ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ron Parker coming back? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291311)

O.city 03-18-2015 10:14 AM

I'd still imagine they look at a safety somewhere in the draft.

ThaVirus 03-18-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11390160)

They had a post-FA power ranking article on NFL.com that had the Chiefs at #9. Whoever wrote the article said he had the Chiefs taking "a safety or wideout at #18 and possibly an ILB somewhere in the early rounds".

Frosty 03-18-2015 10:48 AM

They don't need another safety, since they still have Sorenson. Right, ThaVirus?

:)

ThaVirus 03-18-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11390224)
They don't need another safety, since they still have Sorenson. Right, ThaVirus?

Unfortunately I have to chill out on the Sorenson jokes. Scott Free and Sacc actually think I'm racist 😔

ThaVirus 03-18-2015 12:10 PM

Sorenson is a turd, though.

DJ's left nut 03-18-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11390160)

The NFL Network idiots this morning had the Chiefs looking at Landon Collins.

This is why I don't listen to the national media - they know far less about the Chiefs than we know.

At this point I'd be stunned if the Chiefs took a box safety at 18. I don't think Sutton has any particular use for one and I damn sure don't think Dorsey would take one that high.

O.city 03-18-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11390366)
The NFL Network idiots this morning had the Chiefs looking at Landon Collins.

This is why I don't listen to the national media - they know far less about the Chiefs than we know.

At this point I'd be stunned if the Chiefs took a box safety at 18. I don't think Sutton has any particular use for one and I damn sure don't think Dorsey would take one that high.

Yeah, ew.

chiefzilla1501 03-18-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11390127)
And there's the problem we'd all run into - the 'buy in' factor.

Honestly, the responsibilities of the job itself don't scare me. GM's aren't actually analyzing tape - they don't have nearly enough time to do so and frankly most of them wouldn't be as skilled at it as the lifer coaches they could hire to do the same. Specialization in the workforce works everywhere, including the NFL. Obviously their job on that front, as you said, is to administer a scouting department.

Negotiating agreements (with stubborn assholes), juggling budgets, administering and leading a staff - shit, I do that everyday. That is my job and truth be told, I'm pretty damn good at it. That side of the house doesn't bother me either. It would take some doing, but I'm able to do this job well half-assing it; if I used my whole ass I'd be just fine.

But the inescapable truth is that I could never EVER get a group of football lifers who have busted their asses in the sport for 30 years to line up behind me. I'd have guys undercutting me at every turn. There'd be back-biting and in-fighting all over the office; people that are just dead certain that you have pictures of Clark blowing a circus animal.

None of us could ever get the 'buy in' we'd need. I think several people on the board have the intelligence, knowledge and administrative skills to run an NFL team better than some of the clowns that have done so. The fact that a GM isn't all about raw football knowledge and scouting is what makes that possible (because none of us could even begin to be an NFL head coach). On paper, it would be theoretically doable. And even on paper you'd need a year or so serving an apprenticeship just to get your bearing about you. In reality, however, you just can't step into that powerful a role in that large of an organization with no history and expect people to listen to you. You'll never get smart scouts to work for you. You'll never assemble a group of solid lieutenants.

You'd essentially have to surround yourself with cronies, lackeys and sycophants (y'know, kinda like Pioli...and Obama). The staff any of us would be able to assemble would suck balls and as a consequence, we would as well.

I agree with you, except that even the administrative and operational piece has to be pretty damn hard. You're running a big business, basically, with a lot of employees and a shitload on the line. Takes a special set of skills and experience to have the chops for that.

The politics and negotiation, you're right, takes this thing to a whole other level.

Frosty 03-18-2015 12:52 PM

I don't know about the "Planeteer running a draft" thing but in 2009, Pioli could have taken the BPA off of Walter's 7 round mock and ended up with a better draft. :shake:

The Franchise 03-18-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11390224)

Don't forget Commings.

Frosty 03-18-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11390517)
Don't forget Commings.

True

I'm mostly giving ThaVirus crap since he is such a big Sorenson fan and all.

DJ's left nut 03-18-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11390416)
I agree with you, except that even the administrative and operational piece has to be pretty damn hard. You're running a big business, basically, with a lot of employees and a shitload on the line. Takes a special set of skills and experience to have the chops for that.

The politics and negotiation, you're right, takes this thing to a whole other level.

It does.

I just think it's silly to dismiss out of hand the possibility that some folks on this board may have that set of chops. We aren't all pizza boy/bartenders.

DaneMcCloud 03-18-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11390532)
It does.

I just think it's silly to dismiss out of hand the possibility that some folks on this board may have that set of chops. We aren't all pizza boy/bartenders.

Exactly. Running a football team is no different than being a VP, President or CEO of a multinational corporation. Hire the best people available, put your faith and trust in them to do their job, until it's proven otherwise.

Out of all of the major sports, I think that running an NFL franchise would be the easiest. Drafting and developing baseball players is the long game, as is the NBA (outside most lottery picks). Since there are no guaranteed contracts and a salary cap, cutting and signing players is much easier, IMO.

Mav 03-18-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11390544)
Exactly. Running a football team is no different than being a VP, President or CEO of a multinational corporation. Hire the best people available, put your faith and trust in them to do their job, until it's proven otherwise.

Out of all of the major sports, I think that running an NFL franchise would be the easiest. Drafting and developing baseball players is the long game, as is the NBA (outside most lottery picks). Since there are no guaranteed contracts and a salary cap, cutting and signing players is much easier, IMO.

Stop with the common sense Dane.

Ffs.

Hootie 03-18-2015 03:42 PM

You sold me. 50% of this board could run an NFL franchise. Clearly, it's easy. You just gotta hire really talented football people!!!

For ****'s sake you're all reeruned