ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU *** Official 2014-15 Mizzou Basketball Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287934)

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:16 PM

Remember when we were getting an "X's and O's" coach? About that...

Most great coaches absolutely SALIVATE at the chance to play the "40 minutes of shit" gimmick that MA employs. Remember how many close games we would have against teams that had no business hanging with us? That's what coaching do. Talent might lose a close game, but coaching is responsible for the blowouts; there's no reason you shouldn't be able to take advantage of all those gimmes.

On offense, this team can't break the press, can't dictate the defense, can't establish a post presence, and generally can't buy a shot (let alone a basket). But on defense, where talent excuses are absolutely nil, there's zero fundamentals: no box out, no screen hedges, below-screen shifts, and far too many handchecks. That's on our "tactician" coach.

NewChief 02-18-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 11335109)
Remember when we were getting an "X's and O's" coach? About that...

Most great coaches absolutely SALIVATE at the chance to play the "40 minutes of shit" gimmick that MA employs.

While I get what you're saying, I don't think anyone is really eager to play against Arkansas right now. You're kind of discounting that the Hogs are putting together a pretty good season and fielding the best team talentwise that they've had in years.

But yes, Mizzou's fundamentals look like shit.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11335116)
While I get what you're saying, I don't think anyone is really eager to play against Arkansas right now. You're kind of discounting that the Hogs are putting together a pretty good season and fielding the best team talentwise that they've had in years.

Arkansas gets some benefit from that system at home, but make no mistake: this Arkansas team is not successful due to it's defense, it's all offense. Look back at their performances vs. Auburn and (Miss St?). The press is a shit defense, and is unlikely to produce anything meaningful for Arkansas in the long-run. That's just not something a team that wants to make the Final Four should run; sooner or later you're going to face a coach that knows how to obliterate the press, and it just takes one "off-day" on offense for the season to be over.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11335116)

Also, nothing in my post was derogatory towards Arkansas' talent. Their talent only marginally changes the defensive pressure, and their talent doesn't (usually) stop our guys from boxing out. I don't like our performance in the fundamental aspects of both offense and defense. MA's half-court defense isn't anything to write home about, even on this year's team, and we there's no excuse for us to not at least find a shot.

BTW, just as I say that, I see the ONE play we should be running every time. Find the entry passer on the streak and, SHOCKINGLY, an open layup.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:31 PM

And TWICE. Looks like Kim might've figured out "plan A" for breaking the press, for now. Expect him to out-think himself and abandon it immediately.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:32 PM

This is the stupidest basketball team I can recall.

NewChief 02-18-2015 09:32 PM

Welp. There's a SportsCenter top 10.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:34 PM

**** me, that was impressive. And on one of his rare possessions with no travel!

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11335142)
Welp. There's a SportsCenter top 10.

I was going to suggest that you take your bullshit to Hogville, but then I remembered that literate folk aren't too welcome there. :D

NewChief 02-18-2015 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 11335145)
I was going to suggest that you take your bullshit to Hogville, but then I remembered that literate folk aren't too welcome there.

Yeah. Since discovering the SECrant, I don't really post on Hogville.

On Hogville, I literally can't tell the difference between posters who are trying to be funny by playing a character (ala Hog Farmer) and posters who are legitimately stupid. It's not helped out by the fact that the ones are trying to be funny aren't really very funny.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11335149)

On Hogville, I literally can't tell the difference between posters who are trying to be funny by playing a character (ala Hog Farmer) and posters who are legitimately stupid. It's not helped out by the fact that the ones are trying to be funny aren't really very funny.

I'm not convinced that a couple posters there aren't just Karl Childers mults.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11335149)

I've heard of SECrant a few times in the past couple months. Is that decent?

Pepe Silvia 02-18-2015 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 11335154)

The mizzou fans are the worst on that board, they think Anderson is going to get the job done.

NewChief 02-18-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 11335154)

It's pretty great, imo. Very similar to Chiefsplanet. Lots of inside jokes. Lots of shit talk between teams, but also lots of collegiality among fans.

The user interface is pretty freaking outdated, though.

Edit: and I'll echo PackerinMo. The Mizzou fans aren't very good representatives of the fanbase on there. They're kind of idiots.

Stanley Nickels 02-18-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 11335156)
The mizzou fans are the worst on that board, they think Anderson is going to get the job done.

Never mind.