ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Somebody's gotta have the inside scoop on Google Fiber launching tomorrow..?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261759)

GloryDayz 10-15-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 11805908)
Giggity. Nearly two years after signing up and paying the deposit, install done today. Time Warner told to shove it.

It took 4 transfers before they found somebody who could cancel service in Missouri.

But all things being equal, had Time Warner upped to 300Mbps (up and down), and matched GF's rates, I'd have stayed.

I know some of it was familiarity with ther setup, but beyond the raw sppeds I check every morning, I'm not sure I've seen anything with GF that's leaps and bounds better than TWC. Add to it that 99% of what I do on the Internet never touches more than 100Mbps, I'm not sure GF's speed shows beyand that every-morning speed test. Hell, they had freebe upgraded us to 60Mbps (when it was evident that GF was coming), and the things I do on the Internet were as good at that point as they are now with GF. And I telework at least 4 days a week, so I use me some Internet and VPN. And not offering a hard phone, while solved with Ooma, still took all the getting Ooma too. So there's that.

So I love the speed, but we all know that few things on the Internet can use those speeds today. Beyond that the picture isn't any better, the PC-based offer sucks by comparison, the away from home experience isn't even a possibility with GF (not that it was killer with TWC, but there was something!), and the interface is going to take some getting used to.

I guess I'm just trying to be honest and not put too much weight on the Gig aspect (since it's hard to really use functionally).

Oh, and no picture-in-a-picture! LOL!

penguinz 10-26-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11805924)
It took 4 transfers before they found somebody who could cancel service in Missouri.

But all things being equal, had Time Warner upped to 300Mbps (up and down), and matched GF's rates, I'd have stayed.

I know some of it was familiarity with ther setup, but beyond the raw sppeds I check every morning, I'm not sure I've seen anything with GF that's leaps and bounds better than TWC. Add to it that 99% of what I do on the Internet never touches more than 100Mbps, I'm not sure GF's speed shows beyand that every-morning speed test. Hell, they had freebe upgraded us to 60Mbps (when it was evident that GF was coming), and the things I do on the Internet were as good at that point as they are now with GF. And I telework at least 4 days a week, so I use me some Internet and VPN. And not offering a hard phone, while solved with Ooma, still took all the getting Ooma too. So there's that.

So I love the speed, but we all know that few things on the Internet can use those speeds today. Beyond that the picture isn't any better, the PC-based offer sucks by comparison, the away from home experience isn't even a possibility with GF (not that it was killer with TWC, but there was something!), and the interface is going to take some getting used to.

I guess I'm just trying to be honest and not put too much weight on the Gig aspect (since it's hard to really use functionally).

Oh, and no picture-in-a-picture! LOL!

GD... Are they still providing the Nexus Tablet with the install?

Box was installed and terminated on the house over the weekend so should be able to schedule install soon!

Sully 10-26-2015 08:41 AM

Installed coming Friday. Internet and cable.

Dr. Gigglepants 10-26-2015 08:41 AM

No tablet, but the app is good, just get that on your phone and you can do a lot. Set DVR from anywhere, watch TV if you're on your home network, probably more that I don't really need or know about
Posted via Mobile Device

Valiant 10-26-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11771209)
They have a completely free option if you pay the $300 construction fee, but it's not very fast.

Uhh? It is faster than anything TW offers. And the fact that it is free for 7 years after you pay 300 is even better.

Valiant 10-26-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11771783)
Box got put on the house 3 days ago. Getting close.

Mine got pushed back 3 months last year.Took about 2 months after they put the box in the yard to get the appointment in.

Once you get it though, it is great.

kepp 10-26-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 11837121)
Uhh? It is faster than anything TW offers. And the fact that it is free for 7 years after you pay 300 is even better.

Unless it has changed since I first had my install, the "free for 7 years" option is 5mb down, 1mb up.

Valiant 10-26-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11771628)
AT&T just started offering Gigapower in my area for roughly Googles price

$70 a month for 1gig internet. Or $120 a month for tv and 1gig internet combined.
Anyone have it?

That is good of them, I would ask about their latency guarantee or what latency numbers they have for that package.

Valiant 10-26-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 11837124)
Unless it has changed since I first had my install, the "free for 7 years" option is 5mb down, 1mb up.

It is more of a latency thing, it is under 5ms always. Time warner is usually 80ms at their best.

kepp 10-26-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 11837126)
That is good of them, I would ask about their latency guarantee or what latency numbers they have for that package.

And usage caps.

Valiant 10-26-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 11805908)
Giggity. Nearly two years after signing up and paying the deposit, install done today. Time Warner told to shove it.

Have you been to the TW store yet to return your boxes. I have never seen such poor sports. They literally shit talked on google out loud, and told other customers their speeds were a lie.

The only thing I do not like about them is no AMC yet, and their on demand window I do not like how it functions. I am sure I am missing something though on making it more difficult to use.

Valiant 10-26-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 11837131)
And usage caps.

Not sure about any caps.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/

GloryDayz 10-26-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 11837062)
GD... Are they still providing the Nexus Tablet with the install?

Box was installed and terminated on the house over the weekend so should be able to schedule install soon!

They did not. And they would only run one cable too. I think others reported that when theirs was installed they got the tablet and the installer would pretty-much run as many drops as they wanted.

Dave Lane 10-26-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11771606)
They updated the installation map.

central joco under construction now
West joco sign up by Nov 19th
entire eastern side of joco bumped to 2016 :cuss:

Leawood bumped to never. Mother****ers.

Dave Lane 10-26-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11837064)
Installed coming Friday. Internet and cable.

Can I come live with you?