ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

RealSNR 05-21-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9695889)
I hated this movie! But I loved it and will go see it multiple times!

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was not a good movie.

I still liked it.

In this case, the movie was an adaptation of a universe based on a set of stories, which had been re-imagined, remade, retold, and revamped dozens of times on film and television. There is no "hardcare" Sherlock Holmes fan (at least I have yet to meet one) that complained that those movies are hardly at all in the TRUE spirit of Sherlock Holmes, because the character and the setting has been done dozens of different ways.

Not so for Star Trek. Like it or not, there IS a standard that should at least be considered when doing these movies. You can recast it. Fine. You can change the course of events in the timeline. Uhh... okay, sure, why not? You can apply different roles and functions for each character and element. Excellent, that's exactly what you should be doing.

But you should NOT try to make a Frankenstein's monster of different lines and references all while uncreatively inversing the roles instead of changing them and creating something NEW.

That's the problem I have with it. That doesn't mean it wasn't fun and entertaining. But it doesn't mean it's a good movie.

007 05-22-2013 12:30 AM

Saw it tonight. I can understand why some really don't like it. It entertained me as a movie goer but as a Trek fan it did fall kind of short for me in the third act.

Spoiler!

That being said, this cast is still great and I'll take it for what it is. I really entertaining popcorn flick.

Hammock Parties 05-22-2013 08:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/9LiKu5D.jpg

unlurking 05-23-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9701685)

:bang:

bevischief 05-23-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9701685)

LMAO

Reaper16 05-23-2013 08:36 PM

Just saw it. I was entertained, but the script is really shit. There was no resolution. By the time the denouement was underway I didn't yet realize that the climax had ended.

Spoiler!

Chiefs Pantalones 05-23-2013 08:52 PM

0-2 so far for me with summer blockbusters. I didn't really like IM3 and same with this movie. Hopefully Man of Steel gets the crappy taste out of my mouth and go 1-2.

Reaper16 05-23-2013 08:53 PM

To be fair, by "the script is really shit," I mean that it is really, truly terrible. This is a horrible movie.

Hammock Parties 05-23-2013 09:17 PM

Reaper, you're my boy.

The movie had absolutely zero emotional payoff.

Oh, Kirk died saving the Enterprise, and Spock had a generic fistfight and they captured Khan. Oh and Kirk was predictably resurrected?

Oh. Ok. Well, that was cool. I guess.

whoman69 05-23-2013 09:24 PM

Worst kept secret ever.

Buehler445 05-24-2013 07:41 AM

I saw it Sunday. I've been busy as ****, but I had some thoughts.

I really can't disagree with the haters, but I probably have lower standards than you guys. I liked (not necessarily loved) it. I had a big douchey grin on my face the whole time. I thought the story was good enough. They did a good job with the character development and of course the graphics were good.

I left entertained and that is what I paid for.

siberian khatru 05-24-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9704987)
To be fair, by "the script is really shit," I mean that it is really, truly terrible. This is a horrible movie.

I started out "meh," and I've been liking it less the more I've thought about it.

Reaper16 05-24-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9705958)
I started out "meh," and I've been liking it less the more I've thought about it.

Me too.

Abrams needs to learn that "making an alternate version of an already existing Star Trek story but reversing some character roles" does not make for a good idea. This whole movie was
Spoiler!

It really doesn't get any deeper than that.

Then there are the dozens of plot holes.
Spoiler!

I'm not even a Star Trek fan. I've probably seen less than twenty full episodes of TNG and the other series I've seen less than 5 full episodes of each. So I'm not having an angry fanboy reaction. I'm having an angry moviegoer reaction.

bowener 05-24-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9706728)
Me too.

Abrams needs to learn that "making an alternate version of an already existing Star Trek story but reversing some character roles" does not make for a good idea. This whole movie was
Spoiler!

It really doesn't get any deeper than that.

Then there are the dozens of plot holes.
Spoiler!

I'm not even a Star Trek fan. I've probably seen less than twenty full episodes of TNG and the other series I've seen less than 5 full episodes of each. So I'm not having an angry fanboy reaction. I'm having an angry moviegoer reaction.

I think somebody mentioned it in here, but I love how there was no mention of how death itself has now been cured in their world. And I am curious if Kirk will now be a superhuman in the following shit film.

Reaper16 05-24-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9706895)
I think somebody mentioned it in here, but I love how there was no mention of how death itself has now been cured in their world. And I am curious if Kirk will now be a superhuman in the following shit film.

He'd better not be. Or rather, only if that sick girl from the opening scene is. But, yeah, the world is ostensibly without death, a fact that will be completely forgotten about in the next one.