ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2017-2018 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306817)

KChiefs1 04-22-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stargazer (Post 12835048)
Hearing Knox isn't happening which could be one reason for Jontay's possible re-classification.

I just got told something from someone who knows some inside information that Jontay reclassifying has a lot to do with Kevin Knox's recruitment & how he would be more likely to play for Mizzou if he could play with the Porter brothers.

Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAUTO 04-22-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12835136)
I just got told something from someone who knows some inside information that Jontay reclassifying has a lot to do with Kevin Knox's recruitment & how he would be more likely to play for Mizzou if he could play with the Porter brothers.

Interesting

I heard the same thing last night at dinner

Jewish Rabbi 04-22-2017 12:42 PM

I ran into Cuonzo at Best Buy this morning and when I asked if we'd get both Knox and Jontay he just gave me a smile and a wink.

SAUTO 04-22-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 12835165)
I ran into Cuonzo at Best Buy this morning and when I asked if we'd get both Knox and Jontay he just gave me a smile and a wink.

Everyone loves a ****ing smart ass.

Stanley Nickels 04-22-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12833225)
Damnit

@OscarGambler: Yeah, Kevin Knox is going to Duke.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_...gif?1413568033

KChiefs1 04-22-2017 06:58 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...1603faefa.html

2. HOOPS RECRUITING CONTINUES
All quiet on the Jeremiah Tilmon front. Kevin Knox II hosted coaches from his five finalists on Tuesday (Florida State and Kentucky) and Wednesday (North Carolina, Mizzou and Duke).

And, a new name has since emerged as a guard option for Mizzou: Canisius grad transfer Kassius Robertson. Read more about this recruiting development.

On Mizzou athletics recovering from the 2015 campus protests and racial unrest: “We went through a couple tough years on campus with things that happened. We stubbed our toe a little bit. That impacted some recruiting, which is unfortunate, because what we went through on campus is going to propel us to be an even greater campus. We didn’t sweep things under the rug. We’re addressing things head on and learning from them and being open minded and growing from them. That’s awesome. That’s why it’s going to help us become that much stronger. When you’re going through it, it might hurt you a little bit, but in the big picture, some of the things we’ve put in place not only in the athletic department but on campus it’ll help us grow.”

4. QUIN AT 50
It was 18 years ago this month that Missouri handed its men’s basketball program over to Quin Snyder, then just a 32-year-old Duke assistant with no head-coaching experience. The Tigers are now on their fourth coach since the program unraveled under Snyder’s watch, but at age 50, he’s having his best season in coaching. (And he barely looks a day older than 38.) In his third year as an NBA head coach, Snyder led the injury-riddled Utah Jazz to 51 regular-season wins, the franchise’s best mark in eight years, and the No. 5 seed in the Western Conference playoffs. The Jazz and Clippers are tied 1-1 and play Game 3 Friday in Utah, the franchise’s first home playoff game since 2012.

Snyder has been interviewed countless times since Mizzou fired him in 2006 but he’s rarely discussed his downfall that put him on a long, windy road to Salt Lake City.

“It’s a pretty serious discussion,” Snyder told the Orange County Register this week. “If you would write about that, you could write a book.” (Yes, please!)

When the Jazz hired Snyder away from the Atlanta Hawks’ staff in 2014, it became his sixth coaching job in the pros since he left Mizzou.

“When you go through adversity and you want to keep doing it, you find out you’re in the right place and are doing the right thing,” Snyder said in the interview. “I just try to keep working and keep learning. I just love being around people.”

Newly committed 2018 quarterback James Foster was bumped up to a four-star recruit by ESPN.com and ranks as the nation’s No. 89 overall prospect for next year’s class and the No. 5 dual-threat quarterback.

KChiefs1 04-23-2017 08:55 AM

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-the-nike-eybl

Jontay Porter
Power forward
Nathan Hale
Seattle, WA
Ht: 6'9"
Wt: 240 lbs

His day: Jontay Porter has continued his ascent into the top-25 of his class and Saturday sure didn’t hurt the cause. Super-efficient, the 6-foot-9 junior scored 15 points and grabbed 15 rebounds as he helped keep his team out of the loss column.

Quote: “Not many teams have really hit me up since they all think that I am going to Missouri, which is a pretty good assumption. But my recruitment is pretty open. I have talked to Wisconsin little bit.”

Prediction: Porter told Rivals that he would be taking an official visit to Missouri on Monday. His father, brother and two sisters each are members of the respective basketball programs at Mizzou.

Porter will also be by the end of the week.

KChiefs1 04-23-2017 03:56 PM

This confirms the rumors that with Jontay Porter committing to Mizzou that the experts believe that's a key to Knox.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f71a57d59e.jpg

dlphg9 04-23-2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12836341)
This confirms the rumors that with Jontay Porter committing to Mizzou that the experts believe that's a key to Knox.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f71a57d59e.jpg

Is this saying they believe Knox is going to Mizzou?

patteeu 04-23-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 12836493)

It looks like it says someone named Andrew Slater believes that. :shrug:

dlphg9 04-23-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12836494)
It looks like it says someone named Andrew Slater believes that. :shrug:

That's what I meant

KChiefs1 04-23-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 12836493)

Yes, he's with 247.

http://247sports.com/User/Andrew%20Slater

KChiefs1 04-23-2017 07:07 PM

Heard that this guy is transferring & is visiting Mizzou. Have no idea if it's a mutual interest.

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=20500

KChiefs1 04-24-2017 01:49 PM

****Official 2017-2018 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread****

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sport...u-visit-monday

Jontay Porter set for official MU visit Monday
By Daniel Jones

It didn’t take long for the spotlight to swing onto Jontay Porter after his older brother, Michael Porter Jr., committed to Missouri on March 24.

The possibility that Jontay, who is about to finish his junior year of high school, might graduate early to enter the Class of 2017 has become a leading question for Missouri basketball’s short-term outlook.

Jontay, who is 6-foot-10 and 235 pounds, is going on an official visit to MU on Monday. He’s entering the visit with Coach Cuonzo Martin and the Tigers staff with his options open.

“I’m going to get to know the coaches better,” he told the Tribune in a phone interview Sunday evening. “There’s nothing I need to see on campus. I’ve already been around it, so I know it’s a great campus.”

Jontay said his decision ultimately comes down to two factors. If he graduates early, he’ll get to play with his older brother. He said that’s the only reason he’d reclassify.

The motivation to stay one more year in high school is to embrace the role of a team’s No. 1 guy, a role that Michael has always filled on Jontay’s teams in the past. Jontay said his emphasis this summer is to “fine-tune” his game and improve offensively.

If Jontay’s first four games in the Elite Youth Basketball League with MOKAN Elite are any indication, it’s a role that suits him. MOKAN went 4-0 in the EYBL’s first session in Hampton, Va. Porter averaged 19.2 points (10th in the league) and 13.0 rebounds (second). He shot 60.9 percent from the field, 50 percent from 3-point range (11 of 22) and scored 30 points in MOKAN’s opening game against the Georgia Stars on Saturday.

“It’s really the first time I’ve been forced to” be the alpha dog, Porter said. “It’s always been in me, but now I’m not playing behind the No. 1 player in the country.”

According to Porter, the fact that Missouri is recruiting Kevin Knox and Jeremiah Tilmon for 2017 hasn’t played much of a role in his decision-making process.

“A lot of people are assuming that I’m going to tie my recruitment to other recruits, but that’s not at all true,” Porter said. “If me, Kevin and Jeremiah all want to go, I’m sure Cuonzo will find a way to make that work.”

Porter said not a lot of schools have reached out about recruiting him for the Class of 2018 because many figure that he’ll attend Missouri, where his dad, Michael Porter Sr., is an assistant coach. One school that Porter has maintained an interest in is Wisconsin, where his friend Tyler Herro is committed for 2018.

Regardless of what he decides, Porter doesn’t expect to drag out the process. He said he plans on making a final decision before the end of the summer.

Email Daniel Jones at dmjones@columbiatribune.com or call 815-1788

Pitt Gorilla 04-24-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12836524)
Heard that this guy is transferring & is visiting Mizzou. Have no idea if it's a mutual interest.

Would be a perfect player for Mizzou.

Sure-Oz 04-24-2017 04:19 PM

@GabeDeArmond: Hearing from multiple sources #Mizzou won’t be the choice for Kevin Knox. Tigers made strong late effort, but that leaves NC, Duke, UK, FSU

KChiefs1 04-24-2017 05:29 PM

http://insidestl.com/dave-matter-tal...n-knox/1996774

Dave Matter Talks Jontay Porter’s Possible Reclassification, Mizzou’s Chances of Getting Tilmon, Knox

Jeremiah Tilmon
St. Louis Post-Dispatch University of Missouri beat writer Dave Matter joined Frank Cusumano on The Press Box to talk about the latest recruiting developments surrounding the Tigers men’s basketball team.

Read some excerpts and listen to the full conversation below:

What can you tell us about the reclassification and recruitment of Jontay Porter, the five-star prospect and little brother of Michael Porter, Jr.?

“Jontay is taking his official visit to Missouri today. I think it’s more of a chance to talk to the coaches and really decide if he wants to reclassify or not. He would be passing up a lot of things if he decides to skip his senior year. He wouldn’t be able to play in the McDonald’s All-American game or any other all-star games his brother did. He’d be sacrificing all that attention to play with his brother and to play at Mizzou this fall. He’s got a big decision to make.”

“This is his chance to play with his brother (one more time and at the national level). If that’s more important to him than the attention…then I think he’ll lean towards wanting to play at Mizzou this year.”

Do you think Jontay deciding to reclassify would alter Jeremiah Tilmon’s decision since are both post players?

“They’re similarly-sized guys…Jontay is less of a pure post player than Tilmon. Missouri could go from having no size at all or not much size to having a wealth of it (if they end up getting both). I think these two decisions are independent of eachother.”

“I don’t know for sure if Tilmon is a 30-minute a guy as a freshman. He’s obviously talented, but unless you’re an NBA one-and-done prospect…you’re going to have a learning curve.”

On the chances Mizzou gets Kevin Knox:

“It’s so hard to handicap these things. I just think Missouri is going to be in the running until the end. Missouri has got a chance, a decent chance, until we finally hear a decision (Kevin Knox).”

Podcast: Play in new window | Download

KChiefs1 04-25-2017 05:41 PM

Cuonzo interview:

https://youtu.be/bb_Cct4yxCw

KChiefs1 05-02-2017 11:13 AM

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sport...th-to-columbia

Cuonzo Martin was once reluctant to coach, but cancer set him on a path to Columbia

By Daniel Jones

Cuonzo Martin still remembers the hospital room in Indianapolis 19 years ago.

Martin is sitting at the desk in his new office at Mizzou Arena, an organized work space mostly devoid of distractions. He is the highest-paid basketball coach in Missouri history, the one orchestrating a basketball revolution with the Tigers that helped bring the nation’s top high school player to campus and reignited an apathetic fan base.

Gene Keady, Martin’s college coach at Purdue, thinks a movie should be made based on Martin’s life. His story is one of endurance in overcoming obstacles, but even in that context, the hospital room is a seminal moment. It was a night that changed his life profoundly — a night that made him question if he would see his kids grow old, a night that would test his faith, a night that set him on a career path that led him to Tennessee and to California and, eventually, to Columbia.

Martin describes the hospital room in a quiet tone. His deep voice nears a whisper.

He was half-asleep on the bed in the dead of night, waiting on a diagnosis for an unidentified lung problem at 26 years old. A doctor stood just to his left. Martin’s 24-year old wife, Roberta, and 4-month old son, Joshua, lingered behind the doctor.

It had been a long journey to that hospital room. The trio had just left Rome and connected in New York. It was well after midnight by the time they had reached the hospital in Indianapolis, where Martin underwent X-rays, blood work and a number of other tests to determine why his lungs weren’t working right.

The issue had derailed Martin’s basketball career in Italy, draining him of his athleticism and stamina. Doctors abroad told him they thought it was bronchitis and that he needed to get back to the U.S. immediately.

Martin was exhausted. Then the doctor spoke. They found a baseball-sized tumor in Martin’s chest.

“I don’t know if you’re going to die,” the doctor told Martin, “but this is life-threatening.”

Martin shifted his head and glanced at Roberta.

“I don’t really know what I was feeling,” he said. “Just like, wow.”

Persistence had defined Martin’s career to that point, but this — cancer, more specifically Non-Hodgkin lymphoma — was not like making it out of East St. Louis, Ill., not like playing through persistent knee problems, not like winning the Big Ten with Purdue or getting drafted into the NBA or making it over to Europe for a professional career.

This, he had no control over.

“Just whatever God’s plan is at that point,” Martin said. “That part was tough. I’d seen and been exposed to a lot of things. ... But in that particular case, you can’t control the outcome. You just have to, whatever Doc says, follow his lead. Hopefully it works.”

Martin doesn’t know why the neighborhood of East St. Louis he grew up in is called “The Hole,” but his best guess is the topography. He makes a bowl shape with his hands to describe the lay of the land, a basin with a cluster of project houses in the center.

“You gotta go down,” he said. “Maybe that’s it, how it looks like a hole.”

Martin’s mother, Sandra, provided his first lesson in resiliency. “You gotta make your world,” she taught him. There were no excuses. The family didn’t have much, Martin said, but Sandra provided enough food and clothes for him and his siblings to get by.

Basketball got Martin to Purdue, even on a knee that required two surgeries in high school. He never deluded himself with dreams of a long playing career, knowing his knee wouldn’t hold up long after college if it got that far at all.

“People said he’d never play here because he had both knees bone on bone,” said Keady, who coached Martin for four years at Purdue, “but they didn’t know Zo very well.”

He helped the Boilermakers to Big Ten titles in 1994 and 1995 and was named All-Big Ten as a senior in 1995. He never forgot home: Martin sent the Pell Grant checks he got in college back to his mom in Illinois.

Martin was drafted at No. 57 by the Atlanta Hawks in 1995 but only played seven games in the NBA. He didn’t have a long-term plan, and back then his thoughts never drifted toward coaching. He had only one thought when he left school.

“My whole goal, outside of what I was doing, was to take care of my mom,” Martin said. “That was my goal. Whatever that meant.”

Melvin Booker still recalls the 1993-94 season when he became familiar with Martin for the first time.

“Zo was playing at Purdue the same time I was playing at Missouri. They were one of the top teams in the country my senior year,” Booker said. “I still joke with him today, they stole our No. 1 seed in the” Southeast “that year because they gave it to Purdue and sent us out west.”

Missouri eventually reached the Elite Eight before losing to Arizona in Los Angeles, and Purdue lost to Duke in the same round in Knoxville, Tenn. After Martin graduated, the pair became teammates with the Grand Rapids Mackers — later renamed the Grand Rapids Hoops — of the Continental Basketball Association.

“It was a great time,” Booker said. “I think we had a really great team, really great chemistry on that squad. Zo and I, we were probably the closest ones on the team.”

For Martin, the CBA provided an environment unlike any other level. It was cutthroat, even among teammates, as players were constantly shipped out to new teams and everyone fought for an opportunity to climb the ladder. But the team in Grand Rapids was different.

“My high school team was great, college was great, but in the CBA, it was a certain type of bond that I’ll never forget,” Martin said. ... “Normally in those leagues, everybody’s kind of selfish. I need to get mine, because everybody’s trying to make it to the NBA. But we had a great mix of guys that all we wanted to do was win.”

The bond Booker and Martin developed as teammates was so close that Booker was the first person to call Martin after his cancer diagnosis.

Four months into his playing career in Italy, Martin’s health deteriorated. He had a hard time catching his breath on the court. He lost 30 pounds — dropping from 215 to 185 — after moving abroad.

He was perplexed by the weight loss, though he thought little of it. His former teammate Ian Stanback lost 50 pounds after moving to Portugal to play professionally.

“I would always have” Stanback “kinda in my mind,” Martin said. “Like, ‘He lost a lot of weight. Maybe it’s something in the food or water, I don’t know.’ I would eat the food, and I would have it in my mouth, and I would just put it in a napkin. I really wasn’t eating it. I was tricking myself.”

Team doctors convinced him to go back to the United States after he passed out during a practice. Roberta and Joshua had just moved to Italy a month prior.

That’s when they found cancer.

Martin said he gave his life to Christ as a senior in college, and he remains devout. An open Bible is one of the few things that adorns his desk at Mizzou Arena.

But the cancer diagnosis gave him questions without easy answers. Why would he have just been blessed with a son if cancer was going to take his life?

“So many unknowns. Almost as if I was communicating with God from the standpoint, ‘Man, he’s only 4 months old,’” Martin said.

He chuckles.

“Not that I’m stepping on God’s toes or anything, but, man, ‘You gave him to me.’”

Two days after the diagnosis, Martin prayed that he would see Joshua turn 18.

“I think the thing that goes in your head oftentimes is, ‘I don’t think I was a bad guy,’” Martin said. “Then you say, ‘Why me? Why does that happen to me?’ After a while you move forward and say, ‘Why not me? Who am I, at the end of the day?’ And you deal with it from that perspective.”

Martin’s face changes when he talks about chemotherapy. His eyes close as his eyebrows raise, creating a face that universally signals a memory of pain. The treatment was so debilitating that Martin, resigned to the couch, often moved around less than his infant son.

His mind goes back. He can still remember the taste the treatments left in his mouth. He lost his eyebrows, his facial hair. He presses his fingers against the desk, remembering how they used to lose their feeling.

“My fingers sometimes, I could be touching this, but it feels like I’m not touching it,” he said.

Martin slowly regained his strength on the back of steroid treatments and his own stubborn resiliency. But his playing career was over. Keady encouraged him to get into coaching.

“It’s unfortunate that ended his career, but look at him now,” Booker said. “He’s one of the best coaches in America.”

When Martin was at Missouri State, Booker prodded him on eventually moving to Missouri. He jokes that he brought it up so much that “it’s been talked into existence.”

Martin still coaches with the memory of leaving his own mom behind in East St. Louis to go to college decades ago. It was the first time he’d ever left home. He said it explains the way he deals with the parents of players.

“Now as I’m older,” Martin said, “I think, as a mom, that has to be a scary feeling. ‘I’m excited that my son is moving on and making himself a better person, but 18 years old ... . He doesn’t really know what he’s getting into. Who’s gonna take care of him? Who’s going to look out for him? Do the coaches really care for him? Are they really going to do right by him?’ There’s so many unknowns as a parent.”

That approach, combined with his history, fit right in with Jim Sterk’s vision for Missouri’s next coach.

“He’s been forged — his personality and his strength of character and those kinds of things have been tested as a young kid growing up,” Sterk said. “He had a great mom that raised him through that. Then his cancer, having to fight through that ... when you go through a life-threatening health scare, I think you gain a perspective on life and appreciate things a lot more.”

The night in the hospital shifted the course of his life, setting Martin on a path that eventually led to Columbia.

In his office at Mizzou Arena, Martin is asked when he knew he was finally going to get through cancer, finally beat it once and for all.

“I still don’t,” he said. “That’s the truth.”

Cancer is as much a part of him as East St. Louis, as his bum knee, as the coaching spirit he discovered after his playing career ended.

“They say after five years, the chances of it returning are just like anybody else,” he said. “But in my world, it could be any day now. If I see something on my body that doesn’t look normal, then it’s like, ‘Oh, man.’ I guess I’ve been in remission since 1998, but every day it’s there. It could be any day.

“That’s how I see it. Not that I’m walking around worried and scared, but that’s the reality.”

Email Daniel Jones at dmjones@columbiatribune.com or call 815-1787

TomBarndtsTwin 05-02-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12836524)

Apparently it's official now. He's coming to Mizzou.

Only one scholly left open assuming Jontay reclassifies . . . .

Edit: sorry, not official yet. Source has reported to ESPN it's done.

Sure-Oz 05-02-2017 10:19 PM

@SamTSnelling: Kassius Robertson commits to Missouri http://www.rockmnation.com/2017/5/2/...source=twitter

Shoots 40% from 3 could be a starter a nice weapon from the bench that Mizzou needs either way.

KChiefs1 05-03-2017 07:38 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cb53807359.png

Jerm 05-06-2017 06:09 PM

Knox to Kentucky.....surprised he didn't pick Duke.

Pepe Silvia 05-06-2017 06:29 PM

Can't compete with Cal. If he wants him he will get him.

KChiefs1 05-06-2017 06:44 PM

The SEC keeps getting stronger.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-06-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 12860776)
Knox to Kentucky.....surprised he didn't pick Duke.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

KChiefs1 05-14-2017 08:52 PM

Martin has an in with this kid.

EJ Liddell
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/vid...0-a0369f3c1b4c

phisherman 05-15-2017 09:31 AM

Tilmon to Mizzou!

https://twitter.com/MizzouHoops/stat...40869863165953

DJ's left nut 05-15-2017 09:38 AM

I forgot that Kemp is pretty much a given to transfer at this point so Mizzou will still have a scholarship for Jontay if he re-classifies.

gblowfish 05-15-2017 09:46 AM

We're gonna suck less!!! Hurray!!!

phisherman 05-15-2017 09:52 AM

I don't think this team is going to suck at all.

The lineups trotted out last year were pretty low on talent. That will not be a problem for the coming season.

Will they win 25+ games? I don't know, but they'll sure as shit be a lot more fun to watch.

BlackHelicopters 05-15-2017 09:59 AM

Hooray?

phisherman 05-15-2017 10:09 AM

Nothing? ESPN top 100 guy? Really, nothing?

The team needs talent. That's what they're getting.

Sure-Oz 05-15-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 12872879)

Yeah!!!

duncan_idaho 05-15-2017 11:04 AM

Tilmon and the Porters will be one hell of a front court for Mizzou next year.

WhawhaWhat 05-15-2017 11:10 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rivals and 247 Sports now rate Missouri as the No. 6 recruiting class in the country for 2017 after Tilmon signing: <a href="https://t.co/rBqnCAwN8J">https://t.co/rBqnCAwN8J</a></p>&mdash; Tod Palmer (@todpalmer) <a href="https://twitter.com/todpalmer/status/864161105219907584">May 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KChiefs1 05-15-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12873077)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rivals and 247 Sports now rate Missouri as the No. 6 recruiting class in the country for 2017 after Tilmon signing: <a href="https://t.co/rBqnCAwN8J">https://t.co/rBqnCAwN8J</a></p>— Tod Palmer (@todpalmer) <a href="https://twitter.com/todpalmer/status/864161105219907584">May 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Adding Jontay should make them #2?

KChiefs1 05-15-2017 12:12 PM

https://missouri.rivals.com/news/wha...ing-to-tigers-

The Jeremiah Tilmon saga is now over. Again. And, this time, almost certainly for good.

“It’s certainly been an interesting recruitment to follow,” Rivals.com national basketball analyst Eric Bossi said. “The kid doesn’t say a lot, but there are multiple people who are said to have his ear at one time or another. He commits to Illinois, then he says he’s not gonna sign, then he signs, then I’m sticking with them (after the coaching change) but then I’m backing out. If that’s not a roller coaster of a recruitment I don’t know what is.”

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-15-2017 12:29 PM

While I am ecstatic at the recruiting news we should also remember that USA basketball rolled out teams with immense talent advantages that lost in international tournaments because they didn't play as a team (and also because Larry Brown is a horrific joke of a coach that actually benched LeBron James).

petegz28 05-15-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12873246)
While I am ecstatic at the recruiting news we should also remember that USA basketball rolled out teams with immense talent advantages that lost in international tournaments because they didn't play as a team (and also because Larry Brown is a horrific joke of a coach that actually benched LeBron James).

A ray of sunshine you are.....

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-15-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 12873255)
A ray of sunshine you are.....

I'm not being pessimistic at all. I just don't want people to be upset/pissed with Martin if the team wins 19 games. Sports is much more enjoyable if your expectations are reasonable.

Expecting this team to be ranked, while possible, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Chiefspants 05-15-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12873274)
I'm not being pessimistic at all. I just don't want people to be upset/pissed with Martin if the team wins 19 games. Sports is much more enjoyable if your expectations are reasonable.

Expecting this team to be ranked, while possible, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Andrew Wiggins, in terms of sheer talent, was likely the most talented player Self has had in his time at KU.

He managed four points against an awful Stanford team as KU got bounced in the first weekend.

Freshmen talent is generally strange and unpredictable.

DJ's left nut 05-15-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 12873328)
Andrew Wiggins, in terms of sheer talent, was likely the most talented player Self has had in his time at KU.

He managed four points against an awful Stanford team as KU got bounced in the first weekend.

Freshmen talent is generally strange and unpredictable.

Exactly. And it's so important to make hay early in the season when those kids have no idea how to play together.

I've also heard there may be some clearinghouse/qualifying issues with Tilmon. We can hope that Mizzou did their diligence there already.

Pitt Gorilla 05-15-2017 01:55 PM

I think Mizzou Fan will be happy with winning more games. It would be great to make noise in the tourney, but we've got to walk before we run.

KChiefs1 05-15-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12873396)
I think Mizzou Fan will be happy with winning more games. It would be great to make noise in the tourney, but we've got to walk before we run.

Recovering from the Kim Anderson era would take a normal human years to overcome but Cuonzo did it in a few weeks.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-15-2017 08:33 PM

Damn, hoops blows, but that's an impressive haul of talent.

Pepe Silvia 05-15-2017 08:34 PM

I bet he talks like Arthur Johnson.

Pitt Gorilla 05-18-2017 03:45 PM

You might want to watch this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-hWuYzfpaq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KChiefs1 05-22-2017 07:09 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...73483a89b1.png

Sure-Oz 05-22-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12885034)

Yesss

Pasta Little Brioni 05-22-2017 08:46 PM

Dayum

KChiefs1 05-22-2017 10:09 PM

The Timeline:

- Mizzou basketball regular season ends, which marks the worst three year stretch in Mizzou (and SEC) history.

- Mizzou fires Kim Anderson prior to the SEC Tournament.

- Missouri women’s head basketball Coach Robin Pingeton, sister-in-law to Michael Porter Sr. (who served as assistant coach on her staff prior to 2016) meets with Jim Sterk. Says the Porters would be interested in moving back to Columbia if the right coach is hired and shows Sterk a YouTube highlight reel of Michael Porter Jr.

- Sterk calls Cuonzo Martin, his primary target as head coach.

- Mizzou hires Martin on March 15th.

- Also on March 15th, Washington U. AD fires Romar and his assistant coaches, including Michael Porter Sr.

- Porter Sr. meets with Martin.

- Martin hires Porter Sr as an assistant coach.

- Michael Porter Jr. commits to Mizzou.

- C.J. Roberts reaffirms he will play at Mizzou.

- Blake Harris commits to Mizzou.

- Grad-transfer Kassius Robertson commits to Mizzou.

- Jeremiah Tilmon commits to Mizzou.

- Jontay Porter commits to Mizzou.

In 68 days Mizzou basketball went from one of the worst in history to where we are today.

If Jontay reclassifies for 2017 in July, Mizzou could have a Top 5 recruiting class.

I'm ready for basketball season!

Pitt Gorilla 05-22-2017 10:21 PM

Mack Rhoades was a complete POS. THANK YOU, BAYLOR!

|Zach| 05-23-2017 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12873274)

It is really hard to read the tea leaves on how this shakes out. Sort of a weird time because my enjoyment of college hoops has gone down big time and that is independent of Mizzou being super bad it is just such a choppy no rhythm viewing experience but really hoping some good things can happen here and maybe even a little luck. We deserve it.

Eleazar 05-23-2017 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12885344)
The Timeline:

- Mizzou basketball regular season ends, which marks the worst three year stretch in Mizzou (and SEC) history.

- Missouri women’s head basketball Coach Robin Pingeton, sister-in-law to Michael Porter Sr. (who served as assistant coach on her staff prior to 2016) meets with Jim Sterk. Says the Porters would be interested in moving back to Columbia if the right coach is hired and shows Sterk a YouTube highlight reel of Michael Porter Jr.

- Also on March 15th, Washington U. AD fires Romar and his assistant coaches, including Michael Porter Sr.

In 68 days Mizzou basketball went from one of the worst in history to where we are today.

If Jontay reclassifies for 2017 in July, Mizzou could have a Top 5 recruiting class.

:clap:

duncan_idaho 05-23-2017 07:13 AM

I fully expect Jontay Porter to reclassify to 17, shortly after the current EYBL season ends (basically, once he and his dad have established relationships with guys they want to recruit for 18).

With him on board, Reed Nikko and Mitchell Smith are relegated to irrelevance, just like Cullen VanLeer, which is awesome.

Minutes:
120 at the 3 forward spots.

Michael Porter - 35
Tilmon - 20
Jontay Porter - 22
Puryear - 21
Barnett - 22

Backcourt minutes: 80 at 2 spots
Phillips - 28
Robertson - 25
Harris - 12
Roberts - 10

Garbage minutes:
5 to spread amongst the garbage remnants left behind by Kermit Anderson:
VanLeer, Nikko, Smith

Sure-Oz 05-23-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12885363)
Mack Rhoades was a complete POS. THANK YOU, BAYLOR!

No idea why he went there with that football program rape allegations in the air

Codered 05-23-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12885844)
No idea why he went there with that football program rape allegations in the air

Me either, but thank goodness he did!

JohnnyHammersticks 05-23-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12885344)
The Timeline:

Robin Pingeton needs a raise. A 6-figure one.

KChiefs1 05-24-2017 06:50 AM

https://missouri.rivals.com/news/aro...e-of-a-revival

Around Mizzou in 80 Days:
Timeline of a Revival

It has been 80 days since Kim Anderson vacated the position of Missouri Head Basketball Coach. A little less than 12 weeks. Those 12 weeks have taken Mizzou fans from the historic low of 27 wins in three seasons to a nearly unprecedented anticipation for the start of the 2017-18 campaign.

We take a look back at the course of events during this revival of excitement around Mizzou hoops.

MARCH: AN END AND A BEGINNING

The month began with the end of the Kim Anderson era and one final highlight, a buzzer-beating win over Auburn in the SEC Tournament. By the time the calendar turned to April, Missouri had a new head coach, one of the nation's highest-paid assistants and the nation's No. 1 player headed to town.

Take a look back at all the headlines from Mizzou's own version of March Madness.

Sunday, March 5: Kim Anderson out at Mizzou

Wednesday, March 8: Kevin Puryear beats Auburn at the buzzer

Thursday, March 9: The end arrives with a loss to Ole Miss

Saturday, March 11: Illinois fires John Groce

Wednesday, March 15: PowerMizzou reports the Porters are in play

Friday, March 17: Michael Porter Sr. has been offered a job and met with Martin

Monday, March 20: Martin introduced at press conference

Thurdsay, March 23: Michael Porter Jr. released from Washington

Michael Porter Sr. added to coaching staff

Friday, March 24: Michael Porter Jr. commits to Mizzou

Saturday, March 25: Kevin Knox looking at Mizzou visit

Monday, March 27: Knox talks about potential Mizzou visit

Alex Lomax is Martin's first offer

Wednesday, March 29: Porter wins McDonald's MVP, looks forward to coming home

APRIL: A WILD RECRUITING RIDE

While the euphoria of the Michael Porter Jr. news would not wear off for some time (it still hasn't for most), Cuonzo Martin had a roster to assemble. He began doing it by landing a point guard, chasing some stars and exploring the grad transfer market.

April was full of hoops recruiting news. Take a look back at all of it below.

Saturday, April 1: Knox confirms Mizzou visit

Monday, April 3: C.J. Roberts sticks with Mizzou

Tuesday, April 4: KJ Walton, Frankie Hughes transfer out

Martin hires Cornell Mann

Martin hires Chris Hollender

Wednesday, April 5: Jeremiah Tilmon asks out of Illinois LOI

Saturday, April 8: Knox, Porter, Harris visit

Sunday, April 9: Blake Harris commits

Wednesday, April 12: Porter Jr. signs with Mizzou

Thursday, April 13: Harris signs with Mizzou

Tuesday, April 18: Knox sets Mizzou, other in-homes

Saturday, April 22: Canisius transfer Kassius Robertson sets visit

Monday, April 24: Jontay Porter takes official visit

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl visits Missouri

Thursday, April 27: Mamoudou Diarra visits Missouri

MAY: THE MOMENTUM JUST KEEPS ROLLING

When May began, Missouri had two scholarships open and a lot of questions to answer. As the month enters its final week, the roster is virtually set, awaiting just one final announcement from Jontay Porter. Here are the highlights of the last three weeks as Mizzou put the finishing touches on perhaps its best recruiting class ever.

DJ's left nut 05-25-2017 01:41 PM

We can all just assume that Ronnie Suggs is better than Cullen VanLeer, right?

http://www.rockmnation.com/2017/5/25...ssouri-walk-on

Because that would mean that Cuonzo Martin can convince better players to pay for the right to play for him than Anderson could get to come play on scholarship. Suggs is going to sit out a year and take a walk-on gig. I'm guessing his hope is to earn the scholarship in that SR season but that seems like a long-shot.

Jesus...Kim Anderson gave Cullen VanLeer a division one scholly. And was HAPPY about it. He didn't lose a bet to Ben Howland or anything, he did it of his own volition!

I still can't believe that real live people actually thought that hire would work. Unreal.

patteeu 05-25-2017 03:38 PM

Didn't Knox end up picking Kentucky? If so, Hamas, you have "Puke" in the OP.

Pitt Gorilla 05-25-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12889546)

Because that would mean that Cuonzo Martin can convince better players to pay for the right to play for him than Anderson could get to come play on scholarship. Suggs is going to sit out a year and take a walk-on gig. I'm guessing his hope is to earn the scholarship in that SR season but that seems like a long-shot.

Jesus...Kim Anderson gave Cullen VanLeer a division one scholly. And was HAPPY about it. He didn't lose a bet to Ben Howland or anything, he did it of his own volition!

I still can't believe that real live people actually thought that hire would work. Unreal.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with CVL. He very well could be a nice shooter on the wing, given the significant presence we'll have in the post (and elsewhere, honestly).

DJ's left nut 05-25-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12889672)
It'll be interesting to see what happens with CVL. He very well could be a nice shooter on the wing, given the significant presence we'll have in the post (and elsewhere, honestly).

Based on...what?

The guy has never once demonstrated that he's a good shooter. Ever. He gets open looks a lot because nobody bothers to contest him.

Apart from the fact that he's a slow white guy with heavy feet, what makes you think he can actually shoot a basketball well?

No, it will not be interesting to see what happens with VanLeer at all. He should play exactly ZERO minutes for Mizzou next year. Zero. Play walk-ons ahead of him. It will serve him right for not transferring.

This is like people who just assume that catchers who can't hit are good at defense (Nichol's Law) - well if the guy can't hit, he must be a good fielder! That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you end up with Tony Cruz. Tony Cruz was not a major league caliber ANYTHING despite the fact that Matheny insisted on keeping him on the roster. Broadcasters would say he was but they would ignore the fact that he doesn't present a target, doesn't block pitches, can't frame pitches and can't throw out runners. But man oh man you should've heard guys fawn over how steady he was behind the plate (seriously, even a basic understanding of catcher fundamentals showed that he wasn't). he wasn't a major league baseball player and that was made evident when he was mercifully traded and ended up a backup in AAA.

VanLeer isn't a good shooter just because he can't run, pass or play defense. He simply isn't a division 1 caliber basketball player. At all. He sucks something awful.

duncan_idaho 05-25-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12889672)

Nothing he has shown so far as a college player indicates this.

His shot is slow, and he has very little lift on his release. This means that even with LARGE windows, he has to rush his "Natural" shot a little bit to get it off.

And despite Missouri's size, don't look for an offense focused on anchoring a guy to the block. They're going to set it up like IA State's offense, playing a lot of four-out and five-out sets.

VanLeer's butt should be glued to the bench like his shorts are as full of cement as his sneakers are.

KChiefs1 05-25-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12889955)
Nothing he has shown so far as a college player indicates this.

His shot is slow, and he has very little lift on his release. This means that even with LARGE windows, he has to rush his "Natural" shot a little bit to get it off.

And despite Missouri's size, don't look for an offense focused on anchoring a guy to the block. They're going to set it up like IA State's offense, playing a lot of four-out and five-out sets.

VanLeer's butt should be glued to the bench like his shorts are as full of cement as his sneakers are.

I keep hoping he will transfer to Pitt State.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-25-2017 07:16 PM

I met a friend of mine at BWW's during March Madness in 2016. He was there with several of his work acquaintances. One of these guys was talking about how good VanLeer was going to be and how good of a shooter he already was (when he shot 27% from three).

I wanted to cut his brake lines just for being so goddamned stupid.

VanLeer might not even start on a decent DII school. He almost surely the worst player I've ever seen get starter's minutes at Mizzou, and possibly the worst who has ever gotten more than five a game.

I hate him not just because he sucks, but because he's an avatar of the entire blue hair Norm-loving regime.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-25-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12889668)
Didn't Knox end up picking Kentucky? If so, Hamas, you have "Puke" in the OP.

Thanks. Updated.

ChiefsCountry 05-25-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12889546)

Suggs was dog shit at Bradley.

KChiefs1 05-25-2017 10:02 PM

This is an article from 2014 about Ronnie Suggs:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...s-recruitment/

Missouri 2015 commit Ronnie Suggs reopens his recruitment

Kim Anderson has seen early success by retaining assistant coach Tim Fuller and prized recruit Jakeenan Gant. He added to that hot start by landing three-star small forward D’Angelo Allen on Sunday afternoon.

Earlier on Sunday, however, Ronnie Suggs, a 2015 Missouri commit, announced has reopened his recruitment, according to a tweet from Earl Austin Jr.

The Washington High (Mo.) guard committed to the Tigers last August as a member of the Class of 2014, though, he had always intended on delaying his enrollment in the university until the following year.

He is listed as a two-star recruit, according to Rivals, picking Mizzou over offers from Duquesne, Saint Louis, VCU and Xavier. Suggs’ older brother, Scott, played for Lorenzo Romar at Washington.

Suggs committed to Mizzou with Frank Haith as the head coach. Haith wasn’t known for recruiting local talent, mainly relying on transfers. That is likely to change under Anderson, a Missouri native, who has strong ties to high school teams around the state.

Anderson’s goal on the recruiting trail is to keep the talent in-state. That specific strategy didn’t work with the Haith commit, though, there is plenty of local talent the Tigers will surely have their eyes on, such as four-star 2015 point guard Jimmy Whitt and Jayson Tatum, a top-5 player in the Class of 2016.

And as we saw later on Sunday, Anderson has the ability to bring recruits in to Columbia.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-25-2017 10:11 PM

Lulz at the Kimmay knob slobbing in that article. Tribal Elder write that?

Jewish Rabbi 05-25-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12890197)
Lulz at the Kimmay knob slobbing in that article. Tribal Elder write that?

Mosbonian

duncan_idaho 05-26-2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12889961)
I keep hoping he will transfer to Pitt State.

That would be ideal, but he seems content to get zero PT and be able to tell people "I'm a Missouri basketball player."

I hope Kermit and his henchman, the one-balled wonder Jon Gilliam, fail at Pitt State.

Pitt Gorilla 05-27-2017 04:16 PM

Have you heard of this kid? Jontay something...

Jontay Porter shines outside brother's shadow

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...ign=user-share

COLUMBIA, MO. • For the past few weeks Jontay Porter has emerged from the shadow of his older brother on basketball courts in Virginia, Indiana and Georgia. By being on his own, he’s perhaps proved he’s ready to join his brother on Missouri’s roster next season.

Jontay Porter, the 6-11 forward who committed to Mizzou last week, is no longer a sidekick on the Nike EYBL circuit. He’s become a force for MOKAN Elite, the AAU team that helped showcase Michael Porter Jr., the nation’s top-ranked recruit, who’s bound for Mizzou in the coming weeks. Jontay, now the anchor for MOKAN’s streamlined summer roster, is putting his talents on display against the nation’s top 2018 and 2019 recruits.

“I think his stock continues to rise because people are seeing him play without Michael and as a lead player,” MOKAN Elite coach Chris Neff said. “He’s awfully special.”

Unexpected departures from Chaminade’s Jadis White and Webster Groves’ Carte’Are Gordon right before the first EYBL session in Hampton Beach, Va., left MOKAN with only eight players, but Porter has powered the team to a 9-3 record heading into this weekend’s session in Los Angeles. Ranked the No. 10 recruit in the 2018 class by Rivals.com, Porter has posted averages among the best in the circuit: 18.1 points, 12.7 rebounds, 2.9 blocks and 2.4 assists. He’s shooting 46 percent overall and, especially impressive, 40 percent from 3-point range.

Porter is often labeled a stretch four, a power forward with the shooting range to stretch defenders out to the perimeter. Neff isn’t so sure.

“He’s a stretch five,” Neff said. “What that allows us and his future (team) is he defends fives and he forces the five matchup. Defending him is quite a bit different. He steps out and plays on the perimeter, and he’s a very good passer. He has the ability to post up inside, too. I see him doing more of that. I know the power forward position is probably the future for him, but he can play the five.”

For now, it’s still uncertain if Porter will reclassify and join his older brother on Mizzou’s roster for the upcoming season or play his senior year at Father Tolton High School, where he and Michael won the 2016 Class 3 state championship. Neff is convinced he’s ready for the college level.

“I don’t think there’s anything he can’t do physically,” Neff said. “He’s spent most of his life preparing for these opportunities. He’s been up against some pretty physical kids over the years and he tends to do well. He’s really intelligent in finding his space and using his body. And being lefthanded has its advantages, too.”

KChiefs1 05-27-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12892027)
Have you heard of this kid? Jontay something...

Jontay Porter shines outside brother's shadow

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...ign=user-share

COLUMBIA, MO. • For the past few weeks Jontay Porter has emerged from the shadow of his older brother on basketball courts in Virginia, Indiana and Georgia. By being on his own, he’s perhaps proved he’s ready to join his brother on Missouri’s roster next season.

Jontay Porter, the 6-11 forward who committed to Mizzou last week, is no longer a sidekick on the Nike EYBL circuit. He’s become a force for MOKAN Elite, the AAU team that helped showcase Michael Porter Jr., the nation’s top-ranked recruit, who’s bound for Mizzou in the coming weeks. Jontay, now the anchor for MOKAN’s streamlined summer roster, is putting his talents on display against the nation’s top 2018 and 2019 recruits.

“I think his stock continues to rise because people are seeing him play without Michael and as a lead player,” MOKAN Elite coach Chris Neff said. “He’s awfully special.”

Unexpected departures from Chaminade’s Jadis White and Webster Groves’ Carte’Are Gordon right before the first EYBL session in Hampton Beach, Va., left MOKAN with only eight players, but Porter has powered the team to a 9-3 record heading into this weekend’s session in Los Angeles. Ranked the No. 10 recruit in the 2018 class by Rivals.com, Porter has posted averages among the best in the circuit: 18.1 points, 12.7 rebounds, 2.9 blocks and 2.4 assists. He’s shooting 46 percent overall and, especially impressive, 40 percent from 3-point range.

Porter is often labeled a stretch four, a power forward with the shooting range to stretch defenders out to the perimeter. Neff isn’t so sure.

“He’s a stretch five,” Neff said. “What that allows us and his future (team) is he defends fives and he forces the five matchup. Defending him is quite a bit different. He steps out and plays on the perimeter, and he’s a very good passer. He has the ability to post up inside, too. I see him doing more of that. I know the power forward position is probably the future for him, but he can play the five.”

For now, it’s still uncertain if Porter will reclassify and join his older brother on Mizzou’s roster for the upcoming season or play his senior year at Father Tolton High School, where he and Michael won the 2016 Class 3 state championship. Neff is convinced he’s ready for the college level.

“I don’t think there’s anything he can’t do physically,” Neff said. “He’s spent most of his life preparing for these opportunities. He’s been up against some pretty physical kids over the years and he tends to do well. He’s really intelligent in finding his space and using his body. And being lefthanded has its advantages, too.”

Didn't realize he was a southpaw.

KChiefs1 06-05-2017 09:47 PM

I'm ready!
https://twitter.com/mizzouhoops/stat...53696383606784

Pitt Gorilla 06-07-2017 09:29 AM

2020 prospect

https://missouri.rivals.com/news/bra...-with-missouri

Pitt Gorilla 06-08-2017 12:14 PM

Michael Porter Jr. a big part, but only one part, of Martin's Missouri rebuild

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...low_twitter_si

Cuonzo Martin won’t take all the credit for Michael Porter Jr.

He took a job at Missouri. He hired an out-of-work assistant coach, who happened to be the father of the No. 1 player in the class of 2017. He showcased his new program’s assets, its facilities, its people, its location in the very town where Porter grew up. And so the prized 18-year-old committed to the Tigers, injecting a shot of life into a basketball team that had been listless for more than three years.

What Martin should take credit for, though, is the Michael Porter Jr. Effect.

When the Tigers’ new coach left Cal for Missouri in March, it was to inherit a roster that had been riddled with transfers and went 8-23 the previous season. "I don't want to make it sound like we worked relentless hours,” he says of recruiting Porter, and he stresses that to him, taking a new job has little to do with the program’s record the year before.

Instead, Martin looked at the infrastructure, and he proceeded as if he were recruiting for Kentucky, not Missouri. In the weeks that followed, he retained guard C.J. Roberts, former Tigers coach Kim Anderson’s lone four-star commit in the class of 2017. On April 9, Missouri added Blake Harris, a four-star point guard who, like Porter, had been committed to Washington. On May 3, graduate transfer Kassius Robertson, a wing who averaged 16.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.4 assists at Canisius last year, announced he’d committed to Missouri. And on May 15, the Tigers landed Jeremiah Tilmon, yet another four-star recruit. The center from East St. Louis had been committed to Illinois before the school's coaching change, and he picked Missouri over its former Big 12 rival Kansas.

As it stands, the Tigers’ recruiting class is ranked seventh in the country by Scout.com, and that’s before the team learns whether the younger Porter brother, Jontay, will reclassify to play next season. (Because Jontay, who’s committed to Missouri, hasn’t signed a National Letter of Intent, Martin can’t speak about their relationship or his looming decision.)

Sure, the complete transformation of Missouri’s recruiting class—and by extension, its roster—came about in the wake of Porter joining the Tigers. Without him, Martin would have inherited a years-long rebuild. Instead, it took weeks. But without Martin, it’s impossible to say which, if any, recruits beyond the Porter brothers might have chosen the Tigers (or, in the case of Roberts, remained with them). Porter will likely play only a season for Missouri. Few, if any, members of the rest of the team’s recruiting class can say the same—meaning they’re committing not just to a year with their class’s best player, but likely to a few more without him.

That’s Martin’s doing, even if he won’t cop to any kind of unique sales pitch. He’s confident. He loves the facilities. There’s tradition at Missouri, even if you have to go back more than a decade to find it. And, perhaps most importantly, Martin is emphatic that he plans to work to keep players from Missouri and the St. Louis and Kansas City metro areas from getting away. The Porters were easy; their father is on his staff, and their aunt coaches Missouri’s women’s team, whose roster features their two sisters. Tilmon, though, was a much bigger swing. The Tigers have historically struggled to recruit in St. Louis and East St. Louis, which is Martin’s hometown, but in the past few years, they’ve nabbed Terry Beckner Jr., a top football player, and now Tilmon. Making an inroad so quickly in the eastern part of the state is one of Martin’s best early moves.

Missouri’s recruiting class, apart from Jontay, who’s finishing up on the AAU circuit, is largely complete. Kevin Puryear, Terrence Phillips and Jordan Barnett, the three top contributors from last year’s Tigers squad, will return, but at least four four- and five-star freshmen should see big minutes come fall. That’s how the team that won just three conference games a year ago now has 25-1 odds in Vegas to win the national title in 2018. Let’s put that in perspective: In the last 10 years, only eight teams that won fewer than 10 games in a season have gone on to so much as make the tournament the next year. (Only one, Minnesota, plays in a Power 5 conference.) Of those teams, not one advanced past the round of 64. Now, Missouri is projected to have better odds of winning it all than Florida, Villanova, Michigan, UCLA, Gonzaga…the list goes on.

Of course, there are 10 months and a million potential disasters between now and April. Martin now has to form a team out of the players Anderson left behind and his new recruits, a task with a level of inherent awkwardness. Hi, guys, I’m excited to coach you, but I’m also turning this thing upside-down. Martin doesn’t view it that way, though. “When I took the job, the most important thing was the guys on our current roster,” he says. “Those were the most important, and they're still very important. Now we all become one family. It's not a case of you have two teams, let's try to make these two teams fit as one.

"It's also our job for the returning players to welcome the new guys in. That's what you should do regardless of who's coming in. Great programs, they just pass down through time and over the years."

Pitt Gorilla 06-13-2017 06:15 PM

Arlo Becker (MPJ's grandfather) dead at 79, leaves tremendous racing legacy

“If you can’t win, be spectacular.”

Those were six words Arlo Becker lived by traveling across Eastern Iowa and beyond to dirt and asphalt racetracks. No matter if it was in his iconic No. 88 Modified, behind the wheel of heavy machinery working dirt for a race or standing along the fence watching cars go by, those words were all you really needed to know about him.

The legend — who amassed hundreds of wins and many track championships across six decades of racing — died Monday at age 79 after injuries sustained when a tractor he was operating up a steep grade overturned, pinning him to the ground.

His fellow racers, promoters, media members and family remembered him by that quote. Whatever Becker did, it was spectacular, and he stands as one of the seminal figures in Eastern Iowa racing history.

“People don’t understand the actual depth of my dad’s involvement in racing in Eastern Iowa or the upper Midwest,” said Mike Becker, Arlo’s son. “It wasn’t with a helmet on, but he went out working to the end.”

Becker’s work ethic and “roughneck” lifestyle — as described by longtime friend Bill Haglund — earned him a reputation as sometimes gruff, but a man with a big heart. He operated Beckers Auto Salvage in Atkins for many years, and his work mirrored his racing style: all out.

If you raced in Eastern Iowa or watched racing in Eastern Iowa any time between the 1960s and early 2010s, you knew who Arlo Becker was.

His impact on racing as a driver came with the many wins, sure, but it was the way he drove that both endeared him to so many and enraged so many. You either loved Becker or booed Becker. There was no real in between.

But even the guys who he had run-ins with on track had respect for him because, as Cedar Rapids’ veteran racer Johnny Spaw put it, “it didn’t matter who you were, he raced you the same.”

“If you want to talk about entertainment value, no one was more entertaining,” said Tim Plummer, who raced against Becker for several years in Modifieds at Hawkeye Downs. “He always gave the crowd their money’s worth, in one way or another.

“He was an instrumental person in the Modified deal and one of its first stars — and maybe its biggest star.”

Lofty words were thrown around Monday night when people spoke of Becker as they heard the news of his accident and death. Words like “legend,” and “icon,” were thrown around a lot, but so was another one: pioneer.

The IMCA Modified, which now has one of the highest rates of participation of any division in any motorsports sanctioning body across the country, was born in 1979. Along with Merv Chandler and a handful of others from Eastern Iowa, Becker was credited, as Plummer said, with being a central figure in building the class to what it is.

According to IMCA, Becker collected 51 career sanctioned IMCA Modified wins from 1979 through 2005 — including 18 more unsanctioned wins at Benton County Speedway, where the Modified was born — and was IMCA’s first Modified champion.

Longtime race promoter Keith Simmons said Becker would travel around the Midwest with his Modified to introduce the class to different markets and aid in its growth — something that can’t be quantified now, but certainly, Simmons said, was a tremendous help.

Becker also is the inspiration for much of the IMCA rulebook, as well.

Mike Becker joked Monday night, “IMCA didn’t like us,” because in the infancy of the Modified, Becker was an ambassador of the ideology that gaps in the rulebook were meant to be explored. Every person who was able to speak to The Gazette about Becker on Monday — Spaw, Plummer, Haglund, Mike Schulte, Simmons and IMCA President Brett Root — brought up unprompted that “probably half,” of the rules were because of Becker.

While that can often put a strain on sanctioning body and driver, Root — who said he raced against Becker at Benton County Speedway — remembered Becker fondly, even because of that history.

“He’s a fixture of this sport,” Root said. “Arlo was the say-whatever-he-wants, unedited; had one of those personalities that was very unfiltered, very opinionated, very good racer. Everybody has heard of Arlo. Everybody knows from way back to the days he was racing to when he was promoting.

“He was instrumental in ways where he forced IMCA to revisit rules. He was creative. That was his personality. He was as good a racer as there is.”

If there ever was a Mt. Rushmore for Eastern Iowa racing, it was unanimous Becker would have to be included.

He raced against the likes of Darrel Dake, Roger Dolan, Kenny Walton and all the way down to Schulte, Spaw, Plummer and even NASCAR driver Landon Cassill. Cassill was asked once who his favorite was to have raced against, as well as who taught him the most on the track. The Cedar Rapids native always had one answer: Arlo Becker.

“He wasn’t a high-profile guy way back when, but he raced with them and beat them,” Spaw said. “He could have done more and won more if he really would have went for it. But he was a hard worker and stuck with that.

“I’m glad I knew him.”

Into his late 70s, Becker remained active in the racing scene, still promoting his Race ‘Em and Wreck ‘Em demolition events around the area and attending races at Hawkeye Downs — including last Friday night.

He was a staple at tracks and events — including a reunion of veteran racers of the 1960s and 1970s in Lisbon this March — but in his latest days, his life and racing mantra of being “spectacular,” took on a bit of a different meaning.

It was his grandson whose turn it was to be spectacular. One of Becker’s daughters, Lisa Porter, is mother to the No. 1 basketball recruit in the nation, Michael Porter Jr., who is committed to play for Missouri next fall. At that reunion in Lisbon, Becker shared some old racing stories, sure. But he would grab anyone he could by the elbow and talk their ear off about Porter Jr. — as well as find videos on his phone.

Becker would have much rather told stories of Lisa or daughter Robin — now the head women’s basketball coach at Missouri — at Cedar Rapids Jefferson, or Michelle or Mike and their endeavors. His legacy was never of much concern to him.

It was spectacular, though.

“I raced against a lot of guys who were awful good, and each one had their special talents,” Schulte said. “But there was no one in his league as far as getting the most out of a car. He took what the car gave him and got a whole lot more out of it.

“He didn’t care if they cheered or booed, as long as he got something. He wanted to entertain. He did that.”

KChiefs1 06-13-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12905915)

Cuonzo getting to work early on those St Louis kids. Gotta love it.