ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

Beef Supreme 09-26-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 13107077)
Eh - that's the way things are going.

I currently have Cable internet + Hulu Live + Netflix and even if I added CBS All Access, my bill will be still significantly lower than Cable or DirecTV.

I have streaming services and cut the cord years ago. I'm not a caveman. I'm just saying the rest of the world is getting this show on netflix, but for the USA, they want us to buy some shit service that basically has one show on it. **** them.

Buehler445 09-26-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13107297)
I have streaming services and cut the cord years ago. I'm not a caveman. I'm just saying the rest of the world is getting this show on netflix, but for the USA, they want us to buy some shit service that basically has one show on it. **** them.

ROFL

Not just one! My wife informed me that Big Brother (some ridiculous brain melting reality show that is unwatchable by any standards) has a live segment that you can watch on the streaming site. Conversation went like this:

Wife: yeah they advertise Big Brother Live on that.

B445: what the **** is Big Brother live?

Wife: oh you get to watch these morons in the house.

B445: why the hell would anyone watch that?

Wife: no idea.

Saulbadguy 09-26-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13107297)

Ah, well. I understand that.

notorious 09-26-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13107337)
ROFL

Not just one! My wife informed me that Big Brother (some ridiculous brain melting reality show that is unwatchable by any standards) has a live segment that you can watch on the streaming site. Conversation went like this:

Wife: yeah they advertise Big Brother Live on that.

B445: what the **** is Big Brother live?

Wife: oh you get to watch these morons in the house.

B445: why the hell would anyone watch that?

Wife: no idea.

When I walk in the room while my wife is watching reality TV, especially the Tarashians, I walk directly out.

She gets mad, but I ask here what could possibly possess a smart woman to watch complete and utter shit (exact words), she can't answer.

**** those shows. It make people dumber and has no redeeming value to anyone.

DJ's left nut 09-26-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13107391)
When I walk in the room while my wife is watching reality TV, especially the Tarashians, I walk directly out.

She gets mad, but I ask here what could possibly possess a smart woman to watch complete and utter shit (exact words), she can't answer.

I had to literally leave the same floor as my wife was on if she watched the Gilmore Girls. The speech pattern absolutely killed me. And I could tell what it was in seconds - just that hyperactive, high pitch, clipped speech. And then if you started listening to the 'witty banter' it got even worse.

Just an awful, awful show. I could manage to suffer Gray's Anatomy for a couple of years (until she spent like 40 minutes underwater but didn't die and then had a ghost mom episode or something...I dunno, I was done). And I think This is Us is awful but it's background noise awful - I can tune it out and read or cook or something.

But Gilmore Girls....lord god almighty I couldn't be in the vicinity of it.

Buehler445 09-26-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13107391)

Mine just shuts it off.

She's not too bad though. She watches Big Brother which is by far the worst. It is truly horrible. Then she does Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars.

I really think she hates Bachelor/Bachelorette. One day I needed to talk to her about whatever. So I asked her WTF is going on. She then proceeds to go through like 10 guys that fill some "role" and when they would be eliminated. I looked at her with this look :spock: and her response was "I know. It's reeruned."

But I'm with DJLN I can't be around Big Brother.

RealSNR 09-27-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13107090)
After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that the pilot and possibly the series, are completely unnecessary and in terms of overall quality, shit.

I though that Green was awful. She rushed her lines and didn't portray any emotion. I understand that she was raised Vulcan but I found her performance to be cold. Michelle Yeoh's accent may throw some people off but I found her to be far more believable than Green.

And Klingons, again? They keep changing the back story and I found their language and subtitles to be comical. This is what ignites the war with the Klingons? Blech.

Also, the technology was so far advanced from the TOS and the series that followed that it made it simply ridiculous for me to believe. I think CBS and Paramount would have been better off setting this program in the 26th or 27th century or have it set right after First Contact.

I just can't buy into it.

I'm already bored and uninterested in the setting of this series in terms of the timeline. Grateful that it's in the prime universe, but it may as well be in the JJ Abrams universe with the technology anachronisms. At least they TRIED to talk about how limited the technology was in Enterprise. Here I can't tell if it's the 23rd century or the 24th century.

Prequels suck. They don't explore strange new worlds or seek out new life and new civilizations. They're basically there to make money. That's about it.

I think it DOES shed some light on why CBS was so pissed off about Axanar, though. Axanar was doing shit they wanted to do (the pre-Kirk Klingon War). Wouldn't surprise me if they completely lifted sections and plot ideas from that Prelude to Axanar video. If this happens it will remind me a bit of when the creator of Babylon 5 went to Paramount with the mapped out Babylon universe, they said no to his show idea, but then created DS9 instead which ripped off enormous segments of that Babylon script. Granted, DS9 is infinitely better than Babylon 5, but it's still kind of shady.

unlurking 09-28-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13109636)
...Granted, DS9 is infinitely better than Babylon 5, but it's still kind of shady.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/1G9N2/blasphemer/image.jpg

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2017 11:11 AM

Is this the second episode trailer?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/niHg1Y_GRpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious 09-29-2017 01:49 PM

That's the season trailer.

Valiant 09-30-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13109636)
I'm already bored and uninterested in the setting of this series in terms of the timeline. Grateful that it's in the prime universe, but it may as well be in the JJ Abrams universe with the technology anachronisms. At least they TRIED to talk about how limited the technology was in Enterprise. Here I can't tell if it's the 23rd century or the 24th century.

Prequels suck. They don't explore strange new worlds or seek out new life and new civilizations. They're basically there to make money. That's about it.

I think it DOES shed some light on why CBS was so pissed off about Axanar, though. Axanar was doing shit they wanted to do (the pre-Kirk Klingon War). Wouldn't surprise me if they completely lifted sections and plot ideas from that Prelude to Axanar video. If this happens it will remind me a bit of when the creator of Babylon 5 went to Paramount with the mapped out Babylon universe, they said no to his show idea, but then created DS9 instead which ripped off enormous segments of that Babylon script. Granted, DS9 is infinitely better than Babylon 5, but it's still kind of shady.

The **** it is. Season 2 thru 4 is the greatest sci-fi story arc ever.

Nickhead 10-01-2017 03:29 AM

prequels are okay as long as the new version does not surpass the old. like star wars rogue one. it didn't look 'newer', where as episodes 1,2, and 3 set the franchise back.

this show reeks of overkill. :D

unlurking 10-01-2017 07:17 PM

The Orville is more Trek than this piece of garbage. They have totally shit all over the klingons. Great special effects, but everything else about it sucks.

Frazod 10-03-2017 10:52 PM

Just finished the third episode. It's getting better.

Discuss Thrower 10-03-2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13124442)
Just finished the third episode. It's getting better.

I think so, too.

You had the science explorers vs military angle with Stamets bitching about his work being co-opted by Lorca and Starfleet as a whole, kind of a fish out of water comedic angle with Cadet Tilly bunking with Michael, the aforementioned rookie officer acting counter to typical tropes in confidently facing down the Klingon and the Starfleet higher ups doing shady shit (Lorca and Landry capturing the mutant carnivorous Tardigrade). On the shadiness note, I got distracted keeping up with the Las Vegas news Monday morning, so I couldn't discern whether or not just about everything involving Lorca's dealing with Michael were all deception or manipulation. Especially, for example, his light sensitivity.

Dunno where they are going with the "spore" storyline given the implications it would have on storytelling, but it was nice to see on screen Rekha Sharma again even though you know she'll probably be axed to give Michael a role to assume on the Discovery.

Edit: So I figured there'd be some handwringing about the tone of the third episode concerning the scenes on the U.S.S. Glenn, but it wasn't the first time there was a more family unfriendly episode. Context is for Kings reminded me a lot of DS9's Empok Nor episode. As I rewatch that episode now and look at the Memory Alpha article on it, I wasn't shocked to see Bryan Fuller got the story credit.

Rausch 10-04-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13107090)

I just can't buy into it.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

Apparently there's a boatload of political BS attached to the show (not by political minded viewers but the cast itself) but I'll wait until the season is over, binge, and give it a chance.

It will be entertaining or it won't and that's all that matters...

Frazod 10-04-2017 11:12 AM

I just wish they'd set this after the NG era. Everything is so completely out of step with canon that it's just ridiculous. I just try to ignore that, but it's hard. :shake:

I think the reason this last episode was better was because it only had the shitty new Klingons in it for about 10 seconds.

unlurking 10-04-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13125116)
I just wish they'd set this after the NG era. Everything is so completely out of step with canon that it's just ridiculous. I just try to ignore that, but it's hard. :shake:

I think the reason this last episode was better was because it only had the shitty new Klingons in it for about 10 seconds.

lol

Sad when you improve a Star Trek episode about the Klingon War by removing the Klingons. :(

Frazod 10-04-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13125632)
lol

Sad when you improve a Star Trek episode about the Klingon War by removing the Klingons. :(

I liken the Klingons in Discovery to Sofia Coppola in Godfather Part III. No matter who else is in the scene or what's going on, all you can think about is how absolutely awful they are.

unlurking 10-04-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13126169)
I liken the Klingons in Discovery to Sofia Coppola in Godfather Part III. No matter who else is in the scene or what's going on, all you can think about is how absolutely awful they are.

ROFL

It truly is jarring. Whoever said it earlier is right on about this being why they went after Axanar. I've seen the prelude twice now, and would take the full version over Discovery any day. Even with the super low FX budget.

notorious 10-05-2017 10:12 AM

I really don't know why it would be hard to create a new race to fight.

They really could have avoided using Klingons, but I am willing to see where they take it.

Discuss Thrower 10-08-2017 11:44 PM

Liked tonight's episode a lot and seemed pretty true to the idea of Star Trek in general.

Spoiler!

notorious 10-11-2017 11:10 AM

Decent show. Worth watching unless you require it to be like the old Star Trek.

Discuss Thrower 10-11-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13142291)

Sunday's episode was like 'old Trek' though.

notorious 10-11-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13142309)
Sunday's episode was like 'old Trek' though.

I haven't watched the latest yet, I finished the episode about spores.

Discuss Thrower 10-11-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13142319)
I haven't watched the latest yet, I finished the episode about spores.

IMO, it was the best one yet.

Hopefully you didn't see my spoiler.

RINGLEADER 10-11-2017 07:35 PM

Just saw last week's episode. All though it I was left wondering why they set this before TOS. They should have set it after Trek and, so far, there really hasn't been much that couldn't have been easily changed to make it post TNG.

Only complaint is that there are really only four characters they've bothered to give any personality. Most of the crew are set dressing.

Frazod 10-11-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 13143472)
Just saw last week's episode. All though it I was left wondering why they set this before TOS. They should have set it after Trek and, so far, there really hasn't been much that couldn't have been easily changed to make it post TNG.

Only complaint is that there are really only four characters they've bothered to give any personality. Most of the crew are set dressing.

Yeah, they should have set it after Picard, not before Kirk. The technology they're playing with is way beyond anything that should be available during that time period.

I had a long discussion about this with a friend at work yesterday. I've basically concluded that I'm an addict, Star Trek is my drug, and even though I'm being provided with shitty drugs, I'm still hooked. I should quit watching this canon-****ing mess, but I won't. Instead I'll just continue to bitch about it, which makes me an idiot. :banghead:

Mennonite 10-11-2017 07:52 PM

I'm a long time trek fan, but I just can't get excited about this show. It took me a few years to go back and watch ENT and VOY and it may be the same story with Discovery.

Right now, I'm slowly making my way through the DS9 Relaunch novels. Some of them are pretty decent.

notorious 10-11-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13142323)
IMO, it was the best one yet.

Hopefully you didn't see my spoiler.

It's all good. I just finished the latest. Not to shabby.

Discuss Thrower 10-12-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13143645)
It's all good. I just finished the latest. Not to shabby.

Spoiler!

notorious 10-12-2017 05:51 PM

Spoiler!

Discuss Thrower 10-13-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13145355)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

RINGLEADER 10-13-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13145318)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Discuss Thrower 10-13-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 13146945)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Bowser 10-13-2017 07:01 PM

I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks and I'm debating whether it's worth the time to watch the series while I'm off. What say you - yea or nay?

Frazod 10-13-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13147417)
I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks and I'm debating whether it's worth the time to watch the series while I'm off. What say you - yea or nay?

Yeah, why not? Pay the full $10 so you can at least watch it without commercials.

aturnis 10-13-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13142291)

This

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RealSNR 10-13-2017 10:24 PM

Trek movies I-VI found some way to explain/kill off the technology advances, didn't they? Project Genesis was basically explained as, "It was a cool idea, but it didn't work and everything went to shit." Transwarp drive on the Excelsior went away because... Paris and Janeway turned into salamanders? I thought there was something explained in Undiscovered Country about why the transwarp drive wasn't possible.

In any case, Discovery has to do something about all the technology that ADVANCES plot. I don't give a shit about the futuristic-looking gizmos and gadgets that are out of place. As far as I'm concerned that's all presentation stuff which is superfluous to better story telling.

The REAL problem is this spore shit. It has no place in this timeline. They're going to have to find some way to kill off this technology. I think they will. I HOPE they will.

I'm absolutely with Frazod on this. God... this could be so interesting. It's decent, but it could be so much better if it weren't a goddamn prequel.

Discuss Thrower 10-17-2017 05:43 PM

One advantage to airing the show on All Access..
We get characters dropping F-bombs like normal people

bowener 10-18-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13147646)
Trek movies I-VI found some way to explain/kill off the technology advances, didn't they? Project Genesis was basically explained as, "It was a cool idea, but it didn't work and everything went to shit." Transwarp drive on the Excelsior went away because... Paris and Janeway turned into salamanders? I thought there was something explained in Undiscovered Country about why the transwarp drive wasn't possible.

In any case, Discovery has to do something about all the technology that ADVANCES plot. I don't give a shit about the futuristic-looking gizmos and gadgets that are out of place. As far as I'm concerned that's all presentation stuff which is superfluous to better story telling.

The REAL problem is this spore shit. It has no place in this timeline. They're going to have to find some way to kill off this technology. I think they will. I HOPE they will.

I'm absolutely with Frazod on this. God... this could be so interesting. It's decent, but it could be so much better if it weren't a goddamn prequel.

Spoiler!

Edit:
Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 10-20-2017 09:21 AM

I can't wait to watch this show. LMAO

https://i.imgur.com/29RX7Vw.jpg

Discuss Thrower 10-23-2017 10:16 AM

Spoiler!

Frazod 10-23-2017 11:17 AM

Lorca is far and away the best character in the show. Sort of like if somebody took Commodore Decker, Gowron and Gul Dukat and threw them in a blender. Cold blooded, crazy and broken, yet gets results and sees the big picture of the war far more clearly than the typical warm and fuzzy Star Fleet types. Plus, his character's ****-what-everybody-else-thinks attitude makes the whole Burnham redemption angle work.

If you haven't seen last night's episode yet
Spoiler!

Love it.

DaneMcCloud 10-23-2017 12:05 PM

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/23/star-tre...-for-season-2/

Star Trek: Discovery renewed for season 2

The voyages of the USS Discovery will continue on CBS All Access.

The streaming service has renewed Star Trek: Discovery for a second season. Sources say current showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg are signing on for another tour of duty as well.

“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise,” said Marc DeBevoise, president of CBS Interactive. “This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy.”

It’s still unclear how many subscribers Trek has fueled and how many viewers are actually watching the series — CBS hasn’t released either number — yet a renewal seemed likely at any rate due to the show’s heavily promoted tentpole status on the subscription service plus CBS’ heavy start-up world-building investment in the series (additional episodes add to the show’s total cost but decrease the average spent per episode overall). A relatively early renewal was expected as well since the show’s creative team would have to start work on a second season soon in order to have episodes ready for next fall (season 1 started filming last January).

Discovery airs Sunday nights on CBS All Access. The show’s fall finale airs Nov. 12

Rausch 10-23-2017 12:46 PM

The Orville still has SJW bullshit and is still better...

unlurking 10-23-2017 07:12 PM

Latest episode with a full on holodeck continues to destroy the technology timeline. :(

Discuss Thrower 10-23-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13172979)
Latest episode with a full on holodeck continues to destroy the technology timeline. :(

The Animated Series had an episode with the original 1701 Enterprise having a recreation deck outfitted with holographic projectors.

As long as you don't see Lorca use a holo-Thomspon to gun down Klingons, it's not techincally breaking the canon.

Frazod 10-23-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13173317)
The Animated Series had an episode with the original 1701 Enterprise having a recreation deck outfitted with holographic projectors.

As long as you don't see Lorca use a holo-Thomspon to gun down Klingons, it's not techincally breaking the canon.

Definitely sounds like a Lorca thing to do, though. :bang:

BigRedChief 11-03-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11864542)
There's far more money with OTA networks than the subscription model.

When shows like The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men draw 20 million viewers per week, the network is earning hundreds of millions per season and even more when it goes to syndication (if it's produced by the network). They'd lose that money moving to a $5.99 per month subscription model.

For example, HBO complains about the $60 million dollar budget for 13 episodes of Game of Thrones, yet NBC had no problem paying the six "Friends" one million per episode for a 24 episode season, or $144 million per season, just for the actors. They did it for ER, too.

Streaming just can't compete with that at this time.

if you are not paying for the product, you're the product.

Discuss Thrower 11-12-2017 11:26 PM

Spoiler!

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2017 08:45 PM

Fans of “Star Trek” vary wildly with some preferring the original series, some the spin-offs, and some the more recent J.J. Abrams films.

With the launch of CBS & Netflix’s “Star Trek: Discovery” a few months ago, the fanbase again has found itself divided. ‘Discovery’ has earned a fanbase, whilst others prefer FOX’s “The Orville” which is effectively “Star Trek: The Next Generation” with occasional genital-related jokes and a family-friendly setting.

‘Discovery’ has been mostly well-received, but if there is one common complaint about it from the fans it’s that the series doesn’t appear to fit into existing “Star Trek” continuity – the inconsistencies within long established canon are too many and too varied to be easily explained. The show’s producers have previously made it clear the show is set in the ‘Prime Universe’ like all of Trek prior to 2009, and not the ‘Kelvin Timeline’ of the films since the Abrams-directed reboot. Yet ‘Discovery’ veers even further away from established Trek lore in those films not just in terms of onscreen technology but character elements and Starfleet’s capabilities. This is most notably seen with Burnham being Spock’s half-sister and the Discovery’s spore drive, neither of which have previously been mentioned in established Trek history. Producer Aaron Harberts has now revealed to Metro UK that a big element of the show’s second season will be how the new series reconciles with the old canon:

“We have ten years until the original series comes into play. It is a challenge creatively because we have lots of choices in terms of how do we reconcile this [Spore] Drive? This surrogate daughter of Sarek? How do we reconcile these things the closer we get to the original series? That’s going to be a big discussion that we have in season two.

What’s so fun about the character of Michael, just because she hasn’t been spoken about, doesn’t mean she didn’t exist. A lot of the writers on our show are deeply involved in Star Trek, their knowledge is some of the finest around, they really do help us find areas where we can steer around things. But the Spore drive? Who knows? It could be classified. There are many options.”

The final episodes of the first half of the first season suggested the Spore Drive could be used for jumps to alternate realities, an explanation that could work in canon if this was simply another alternate Trek timeline. The second half of the first season will continue from January 7th.

----

I haven't watch this series yet but why does it continually sound like a cluster****?

unlurking 11-21-2017 08:52 PM

Because it is.

Yay! Alternate reality resolves all issues. Lame. :(

Sadly, it has a ton of potential with the amount of $$$ they are spending on FX and an actually interesting story. It's just badly done and what they've done to the Klingons is an abomination.

Frazod 11-21-2017 10:09 PM

Imagine it's about a guy who drives a car in the 1960s, yet the car looks like it's from 2020.

These clowns were so intent on making everything look cool, sleek, modern and different that they clearly flipped the bird to everybody who'd ever watched Star Trek in the past. That's it in the nutshell.

If you're new to Star Trek, or have only experienced the Abrams movies, you won't care. If you're an old school Star Trek guy like me, it will piss you off. You'll either accept it based on the other things the show provides, which I for the most part have, or you won't.

But I still don't like it.

I still prefer the fan made Star Trek Continues to this. Vastly.

Frazod 11-21-2017 10:19 PM

It should also be pointed out that J.J. did the same thing with his movies. They didn't look right for the period, the technology was way too different/advanced, and the gigantic spaces (filmed in breweries, IIRC) were absolutely ridiculous. You can't play all that off on the timeline change. It was also a giant **** YOU to the old time fans.

I hated that too, but over the past eight years I got used to it. Still sucks, though.

unlurking 11-21-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13173317)

Tried watching the animated series as a kid, not a fan.

I do remember them introducing the holodeck in TNG though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oZwtVz7z0wM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other than the animated series, the holodeck in Discovery predates holodeck usage on Starfleet ships by 100 years.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Holodeck

Frazod 11-21-2017 11:06 PM

As I've said before, Lorca has saved this series for me. Far and away the most interesting character. Kind of reminds me of Admiral Kane from Battlestar Galactica.

Rausch 11-21-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13232241)
Imagine it's about a guy who drives a car in the 1960s, yet the car looks like it's from 2020.

These clowns were so intent on making everything look cool, sleek, modern and different that they clearly flipped the bird to everybody who'd ever watched Star Trek in the past. That's it in the nutshell.

If you're new to Star Trek, or have only experienced the Abrams movies, you won't care. If you're an old school Star Trek guy like me, it will piss you off. You'll either accept it based on the other things the show provides, which I for the most part have, or you won't.

But I still don't like it.

I still prefer the fan made Star Trek Continues to this. Vastly.

I see what you're saying but I also see it from the POV of a comics fan that watched Marvel go down the tubes due to politics.

I can see how it's being forced in here.

While I was always a fan of dystopian books and films I loved ST for the fact it wasn't. It was the possible best of our nature. It was us not nuking ourselves or depending on war to fund economies.

JMO but it seems like it's taking a step back, and not forward...

RealSNR 11-21-2017 11:42 PM

Of the current sci-fi shows that are still making episodes, here's how they rank for me:

1. The Expanse

(pretty significant gap)

2. Westworld
3. Discovery

4. Killjoys

5. The Orville

And after that is all the other stuff I don't watch or haven't gotten around to watching. If I choose to do so.

It's great that there are plenty of sci-fi options out there. I don't really think there's a way that a sci-fi fan can be disappointed in the options for current TV shows in the genre these days. Remember that drought from when Battlestar Galactica ended up until around 2015? It was the worst I've ever seen.

In the year 2017, sci-fi is on the rise. As low as the ratings are every time it comes on, SyFy is deeply invested in The Expanse and won't let it die (good news for fans). Killjoys has been renewed for two more seasons, at which point they'll write the show to its conclusion and not just drop it as an uncompleted project. The Orville has been renewed. Westworld has been delayed, but that was widely successful and will probably last for a long time. No clue how CBS measures ratings or success for their streaming platform, but I imagine Discovery will go for awhile, too. And if any of these REALLY gain traction the way Westworld has, we're gonna see even more options come out on different networks. Some good, some bad. But the point is... OPTIONS.

Star Trek isn't what I wanted it to be. I watch an episode of Discovery, and I go, "ehhh. Compelling in spots, but **** these new Klingons." But I'm no longer dependent on Star Trek alone. I've got all this other stuff that's way better and can be thought of as successes unto themselves.

unlurking 11-22-2017 09:14 AM

I'd add Dark Matter to that list as well. Low budget, but unique story I thought. Also have to include Dr. Who. Seasons tend to vary in terms of quality, but still watch regularly.

Also very disappointed that Oasis wasn't (yet?) picked up by Amazon. Loved the pilot.

unlurking 11-22-2017 09:24 AM

Oh, and can't forget some upcoming shows ( Snow Crash, Ringworld, Lazarus ).

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amaz...ld-1202576048/

I am totally psyched for these. SciFi TV shows are definitely much better and in greater number than the post Farscape/BSG years where we saw shows like Firefly get cut.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 11-22-2017 09:26 AM

I am an old Star Trek guy (remember watching them in B&W on Thursday nights). In fact, one of the kids that wrote a letter back then to not cancel the series.

I can overlook the inconsistencies - I am enjoying it.

BigRedChief 11-23-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13232301)
I see what you're saying but I also see it from the POV of a comics fan that watched Marvel go down the tubes due to politics.

Huh? Whats political in Marvel so much that its in the shitter?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottawa_chiefs_fan (Post 13232596)
I am an old Star Trek guy (remember watching them in B&W on Thursday nights). In fact, one of the kids that wrote a letter back then to not cancel the series.

I can overlook the inconsistencies - I am enjoying it.

Old school fan here too. What they have done to the Klingons is an abomination to all of us.

I had no idea this is set in a time frame before the original Star Trek. WTF? How are they going to explain all the differences? It seemed to me it was 100's of years in the future. They have totally screwed this up and now need to use some cheap alternative reality jump to fix their mistakes.

How can you screw up a Star Trek this bad?

mnchiefsguy 12-22-2017 11:04 PM

Gonna put this here. Star Trek continues just put up for free download blu-ray and DVD disc images for their entire series, along with cover art. You can make your own DVD/Blu-Ray sets!

Download the good stuff here;

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/downloads.html

RealSNR 01-07-2018 10:20 PM

This show sucks.

I might be alone on this, but I never really cared for the mirror universe episodes.

If I enjoyed what Star Trek did with them (a few of the DS9s were pretty good) it was nice to just have a small helping of mirror universe stuff.

An entire half season of this garbage is dumb.

I can also handle changes. I can handle lots of changes.

The tone of this show is just... it's dumb. I ****ing hate it.

RINGLEADER 01-08-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13344717)
This show sucks.

I might be alone on this, but I never really cared for the mirror universe episodes.

If I enjoyed what Star Trek did with them (a few of the DS9s were pretty good) it was nice to just have a small helping of mirror universe stuff.

An entire half season of this garbage is dumb.

I can also handle changes. I can handle lots of changes.

The tone of this show is just... it's dumb. I ****ing hate it.

It’s poorly written, structured, and acted.

The look is off - the mythos is off.

I can’t think of many TNG episodes that aren’t better. Sub Rosa maybe.

Discuss Thrower 01-11-2018 01:26 AM

Regardless of how you feel about the current series, if you're a fan of Star Trek in its earliest incarnation- you're doing yourself a disservice if you have Netflix and haven't watched Episode 4.1 of Black Mirror called "USS Callister".

Bowser 01-11-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13353217)
Regardless of how you feel about the current series, if you're a fan of Star Trek in its earliest incarnation- you're doing yourself a disservice if you have Netflix and haven't watched Episode 4.1 of Black Mirror called "USS Callister".

That was a great episode. Enjoyed that very much.

Rausch 01-11-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13353217)

Truff.

Excellent episode that deals heavily in ST lore but both is and isn't about that.

Hard to explain but a must watch for Trekkies...

BigRedChief 01-11-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13353598)
Truff.

Excellent episode that deals heavily in ST lore but both is and isn't about that.

Hard to explain but a must watch for Trekkies...

never watched this show before. Checked it out.

Got to agree with the others. Season 4.1 is a must see for all Star Trek fans. Twighlight zone Trekkie episode. Good TV.

On the other hand this new Star Trek still sucks. Good guys become bad guys, bad guys become good guys? First season? Lame ass shit. They need to jump to a Parrell universe and take this shit show somewhere else.

The fans have been screaming for the Federation v Klingons and we get this crap? Everyone associated with this travesty needs to be fired.

Mennonite 01-11-2018 08:53 PM

Black Mirror:

Kind of cool to see who provided the gamer's voice at the end of the episode considering who played the lead character.

Nice nod to Charlie X, too.

Frazod 01-18-2018 09:50 PM

I hate to say it, but goddamn, I love this show. Yeah, I feel dirty saying that, but it's true. I've gotten over the goofy Klingons and the shitting all over the canon bit. It's dark and twisted and bleak and nasty and I'm digging it.

They basically did the same thing to Star Trek that the reboot of Battlestar Galactica did - took an old show, blasted it down to outline form, and filled in the details using new and shiny stuff. I know that the stuff they're doing will never fit in with established canon, and I'm sure they do to. Yes, the ships and everything in them should look like the Enterprise from the original pilot with Jeffrey Hunter. But that look is 50 years old, and would bore the crap out of modern audiences. It's either this way or no way, and I'm on board with it.

I think their biggest mistake was not simply calling it a reboot, when it clearly is.

Discuss Thrower 01-19-2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13369345)
I hate to say it, but goddamn, I love this show. Yeah, I feel dirty saying that, but it's true. I've gotten over the goofy Klingons and the shitting all over the canon bit. It's dark and twisted and bleak and nasty and I'm digging it.

They basically did the same thing to Star Trek that the reboot of Battlestar Galactica did - took an old show, blasted it down to outline form, and filled in the details using new and shiny stuff. I know that the stuff they're doing will never fit in with established canon, and I'm sure they do to. Yes, the ships and everything in them should look like the Enterprise from the original pilot with Jeffrey Hunter. But that look is 50 years old, and would bore the crap out of modern audiences. It's either this way or no way, and I'm on board with it.

I think their biggest mistake was not simply calling it a reboot, when it clearly is.

I was gonna wait to post my thoughts once the next episode aired, but I guess the tl;dr version is:

Spoiler!

What I said in the tag would be a decent in-narrative explanation for the differences between the Klingons of ENT/TOS to VOY and DISC as well as the aesthetic differences among the TV shows.

Rausch 01-20-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

I hate to say it, but goddamn, I love this show. Yeah, I feel dirty saying that, but it's true. .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F-mju_gW3c8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mephistopheles Janx 01-20-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

I had a sneaking suspicion that Voyager was gonna be garbage but I watched it anyway because it was Trek. It was garbage.

I had a suspicion that Enterprise was gonna be garbage but I watched it anyway because it was Trek. It was, mostly, garbage.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this version of Star Trek starring Lucious Malfoy and Spock's black sister was gonna be garbage. Sticking to my guns this time. Not watching this at all.

Discuss Thrower 01-20-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 13371817)
I had a sneaking suspicion that Voyager was gonna be garbage but I watched it anyway because it was Trek. It was garbage.

I had a suspicion that Enterprise was gonna be garbage but I watched it anyway because it was Trek. It was, mostly, garbage.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this version of Star Trek starring Lucious Malfoy and Spock's black sister was gonna be garbage. Sticking to my guns this time. Not watching this at all.

Discovery has had its issues early on, but it's not the same type of issues that VOY and ENT had.

The pilot was a misstep but the show has gradually improved episode to episode.

Mennonite 01-21-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 13371817)

I'm not going to argue with you about the overall quality of either of these shows - they were seriously flawed - but they both produced some good episodes. Between the two shows I found about 100 episodes that I thought were worthwhile. That's the great thing about episodic tv - if an episode sucks you can safely ignore it. Usually.

I'll get around to watching this new show eventually, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Right now I'm reading a bunch of the DS9 Relaunch novels. They're pretty good.

Discuss Thrower 01-21-2018 10:56 PM

Spoiler!

Fish 01-22-2018 08:39 AM

I still have to chuckle at the giant tardigrade torture propulsion system though...

Jamie 01-22-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13375830)
Spoiler!

It wasn't exactly out of left field, but I was surprised they really did it. It felt like a "this is what they should have done" idea to me.

The light sensitivity thing is a real ass-pull though.