ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs LNBS: Can Alex Smith be "Fixed"? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290006)

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2015 08:11 AM

The Reidcuses flow with great flowing.

Simply Red 01-18-2015 08:53 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/taDd19Bf2fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigCatDaddy 01-18-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11275445)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/taDd19Bf2fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not nice.

King_Chief_Fan 01-18-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273271)
Part of me wants to think so.

We saw flashes in 2013 of him testing defenses downfield and being a lot more than a game manager.

Then his OL got severely downgraded through 3 big losses in free agency (all 3 got overpaid) and his 2 guards weren't even nfl quality, let alone starter quality.

His receivers needed a major upgrade last offseason (they were an obvious team weakness) and other than adding Jason Avant late in the year and developing a promising rookie in Albert Wilson...not a whole lot was done to help provide Alex Smith with adequate weapons. Losing Avery to injury further weakened an already subpar unit.

Here's my question:

If they improve the OL and receivers...will we see Alex Smith come out of his shell again (like we saw flashes of in the second half of 2013)?

If he does, how far can this team go if the defense plays like it has and Dee Ford steps into Hali's shoes adequately?

We shall see. This is his last chance...or should be.

Discuss Thrower 01-18-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 11275510)
We shall see. This is his last chance...or should be.

Smith is the starter for the next three seasons.

BossChief 01-18-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11275521)

Only if he earns it.

NWTF 01-18-2015 10:04 AM

There is really nothing to "fix" with Alex Smith at this juncture in his career.

But to answer the question. Assemble an overall top 5 defense, particularly great at points allowed. Build a much better Oline at pass protection and run blocking then what they have now. Acquire or develop an old school, security blanket, pass catching TE (ie Gonzalez,Whitten), and greatly improve at the WR position. Andy Reid can also help by sticking with a run first scheme, passing off play action. Alex is a play action QB and could advance a team deep into the playoffs with the above improvements.

Chief Roundup 01-18-2015 10:09 AM

Surprised by the numbers of Matt Ryan. Roddy White, Julio Jones, etc.

Chief Roundup 01-18-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11275528)
Only if he earns it.

He doesn't have to earn it. He just can't **** it up. As long as he is not making mistakes and costing this team he will be allowed to continue as the starter.

ViperVisor 01-18-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 11275547)
Surprised by the numbers of Matt Ryan. Roddy White, Julio Jones, etc.

He isn't great. During this graph time-frame he was leaning hard on Tony G. to bail him out on 3rd downs and the redzone specifically.

Discuss Thrower 01-18-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Only if he earns it.

What Roundup said.

You don't bench a guy you're paying $20m a year that you acquired for two second rounders.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2015 11:30 AM

The anti-QB contingent is going to get exactly the franchise they deserve.

O.city 01-18-2015 11:34 AM

So those charts aren't even recent? Jesus

NJChiefsFan 01-18-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11275565)
What Roundup said.

You don't bench a guy you're paying $20m a year that you acquired for two second rounders.

And there is my major problem. I'm not really killing Reid/Dorsey for not having a replacement for Alex because besides the potential in Bridgewater, they haven't passed on much. The Foles rumor makes me feel better as well. But it's time to try something so that we can put somebody behind Alex to at least push him. It's time they take a bigger swing than Murray.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 11275662)
And there is my major problem. I'm not really killing Reid/Dorsey for not having a replacement for Alex because besides the potential in Bridgewater, they haven't passed on much. The Foles rumor makes me feel better as well. But it's time to try something so that we can put somebody behind Alex to at least push him. It's time they take a bigger swing than Murray.

Yeah, they might step up to the THIRD ROUND! w00t!

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11275645)
The anti-QB contingent is going to get exactly the franchise they deserve.

See, the problem here is that you think that there is an "anti-QB contingent."

There really isn't.

Discuss Thrower 01-18-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11275686)
See, the problem here is that you think that there is an "anti-QB contingent."

There really isn't.

Uh huh.

This thread is proof enough. You need a QB that elevates the play of those around him to contend for titles. Instead people are looking to rookies and possible FA targets to elevate the QB's play.

It's the same things that were said about Cassel... And Huard...

ThaVirus 01-18-2015 12:27 PM

LNBS: Can Alex Smith be "Fixed"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11275655)
So those charts aren't even recent? Jesus

They were probably from that 8 game stretch he had in 2012, if I had to guess. The guy is a 9er transplant douche so that'd be a safe bet.

I think Alex was 3 for 19 on passes traveling over 20 yards in the air this year, which is horrendous.

Just like the Avery gif they pull out so often, that graph is just what they cling to when they say he can be accurate when passing downfield.

Yes. He can be. He hasn't been 8 years out of his 10 year career but he did it once so there's that!

OnTheWarpath15 01-18-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Only if he earns it.

He didn't earn the two years he's already received.

He's not going anywhere, sadly.

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11275690)
Uh huh.

This thread is proof enough. You need a QB that elevates the play of those around him to contend for titles. Instead people are looking to rookies and possible FA targets to elevate the QB's play.

I'd argue that Smith has elevated the play of those around him. Quite easily.

This team, with basically the same starters, went 2-14 in 2013 and set NFL and franchise records for ineptitude. They were, without question, the worst team in football. And it wasn't close.

Yet, that team was comprised of super studs like Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Brandon Albert, Dontari Poe, et al.

Within one season, you go from that horrific 2-14 to 11-5 and the playoffs. Sure, the schedule was a piece of cake, but that's a hell of a turn around in a single season. I believe it actually tied the NFL record for best turnaround in a single season. And what was the singular difference between that season and the previous one? I'll give you a hint:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/A...9MxGyscoOl.jpg

(And in that playoff game, that new QB sets franchise records for QB playoff performance.)

Then, the next season, when faced with the NFL's toughest schedule, they go 9-7 and on the verge of the playoffs even though they lost four main players to IR.

Tell me that's not elevating the players around you.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11275731)

This team, with basically the same starters, went 2-14 in 2013 and set NFL and franchise records for ineptitude. They were, without question, the worst team in football. And it wasn't close.

Yet, that team was comprised of super studs like Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Brandon Albert, Dontari Poe, et al.

Within one season, you go from that horrific 2-14 to 11-5 and the playoffs. Sure, the schedule was a piece of cake, but that's a hell of a turn around in a single season. I believe it actually tied the NFL record for best turnaround in a single season. And what was the singular difference between that season and the previous one? I'll give you a hint:

(And in that playoff game, that new QB sets franchise records for QB playoff performance.)

Then, the next season, when faced with the NFL's toughest schedule, they go 9-7 and on the verge of the playoffs even though they lost four main players to IR.

Nope. That was "new car smell" for an already talented roster. Smith only mildly peed in the back seat.

Discuss Thrower 01-18-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11275731)

Matt Cassel / Tyler Palko / Kyle Orton went 7-9 with Thomas Jones and Jackie Battle at HB, Jake O'Connell at tight end, Bowe and Baldwin at WR with a defense that started Jon McGraw and Sabby Piscatelli at safety.

OnTheWarpath15 01-18-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11275756)
Nope. That was "new car smell" for an already talented roster. Smith only mildly peed in the back seat.

The defense went from complete ass to playing at a historic level for 9 of the 11 wins in 2013, but it was Captain Mormon's doing.

Comical.

RealSNR 01-18-2015 12:55 PM

Is Smith actually Mormon?

Asking for a friend.

Simply Red 01-18-2015 01:04 PM

do you think Smith ever literally pee'd in his lady friend's butt? srs question.

Simply Red 01-18-2015 01:05 PM

answer honest here.

Mother****erJones 01-18-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11274346)
How many playoff wins in two years?

We haven't won a playoff game since '93.

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11275756)

Bullshit and you know it.

How long has Charles been on the roster and has been considered one of the best RB's in the league?

How long has Dwayne Bowe been on the roster? Everyone around here thinks he's the greatest WR in NFL history and it's Smith that's ruined him. What's Bowe's Win-Loss record before Smith? Etc, etc., etc.

But yet, when Smith gets here, we have the first back to back winning seasons for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Weird.

BossChief 01-18-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11275565)
What Roundup said.

Vick got benched a little over a year after signing a 100 million dollar deal.

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11275789)
Is Smith actually Mormon?

Asking for a friend.

Not that I'm aware of.

Discuss Thrower 01-18-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11275809)
Vick got benched a little over a year after signing a 100 million dollar deal.

Smith isn't bad enough to warrant that treatment.

O.city 01-18-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11275690)
Uh huh.

This is said alot around here, but how many qbs actually do that or are asked to do that 3 very game for said team to be successful?

Rodgers is. Luck is.

Other than that, who does it as much as cp seems to demand a qb have too?

This isn't about Smith elevating those around him. It's about him playing as well as the talent around him is playing. He didn't do that enough this year.

But put a team on their back and carry it to a superbowl? There are maybe 5 guys in the league that can do that. Maybe 5.

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11275841)
This is said alot around here, but how many qbs actually do that or are asked to do that 3 very game for said team to be successful?

Rodgers is. Luck is.

Other than that, who does it as much as cp seems to demand a qb have too?

This isn't about Smith elevating those around him. It's about him playing as well as the talent around him is playing. He didn't do that enough this year.

But put a team on their back and carry it to a superbowl? There are maybe 5 guys in the league that can do that. Maybe 5.

I think you are being generous.

O.city 01-18-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11275862)
I think you are being generous.

I think there are guys who can do it, but don't or aren't asked to as much as luck and rodgers.

RunKC 01-18-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 11275404)
He traded 2 2nd round picks for Smith. If he wasn't his guy then he is monumentally more stupid than I give home credit for.

You guys are killing your reidcuses defense with these rebuttals.

Name a better QB available in 2013.

scho63 01-18-2015 02:09 PM

I think neutering Alex Smith is cruel! :D

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11275868)
I think there are guys who can do it, but don't or aren't asked to as much as luck and rodgers.

How many Super Bowls has Aaron Rogers been in?

Other than that amazing 2011 run, Rogers hasn't been a world beater in the playoffs.

How many has Luck?

Like I said, I think you are being generous.

Brady. Roelisberger. Warner. Aikman. Elway. Kelly. Montana. Bradshaw. Tarkenton. Greise. Manning.

Those are the dudes, as it stands, that have done that.

But **** Smith because he's not that guy. We should have that guy. Every draft. Every free agency period.

BigCatDaddy 01-18-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11275915)
Name a better QB available in 2013.

Why did there have to be? Thats like buying the nicest piece of shit on a car lot rather than taking time to go to a different lot.

Its not like he was signed as a FA on a one year deal.

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11276000)
Why did there have to be? Thats like buying the nicest piece of shit on a car lot rather than taking time to go to a different one.

Piece of shit, huh?

Like the 2013 season?

With Smith, we've had the first back to back winning seasons since '97 (after enduring one of the worst seasons of any team in NFL history), and you think that hasn't been worth two lousy second round picks?

You are wearing stupid like a cheap suit.

RunKC 01-18-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11276000)
Why did there have to be? Thats like buying the nicest piece of shit on a car lot rather than taking time to go to a different lot.

Its not like he was signed as a FA on a one year deal.

Shoulda drafted Geno Smiff like you wanted. Would have really taken us far just like NYJ.

Rausch 01-18-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 11275928)
I think neutering Alex Smith is cruel! :D

Tell that to Dorsey...

BigCatDaddy 01-18-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11276008)
Piece of shit, huh?

Like the 2013 sesason?

With Smith, we've had the first back to back winning seasons since '97 (after enduring one of the worst seasons of any team in NFL history), and you think that hasn't been worth two lousy second round picks?

LMAO. Yeah its all Alex Smith. Dude sucks and if you think otherwise you likely have on a pair of Ute panties.

BigCatDaddy 01-18-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11276017)
Shoulda drafted Geno Smiff like you wanted. Would have really taken us far just like NYJ.

Wll we wouldnt have be tied into a steaming pile of shit for 5 years of my life so yeah Geno would have been a better move given the flexibilty he gives you to add better pieces or move on to the. next guy

Rausch 01-18-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11275808)
Bullshit and you know it.

How long has Charles been on the roster and has been considered one of the best RB's in the league?

How long has Dwayne Bowe been on the roster? Everyone around here thinks he's the greatest WR in NFL history and it's Smith that's ruined him. What's Bowe's Win-Loss record before Smith? Etc, etc., etc.

But yet, when Smith gets here, we have the first back to back winning seasons for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Weird.

With a solid O line and legit playmakers at WR we could compete for one now.

Our defense is good enough already...

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11276026)
LMAO. Yeah its all Alex Smith. Dude sucks and if you think otherwise you likely have on a pair of Ute panties.

You tell me.

Go look at the 2012/13 roster versus the 2013/14 and 2014/15 rosters.

You tell me what's the main difference.

(And that's not even beginning to consider that the QB position is, without question, the most important position on the field. I've heard it said by all the 1st Round QB or Bust Crowd that the QB is the leader of the team.)

RunKC 01-18-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11276039)
Wll we wouldnt have be tied into a steaming pile of shit for 5 years of my life so yeah Geno would have been a better move given the flexibilty he gives you to add better pieces or move on to the. next guy

We aren't tied to him. And he's going to be an average paid QB in roughly around the 14th area after Luck, Wilson, Cam and RG3 get their paydays.

And that's not counting Big Ben who will jump him as well.

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11276054)
With a solid O line and legit playmakers at WR we could compete for one now.

Our defense is good enough already...

Agree.

Upgrades at two offensive line spots and a WR that can actually run routes and catch the ball and hit his breaks hard and this is a Super Bowl team.

BigCatDaddy 01-18-2015 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice pocket, open receiver down field. Uh oh. Time to get those happy feet!

RunKC 01-18-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11276110)
Agree.

Upgrades at two offensive line spots and a WR that can actually run routes and catch the ball and hit his breaks hard and this is a Super Bowl team.

Idk man I'm worried about this run defense.

ILChief 01-18-2015 02:39 PM

:LOL:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11275521)

Maybe or maybe not

BigCatDaddy 01-18-2015 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Perfect pocket, 2 guys wide open... PULLS IT DOWN AND RUSHES FOR NO GAIN! LMAO

BigCatDaddy 01-18-2015 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guy breaking open for a TD! TOO RISKY, MUST THROW IT OUT OF BOUNDS!

RunKC 01-18-2015 02:43 PM

You can't really blame Alex for being gun-shy with this OL. Fix the OL and we are better suited for success at this point.

RobBlake 01-18-2015 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11276153)
Guy breaking open for a TD! TOO RISKY, MUST THROW IT OUT OF BOUNDS!

yay! you can show stills from a live action game! EVERY SINGLE QB misses open guys on plenty of play. Do you know the play call? do you know the progression of the play call? Are you playing the QB position where your oline has been leaky?

tecumseh 01-18-2015 02:52 PM

Smith has made some bad decisions with the ball. However, I like the idea of building the team around the QB position, then , regardless of Alex' level of success, the team will be ready for his replacement.

cdcox 01-18-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11276169)
You can't really blame Alex for being gun-shy with this OL. Fix the OL and we are better suited for success at this point.

False. His sack rate during the first 2.5 seconds in the pocket is below the NFL average. No need for him to be gun shy.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...&postcount=227

OnTheWarpath15 01-18-2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11276169)

Yeah, you can.

The OL isn't nearly as bad as Alex makes it look.

Also, he's a goddamn professional. If he's scared, he needs to ****ing quit.

RobBlake 01-18-2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11276221)
False. His sack rate during the first 2.5 seconds in the pocket is below the NFL average. No need for him to be gun shy.

and does he have WR that get open within those 2.5 seconds?

ThaVirus 01-18-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecumseh (Post 11276220)
Smith has made some bad decisions with the ball. However, I like the idea of building the team around the QB position, then , regardless of Alex' level of success, the team will be ready for his replacement.

This is the route we'll be forced to take.

It's a good plan anyway. That's what some idiots don't really understand about the game. Discuss would have us trade Houston, Poe, and Jamaal because we don't have an elite QB. But what happens in 3 years when we've got the guy? We've got no talent to surround him with.

cdcox 01-18-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 11276227)
and does he have WR that get open within those 2.5 seconds?

NFL open, yes. Alex Smith open, no.

But clearly he is better off throwing the ball within the first 2.5 seconds than holding on to it longer. The data points to him not seeing the field well and not being a QB who can make things happen.

Saccopoo 01-18-2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11276126)
Idk man I'm worried about this run defense.

I don't mind the "bend but don't break" philosophy that Sutton employed in defending the run. They were the best against allowing rushing TD's as well as the amazing job they did against the pass.

As well, considering that they lost Johnson, Berry and DeVito early in the season and those three were the best run defenders on the team, I think that they did an admirable job.

They should be better next year defensively, IMO.

They just need the upgrades at two OL positions and a solid receiver that fits the system.

RunKC 01-18-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11276221)

This is such a flawed stat. Are the WR's open? Nope. How often was a TE (or multiple TE's) used to block to give the QB more time, thus taking away multiple receiving threats?

Alex has his faults, but you can't possibly be giving this OL a pass. The worst rated G accompanied by 72nd ranked LT and 64th ranked G are supposably now doing a fine job?

PFF for ya folks.

splatbass 01-18-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11275243)
You're an idiot.

I asked because I was going to mention the line on the Packers most recent Super Bowl run.

Is there an Aaron Rogers available? No, so WTF is your point?

splatbass 01-18-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11276039)

Andy Reid's offense in one of the most complicated in the NFL. It takes a smart QB to run it, one that can read defenses well. Geno Smith is not that QB.

Rausch 01-18-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecumseh (Post 11276220)

THIS...

O.city 01-18-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11276333)
This is such a flawed stat. Are the WR's open? Nope. How often was a TE (or multiple TE's) used to block to give the QB more time, thus taking away multiple receiving threats?

Alex has his faults, but you can't possibly be giving this OL a pass. The worst rated G accompanied by 72nd ranked LT and 64th ranked G are supposably now doing a fine job?

PFF for ya folks.

Wait, so you use PFF to rank the gusrds, but shit on the other metric?

ThaVirus 01-18-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 11276387)
Is there an Aaron Rogers available? No, so WTF is your point?

You asked a question and I was going to attempt to answer it based on your criteria.

You're acting like a butthurt pussy.

cdcox 01-18-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11276561)
Wait, so you use PFF to rank the gusrds, but shit on the other metric?

The guard rankings are a subjective metric.

The other stuff is just data, unless you think they can't operate a stop watch.

RunKC 01-18-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11276589)
The guard rankings are a subjective metric.

The other stuff is just data, unless you think they can't operate a stop watch.

So then they are doing their job and shouldn't be ranked so poorly as individuals.

PFF has contradicted themselves yet again.

O.city 01-18-2015 03:37 PM

They didnt, you did.

cdcox 01-18-2015 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11276624)
So then they are doing their job and shouldn't be ranked so poorly as individuals.

PFF has contradicted themselves yet again.

If you define keeping the QB clean for 2.5 seconds as doing their job. A team could manage to do that and still have members of the OL that were poor.

The argument was that Alex Smith has a right to be gun shy. Since he isn't getting wacked in the first 2.5 seconds any more than any other NFL starter (in fact less than most) it does not seem that he should be gun shy. That is the whole argument.

NJChiefsFan 01-18-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11276302)
I don't mind the "bend but don't break" philosophy that Sutton employed in defending the run. They were the best against allowing rushing TD's as well as the amazing job they did against the pass.

Agreed. Win the redzone and your team will be a very good scoring defense. As you said, when they needed to stop the run to prevent TD's, they did it.

RunKC 01-18-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11276650)
If you define keeping the QB clean for 2.5 seconds as doing their job. A team could manage to do that and still have members of the OL that were poor.

The argument was that Alex Smith has a right to be gun shy. Since he isn't getting wacked in the first 2.5 seconds any more than any other NFL starter (in fact less than most) it does not seem that he should be gun shy. That is the whole argument.

He got hit late by Von Miller and then destroyed by a Steelers player. The offense got the ball out so quickly most of the time this season.

You can't possibly say this OL did a good job giving the QB any time. The NE, OAK and SEA games they did a good job. The rest was definitely below average.

Why don't you watch the Denver game at Arrowhead and see what I'm talking about.

RunKC 01-18-2015 03:54 PM

Also, how much of the scheming was a factor here?

Jet sweep fakes, read option fake to passes, etc. Those freeze the defense for at least a second.

This OL was not good at all, particularly at G. Just a good job by Reid to find some way to hide it.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11276008)
Piece of shit, huh?

Like the 2013 season?

Those are "winning seasons"?

Welp, okay then.

Baby Lee 01-18-2015 04:04 PM

Does anyone else see these threads and to this still wonder 'why all the talk about Low Noise Bandpass filters?'

ViperVisor 01-18-2015 04:15 PM

OL sucked.

And pressure from the outside is different from the middle.
That was what a lot of the pressure was. Guards getting beat or Fisher beat to the inside. QBs can set up and then step up in the pocket as a rusher turns the corner with an outside rush. Up the middle and a QB is usually screwed.

Another way to illustrate the OL suck is seeing Jamaal having to use wizardry to gain yards. No magic and you look like Trent Richardson behind this line.
http://i.imgur.com/Wc9XyNs.jpg

Reid and co. schemed the offense to hell and back because the crew up front was dog doo and it mostly worked out alright. Scoring and key conversions were in the top half of the NFL.

BossChief 01-18-2015 07:25 PM

The OL was fine the first half of the year and then seemingly got really bad overnight.

I think it's clear as day that a big part of that was Alex Smith refusing to take advantage of the deeper throws when they were available. Made safeties refuse to respect our ability to throw the ball past 10 yards...so they could crowd the line and shut down the run while also eliminating most YAC. Teams were able to blitz a little more against us to create more pressure and that put a lot more pressure on the OL...especially when Andy wanted to call a more pass happy attack to counter teams stacking to stop the run.

TEX 01-18-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11278400)
The OL was fine the first half of the year and then seemingly got really bad overnight.

I think it's clear as day that a big part of that was Alex Smith refusing to take advantage of the deeper throws when they were available. Made safeties refuse to respect our ability to throw the ball past 10 yards...so they could crowd the line and shut down the run while also eliminating most YAC. Teams were able to blitz a little more against us to create more pressure and that put a lot more pressure on the OL...especially when Andy wanted to call a more pass happy attack to counter teams stacking to stop the run.

The OL was never fine. It was always below average and got worse over night. It negatively effected all of the offense.

smith11 01-19-2015 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11278400)

deeper throws were available? I guess I missed Dwayne Bowe running by those corners