ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:On first play at camp, Chiefs show their new look (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274833)

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838474)
Clay has tried to dismiss leading the league in YPA which is the most ridiculous thing on the planet.

No it's not.

It's a worthless statistic based on lies.

He led the league in YPA because his completion percentage was high on short passes, not because he threw the ball down the field.

Not surprisingly, his yards per completion was near the bottom of the league, which lends credence to my analysis.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9838461)
There goes the ignorant "career talk" again. A starter the last 2.5 seasons. Take the passer ratings of those seasons and he's top 10 in the league... and a QB assessor like Reid gives up a lot to get him.

You really want to act like he's a backup? :)

Quickest way to spot a guy with a low football IQ:

1.) Uses QB rating to back up their opinion.

A QB can go 5/10 for 35 yards and a TD while losing 34-7 and have a 91 QBR.

Matt Cassel had a game against Philly a few years ago where he got curbstomped, threw for under 100 yards but had like a 114 rating.

One of the most useless statistics in sports.

A guy who put the team on his back, wins, and goes 25/40 for 425 yards, 5 TD's and 3 INT has a rating of 107, while the guy that plays not to lose, loses, going 20/25 for 180 yards, 1 TD and no INT's - has a 121 rating.

I'll take my chances with the first guy every time.

Marcellus 07-27-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9838473)
If Smith succeeds would you want him to be pissed?

the post illustrates how dumb it is for some to act as though we are rooting for this team to fail
Posted via Mobile Device

So you dont get my point that its a win win scenario?

SAUTO 07-27-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

You hope the same thing.

The difference is I believe it because I think he is ascending as a player which he has shown the last 2 years and I think he is in the right situation to keep ascending.

Nothing that happened Smiths last 26 games or so shows he isn't capable. Yea he struggled against the Giants, so has Tom Brady and countless other QB's.

Clay has tried to dismiss leading the league in YPA which is the most ridiculous thing on the planet. Its like people want to ignore the positives and focus on negatives.

And BTW I have posts supporting Smith before he was ever a Chief so this isn't blind homerism because he is now a Chief.

Fair enough.

There aren't many like you though, I think you realize that too.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 07-27-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

You hope the same thing.

The difference is I believe it because I think he is ascending as a player which he has shown the last 2 years and I think he is in the right situation to keep ascending.

Nothing that happened Smiths last 26 games or so shows he isn't capable. Yea he struggled against the Giants, so has Tom Brady and countless other QB's.

Clay has tried to dismiss leading the league in YPA which is the most ridiculous thing on the planet. Its like people want to ignore the positives and focus on negatives.

And BTW I have posts supporting Smith before he was ever a Chief so this isn't blind homerism because he is now a Chief.

He's 29. Pretty tough to claim that he's ascending when he should be in his prime, and it's not like he's been buried on the bench behind a HOFer. And in his best year, he average 175 YPG. This, to me, strongly suggests that his success is due to being highly protected.

We saw similar success from Cassel in '10.

Given that they're statistical twins, I'm expecting much the same type of treatment from the coaching staff in order to put Smith in positions to succeed.

GoChargers 07-27-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9838475)
If guys like OTWP and leg want to be negative or pessimistic, IMO, that's fine because I know if they are wrong they'll come here and admit it and actually enjoy the success.

Like they've said, they don't want these things to happen, it's what they think will happen.

Seriously - I had the same argument a million times with Chargers homers who used to blindly defend Norv and AJ. Negative predictions are generally brought on by a negative track record, not by someone being a "bandwagon fan" or "wanting the team to fail."

Marcellus 07-27-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9838476)
No it's not.

He led the league in YPA because his completion percentage was high on short passes, not because he threw the ball down the field.

Not surprisingly, his yards per completion was near the bottom of the league, which lends credence to my analysis.

Clay it doesn't matter how long the passes were. If you get the most yards out of each attempt, that's the ultimate ****ing goal.

GoChargers 07-27-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9838461)
Take the passer ratings of those seasons

LOL. Let me guess, you judge pitchers by their win/loss record too?

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838466)
Andy Reid's past success with QB's and as an OC is not "excuse and hope".

He has his hand picked guy so he thinks he can win with him.

Reid has brought in guys to help out building an offense that will utilize Smith's athleticism. You do understand that right?

If you dont get that, dont call me a dumbass.

Success with QB's?

I posted the numbers right after he was announced the HC.

Reid had success with the #2 overall pick.

Otherwise, the average numbers for every other QB he's "hand-picked" have been ****ing brutal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9425271)
Yep.

Combined numbers for QB starts under Andy Reid NOT named Donovan McNabb:

38-44 record (.463)
55% completion percentage
112 TD's
94 INT's
70 QBR.

And those numbers are inflated due to Vick, who was a #1 overall pick.

keg in kc 07-27-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838469)
**** yea it perfect, it is already setting up this scenario -

A. Smith succeeds, I am happy as a lark, ****ing A!

B. Smith fails, "I told you so! You dumbasses!"

That's a damn tough situation to be in.

When have I ever said "I told you so"? About anything?

I am much, much more likely to admit that I'm wrong about something than I am to ever gloat about being right.

If Alex Smith did happen to succeed, I would be happy, certainly, but I'd also be saying "wow, I never saw that coming" a lot.

But at the end of the day, what you can't seem to figure out, is that this has nothing to do with me. I don't have any kind of personal stake in this, other than the joy/sorrow of gameday. And I don't know why you have such a hard time understanding that. It's not about being right. It's never about that.

SAUTO 07-27-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838479)

Maybe for some.

Not me. Have you ever seen me or keg say I told you so? Bump old threads?

Hell pgm asked me if I was waiting to bump a thread about something the other day and I told him I wouldn't need to. I know what was said in it.

Now clay on the other hand...
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838482)
He's 29. Pretty tough to claim that he's ascending when he should be in his prime, and it's not like he's been buried on the bench behind a HOFer. And in his best year, he average 175 YPG. This, to me, strongly suggests that his success is due to being highly protected.

We saw similar success from Cassel in '10.

Given that they're statistical twins, I'm expecting much the same type of treatment from the coaching staff in order to put Smith in positions to succeed.

This.

Ascending as a player. LMAO

That's like being proud of a kid who scored 11 on his ACT, then got a 14 the next time he took it. Better than bad does not equal good.

We're looking for 30+ here.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838486)
Clay it doesn't matter how long the passes were. If you get the most yards out of each attempt, that's the ultimate ****ing goal.

Usually high YPA is an indicator that a guy is throwing the ball down the field.

That's why it's a positive.

This is not so in Alex's case, so it's a worthless indicator for him.

BossChief 07-27-2013 02:56 PM

But but but

"Even quarterbacks like Brad Johnson won the superbowl"

Haha yeah, when his defense gets 5 interceptions and takes 3 of them to the house for tds and his head coach used to coach the opposing team that was still using his signals and plays.

Let's bank on that happening for when Romeo becomes the head coach of the team we will play in the superbowl.

ROFL

Or should we discuss Trent Dilfer?

DeezNutz 07-27-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838479)

No, it's not. The people who believe Smith will be "meh" would be wrong. They wouldn't have "won" shit, since their analysis will have been completely off-base.

It doesn't mean they cannot be happy for the team's success.

This is the problem. It seems that True Fans want this to be about "who is right," and this has absolutely nothing to do with how I approach my analysis of the team.

But herein lies the problem. I don't think many fans want to analyze anything. They treat sports like a summer thrill-fest movie. Sit back. Enjoy the ride. Thinking optional.

That's cool. I understand that approach.

It's just not mine.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838545)
No, it's not. The people who believe Smith will be "meh" would be wrong. They wouldn't have "won" shit, since their analysis will have been completely off-base.

This is the problem. It seems that True Fans want this to be about "who is right," and this has absolutely nothing to do with how I approach my analysis of the team.

But herein lies the problem. I don't think many fans want to analyze anything. They treat sports like a summer thrill-fest movie. Sit back. Enjoy the ride. Thinking optional.

It's just not mine.

Couldn't agree more.

DeezNutz 07-27-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838550)
Couldn't agree more.

And to add: this doesn't make these people "dumb." Far from it. There are enough stresses in life to understand why someone sure as **** wouldn't want to make sports potentially one of them.

The irony, then, of these individuals participating in a sports message board where opinions of all sorts must drive the site, yet claiming that some are "ruining the fun," is amazing.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838558)
And to add: this doesn't make these people "dumb." Far from it. There are enough stresses in life to understand why someone sure as **** wouldn't want to make sports potentially one of them.

The irony, then, of these individuals participating in a sports message board where opinions of all sorts must drive the site, yet claiming that some are "ruining the fun," is amazing.

Again, we're in 100% agreement.

BTW, you still haven't PM'd me that new email for the FF league.

DeezNutz 07-27-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838581)
Again, we're in 100% agreement.

BTW, you still haven't PM'd me that new email for the FF league.

Sorry, haven't even created it. By the end of the day tomorrow, promise.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838585)
Sorry, haven't even created it. By the end of the day tomorrow, promise.

No rush, I'm just concerned I'll forget about it.

KCSLC2008 07-27-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9836817)
Knile "I'll never fumble again" Davis?

Yep, it's football season.

If he never catches the ball and lines up incorrectly so that he can't get the ball, he'll never fumble.

P.S. I'm referencing a report that he's dropped a few passes each practice.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9838243)
Yes I do. If he underwhelms, I honestly think he won't be here longer that two years. Assuming this is just another SP and Cassell tied at the hip situation is a stretch.

Just to clarify, I think Smith will play well, and probably will get an extension.

I guess it depends on what you define as "playing well", but in any case, it's a long-term tragedy for the franchise if he does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838266)
Two years is a goddamn eternity. That's two years of Charles, Flowers, Bowe, Hali and DJ we're wasting. That's two years we're not developing a potential franchise QB.

This. The window is closing on good players who have soldiered through this shit-house of a franchise. They deserve better. ****, the FANS deserve better.

Marcellus 07-27-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838545)

It's just not mine.

Ah I see, I am an uniformed non thinker when it comes to the Chiefs because I dont look at just the negatives and look at what could happen in a positive way.

Gotcha.

Like YPA, leading the league is a good thing - ME

YPA , Uh its a trick it doesn't mean what it means in THIS case - Clay

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838670)

If you can't objectively analyze this guy's play, that's not my problem.

8 ypa is nice and all but it's meaningless since his yards per completion have always been low, because he literally throws the ball down the field less than Matt ****ing Cassel.

Ugly Duck 07-27-2013 04:39 PM

Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson: The new breed of NFL QB..... the read-option quarterback. Does Oakland now have to play Terrell Pryor just to counter KC's use of Alex Smith as a mobile read-option QB?

July 27
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs testing read-option plays

Chiefs fans weren’t imagining things on the practice fields at Missouri Western.

The Chiefs were indeed running read-option plays. Quarterbacks Alex Smith and Chase Daniel were faking handoffs to fullbacks and sprinting to the outside, keeping the ball or pitching it to trailing halfbacks.

Just like college football. And just like the read options that were run by several other NFL teams last year, including the San Francisco 49ers, where new Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith started nine games before Colin Kaepernick finished the 49ers’ run to the Super Bowl.

“It’s a change-up for us,” said Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson. “It’s something we’re going to continue to work on. If it gives us an advantage at game time, then it’s something that can definitely help us.

“All of our quarterbacks are capable of doing the zone read, the option, some of the things we saw (Saturday). Alex reads it very well. He has a lot of experience doing it, from not only at San Francisco but back to his college days (at Utah).”

keg in kc 07-27-2013 04:40 PM

We've gotten off track. Wasn't this originally about the awesome deep passing game we're going to see featuring Dexter McCluster?

Marcellus 07-27-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9838676)
If you can't objectively analyze this guy's play, that's not my problem.

8 ypa is nice and all but it's meaningless since his yards per completion have always been low, because he literally throws the ball down the field less than Matt ****ing Cassel.

Explain why it matters that you throw the ball 10 yards and get 10 yards of YAC or you throw it 20 yards and get no YAC?

Please explain the difference in those yards Clay.

I am not the one with unobjective analysis here. You are obsessed with a stat that proves nothing.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9838707)
We've gotten off track. Wasn't this originally about the awesome deep passing game we're going to see featuring Dexter McCluster?

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 04:42 PM

I'm surprised that boy can read the name on his jersey much less an option.

Ugly Duck 07-27-2013 04:43 PM

For Chief Fans unfamiliar with the RGIII/Alex Smith/Michael Vick type QB, here's some basics of read-option stuff:

A defense letters the gaps in an offensive line. The spaces between the center and both guards are called the A gaps; the B gaps are between the guards and tackles; C gaps are between a tackle and a tight end; and D gaps are just beyond a tight end’s outside shoulder. Most defenders are assigned a gap on every snap. If a defensive tackle shoots the A gap, for instance, a linebacker would take the B. When you hear TV analysts saying a player is being undisciplined, it’s often because he’s chasing the flow of a play instead of minding his gap.

The best defense to stop a traditional running offense is the 3-4. With three down linemen responsible for the interior and two outside linebackers covering the edges, all the gaps are covered. The two inside linebackers react to the flow of a play and help form a wall, meaning a properly defensed running play should yield no room for a back to break through the line of scrimmage.

In a single-gap scheme, often a 4-3, a lineman is tasked with clogging one hole and making a tackle if the ballcarrier comes his way. In a two-gap scheme, often a 3-4, he’s responsible for the gap on either his left or right. His main job is to engage blockers so the linebackers behind him can make tackles. The 3-4 alone won’t stop the read-option, because it creates an extra gap, but it allows for the easiest adjustment.

Against a pocket passer in a traditional offense, gap responsibility stops at D. And the defense has the upper hand in such matchups, essentially playing 11 against 10 because the quarterback isn’t a threat to run. But when you introduce a QB who has the ability to fake an inside handoff and then scoot around the weak end of the defense*, the E gap is created in an area that is typically left unguarded. The game now becomes 11-on-11, the new math of the NFL.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838708)
Explain why it matters that you throw the ball 10 yards and get 10 yards of YAC or you throw it 20 yards and get no YAC?

Please explain the difference in those yards Clay.

We're talking about yards per completion.

That includes YAC.

Alex Smith doesn't throw the ball down the field, and his receivers don't pick up a lot of YAC either.

Sorry to disappoint.

keg in kc 07-27-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Duck (Post 9838716)
For Chief Fans unfamiliar with the RGIII/Alex Smith/Michael Vick type QB,

LMAO

Good one Duck.

RunKC 07-27-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9838476)
No it's not.

Your stat shit is a misconception. How often does Tony Romo have great stats? And look at the overrated POS he is.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:00 PM

I'd trust Tony Romo to win a Super Bowl before Alex Smith.

O.city 07-27-2013 05:00 PM

Romo isn't overrated. He's carried that team the past couple years, the team around him has been awful and he's kept them in the hunt every year.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9838744)
Romo isn't overrated. He's carried that team the past couple years, the team around him has been awful and he's kept them in the hunt every year.

Exactly.

I swear, this place criticizes the shit out of good QBs and defends shitty ones to the death.

BossChief 07-27-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838743)

I would, too.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9838738)
Your stat shit is a misconception. How often does Tony Romo have great stats? And look at the overrated POS he is.

And he's miles better than Alex Smith.

In fact he beat him head to head. In 2011.

Coogs 07-27-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9838480)
Fair enough.

There aren't many like you though, I think you realize that too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am. I was one of the few who wanted Smith and to bring in a QB to groom. I was hoping with 1.1, but it appears we have one for the time being in Bray.

BossChief 07-27-2013 05:07 PM

If we had traded for Romo, I'd be homering it up right now.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9838754)
If we had traded for Romo, I'd be homering it up right now.

Same.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838743)

Eh, the last really "up" year he had wasn't really all that up. That said, it would probably be a more interesting mix overall than anything Axl will be bringing.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 05:20 PM

Tony Romo averaged 300 yards game last year.

Alex Smith does it once every 2 or 3 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9838779)
Tony Romo averaged 300 yards game last year.

Alex Smith does it once every 2 or 3 years.

I feel ya', but the stat-line alone just doesn't do much for me.

Easy 6 07-27-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838758)
Same.

Big arm, bad decision maker.

Small arm, good decision maker... whats the difference.

stevieray 07-27-2013 05:23 PM

I wouldv'e double bagged it.

DeezNutz 07-27-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9838670)
Ah I see, I am an uniformed non thinker when it comes to the Chiefs because I dont look at just the negatives and look at what could happen in a positive way.

Gotcha.

No, apparently you don't. You're trying to establish a false dichotomy.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9838785)

If he shakes the rust off, maybe.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

One guy carried a team to 8-8 despite the 25th ranked defense and 22nd ranked running game.

Another guy gets carried.

They both have one playoff win for their careers so who gives a shit?

What do you think happens if Romo plays with a top ranked defense and running game?

Messier 07-27-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9838792)
One guy carried a team to 8-8 despite the 25th ranked defense and 22nd ranked running game.

Another guy gets carried.

They both have one playoff win for their careers so who gives a shit?

What do you think happens if Romo plays with a top ranked defense and running game?

Throws a pick 6 and loses the game in the final minutes.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Bad decision maker, yet he has a better INT percentage than Alex Smith, while taking WAY more shots downfield.

DeezNutz 07-27-2013 05:27 PM

Perhaps the perception is false, but it does seem that Romo has a habit of pissing himself.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838803)
Perhaps the perception is false, but it does seem that Romo has a habit of pissing himself.

I think it is what it is, thus my not being particularly floored by a superior stat-line.

I know people LOVE to throw numbers around, but they really don't tell the complete tale for better OR worse.

keg in kc 07-27-2013 05:30 PM

I'd rather have Smith than Romo. And you know how much I like Smith.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9838815)

I think they're BOTH a a couple of old testicles in a dogs saggy nutsack.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838803)

You know what happens when Alex Smith plays with a running game and defense in the bottom 10?

You get this abortion.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/sfo/2007.htm

Shit, this guy played with the 4th ranked defense and produced an 8-8 season.

keg in kc 07-27-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9838789)
No, apparently you don't. You're trying to establish a false dichotomy.

He's like the love child of Denise and John Proctor. Contrarily positive, narcissistically proselytizing.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9838815)

No disrespect, but that tells me you're a "play not to lose" type of guy and not a "play to win" type of guy.

Give me a guy who can sling it, throw for 4500 yards and the occasional 4-5 TD game. I can live with mistakes if you have that ability.

Dink and dunk, few mistakes, but can't put the team on your back or keep the defense honest?

No thanks.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9838822)
You know what happens when Alex Smith plays with a running game and defense in the bottom 10?

You get this abortion.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/sfo/2007.htm

Boom goes the dynamite.

keg in kc 07-27-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838828)
No disrespect, but that tells me you're a "play not to lose" type of guy and not a "play to win" type of guy.

Nah, I just don't think Romo's any good. At all.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9838826)
He's like the love child of Denise and John Proctor. Contrarily positive, narcissistically proselytizing.

Spot on.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9838826)
narcissistically proselytizing.

LMAO

keg in kc 07-27-2013 05:37 PM

I had to spellcheck that. I'm still not sure I got it right.

Hammock Parties 07-27-2013 05:41 PM

I don't think it's a word, but it should be.

Easy 6 07-27-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Give me a guy who can sling it, throw for 4500 yards and the occasional 4-5 TD game. I can live with mistakes if you have that ability.

Dink and dunk, few mistakes, but can't put the team on your back or keep the defense honest?

No thanks.

Thats entirely fair, go for broke or go home, i prefer that style just as you do.

But Romo in particular has done nothing but go home, he isnt any better than Smythe when you add it up... Clays stats, while severe, dont ask the question of just how much did Romo's decisions throughout a given game affect those rankings.

I'm no Axl homer and will draw pistols on anyone saying different... but Romo is no savior, he's going to excite the hell out of you then crap his pants when it counts, Jim Everett 2.0

Is Smythe any better? i'm atleast willing to wait and see... i have no other choice anyway.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9838839)
I had to spellcheck that. I'm still not sure I got it right.

We know what you meant.

LMAO

BossChief 07-27-2013 05:45 PM

It's a discipline and coaching thing with Romo as far as his decision making goes.

The guy has had some really really good years throwing that included few mistakes.
4500 yards 26tds 9ints
4200 yards 31tds 10 ints

I just think that certain players have all the tools, but get matchup up with lesser coaches that don't know how to get that skill to equate to wins and losses and that is how I sees Romo.

If JJ brings in a coach next year that can keep Romo in check, that team can instantly be a contender.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2013 05:46 PM

He played a hell of a game against NE in 2009, but ended up losing anyway.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9838863)
Thats entirely fair, go for broke or go home, i prefer that style just as you do.

But Romo in particular has done nothing but go home, he isnt any better than Smythe when you add it up... Clays stats, while severe, dont ask the question of just how much did Romo's decisions throughout a given game affect those rankings.

I'm no Axl homer and will draw pistols on anyone saying different... but Romo is no savior, he's going to excite the hell out of you then crap his pants when it counts, Jim Everett 2.0

Nothing but go home?

He's the only reason they ever even have a chance. Terrible OL, defense prone to the big play, no consistency in the running game.

He's carried that organization, and he gets crucified over dropping a placement. Shit happens.

ToxSocks 07-27-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9838863)

Romo isn't the type of QB i think of when reading OTW's description. The type of QB i'm thinking of gets picked off by forcing the ball into tight windows and giving his receiver a chance.

Romo is a different kind of QB. He's not just INT prone, he's accident prone. He makes dumb mistakes.

BossChief 07-27-2013 05:52 PM

Romo has to constantly try to win shootouts and has put the team on his back for years now.

Id also like to believe that a change of scenery would do him well in helping to limit his distractions.

Coogs 07-27-2013 05:55 PM

Smith in 2 playoff games has 5 TD's and 0 INT's. That ain't bad.

And from all accounts has not looked bad in camp so far without having the teams best receiver on the field yet. Most all of the questionable throws he has had usually have Baldwin's name on the receiving end of things, so I see no real cause for alarm just yet.

He seems to have had no problem with Charles, McCluster, Kelce, and Hemmingway so far. If that is the case, put Bowe in with those guys, and things should be just fine. And from what I have read, Avery is running with the 2nd team, so he should be passing Baldwin up for some 1st team reps soon.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-27-2013 05:55 PM

Romo is 1-5 in must win games to either get to the playoffs or win in the playoffs. The one win coming in the 09 playoffs. The other five times he has shit the bed. Of all the QBs CP rags on he is deserving of it, IMO.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-27-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9838890)
Romo has to constantly try to win shootouts and has put the team on his back for years now.

Id also like to believe that a change of scenery would do him well in helping to limit his distractions.

I think a change of scenery would do well for Romo as well. But I'm not gonna give him the excuse you just did. How many franchise QBs do we see year in and out that put their teams on their backs and lead them to victory? Only about 5, yes, but let's just call Romo what he is...a second tier QB that isn't big time...yet.

OnTheWarpath15 07-27-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9838904)
Romo is 1-5 in must win games to either get to the playoffs or win in the playoffs. The one win coming in the 09 playoffs. The other five times he has shit the bed. Of all the QBs CP rags on he is deserving of it, IMO.

He's the only reason they even get to a must-win situation.

Mav 07-27-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9838923)
I think a change of scenery would do well for Romo as well. But I'm not gonna give him the excuse you just did. How many franchise QBs do we see year in and out that put their teams on their backs and lead them to victory? Only about 5, yes, but let's just call Romo what he is...a second tier QB that isn't big time...yet.

He puts up great stats. But his turnovers and propensity to lose any game that he has to win, and it usually has to do with a bone headed turnover that end up costing them. Hes a great fantasy qb. just not sure how big time of a qb he is.

BigMeatballDave 07-27-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

No thanks.

Eh, Palmer threw for 4000 last season.

GoChargers 07-27-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

No thanks.

I'm no Alice Smiff ballwasher, but that's a little ridiculous. You're making Romo sound like Favre or something. I'd be just as unenthusiastic with Romo under center as I'd be with Smiff.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-27-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9838930)
He's the only reason they even get to a must-win situation.

He's also a big part of the reason they go home. The best game I've seen him play was that 09 playoff game. I have to watch them a lot sadly due to my Cowboys fan devil wife. Lol

Jakemall 07-27-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9838822)

You get this abortion.

You get a shoulder injury that effectively ends your next 2 seasons? Yup. Well played sir, well played.

You know he only played 7 games that season..and 4 of them with the injury. He was 2 and 1 prior to being injured. So your commentary was actually on Dilfer.

People should be careful when they play with stats...they might get burned...