ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs trade (Arenas) for...wait for it...a FB? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272672)

ChiefAshhole20 05-01-2013 01:40 PM

Arenas didn't want to be here anymore. There was more than one CB brought in this year by the FO that was going to play over him and Arenas didn't like it (see his reaction to Arrowhead Pride on Twitter once Smith and Arenas was signed). Instead of upright releasing him, Dorsey got something in return, even though it may have been minimal, it was still something.

saphojunkie 05-01-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9649132)
why does it make all the criers cry to point out obvious things?

CB value > FB value

Arenas is a mediocre nickle back
this choad is not even a mediocre FB

the value simply doesn't align

Mediocre nickelbacks who have reached their ceiling have less than no value. They have negative value. I'd literally rather have any rookie free agent taking Arenas' snaps in camp, because there is even the remotest possibility that they could develop into a solid contributor.

Arenas was tied for 18th in the league in PRYD average with 8.9 per return. Whoopty doo!

Leodis McKelvin led the league with 18.7. Get the **** out of my face with Arenas having any value other than making McCluster look more normal in group photos.

Sorter 05-01-2013 01:41 PM

Not thread-worthy IMO but I didn't know where else to put it. So...

Dunta Robinson and Brandon Flowers lined up as the starting corners during Tuesday's minicamp session.
Sean Smith came on with the nickel defense, kicking Flowers inside to the slot. It's an intimidating trio for opposing offenses as all three corners are capable of handling No. 1 wideouts. The physically imposing Smith figures to see more time in the base defense when the Chiefs need to slow down a bigger receiver. Flowers graded out as a top-seven corner last season, per Pro Football Focus. Apr 17 - 10:31 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2774/dunta-robinson

the Talking Can 05-01-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9649153)
Would you trade William Bartee for Tony Richardson?

And before you get off-topic and compare this guy to Tony Richardson (which I'm not doing), please answer the question.

Just want to see if you can be honest with yourself that your point, actually, is only accurate if the use of the players and their remaining seasons and their skills are equal.

my bad, I guess I should have distinguished between probowl players and 3rd stringers...you got me, there is always an excpetion

so, are we trading for Tony Richardson?

RINGLEADER 05-01-2013 01:42 PM

And, again, I like Arenas and think he could be an okay third or fourth CB. But I also recognize he lacks the intangibles that Reid wants.

milkman 05-01-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9649135)
I was being sarcastic.

I understood that, which is why I said "obviously".

Quote:

Reid probably does recognize it but it still begs the question: why trade two #2's for Smith?
It was a stupid trade.
I also believe that trading a CB for a FB is a stupid trade.

All I'm saying here is this move, along with all the other FBs competing for a roster spot, suggests that he does recognize what he traded for.

mcaj22 05-01-2013 01:43 PM

if they play Sean Smith and Dunta Robinson in the base defense over Brandon Flowers even 1 ****ing snap in a game this season this FO deserves to be fired

the fact that they insist on starting Dunta Robinson, a known burn victim is a joke in itself

DJ's left nut 05-01-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9648951)
the issue I have is the value of a hall of fame TE for a ****ing FB

and you wonder why this team will never win anything

I do love that the 'aging' Tony Gonzalez will play longer for the team he got traded to than the guy the Chiefs got for him as part of their rebuilding effort.

Showed up a year later, left a year sooner. Nicely done, Pioli.

saphojunkie 05-01-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9649160)
my bad, I guess I should have distinguished between probowl players and 3rd stringers...you got me, there is always an excpetion

so, are we trading for Tony Richardson?

The odds are wildly against it, but then again Richardson spent his first season as an UFA on the practice squad with Dallas before being unceremoniously dumped.

RINGLEADER 05-01-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9649160)
you got me, there is always an excpetion

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr. Laz 05-01-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9649161)
And, again, I like Arenas and think he could be an okay third or fourth CB. But I also recognize he lacks the intangibles that Reid wants.

say what!!!!!

just want intangibles does Arenas lack?

-King- 05-01-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9649153)
Would you trade William Bartee for Tony Richardson?

And before you get off-topic and compare this guy to Tony Richardson (which I'm not doing), please answer the question.

Just want to see if you can be honest with yourself that your point, actually, is only accurate if the use of the players and their remaining seasons and their skills are equal.

Would you trade Brandon Flowers for Boomer Grigsby?
Posted via Mobile Device

mcaj22 05-01-2013 01:46 PM

yea Andy Reid really knows CBs

how did Nnamdi and DRC work out last season for the Eagles

Andy just likes to spend on CBs than crosses his fingers they dont get beat like a drum all game

Saul Good 05-01-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9649143)
other gms have erotic dreams about trading with Dorsey...

I bet this one started as a dare one night when Arizona's front office was getting shit faced...

Nailed it...

GMs around the league were salivating while watching the tape of Javier ****ing Arenas and wondering how they could possibly swing a deal for him.

The dude was and is garbage. He was going to get cut. The FB was going to get cut. Who ****ing cares?

I swear...if we win the ****ing Super Bowl, people around here are going to bitch about not having anything to bitch about. All of the know it all armchair GMs around here must not feel stupid enough about the entire season spent cheering for losses so they could get the number one pick and blow it on a guy who went in the middle of the second round, so they have decided to hitch their wagons to a shitty nickel back.

Spoiler alert: You still look dumb.

ChiefAshhole20 05-01-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9649178)
yea Andy Reid really knows CBs

how did Nnamdi and DRC work out last season for the Eagles

Andy just likes to spend on CBs than crosses his fingers they dont get beat like a drum all game

They had a OL coach calling their plays, and the worst safety duo in the league behind them. Literally almost zero chance for success

the Talking Can 05-01-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9649182)
Nailed it...

GMs around the league were salivating while watching the tape of Javier ****ing Arenas and wondering how they could possibly swing a deal for him.

The dude was and is garbage. He was going to get cut. The FB was going to get cut. Who ****ing cares?

I swear...if we win the ****ing Super Bowl, people around here are going to bitch about not having anything to bitch about. All of the know it all armchair GMs around here must not feel stupid enough about the entire season spent cheering for losses so they could get the number one pick and blow it on a guy who went in the middle of the second round, so they have decided to hitch their wagons to a shitty nickel back.

i've explained in detail the difference in value of this trade, and I'm correct

but since we can't discuss simple things like this without the crying brigade showing up, well, we're stuck with you...

Kiimo 05-01-2013 01:49 PM

If this guy can be a special teams hero, it's worth it.

Because Arena couldn't play corner or really return kicks. At least a fullback who is a special teams captain has a bit of value.

23 pages on this trade that has like next-to-zero significance in the upcoming season.

WakkaWakka 05-01-2013 01:49 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/2n66pf.gif

mcaj22 05-01-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9649187)
They had a OL coach calling their plays, and the worst safety duo in the league behind them. Literally almost zero chance for success

oh and who do you think is going to be playing center field FS for us? someone good?

funny joke. we had the worst FS in the league last year and we will probably have it again this year.

Sorter 05-01-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledFan (Post 9649197)

ROFL

BigCatDaddy 05-01-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

LMAO Perfect

Bootlegged 05-01-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

From Left to Right:

KeginKC, BossChief, SNR

Strongside 05-01-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootlegged (Post 9649205)
From Left to Right:

KeginKC, BossChief, SNR

Chubby girl in glasses in background: Hootie.

Sassy Squatch 05-01-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

It never stops.

WakkaWakka 05-01-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9649212)
It never stops.

I freakin hate that gif so much, but I just couldn't resist LMAO

DJ's left nut 05-01-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9649136)
Arenas was a solid #3 CB and one of the better punt returners in the league.

Just traded him for a ****ing FB. How many does that make now?

Dorsey is terrible at this trading thing.

This is just inaccurate.

He's a below average #3 CB and a completely worthless punt returner. A legitimate good punt returner will actually present a credible threat to break one. Arenas was a guy that fair caught a shitload of punts and only tried to break on them when they were easily returnable. As a consequence, he was able to generate a decent stat line through nothing more than catching the ball and running straight ahead.

Whoever returns punts for us this year will do a better job of it than Arenas did.

And he's a crap CB. Nobody would've said boo about it had we outright cut the guy. He's small, he's slow and his instincts haven't progressed a drop since we got him.

He didn't have more value in the league otherwise someone would've offered it. Do you really think these GMs don't ask around on a player before dealing them? If anyone was eager to give up a pick for Arenas, they'd have done it by now.

I don't know why we traded him for a FB when Reid doesn't really use them. That's why I was pissed about the Wilson pick. But in the end I suspect that these guys don't see him as a FB but rather a special teams contributor. If he goes out there and does a good job on STs, there's some very good value there.

You guys can keep saying "CBs are more valuable than FBs" or whatever hypothetical tripe you'd like to throw out there - but if there was a market for Arenas, we'd have traded him for more than we got. There's no market for the guy because frankly, there just isn't a market for short, slow CBs with lousy technique.

mcaj22 05-01-2013 02:01 PM

hes a crap CB but Dunta Robinson is not better than him

that's my argument. Just like Stanford Routt wasnt better than him last season.

You could shit on Javier Arenas all you want, I dont think hes good either. But you cant defend Dunta Robinson or Sean Smith as better when its the same god awful crap

It's a downgrade or parallel move at best no matter how you look at it

Rain Man 05-01-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9649167)
I do love that the 'aging' Tony Gonzalez will play longer for the team he got traded to than the guy the Chiefs got for him as part of their rebuilding effort.

Showed up a year later, left a year sooner. Nicely done, *****.

Ouch. That hurt.

RealSNR 05-01-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

From Left to Right:

KeginKC, BossChief, SNR

It's okay, sweetie. Tell mommy what those mean people said to you on the internet.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9649223)

You could shit on Javier Arenas all you want, I dont think hes good either. But you cant defend Dunta Robinson or Sean Smith as better when its the same god awful crap

We'll see.

I'm not inclined to argue the point right now because it's raw speculation. I don't see how anyone can categorically state that Robinson will be no better at NCB than Arenas when Robinson's never been given the lighter responsibility that comes with playing that role. He's struggled as a #1 CB because frankly he's just not physically up to the task anymore but that is not what he's being asked to do here. Corners can do a damn nice job inside by simply being smart and physical. I'm willing to see if Robinson can use his veteran savvy to get there. Robinson is by no means a dumb player and he's going to be a battler out there. I think he can do a very nice job with the diminished responsibilities.

The bottom line is that we weren't going to be a good team with Arenas playing a critical role in the defense.

We might not be a good team with Robinson playing a critical role in the defense either, but at least there was an attempt to upgrade there. Time will tell if we actually got one and if we didn't, we'll cut him and try again.

patteeu 05-01-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9649157)
Get the **** out of my face with Arenas having any value other than making McCluster look more normal in group photos.

:LOL:

Carlota69 05-01-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

This cracks me up everytime I see it.ROFLROFLROFL

The thing that makes me laugh the hardest is that is over drafting Fisher, who I was happy with but come on now....

mikey23545 05-01-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk Chief (Post 9649028)
Dave Taub's fingerprints are on this. Special Teams will be fun to watch this year.

Yep...Sherman was a special teams captain for the Cardinals. I imagine that was his value more than FB...

Ming the Merciless 05-01-2013 02:14 PM

awesome he ranks 20 out of 25! isnt that like 20% out of 100%???

at least he is better than 4 other fb's

HEY GUYS HE ISNT THE WORST!

King_Chief_Fan 05-01-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9649182)
Nailed it...

knuckle heads been owned!:thumb:

Shox 05-01-2013 02:19 PM

It is not about have we signed better corners during the offseason. It is about getting value. A nickle corner is worth more than a starting FB unless maybe it is a multiple all-pro FB.

1. What happens if 3 CBs go down during training camp. At least you have a guy like JA who can be training camp foder and allow you to conduct a somewhat normal camp if you find yourself in this situation.
2. You can never have two many CBs. We all agree JA was not a #1 or #2 CB, maybe even a marginal slot CB, but I think we can all agree he was not a total waste of talent.
3. This trade screams to other teams come trade we us.....nobody will give you more for less. Is this really the message you want to send around the league.
4. What happens if another team has a rash of injuries at the CB position. Maybe the Chiefs could have traded him for a 4th or even 5th rounder to a desperate team during camp.
5. The worst case is you hang on to him and cut him at the end of camp. The result is the same.

This is a stupid move anyway you look at it.

KCDC 05-01-2013 02:19 PM

Head scratcher.

Arenas did okay after Routt left. He was our best blitzing CB. We do not exactly have a wealth of CBs, whereas we have a wealth of FBs. Behind the starting 3 CBs there are only question marks. Finding good backup CBs is much harder than finding backup FBs.

Looks like we got burned in yet another trade. Dorsey has not impressed me yet with his trading accumen. He was robbed in his first trade and this one makes little sense unless he hated Arena's talent. ARIZ will sign whichever FB we cut and they will be fine, and have a starting nickel back.

Just Passin' By 05-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9649245)
We'll see.

I'm not inclined to argue the point right now because it's raw speculation. I don't see how anyone can categorically state that Robinson will be no better at NCB than Arenas when Robinson's never been given the lighter responsibility that comes with playing that role. He's struggled as a #1 CB because frankly he's just not physically up to the task anymore but that is not what he's being asked to do here. Corners can do a damn nice job inside by simply being smart and physical. I'm willing to see if Robinson can use his veteran savvy to get there. Robinson is by no means a dumb player and he's going to be a battler out there. I think he can do a very nice job with the diminished responsibilities.

The bottom line is that we weren't going to be a good team with Arenas playing a critical role in the defense.

We might not be a good team with Robinson playing a critical role in the defense either, but at least there was an attempt to upgrade there. Time will tell if we actually got one and if we didn't, we'll cut him and try again.

In a league where you need at least 3 outside CBs, and 2 slot CBs, trading one of the five for a position of non-need justifiably opens you up to questions and scrutiny. The Chiefs do not currently have 5 CBs that have shown to be better than Arenas, or even 4. Things can change moving forward, but that's where it stands today.

ILChief 05-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9649254)

Wait, I was told the 20th ranked LT was elite and franchise type player

BigCatDaddy 05-01-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9649249)
This cracks me up everytime I see it.ROFLROFLROFL

The thing that makes me laugh the hardest is that is over drafting Fisher, who I was happy with but come on now....

Farmland Fury baby!

mcaj22 05-01-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9649245)
We'll see.

This exact stuff was said about Stanford Routt last year going into the season and it's just the same crap different year. Dunta Robinson has 1 leg, he's slow and he cant cover ANYONE, whether as a CB1, CB2 or in the slot. He can play the run, tackle and hit people. The end. He has no range and is slow and will probably gamble way too much with no FS help behind him because our FS will be terrible again with some nobody back there

It's exactly what Routt did.

I'll give you Sean Smith, he's young and has the measurables that can definitely be coached up

Ming the Merciless 05-01-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9649268)

Is albert ranked 20th? wow....seriously? maybe that ranking system sucks.....i guess theres hope?

New World Order 05-01-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9649254)

LMAO

nychief 05-01-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9649266)
In a league where you need at least 3 outside CBs, and 2 slot CBs, trading one of the five for a position of non-need justifiably opens you up to questions and scrutiny. The Chiefs do not currently have 5 CBs that have shown to be better than Arenas, or even 4. Things can change moving forward, but that's where it stands today.

He was obviously not one of our top 5, Sherlock.

Just Passin' By 05-01-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9649280)
He was obviously not one of our top 5, Sherlock.

Reading's not your strong suit, I see. Good luck with remedial classes.

Ming the Merciless 05-01-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

From Left to Right:

KeginKC, BossChief, SNR

sorry but ive run my hands and fingers through SNR's hair a million times in my mind

and he doesnt wear a piece / wig...that guy in the pic clearly does

SNR has more of a flat top with a tail, i can feel it in my imagination

saphojunkie 05-01-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9649268)

Dang, we're just calling people out for everything in this thread. No bandwagon is safe! Pretty soon we'll be butting heads on Sean LaChapelle.

Saul Good 05-01-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9649223)

If you look at it realistically (that is to say we were just going to cut Arenas, anyway), then there is no downside here. I don't know if we got anything of value in return, but we gave up nothing.

There may be no upside, but there definitely isn't a downside.

If we're one Javier Arenas away from winning the Super Bowl next year, I will never post again.

ptlyon 05-01-2013 02:28 PM

Sean LaChapelle sucks

ILChief 05-01-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9649276)
Is albert ranked 20th? wow....seriously? maybe that ranking system sucks.....i guess theres hope?

He actually was ranked worse than 20th

Note: I think Albert is better than the 20th ranked LT, I was just making a point

KCDC 05-01-2013 02:29 PM

Rest assured that Miami is now on the phone with Dorsey suggesting they will trade someone they plan to cut in camp for Brandon Albert and Dorsey is asking Reid if it is okay because it will save him $9 M cap money that he can spend on other crappy free agents like Dunta that will free us up cutting better young talent later.

Ming the Merciless 05-01-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9649293)

Note: I think Albert is better than the 20th ranked LT, I was just making a point

point well taken, i didn't realize their rating system was so bad

Saul Good 05-01-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDC (Post 9649294)
Rest assured that Miami is now on the phone with Dorsey suggesting they will trade someone they plan to cut in camp for Brandon Albert and Dorsey is asking Reid if it is okay because it will save him $9 M cap money that he can spend on other crappy free agents like Dunta that will free us up cutting better young talent later.

You know it. They're probably scheming up ways to acquire Frank Zombo from us as we speak.

Rain Man 05-01-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9649291)
Sean LaChapelle sucks

You've got to be kidding me. He had all sorts of potential. He was the Geno Smith of wide receivers.

Chief Faithful 05-01-2013 02:34 PM

Glad so see they are finally addressing the FB position. :banghead:

ptlyon 05-01-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9649303)
You've got to be kidding me. He had all sorts of potential. He was the Geno Smith of wide receivers.

Youre thinking of Marc Boerighter

Saul Good 05-01-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9649306)

Wasn't she on Survivor?

ptlyon 05-01-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9649314)
Wasn't she on Survivor?

Yes

HemiEd 05-01-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9649293)

Link? I posted an article here a while back that showed him tied for 5th, but don't feel like going to find it again. Tied for 5th trying to protect Cassel should land you a huge contract.

Rain Man 05-01-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9649306)

I'll never forget his touchdown catch in Super Bowl IV.

Setsuna 05-01-2013 02:43 PM

ROFL LMAO ROFL LMAO My first week as a Chief and this happens. What have I done?

DJ's left nut 05-01-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9649266)

The Chiefs, and essentially any team with designs on actually winning anything legitimate in this league, have no use for Javier Arenas.

And no, they don't have guys that are demonstrable better than him yet, but they do have guys that certainly could be and I'm not at all inclined to cut any of them to keep an established bit of sub-standard CB on our roster just because he's a known quantity.

You're spinning your wheels with Javier Arenas occupying a key spot on your club. And as to the rest of your inflated statements regarding CBs in this league...well that's just silly. Jalil Brown was our #4 CB last year and just exactly how critical was he to the success or failure of our defense last year? He was largely irrelevant until Routt got cut and he was elevated to the 3 role. And our 5th CB...I guess that was Travis Daniels but I'm not even sure of that.

No, you don't need 3 outside corners and 2 inside corners. You need two legitimate outside corners and we believe we have those in Flowers and Smith. You need a solid interior CB that can play 40% of the snaps and do a good job. None of you have any idea if we have that in Robinson because that's never been what's been asked of him. We do know that Arenas got abused pretty steadily in that role last year.

Then you have a couple of dime corners and depth corners. They're largely luxury items and rarely if ever make a difference on the field. Frankly, every team in the league struggles to fill those spots and generally fills them with developmental guys and not dudes with a track record of mediocrity.

You guys are just vastly overstating the impact of the CB beyond the #3 guys and vastly overstating Arena's performance as said #3 guy. This just does not matter.

saphojunkie 05-01-2013 02:45 PM

I'll say it - **** Javier Arenas. **** him for being our compensation for Tony Gonzalez. **** him for not beingTerrence Cody. Or Navorro Bowman. Or Aaron Hernandez. Or Jimmy Graham. Or Kam Chancellor.

**** him for his shitty punt returns where he takes one step, reverses, spins, and takes a ****ing seat on the turf for a return of three yards.

**** him for being the first in a long line of reeruned moves ***** made in the secondary. I hope he feels ashamed. I hope he is reading the paper saying "they traded me for a FULLBACK? A SHITTY FULLBACK?"

Yeah, bro. You got traded for a shitty fullback that won't make the practice squad. That's how bad you suck. That's how bad ***** sucks.

Wallow in your shame, you midget.

Shox 05-01-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9649329)
The Chiefs, and essentially any team with designs on actually winning anything legitimate in this league, have no use for Javier Arenas.

And no, they don't have guys that are demonstrable better than him yet, but they do have guys that certainly could be and I'm not at all inclined to cut any of them to keep an established bit of sub-standard CB on our roster just because he's a known quantity.

You're spinning your wheels with Javier Arenas occupying a key spot on your club. And as to the rest of your inflated statements regarding CBs in this league...well that's just silly. Jalil Brown was our #4 CB last year and just exactly how critical was he to the success or failure of our defense last year? He was largely irrelevant until Routt got cut and he was elevated to the 3 role. And our 5th CB...I guess that was Travis Daniels but I'm not even sure of that.

No, you don't need 3 outside corners and 2 inside corners. You need two legitimate outside corners and we believe we have those in Flowers and Smith. You need a solid interior CB that can play 40% of the snaps and do a good job. None of you have any idea if we have that in Robinson because that's never been what's been asked of him. We do know that Arenas got abused pretty steadily in that role last year.

Then you have a couple of dime corners and depth corners. They're largely luxury items and rarely if ever make a difference on the field. Frankly, every team in the league struggles to fill those spots and generally fills them with developmental guys and not dudes with a track record of mediocrity.

You guys are just vastly overstating the impact of the CB beyond the #3 guys and vastly overstating Arena's performance as said #3 guy. This just does not matter.

No we are not. You are overstating the value of the 5th FB on the roster. Nobody is claiming JA should have been certain of a roster spot. But, he is better than another FB and it is a stupid trade!!!!!

Sorter 05-01-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

None of you have any idea if we have that in Robinson because that's never been what's been asked of him.

I thought Dunta moved inside for all of their nickel/dime sets.

He got torched IIRC by DMC in the first game last year playing in the slot.

bevischief 05-01-2013 02:47 PM

At least it didn't cost a draft pick.

saphojunkie 05-01-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9649340)
No we are not. You are overstating the value of the 5th FB on the roster. Nobody is claiming JA should have been certain of a roster spot. But, he is better than another FB and it is a stupid trade!!!!!

I didn't really buy into your argument until the fifth exclamation point. You really got me there.

ptlyon 05-01-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9649323)
I'll never forget his touchdown catch in Super Bowl IV.

I heard he will be a contestant on DWTS next season

mcaj22 05-01-2013 02:49 PM

anyone that watched football last year has a PERFECT idea of what to expect from Dunta in that role

Dunta was in this exact role in Atlanta with Asante and Grimes, then Grimes got hurt for the year and Dunta was elevated to #2 and got beat like a drum all year

and as the #3 in week 1. Guess who was torching him, Matt ****ing Cassel and that god awful Chiefs team last season. That's how bad he is

Shox 05-01-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9649350)
I didn't really buy into your argument until the fifth exclamation point. You really got me there.

I'm glad we are getting through to you. There is hope for you!!!!!

Setsuna 05-01-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9649346)
I thought Dunta moved inside for all of their nickel/dime sets.

He got torched IIRC by DMC in the first game last year playing in the slot.

Ineresting :hmmm: I wonder if Ace Sanders/Shipley/Shoelaces will be lighting him up then. This could be a problem.

Mr. Laz 05-01-2013 02:52 PM

I imagine they are planning on trying to grab a cornerback after cuts since we just traded our Dime back.

Mr. Laz 05-01-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9649358)
Ineresting :hmmm: I wonder if Ace Sanders/Shipley/Shoelaces will be lighting him up then. This could be a problem.

Arenas was our best slot guy for the little quick WR's

I guess Flowers is taking that position now. :spock:

Just Passin' By 05-01-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

You should have stopped right there, because that's at least an arguable point, even if it is jumping the gun, which is certainly something people should be able to question. The rest of your post was just one bad statement after another.

Setsuna 05-01-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9649365)
Arenas was our best slot guy for the little quick WR's

I guess Flowers is taking that position now. :spock:

ROFL Flowers is an outside guy....let's hope they pick up someone.

Hammock Parties 05-01-2013 02:57 PM

Javier Arenas was trash and this is the final proof.

Suck it!

WhiteWhale 05-01-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9649370)
ROFL Flowers is an outside guy....let's hope they pick up someone.

Flowers is a smart corner with great COD ability, an aggressive mentality, and incredible tackling ability for a corner.

The guy can do fine in the slot.

Shox 05-01-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9649378)

To easy, I will pass.

Mr. Laz 05-01-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Flowers is a smart corner with great COD ability, an aggressive mentality, and incredible tackling ability for a corner.

you usually don't put your best cover corner in the slot

I guess they are already planning for Welker maybe

Setsuna 05-01-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Ok so if the Jags rotate those 3 guys out while Flowers has no viable sub for himself, you think he'll do fine then? Doubtful.