ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Brinkman smoke n grill (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260589)

Dunit35 08-20-2013 09:09 PM

I bought the chargrill pellet grill at Lowes yesterday. The damn thing broke in the first 15 minutes during the seasoning stage. Called Lowes. Said I could take it back. It's going back tomorrow.

Went to the local Traeger dealer and walked out with the Lil Texas Elite. This thing has 142 sq inches less in cooking space compared to the Chargriller and was a little more than $300 more with the rebate. But it made one hell of a steak.

I put two kc strips on it, 25 minutes later and we had some damn good steaks.

Dunit35 08-21-2013 06:18 PM

Cooked baby backs on the traeger today. They were decently tender and had a good spice to them. I want more flavor though. I went with:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1tbs black pepper
1 tbs salt
1 tbs chili pepper
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs onion powder
1 tps cayanne pepper

Cooked at 225-240 for 2 hrs, spraying apple juice/apple cider vinegar occasionally. I removed and wrapped for an hour adding apple juice and a bit more rub prior to wrapping. I removed foil, added a bit more rub and some honey. They needed more of a sweet flavor to it.

crispystl 08-21-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9901085)
There might be some websites out there with mods for that smoker to improve temp control.

This^^^ I modded the shit out of the Brinkman Smoke n Grill and it holds a really solid temp now. One of the best and easiest things you can do is remove the legs from the damn thing.

crispystl 08-21-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 9904833)
Cooked baby backs on the traeger today. They were decently tender and had a good spice to them. I want more flavor though. I went with:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1tbs black pepper
1 tbs salt
1 tbs chili pepper
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs onion powder
1 tps cayanne pepper

Cooked at 225-240 for 2 hrs, spraying apple juice/apple cider vinegar occasionally. I removed and wrapped for an hour adding apple juice and a bit more rub prior to wrapping. I removed foil, added a bit more rub and some honey. They needed more of a sweet flavor to it.

i'm no pro at all and don't claim to be but I prefer closer to 200 for longer time.

lewdog 08-29-2013 06:42 PM

I'm going to smoke a pork butt on Saturday in my Charcoal vertical smoker.

Any recommendations for tips? Should I brine it over night? Give me your best ideas!

KCUnited 08-29-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9924223)
I'm going to smoke a pork butt on Saturday in my Charcoal vertical smoker.

Any recommendations for tips? Should I brine it over night? Give me your best ideas!

I've never brined a butt, there's plenty of moisture in there. I trim the fat cap and any other unsightly fat pockets. I salt mine and let it sit to build a pellicle and then rub it (I use a saltless rub because I've already salted the meat), but you can use mustard or oil to help adhere your rub. Throw it on around 225-250. I flip mine around 8 hours and start to baste it with an apple juice/vinegar/rub mix and pull off around 190. Let it rest for 30 mins to a couple hours depending on what the plan is. Good luck, man. Enjoy yourself.

jspchief 08-29-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9924316)
I've never brined a butt, there's plenty of moisture in there. I trim the fat cap and any other unsightly fat pockets. I salt mine and let it sit to build a pellicle and then rub it (I use a saltless rub because I've already salted the meat), but you can use mustard or oil to help adhere your rub. Throw it on around 225-250. I flip mine around 8 hours and start to baste it with an apple juice/vinegar/rub mix and pull off around 190. Let it rest for 30 mins to a couple hours depending on what the plan is. Good luck, man. Enjoy yourself.

Yep. 225 until 190 internal temp. It will stall around 170 internal temp, but be patient. I like a rub heavy on salt and sugar because I feel it gives the best bark.

I take mine off and wrap tightly in foil to rest at least an hour. Wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler.

lewdog 09-04-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9924316)

I actually am going to cook it all Saturday, leave it whole/refrigerate and reheat whole in the oven the next day at my buddy's house. Not the best scenario but only way it is going to work for me.

What temp to re-heat it at in the oven and do I need it to get back to 190 degrees again?

/n00b questions

KCUnited 09-04-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9938506)
I actually am going to cook it all Saturday, leave it whole/refrigerate and reheat whole in the oven the next day at my buddy's house. Not the best scenario but only way it is going to work for me.

What temp to re-heat it at in the oven and do I need it to get back to 190 degrees again?

/n00b questions

You may as well be speaking Cantonese, homie. I've never tried reheating a whole butt in the oven. I'd probably pull the bone when it comes off the smoker though. You may google it. Good luck.

lewdog 09-04-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9938551)
You may as well be speaking Cantonese, homie. I've never tried reheating a whole butt in the oven. I'd probably pull the bone when it comes off the smoker though. You may google it. Good luck.

Seems like people recommend a cool down, pull it, then store in fridge over night. Keep juices and poor over pulled pork with some apple juice with reheating in the oven at the party. Not ideal but it should be ok. These people are just from Phoenix. :D

FlaChief58 09-21-2013 08:08 AM

I need a little advise from the BBQ gods here :hail:. Tomorrow is my Mom's birthday and I'm planning on smoking a point cut corned beef brisket for the 1st time. I'm just curious if anyone has ever tried this and if you do anything different than a normal brisket.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

lewdog 10-12-2013 03:04 PM

I'm going to smoke a few pork butts for a work party on Tuesday. How many lbs of pork should I pick up to feed about 20 people for low-medium portion size since a lot of other food will be present as well?

HonestChieffan 10-12-2013 04:22 PM

15 pounds after cooking. Likely 3 8 pound butts. Im doing three on monday. On smoker at midnight at 240. Off about 10 am. Into cooler then pull and back on smoker in pans till serving time

2 8 pounders wont feed that many. Left overs are good