ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trailer for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel leaked (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252986)

Hammock Parties 06-10-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8671194)
Would you really get that close and try to interact when just moments earlier you were frightened with every noise and shadow?

Because idiots in horror sci fi do dumb things to get killed.

I mean, it's not like the characters in Alien didn't do dumb things that ended up getting them killed.

Bowser 06-10-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

I enjoyed it, but can't argue much with your criticisms. That's what held me back from really loving it, despite my desire to do just that. Another one : the biologist reaction when that snake-like creature reared up in front of him. He reacts as if it's friendly, but it looked like a cobra. Would you really get that close and try to interact when just moments earlier you were frightened with every noise and shadow?

Yeah, that one got me, too. The other was when the Captain of Prometheus just landed on the conclusion that the planet was nothing more than a biological warfare test site, despite not leaving the ship but once.

Buck 06-10-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 8671137)
Spoiler!

If there was truly only one Engineer left on this planet, then I think that means the storm was natural.

Frazod 06-10-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

I enjoyed it, but can't argue much with your criticisms. That's what held me back from really loving it, despite my desire to do just that. Another one : the biologist reaction when that snake-like creature reared up in front of him. He reacts as if it's friendly, but it looked like a cobra. Would you really get that close and try to interact when just moments earlier you were frightened with every noise and shadow?

Yeah, that was pretty lame. That character reminded me of the typical horror movie bimbo who goes down into the basement by herself.

Hammock Parties 06-10-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8671238)
Yeah, that was pretty lame. That character reminded me of the typical horror movie bimbo who goes down into the basement by herself.

Every character in the movie was an idiot, apart from the Android.

siberian khatru 06-10-2012 03:51 PM

Just got back from seeing it. Liked it a lot, but ... it was far from great, for many reasons keg listed.

Visually outstanding -- one of the best FX films I've ever seen. The 3D was terrific and worth the money (for a change). It also stimulated a lot of discussion between me and my son about the different strands of DNA in humans, aliens and xenomorphs.

However, I felt like the movie needed to be 30 minutes longer to slow down and fill in a lot of backstory on the characters, to let them develop and explain their later actions -- especially, I felt, with the captain and Vickers. I thought Guy Pearce as Weyland was a complete waste. Anybody could've played that role.

I wonder how much was left on the editing room floor. Perhaps it would benefit from a nice director's cut blu-ray. Or maybe it was just poorly written.

siberian khatru 06-10-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

This too.

Frazod 06-10-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 8671259)
Every character in the movie was an idiot, apart from the Android.

To a certain extent, yes. But that is typical of horror movies. If people in horror movies weren't stupid, they generally wouldn't die.

Sure-Oz 06-10-2012 04:15 PM

Got back...hope the sequel is direct from this flick and maybe moves forward to show how alien happend

the Talking Can 06-10-2012 04:48 PM

here's a good article, a guy walks through all the recurring symbols in the movie...really helped me make sense of it after the fact.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Quote:

Prometheus contains such a huge amount of mythic resonance that it effectively obscures a more conventional plot. I'd like to draw your attention to the use of motifs and callbacks in the film that not only enrich it, but offer possible hints as to what was going on in otherwise confusing scenes

I thought it was excellent, even with all the ?'s and wtf moments...the world was so realized I was happy just to witness/experience it. Worth the 3D. Worth my $$.

And Fassbender may be the best male actor working right now.

siberian khatru 06-10-2012 05:16 PM

The podcast (39 minutes!) at this link raised a lot of the issues I had with the film:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/m...reviewed_.html

JD10367 06-10-2012 09:41 PM

Someone told me Weyland company logos pop up in "Firefly". Apparently after working on "Alien: Resurrection" Whedon decided to hint that they're set in the same universe.

Gravedigger 06-10-2012 09:51 PM

Why didn't the snakes come up on the hounds sensors? I have other questions about the movie but this one has been bugging me.

Hammock Parties 06-10-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8671511)
I thought it was excellent, even with all the ?'s and wtf moments...the world was so realized I was happy just to witness/experience it. Worth the 3D. Worth my $$.

Yes, this.

This is what I love about Ridley Scott...his movies always engage your brain and are great for discussion after the credits end.

He's 74 tho. Hope he lives long enough to make at least one more. :(

Anyong Bluth 06-10-2012 10:41 PM

undefined

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

okcchief 06-10-2012 10:55 PM

Saw this today in IMAX 3D.

Visually it was out ****ing standing.

Story wise I have most of the same criticisms listed in the thread already. It just kind of felt incomplete and the characters seemed kind of bland for the most part.

I thought it was worth my time, but I didn't like it as much as I expected.

Hammock Parties 06-11-2012 12:54 AM

LMAO

Quote:

It's science. That's why Prometheus is insulting because it treats material from a legitimate sci-fi film (Alien) as if it was a drama or action movie. Otherwise, the aliens in film are just gods and monsters with a sci-fi explanation.
Quote:

The aliens in Alien are monsters with a sci-fi explanation, they're functionally-immortal acid-blooded space goblins that can grow to six feet in a day without food and have successful reproductive sex with humans on an interstellar tugboat. Jesus christ, dude.

keg in kc 06-11-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8671763)
Someone told me Weyland company logos pop up in "Firefly". Apparently after working on "Alien: Resurrection" Whedon decided to hint that they're set in the same universe.

Yeah, it's in the pilot.

http://blastr.com/firefly-weyland-yutani.jpg

keg in kc 06-11-2012 04:05 AM

2nd to Madagascar 3 as expected, but $50 million for a "smart" r-rated science fiction blockbuster? Can't complain about that...

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8671511)
here's a good article, a guy walks through all the recurring symbols in the movie...really helped me make sense of it after the fact.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

That was a terrific piece. Definitely opened my eyes ... got to watch that movie again.

Aspengc8 06-11-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8671994)
That was a terrific piece. Definitely opened my eyes ... got to watch that movie again.

It was a great read.

Spoiler!

keg in kc 06-11-2012 09:04 AM

It read to me like somebody trying really hard to fit their own beliefs into the symbology of the film.

In any case, it's certainly interesting to discuss, and that is the strength of the movie, meaning the ideas and what kinds of things are hidden under the surface. I have some ideas I might get into later.

But at the end of the day, I just can't get past the structural problems with the movie itself. It's still a good movie, but a lot of nonsense that should've never made it past the draft stage kept it from being a great one.

Huffmeister 06-11-2012 11:14 AM

Not sure if we're still doing spoilers, so I'm using them just in case...

Spoiler!

Fassbender was fantastic, but overall I thought the movie was only 'good'.

Oh, and one more thing...
Spoiler!

jiveturkey 06-11-2012 12:50 PM

Spoiler!

Frazod 06-11-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8672592)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

keg in kc 06-11-2012 02:46 PM

Spoiler!

the Talking Can 06-11-2012 02:49 PM

Spoiler!

DMAC 06-11-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8672830)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

L.A. Chieffan 06-11-2012 03:12 PM

Really good stuff in here with the screenwriter. Spoilers

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...damon-lindelof

Fire Me Boy! 06-11-2012 03:15 PM

Jesus. It's been out for three days wide release and it's already available on Amazon for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Prometheus-Blu...HZZCXNZN17RF83

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8672819)
Spoiler!

I was thinking replicant.

keg in kc 06-11-2012 03:36 PM

Yeah, I was, too, although I'm still not sure how much the Blade Runner and Alien universes line up

Frazod 06-11-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8672925)
Yeah, I was, too, although I'm still not sure how much the Blade Runner and Alien universes line up

I don't see any connection beyond the director. Replicants are flesh and blood. Androids only appear human.

Spoiler!

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8672925)

I don't think they do, not if you go by the Weyland Corp. timeline on its webpage.

But who said they had to be Tyrell replicants?

keg in kc 06-11-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8672949)
I don't see any connection beyond the director. Replicants are flesh and blood. Androids only appear human.

All I know is that there's long been ongoing debate on whether the two franchises happen in the same fictional universe. I don't have an answer either way.

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8672949)

Spoiler!

I think that is the most common-sense explanation -- Occam's Razor, perhaps. But if you're looking for a twist, I think that would be a nice one. And how better to prove how good the engineering is than to bed a human?

Are you an android?
(Pause) No.

Meaning: No, I'm not a machine ... but I'm not really human either. Here, let's have sex, you won't notice the difference.

keg in kc 06-11-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8672952)
I don't think they do, not if you go by the Weyland Corp. timeline on its webpage.

Yeah, I saw that a few days ago.
Quote:

But who said they had to be Tyrell replicants?
Yep.

There were certainly some allusions to it (i.e her being artificial in some way). Her demeanor. Which could just be her demeanor. The way she challenged David not just verbally but physically. Which could just be because she was who she was. The way the surgical unit only had data on males. Which could just be because the only individual important enough to warrant the expenditure was male.

Intentionally vague I think...

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 03:59 PM

BTW, all this confirms to me that Ridley Scott succeeded on two levels: visually, and he's got us talking about all the themes and stuff.

Still think the movie lacked in character development and plotting, but it's still a win for me.

keg in kc 06-11-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8672962)
BTW, all this confirms to me that Ridley Scott succeeded on two levels: visually, and he's got us talking about all the themes and stuff.

Still think the movie lacked in character development and plotting, but it's still a win for me.

Agree on both counts.

This movie was a solid double off the wall. Hopefully the sequel's the home run.

keg in kc 06-11-2012 04:03 PM

I have a feeling this will probably have an impact on some of my complaints about the movie:
Quote:

COLLIDER: You’re going to do an extended cut on the Blu-ray/DVD. Is it a lot longer?

SCOTT: Twenty minutes.

COLLIDER: So there’s, like, twenty minutes that will be added back in for a longer version?

SCOTT: Maybe. But I’m so happy with this engine, the way it is right now. I think it’s fine. I think it works. It can go in a section where, if you really want to tap in, look at the menu. To see how things are long, and it’s too long. Dramatically, I’m about putting bums on seats. For me to separate my idea of commerce from art—I’d be a fool. You can’t do that. I wouldn’t be allowed to do the films I do. So I’m very user friendly as far as the studios are concerned. To a certain extent, I’m a businessman. I’m aware that’s what I have to do. It’s my job. To say, “Screw the audience.” You can’t do that. “Am I communicating?” is the question. Am I communicating? Because if I’m not, I need to address it.

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8672969)
I have a feeling this will probably have an impact on some of my complaints about the movie:

That makes me hopeful. I mentioned earlier that I wish the movie had been 30 minutes longer and fleshed out more characters, explained their later motivations. I hoped they had shot stuff and cut it out, not that the script was inherently deficient.

We'll see.

Hammock Parties 06-11-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8672962)

Yeah it's crazy.

I can't stop reading stuff.

I'm looking forward to the bluray coming out so I can pirate it and analyze the footage. Every frame had so much interesting stuff in it.

QuikSsurfer 06-11-2012 05:44 PM

Just finished watching --- fantastic!!

So why do you guys think
Spoiler!

And the best looking digitally shot film I've seen yet.

KevB 06-11-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8672958)
I think that is the most common-sense explanation -- Occam's Razor, perhaps. But if you're looking for a twist, I think that would be a nice one. And how better to prove how good the engineering is than to bed a human?

Are you an android?
(Pause) No.

Meaning: No, I'm not a machine ... but I'm not really human either. Here, let's have sex, you won't notice the difference.

And, by the way, a brilliant play by the captain.

Frazod 06-11-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8672958)

Are you an android?
(Pause) No.

Spoiler!

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8673149)
Spoiler!

You're probably right. Like I said, Occam's Razor.

Two things, though:

1. There might be a deleted scene that reinforces the replicant angle and ties in with something that happened later in the movie.

2. It sets up something for a sequel.

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 06:22 PM

frazod, I also found this on the intrawebs:

Spoiler!

Frazod 06-11-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8673209)
frazod, I also found this on the intrawebs:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

007 06-11-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8673344)
Spoiler!

So. One way or another, he created her, right?

Hammock Parties 06-11-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8673174)
You're probably right. Like I said, Occam's Razor.

Two things, though:

1. There might be a deleted scene that reinforces the replicant angle and ties in with something that happened later in the movie.

2. It sets up something for a sequel.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Ridley Scott is ****ing crazy.

I love the guy. He engineered a generation of nerds.

Frazod 06-11-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8673354)
So. One way or another, he created her, right?

Spoiler!

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8673344)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Frazod 06-11-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8673377)
Spoiler!

Sorry, that's just too much of a stretch.

L.A. Chieffan 06-11-2012 07:17 PM

Why was the pod configured for a male? I was wondering that when it happened.

QuikSsurfer 06-11-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8673395)
Why was the pod configured for a male? I was wondering that when it happened.

It was for Peter Weyland.

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8673389)
Sorry, that's just too much of a stretch.

Spoiler!

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 09:22 PM

More speculation at http://www.memphisflyer.com/SingAllK...etheus-part-ii (p.s. I'm not sure I buy all of his last paragraph):

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 06-11-2012 09:25 PM

LMAO

Lindelof is the Grima Wormtongue to Ridley Scott's Theoden.

siberian khatru 06-11-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 8673676)
LMAO

Lindelof is the Grima Wormtongue to Ridley Scott's Theoden.

ROFL

bowener 06-12-2012 01:19 AM

Saw this tonight.
Massive disappointment. I cannot recommend this to anyone that I know. It just fell flat on its massive and mostly empty face.

beach tribe 06-12-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 8158356)
Full plot synopsis.

Spoiler!

I haven't seen the movie, but what you guys are talking about doesn't really fall in line with the synopsis does it?
All the talk about Vickers origins and what not. Was she not created in a lab by the engineers? Does she turn into a uhhhh, star Beast?lol

Hammock Parties 06-12-2012 01:54 AM

synopsis is clearly BS

Sure-Oz 06-12-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 8673933)
Saw this tonight.
Massive disappointment. I cannot recommend this to anyone that I know. It just fell flat on its massive and mostly empty face.

Lack of character development and jumping right into the planet kinda turned it off a bit for me. Still enjoyed it mostly. Still left alot of questions. Maybe if a part 2 is made then it makes it better

Anyong Bluth 06-12-2012 08:59 AM

Love it or hate it, it has more discussion being bandied about on the internet than any other movie in a LONG LONG time...

Another person's take on some points from the film...

http://www.lexwerks.com/article/on-p...chopped-liver/

[QUOTE] The Lexwerks
On Prometheus and Chopped Liver

June 11, 2012
This post is going to contain spoilers for Prometheus. *If you’ve not seen Prometheus*and you liked Alien*and Blade Runner, then you probably shouldn’t read further — you’ll be happier if you see the spectacle and then come back for the exposition. *If you thought Blade Runner*was, frankly, kind of dumb… then I’m afraid the Alien*lineage isn’t going to make up for a whole lot of the character behavior in Prometheus. *Except for Michael Fassbender, who plays the artificial person far, far too perfectly.
But now that you’ve seen it (if you’re going to), I’m sending you off to read some other guy’s mythological analysis of it. *He is “Cavalorn,” his post is “Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About,” and it is 100% spoiler and spot-on enough that I’m glad he covered so much of it so I don’t have to. *Really, he did an amazing job and you should go read it… *But he did miss a few things and that’s what I’m going to write about.
My spoiling begins… now.
Vickers is a replicant. *Flat out is. *Her only act of lust was to maintain her cover as a human in the same way David wore his environment suit. *(And Ridley Scott is the Blade Runner guy, remember?) *But Meredith’s trick is that she was too perfect, too equal to her creator, so she got shunted (to the board room) and ignored (but not destroyed) to make room for the more servile creation. *This was the running motif of Data and Lore in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but is also the motif of Adam, Lilith, and Eve. *But that’s not mythological enough, so let’s call up Paradise Lost*and see that Lucifer gets pushed aside when Jesus is set up to mediate to God. *Like them, Vickers feels bitterness at her creator for being created first but appreciated less. *This is not, however, a precise comparison: what was that nonsense about creating life versus creating machines? *Peter Weyland’s illusions of creating life effectively make him not a god, but rather Satan — who is good with illusions that invite idolatry but incapable of creating, certainly not creating life per se. *After Satan’s fall (back in Paradise Lost) he did have a pseudo-offspring of Sin, female, that was born from his head (intellect?)*to add another mythological layer to the artificiality of Ms. Vicker’s life.
[All references to Paradise Lost*are being cribbed from David Hawkes' The Faust Myth*in case you're wondering how I'm pulling this feat of recall. *If you've read this book and it suddenly occurs to you that the recordings of the Engineers, and especially the super-pretty stellar navigation, are performative signs indicative of their Satanic power... bonus points to you! -- but I don't think that was what Ridley Scott had in mind as it contrasts poorly with the bigger self-sacrifice motif.]
Let’s spend more time on Peter Weyland, specifically his sneakiness. *Now Cavalorn says roughly that “the atmosphere in the cylinder chamber was reacting to the human psyche” which is nonsense from the perspective of the gene-based Alien-lore perspective but I can’t say it’s wrong here at a symbolic, mythological level. *And Weyland’s presence actually supports it at the symbolic level. *The noble scientists aren’t here to be corrupting and evil and stuff, but the truth is that they can’t help it: they brought it with them. *That Weyland claimed in the video recording to be dead — thus hypothetically leaving the scientists unshackled and in the clear to pursue their beliefs (and that’s an odd phrase) — underscores the corruption bound into the pursuit. *They thought they were clear of its taint, but they weren’t. *We’re reminded of it by the trillion-dollar conversation, and again by Fifield, but only Weyland is big enough to taint the whole thing. *But this is symbolic, so it is not, however, a problem unique to Peter Weyland: *when Shaw continues her quest, she takes her faith (the cross pendant) and her techno-idolatry (David’s talking head) with her, with the latter ensuring her continued failure.
What exactly this means to Ridley Scott, Blade Runner guy, I cannot readily say. *I personally find it odd that his characters are going backwards. *Perhaps I’ve been reading too much Jung to sympathize with their quest. *But look at them: Shaw, Weyland, Holloway, and Roy Batty all think they’ve got a personal creator who has The Answers if only they can find said creator to pose questions to to him/her/it. *And while Roy’s quest makes some sense because he knows he’s a replicant, the Prometheus*mission makes rather less sense because they’re evolved humans — a point that gets lost when they consider the Engineers. *A mortal Terran knows their evolutionary lineage, but seems to regard the mortal-as-demonstrated Engineer with human DNA as having popped up ex nihilo*to create those very special people we call Liz and Pete and Chuck. *This makes sense if Peter is Lucifer trying to confront God, but the larger tragedy of the film is that they didn’t find God, they found Some Guy — a lone, anonymous, anger-management-impaired survivor out of a whole crew of Some Guys. *Some Guys may have a history as boring as the rest of us or as freaky as the Greek pantheon — really, read up on Saturn — but we don’t even begin to question this until the film is over. *Put simply, the explorer’s inability to address the mythology unfolding before them like a xenomorph egg made me want to slap facehuggers on the lot of them. *That people who got a trillion dollar stellar expedition for studying cave paintings wouldn’t spend an hour racking their brains for which ancient mythologies best described what they actually found (and I’m totally going with Nephilim from Genesis 6:4) showed how two-dimensional the characters really were.
The final interesting thing* is that the personal quest that these characters go on, they ostensibly claim to be going on for the benefit of the species. *To answer the great questions of the species, they spend over two years utterly disconnected from the species, putting a really huge number of kilometers between them and Earth. *And how many known-humans were in the film that weren’t on board the Prometheus? *I’m remembering 2 at the dig site. *While this demographic sample isn’t unusual for an Alien*film, or any horror film, it does seem odd to pursue a personal quest in the name of a species that isn’t really represented within the main characters’ field of vision. *Note that this isn’t the same as saving a species that won’t ever know it was saved, as the captain does. *This isn’t just sacrifice, this is the unsung sacrifice that echoes the Babylon 5*episode “Comes an Inquisitor” — and if you noticed the black Captain Janek showing his social affiliations with the Christmas tree, antique squeeze-box, Weyland Corp.-emblazoned shirt, et cetera, it becomes clear that Janek is sacrificing his temporal life to save his ongoing roots, especially contrasted with the sterilized-to-selfishness white-and-blonde Vickers (replicant status notwithstanding). *And yet. *When we consider that they thought they’d left the human condition*behind them so that it wouldn’t corrupt the purity of the answers they genuinely wanted for themselves, it makes perfect sense as to why they’d want to be leaving the species behind. *It’s the people who don’t wholly leave their species behind that are willing to make the sacrifice necessary to save it. *The point, however, appears to be this: if you go looking for truth — whether pilot or scientist — please be honest with yourself and don’t expect to take it home with you.
Overall, I’m glad I watched Prometheus*once but I don’t think I’ll be watching it again.
* Because I’m not touching the — bluntly, backwards — notion of “Space Jesus” or any anti-Catholic implications of Mr. Weyland’s name being “Peter” that could follow from that; No.
[QUOTE\]

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

L.A. Chieffan 06-12-2012 10:56 AM

If Vickers was a replicant then why was she so frantically trying to put on the space suit at the end? Do replicants breathe oxygen and react just like humans? I forgot

Fire Me Boy! 06-12-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8674513)
If Vickers was a replicant then why was she so frantically trying to put on the space suit at the end? Do replicants breathe oxygen and react just like humans? I forgot

I think the point is, she may not know she's a replicant.

Fish 06-12-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 8674240)
Love it or hate it, it has more discussion being bandied about on the internet than any other movie in a LONG LONG time...

Another person's take on some points from the film...

Some people are putting way way too much thought into this...

Frazod 06-12-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8674513)

Yes. Flesh and blood, everything is human.

But I still don't buy it.

Sure-Oz 06-12-2012 11:01 AM

Ridleys got everyone trying to figure this shit out

Frazod 06-12-2012 11:03 AM

I also never bought into the idea that Deckard was a replicant, either.

Hammock Parties 06-12-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8674524)
Some people are putting way way too much thought into this...

It's a really interesting film.

It leaves you wanting more of the same universe for sure...

I mean even though Robin Hood had a lot of issues...I really want Scott to make the sequel.

Frazod 06-12-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 8674541)
It's a really interesting film.

It leaves you wanting more of the same universe for sure...

I mean even though Robin Hood had a lot of issues...I really want Scott to make the sequel.

I quit watching that about a third of the way through. I just had no interest in it at all.

Hammock Parties 06-12-2012 11:08 AM

Holy shit, I just realized something.

Janek says "Hey Vickers, you a robot?

Ridley totally spoiled it. Bitch is a replicant.

RIDLEY TOTALLY PUT THAT LINE IN THERE TO TELL THE NERDS WHAT'S UP

Bowser 06-12-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 8674551)
Holy shit, I just realized something.

Janek says "Hey Vickers, you a robot?

Ridley totally spoiled it. Bitch is a replicant.

RIDLEY TOTALLY PUT THAT LINE IN THERE TO TELL THE NERDS WHAT'S UP

AND THEN THE ZAPRUDER FILM COINCIDES WITH WHAT THE MAYANS WROTE AND STONEHENGE WAS IN THE RIGHT POSITION....

LMAO

I think Scott has stumbled on to a subject that resonates very well with people in general, hence all the speculation. Honestly, it would be awesome if he really is trying to tie all of his legacies together in such a manner, but I just don't know if that was the end game. Hopefully so, but I'll wait for conformation. :D

Hammock Parties 06-12-2012 11:25 AM

Ridley KNEW people would start talking about Replicants. HE KNEW IT. He put that line in there as a wink and a nod. I SEE IT SO CLEARLY WITH MY INNER EYE.

SHIT, do you remember the foreshadowing from The Matrix?

"10 straight hours...he's a machine."

RIDLEY SCOTT IS AWESOME

Sure-Oz 06-12-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 8674599)
Ridley KNEW people would start talking about Replicants. HE KNEW IT. He put that line in there as a wink and a nod. I SEE IT SO CLEARLY WITH MY INNER EYE.

SHIT, do you remember the foreshadowing from The Matrix?

"10 straight hours...he's a machine."

RIDLEY SCOTT IS AWESOME

I can see this now after seeing it twice. She had a medical bay thing configured in HER quarters for a male only (of course for weyland) but why not her? Also when she got out of the sleeping chamber she never hurled or got sick.

keg in kc 06-12-2012 11:35 AM

I had no idea there was a post credits teaser image. I left right away. Apparently leads to http://whatis101112.com/ which includes the following:

<object id="flashObj" width="600" height="450" classid="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1683348603001&playerID=1567305138001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABJMwI9vE~,BuvIGjNuvMaAmnGHBEkV ngLdZh9unnb6&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1683348603001&playerID=1567305138001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABJMwI9vE~,BuvIGjNuvMaAmnGH BEkVngLdZh9unnb6&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="600" height="450" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

siberian khatru 06-12-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8674632)
I had no idea there was a post credits teaser image. I left right away. Apparently leads to http://whatis101112.com/ which includes the following:

<object id="flashObj" width="600" height="450" classid="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1683348603001&playerID=1567305138001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABJMwI9vE~,BuvIGjNuvMaAmnGHBEkV ngLdZh9unnb6&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1683348603001&playerID=1567305138001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABJMwI9vE~,BuvIGjNuvMaAmnGH BEkVngLdZh9unnb6&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="600" height="450" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

I could swear I stayed to the very end of the credits, and I didn't see that. I did catch the Weyland 10/11/12 deal, though.

Fire Me Boy! 06-12-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8674535)
I also never bought into the idea that Deckard was a replicant, either.

Ridley says he is...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_7o0rvVxU0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 06-12-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8674629)
Also when she got out of the sleeping chamber she never hurled or got sick.

OMFG :hail: