ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KC signs Gaither (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248361)

Brock 08-12-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 7819582)
Nah, I think I got it.

It doesn't look like it.

ShowtimeSBMVP 08-12-2011 12:01 PM

11. Kansas City Chiefs (4)

LT: Branden Albert
LG: +Ryan Lilja
C: Casey Wiegmann
RG: *Jon Asamoah
RT: Barry Richardson

Thursday's acquisition of Jared Gaither was a high-upside, low-rent move. Still just 25 years old, Jonathan Ogden's onetime heir apparent in Baltimore could emerge as an in-season starter if healthy. Richardson is the group's weak link and would-be odd man out. New starter Asamoah replaces Brian Waters and projects as an instant impact run blocker. Though Albert has struggled with consistency, he dominates on the ground and is only 26. The primary backups are Gaither, second-round G/C Rodney Hudson, and right tackle-only Ryan O'Callaghan (20 career starts).

patteeu 08-12-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 7819099)
The guy couldn't pass a physical with the Raiders,...

Where did you get this information? Are we sure it's not just speculation? We know that Gaither was talking with the Raiders and that they failed to come to terms, but has either side actually explained why?

Chris Meck 08-12-2011 02:45 PM

This is such a no brainer I can't imagine how anyone could fault this signing. I mean really.

milkman 08-12-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedThat (Post 7818193)
The only issue I could see is RT. Richardson will struggle and then O'Callaghan could come in.

Hell, why don't we just eliminate the RT position.

O'Callagahn has anvils for shoes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 7819157)
Albert is improving alright. He gave up 7.5 sacks his second year in this system, compared to 9 his first year under Haley. 1.5 sack improvement in a year when we played some of the worst teams in the league, with jack for pass rushers. Those 1.5 less sacks allowed probably had more to do with QB play than anything. Just think, if Zorn can improve Cassel's awareness like he trying to do, he may only give up 6 this year.

LT's main job is to protect the most important player on the team. Albert can run block like a boss, but he can't protect the QB.

Matt Cassel was sacked in one season with the Patriots more than Brady was sacked in the season before and after combined.

It's not always the O-Line's fault that a QB gets sacked.

Albert still needs to improve, no question.

But the fact is, he isn't quite as bad as some portray him to be

BossChief 08-12-2011 10:01 PM

Lets not ignore a problem just because we like a certain player though, either. (not saying you are)

Albert may not be as bad as some think he is, but for a 1st round left tackle going into his 4th year, he isnt anything special, either.

Hopefully, this year he starts to put it all together and takes that crucial next step...if he doesnt, lets hope Gaither can.

beach tribe 08-12-2011 11:09 PM

Can someone really tell me what the actual status of this guy is?

Is he injured? Recovering from injury? Recovered? What?

Do we know?

royr17 08-13-2011 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7822141)
Lets not ignore a problem just because we like a certain player though, either. (not saying you are)

Albert may not be as bad as some think he is, but for a 1st round left tackle going into his 4th year, he isnt anything special, either.

Hopefully, this year he starts to put it all together and takes that crucial next step...if he doesnt, lets hope Gaither can.

As the way I see it, Albert just isnt a LT in the nfl period, he'd be better suited at RT or G, so here to hoping Gaither can step in and be the LT and the chiefs draft a RT in the draft next year.

Albert struggles with speed rushers, yes, but Richardson is worse, hell Richardson could probably be a Guard and be good there.

Sure-Oz 08-14-2011 11:35 AM

lanceveeser Lance Veeser
Todd haley says jared gaither will start off at left tackle. Very interesting. #chiefs

BossChief 08-14-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 7824561)
lanceveeser Lance Veeser
Todd haley says jared gaither will start off at left tackle. Very interesting. #chiefs

I thought that would be the case.

I also wonder if we will bring in Nick Kaczur to compete at RT.

Any Patriots fans know anything about where he may be in recovery or why he hasnt signed with anyone?

If he is healthy, he would probably take the RT spot from BR if he doesnt take the next step in his young career. If we signed him, both OTs would have a legit fire lit under their asses.

royr17 08-14-2011 12:00 PM

The question is, is Gaither going to be the starting left tackle or the backup ? And if the starter, then where are they going to put Albert, on the right side ?

Sure-Oz 08-14-2011 12:03 PM

I'd assume for now backup albert and hopefully move him to RT and Gaither to LT

royr17 08-14-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 7824627)
I'd assume for now backup albert and hopefully move him to RT and Gaither to LT

Thats kinda what I had in mind, he right now is not familiar with the offense, and needs to learn their blocking scheme first.

ShowtimeSBMVP 08-14-2011 12:17 PM

Gaither will get his first look at left tackle
The Chiefs won't practice until later this afternoon and coach Todd Haley said when they do, the recently signed Jared Gaither will be working as a left tackle.

Gaither can eventually be moved to right tackle if the Chiefs see the need. But at least to start, he'll be on the left side.

Interesting move but not unexpected. In his two seasons as Baltimore's starting left tackle, Gaither was better than Branden Albert has been during his time as the Chiefs' starter at that position.

If Gaither works out the way the Chiefs hope, Albert should probably prepare to make the move over to the other side of the line himself.

Meantime, the Chiefs need to get Gaither into playing shape.

''This is a guy that's been out, hasn't been part of an off-season program, like everybody else,'' Haley said. ''He also missed a couple of weeks so even thought I believe he’s been working on his own, the number one deal for him is going to be the strength and conditioning aspect. He got a couple of good workouts over the weekend and we’re going to continue that.''

''First and foremost is trying to get him into a baseline physical condition that we feel like gives him a chance to succeed.''

Smed1065 08-14-2011 12:21 PM

Nice and quiet as always.

ChiefsCountry 08-14-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 7822480)
As the way I see it, Albert just isnt a LT in the nfl period, he'd be better suited at RT or G, so here to hoping Gaither can step in and be the LT and the chiefs draft a RT in the draft next year.

Albert struggles with speed rushers, yes, but Richardson is worse, hell Richardson could probably be a Guard and be good there.

Awesome thanks for making Albert a Pro Bowler.

tonyetony 08-14-2011 12:27 PM

If Albert doesn't step it up I don't think he'll beat Richardson out of the starting RT position.

BossChief 08-14-2011 12:43 PM

Albert would have the same problems on the right side IMO.

If Gaither takes over as the teams LT (which it seems may only be a matter of time unless the light switch for Albert goes on), he should be moved to guard and Lilja should back up both guard positions.

I would be shocked if we didnt add another RT sometime before the start ofthe regular season.