ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Class action lawsuit filed over Jackson County assessments (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349124)

BryanBusby 06-26-2023 09:49 AM

Please pay for our dumb ass downtown park. Royals baseball, catch the fever!

Skyy God 06-26-2023 11:20 AM

It’s a supply side issue.

Fewer new homes are being built due to labor and material shortages (and interest rate hikes). Rather than an expanding tax base, municipalities are jacking up rates for existing properties.

Same is going on in the personal property tax arena due to less cars/boats/etc. built.

https://www.ksdk.com/amp/article/mon...7-313282b6f89c

raybec 4 06-26-2023 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogieman (Post 16994458)
Funny you should mention that, I was just with an elderly man last Friday who just got raped on his property taxes in Brookside, and it turns out his garndfather was the one that took down Tom Pendergast (Milligan?) in the 1930s

Is this some sort of admission? Are we now bound by law/morality to report this?

Hammock Parties 06-26-2023 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy God (Post 16994903)
It’s a supply side issue.

Fewer new homes are being built due to labor and material shortages (and interest rate hikes). Rather than an expanding tax base, municipalities are jacking up rates for existing properties.

Same is going on in the personal property tax arena due to less cars/boats/etc. built.

https://www.ksdk.com/amp/article/mon...7-313282b6f89c

maybe if they'd stop paying for stupid shit like painting roads gay we wouldn't have this issue

penguinz 06-26-2023 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16994962)
maybe if they'd stop paying for stupid shit like painting roads gay we wouldn't have this issue

While stupid the road painting has nothing to do with with this.

Hammock Parties 06-26-2023 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16994990)
While stupid the road painting has nothing to do with with this.

there are thousands of stupid things the government spends money on

money they piss away so now they have to jack up property tax at obscene, illegal rates

Woogieman 06-26-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16994911)
Is this some sort of admission? Are we now bound by law/morality to report this?

I have to admit, that was inartfully worded. :doh!:

Eureka 06-26-2023 01:25 PM

Quote:

How does CA Prop. 13 work?
Under Proposition 13, property taxes are limited to one percent of the assessed value. Additional property taxes may be approved for schools or local projects, which can vary amongst communities and bring the tax rate higher than one percent.
I still pay an outrageous amount of property taxes compared to other states homeowners though. Maybe, the county should have something similar to California's prop 13?

DJ's left nut 06-26-2023 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16994002)
Yeah, same. House on the other side of the parkway (literally across the road) from us just sold in May for 110,000 less than the assessed value of our home, and the house at the end of that block sold for 140,000 less.

We were up 44 percent. Just nuts stuff.

The AVs aren't taking into account interest rates impacts on the housing market.

A FMV that's using sales from 9+ months ago is WAY out of date already. The cost of money has gone up a ton since then and it's reflecting in how much people will (or even CAN) pay for a home.

We were looking at upgrading for a few years but now I'm gonna hold onto that 2.25% mortgage like grim death and if need be I'll take out a HELOC for an addition or something.

I can't justify moving and tacking 5% onto my interest rate, even if I can afford more house than I presently have - it doesn't make a lick of financial sense.

And there are a lot of people like me out there.

dmahurin 06-26-2023 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16995109)
The AVs aren't taking into account interest rates impacts on the housing market.

A FMV that's using sales from 9+ months ago is WAY out of date already. The cost of money has gone up a ton since then and it's reflecting in how much people will (or even CAN) pay for a home.

We were looking at upgrading for a few years but now I'm gonna hold onto that 2.25% mortgage like grim death and if need be I'll take out a HELOC for an addition or something.

I can't justify moving and tacking 5% onto my interest rate, even if I can afford more house than I presently have - it doesn't make a lick of financial sense.

And there are a lot of people like me out there.

Same story here. I've got a 3.5% rate and the wife and I are refusing to move until it goes back down.

DJ's left nut 06-26-2023 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 16995124)
Same story here. I've got a 3.5% rate and the wife and I are refusing to move until it goes back down.

Just do the math and it's obscene.

Let's say you're looking at a nice 2nd home - nothing extravagant but certainly a fairly nice place. You have a growing family or something so you're looking to get a little bigger than your 'starter' house. That's gonna be probably $500K for maybe 3,500-4,000 sq ft if you're in a neighborhood you want to be in.

And lets say you're even able to put 20% down because of equity in your first home.

A 400K loan at my 2.25% is gonna cost me about $150K in interest over 30 years. The 'cost' of the house is gonna be $650K when factoring in your down payment.

If you make it 7% the interest you'll pay on that home almost quadruples on a 30 year note. Your total interest paid will be $560K. That house suddenly costs you 1.05 million.

And what these assessors are trying to do is use home values and sales from that late COVID era when interest was still low but supply was ass (and the money printers were going brrrrrrrr) so home prices were skyrocketing.

When you start to mess with the math here, 'upgrading' homes is almost a complete non-starter unless you can somehow pay cash for it.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people bought houses in the 80s when rates were briefly at 20% before settling into the 'manageable' low teens.

But at the risk of this turning to politics, I still think this NEEDED to be done. Home prices had gotten exorbitant precisely because free money led to a runaway market. My folks built their house in the early 90s when the market was still feeling the pinch from the 80s rates and hadn't fully absorbed those early 90s drops into the 5-6% range that we're climbing back into now. And man, comparing what they paid to what we would for a home like that now - it's night and day. At a point, the market needed a correction.

But you can't go rat-****ing people on their property taxes in the middle of it...

KCUnited 06-26-2023 02:00 PM

I obliterated my right leg 2 days before the photographer was coming over to shoot our home that was going on the market in early '22

My first thoughts were 1) That looks really horrific, I hope they're able to save the leg and I should probably prepare myself mentally for the worst and 2) interest rate hikes

I texted my wife from the back of the amber lamps that we were moving forward no matter what

I have more nightmares about the 1% jump we took

Mecca 06-26-2023 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16995138)
Just do the math and it's obscene.

Let's say you're looking at a nice 2nd home - nothing extravagant but certainly a fairly nice place. You have a growing family or something so you're looking to get a little bigger than your 'starter' house. That's gonna be probably $500K for maybe 3,500-4,000 sq ft if you're in a neighborhood you want to be in.

And lets say you're even able to put 20% down because of equity in your first home.

A 400K loan at my 2.25% is gonna cost me about $150K in interest over 30 years. The 'cost' of the house is gonna be $650K when factoring in your down payment.

If you make it 7% the interest you'll pay on that home almost quadruples on a 30 year note. Your total interest paid will be $560K. That house suddenly costs you 1.05 million.

And what these assessors are trying to do is use home values and sales from that late COVID era when interest was still low but supply was ass (and the money printers were going brrrrrrrr) so home prices were skyrocketing.

When you start to mess with the math here, 'upgrading' homes is almost a complete non-starter unless you can somehow pay cash for it.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people bought houses in the 80s when rates were briefly at 20% before settling into the 'manageable' low teens.

But at the risk of this turning to politics, I still think this NEEDED to be done. Home prices had gotten exorbitant precisely because free money led to a runaway market. My folks built their house in the early 90s when the market was still feeling the pinch from the 80s rates and hadn't fully absorbed those early 90s drops into the 5-6% range that we're climbing back into now. And man, comparing what they paid to what we would for a home like that now - it's night and day. At a point, the market needed a correction.

But you can't go rat-****ing people on their property taxes in the middle of it...

rat ****ing people is the name of the game right now..it's a cash grab that is intended to price some people out opening their homes and areas to corporations for either permanent rental or commercial property..

TambaBerry 06-26-2023 02:21 PM

Joco is the same way its criminal

BryanBusby 06-26-2023 05:25 PM

Spoiler: everyone is getting ****ed