ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Hawaii Vacation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322227)

splatbass 04-13-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cron912 (Post 14202495)
The USS Missouri isn't closed, the USS Arizona Memorial is/was. Apparently some issues/cracks were found in the memorial platform 1-2 years ago, and it's been closed since for repairs.

True, it is closed and probably will be for a while. But the visitor center is still open, and you can still take the boat out next to it, you just can't get off the boat onto the memorial itself. I can see it from my workplace. Also, the USS Blowfin, a WWII era submarine is also at the visitor center. You can walk through it if you aren't claustrophobic. It is very small. And as you said the USS Missouri, and also the Pacific Air Museum are both on Ford Island. You can take a bus from the Arizona Memorial Visitor Center - which was just renamed the Pearl Harbor Memorial I think because there are the other sites besides the Arizona to see now.

splatbass 04-13-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote (Post 14204730)
Concur. Good synopsis. I used to live there and have traveled there many times on business or vacation. When you live there after the first year adapting to watching Chiefs games early Sunday morning, “island fever” starts to set in. Maui is my preference. Was last in Pearl Harbor them Maui ( pacific missile test center) so business trip in December but it’s great.

Been here since 1992 and haven't had island fever yet. Not everyone gets it.

I agree about Maui, it is my favorite.

GloryDayz 04-13-2019 10:24 PM

Get off the plane, dive, dive some more, get back on the plane.

Coyote 04-14-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 14205553)
Been here since 1992 and haven't had island fever yet. Not everyone gets it.

I agree about Maui, it is my favorite.

Roger.

el borracho 04-16-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14205529)
Just got back a little while ago. Saw some sharks, my dive master got an octopus out of its hiding hole and got to hold him, and got up close and personal with some sea turtles as well. Great time just getting back into diving.

What scuba company did you dive with? And what dive sites did you visit?

1COOLDOG 04-16-2019 12:18 PM

Hanauma Bay, a horseshoe-shaped inlet on the southeast corner of Oahu, is great for snorkeling. After going through a short training session of how to snorkel in the bay without destroying its natural habitat (yes, the training is mandatory), you'll enjoy seeing a wide variety of plant and animal life.

ping2000 04-16-2019 06:28 PM

Eat Spam. Don't eat poi.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2a8c627010.jpg

splatbass 04-16-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1COOLDOG (Post 14209114)
Hanauma Bay, a horseshoe-shaped inlet on the southeast corner of Oahu, is great for snorkeling. After going through a short training session of how to snorkel in the bay without destroying its natural habitat (yes, the training is mandatory), you'll enjoy seeing a wide variety of plant and animal life.

But get there very early if you want to get parking.

GloryDayz 04-16-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1COOLDOG (Post 14209114)

That's not a bad thing actually. After our last two trip to Coz and watching divers bounce off the reef way too often, I wouldn't be surprised if they start0 making divers show they can control their buoyancy, angle, direction, and that they know where their tanks, fins, and hands are before they let them near a reef.

el borracho 04-16-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14209916)
That's not a bad thing actually. After our last two trip to Coz and watching divers bounce off the reef way too often, I wouldn't be surprised if they start0 making divers show they can control their buoyancy, angle, direction, and that they know where their tanks, fins, and hands are before they let them near a reef.

A check out dive is already the standard in Bonaire. Actually, a lot of companies will arrange the first dive in a more controlled site before going to more challenging sites. Makes sense... can’t have people destroying the reef and or hurting themselves while some dive shop is responsible.

GloryDayz 04-16-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 14209973)
A check out dive is already the standard in Bonaire. Actually, a lot of companies will arrange the first dive in a more controlled site before going to more challenging sites. Makes sense... can’t have people destroying the reef and or hurting themselves while some dive shop is responsible.

Totally agree, the reef is too important...

Boiled Chicken 04-17-2019 07:35 AM

Spend the money and do the helicopter tour - it’s the best way to see liquid earth. Check out Akaka Falls, too, while you’re there. Get you an authentic Hawaiian shirt, I think there is an Avanti store in the ki’s. Hank’s Haute Dog is a diners, drive ins and dives spot. RENT A CONVERTIBLE - best way to enjoy the islands.

North shore is a pain...go down the road to Haleiwa. I’d also go to Iolani Palace.

Have a blast - I was 25th ID at Schofield in the early 90s....many, many, many runs up KoleKole Pass