ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc -- Malls dying? Soon to be gone? - a question... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316727)

Bugeater 08-10-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13669245)
Wish I knew how to imbed videos. I took some footage of the inside of a mall I was at in March. Looked like a scene from a post apocalyptic movie. Took me about 5 minutes of walking around before I saw an open store or another human being

YouTube videos? Just click on "share" right below the video, then click "embed" on the pop-up, copy the code and paste it here.

srvy 08-10-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13669240)
I went to Burlington Coat Factory one time at the Great Mall. It smelled like shit. I think somebody shit on the coats. Then I saw Dane Cook walking around.

I went in a Burlington Coat Factory once. It smelled like molded clothes and moth balls.

Simply Red 08-10-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13669245)
Wish I knew how to imbed videos. I took some footage of the inside of a mall I was at in March. Looked like a scene from a post apocalyptic movie. Took me about 5 minutes of walking around before I saw an open store or another human being

PM one of us for details! Jeez man, why not?

Simply Red 08-10-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13669402)
I went in a Burlington Coat Factory once. It smelled like molded clothes and moth balls.

I know it catches a lot of shit - but in the early y2k's - Burlington ruled for men's clothes - they were one of the few that carried double RL at a discount.

Bugeater 08-10-2018 02:50 PM

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2925uth.jpg

tx4chiefs 08-10-2018 03:12 PM

I worked a second job in a mall. So the last time I stepped foot in a mall was May.

I did however see them dying off. All that visit are young kids and thieves.

Simply Red 08-10-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13669419)

th' ****?

Simply Red 08-10-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx4chiefs (Post 13669460)
I worked a second job in a mall. So the last time I stepped foot in a mall was May.

I did however see them dying off. All that visit are young kids and thieves.

LMAO

vailpass 08-10-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 13669385)
Enclosed malls seem to be nearing extinction, although there are certainly exceptions.

I just had lunch today with the CEO of a fashion company, and we were talking about this supposed death of retail due to online shopping. His answer was that 92% of retail transactions are still done face to face. 8% are done online.

That's a higher number than in the past, but a far cry from the doom and gloom for retail that many speak of.

Maybe within the specific fashion sector in which he operates those numbers are close to accurate. Overall, given the volume of ecommerce that now occurs, those numbers don’t appear to match reality.
Of course we’d need to see what is being defined by “retail”. Does that include groceries, automobiles for instance?

displacedinMN 08-10-2018 03:24 PM

I hate shopping. I only go when dragged by the women in my house.

Simply Red 08-10-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13669477)
Maybe within the specific fashion sector in which he operates those numbers are close to accurate. Overall, given the volume of ecommerce that now occurs, those numbers don’t appear to match reality.
Of course we’d need to see what is being defined by “retail”. Does that include groceries, automobiles for instance?

about to post basically this same thing - and who knew that doomy (of all people) dealt with fashion conglomerates?

Simply Red 08-10-2018 03:26 PM

very sexy doomy - do yo thing!

Rain Man 08-10-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13669477)

I've done a big study of shopping patterns in Colorado, and the proportion of shopping online more or less matched what doomy said. It's big in some sectors and non-existent in others, but when you look at everything people buy, it was less than 10 percent in the study that I did. That might have included restaurant spending, which isn't exactly online-eligible, but even so, online is smaller than most people think.

Kiimo 08-10-2018 03:31 PM

i work in Century City next to the tower used in Die Hard.

They just spent over a BILLION dollars renovating the mall here. They put in an Eataly.

It's thriving somehow.

chinaski 08-10-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13669503)
i work in Century City next to the tower used in Die Hard.

They just spent over a BILLION dollars renovating the mall here. They put in an Eataly.

It's thriving somehow.

I think the malls in SOCAL are different as many shops tend to cater to a higher end clientele. Jewelry stores are one example of this. Growing up in KC, I never saw a mall carry high end jewelry, like Rolex and Patek Phillipe watches...you would have to go the Plaza for stuff like that. SOCAL malls have stores with items like that available. Plus the SOCAL mall has a high concentration of 'better' eating places etc. Midwest malls had hotdogs, pizza and Orange Julius stands.