ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If money were no object, which major USA downtown would you pick to live? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315749)

BWillie 06-10-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD (Post 13588290)
Gang-bangers, smog, what? Have you not been to Los Angeles in the past 20 years?

I was in LA 6 months ago. A few times before that. Very overrated downtown scene compared to places like Manhattan, SF, Seattle, Chicago, IMO. For the 2nd biggest metro area in the country, I just expected more. Their skyline also kind of weak to look at. Probably Top 12, but again, 2nd biggest metro area in the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13588271)
DC is a shithole with horrible people and even worse traffic.

DC is boring IMO. I get it. Lots of old shit and historic places. But I really DGAF. That rule they have that no building can be over like 3 stories or something like that really hinders that place.

Rain Man 06-10-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13588385)
I was in LA 6 months ago. A few times before that. Very overrated downtown scene compared to places like Manhattan, SF, Seattle, Chicago, IMO. For the 2nd biggest metro area in the country, I just expected more. Their skyline also kind of weak to look at. Probably Top 12, but again, 2nd biggest metro area in the country.

LA is really a decentralized place. They're got a downtown, but it doesn't seem like it's a hub for anything.

KCUnited 06-10-2018 06:23 PM

Muh Land! Planet

HemiEd 06-10-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13588017)
If money were no object, the last place I'd live would be near any city. Look for me up in the mountains somewhere.

Just don't look too hard. :D

Exactly. I don't want to get close to a city, especially a big one. The Sams run to Springfield Friday made me break out in aids.

Had a deer walk right beside me mid-day yesterday when I was out washing my car.

Had a turtle walk into my shop today. :D

Years ago I was in NY at a Broadway show and there was a murder at the intermission in the lobby.

Pass on the big city, no thanks.

Iowanian 06-10-2018 06:39 PM

In the middle of 10,000 acres. The last place I would live would be in a major metro.

cdcox 06-10-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13588393)
Exactly. I don't want to get close to a city, especially a big one. The Sams run to Springfield Friday made me break out in aids.

Had a deer walk right beside me mid-day yesterday when I was out washing my car.

Years ago I was in NY at a Broadway show and there was a murder at the intermission in the lobby.

Ed, glad you are loving retirement. I'm curious what your typical day so are like? I'm about 10 years from retiring. I am worried about isolation, about how I will fill my days. Urban seems better for me but I'm curious how rural/lake people spend their time.

BWillie 06-10-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13588412)
Ed, glad you are loving retirement. I'm curious what your typical day so are like? I'm about 10 years from retiring. I am worried about isolation, about how I will fill my days. Urban seems better for me but I'm curious how rural/lake people spend their time.

I think they set up militias and count the amount of guns they have. Read "Guns and Ammo" magazine alot. Drink lots of crappy domestic beer.

SAUTO 06-10-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

I had a big ass turtle in the shop last week lol

GloucesterChief 06-10-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13588386)
LA is really a decentralized place. They're got a downtown, but it doesn't seem like it's a hub for anything.

I imagine it is like Houston. Downtown doesn't exactly have a lot of things. In Houston, you wouldn't live downtown. Mid Town, Westheimer, or Galleria is better.

Just like in DC downtown is kinda barren of things to do. Adams Morgan or Chinatown are much more happening.

Bugeater 06-10-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Since it's past his bedtime and I've visited his place a few times I'll answer for him. He has a huge out building where he tinkers with his cars, and has an old truck he's restoring. Some days he goes out on the lake on his pontoon boat. Some days he might go out on the fishing boat. Some days he plays golf. Some days he works in his wood shop. Some days he may just nap all day. In short, whatever the hell he feels like. He's living the dream.

Simply Red 06-10-2018 08:00 PM

I know this will WTF a few on here - but I'd probably live in Pittsburg Kansas if I could find a job that paid well enough. So if any of you could assist, PM me - I wouldn't mind getting out of Atlanta for a while.

LoneWolf 06-10-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13588451)
I know this will WTF a few on here - but I'd probably live in Pittsburg Kansas if I could find a job that paid well enough. So if any of you could assist, PM me - I wouldn't mind getting out of Atlanta for a while.

What do you do for a living?

HemiEd 06-10-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13588414)
I had a big ass turtle in the shop last week lol

Aren't they neat!? We have had some really large ones walking around our place but the one this morning looked pretty young and I put him out heading the right direction.

Quote:

See Bugeater's post below. :D

Actually, you do make compromises. Impulse shopping, nope.
Dining out? On occasion, but it turns into a pretty big deal. But after 18 years of the Chicago area rat race, I don't miss those things as much as enjoy "looking up when a car goes by."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13588445)
Since it's past his bedtime and I've visited his place a few times I'll answer for him. He has a huge out building where he tinkers with his cars, and has an old truck he's restoring. Some days he goes out on the lake on his pontoon boat. Some days he might go out on the fishing boat. Some days he plays golf. Some days he works in his wood shop. Some days he may just nap all day. In short, whatever the hell he feels like. He's living the dream.

904 now friend, so it is bed time and look forward to your next visit.

Simply Red 06-10-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13588458)
What do you do for a living?

I sell technology solutions - basically there are three elements to our solutions (which we manufacture) - Remote Monitoring, Quality of Experience and Secure Access.... I sell on-premise appliances to Managed Service Providers MSPs

Technology Sales in a nutshell.

Frazod 06-10-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

You'll have to expand on that lobby intermission murder story one of these days. :D