ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink -- We're way overdue to discuss Steak and Shake in depth. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310075)

dirk digler 09-14-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13080549)
That's the danger of a 'smash burger' They take the same amount of meat, but they aggressively press it into the grill to increase the surface area in contact with the grill. Increases the Maillard Reaction, so you get crispy umami bits all over instead of a crust with steamed meat inside. Sometimes you get see-through sections. So you buy a double or a triple.

Note, this video uses a form to keep the thickness, but Freddy's and Steak'n'Shake use a spatula and arm strength. So they get push through.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kBHZBTXDBW4" allowfullscreen="" height="480" frameborder="0" width="854"></iframe>

I need one of those forms.

Thanks for sharing.

MMXcalibur 09-14-2017 03:17 PM

I now want something from Steak and Shake.
Thanks.

Easy 6 09-14-2017 05:14 PM

Havent been there for quite a while due to convenience, but the Frisco Melt is just plain excellent, even if a double doesnt even amount to a quarter pounder... the secret is that super extra sweet Thousand Island dressing

Runners up, chili 3 and 5 way... very filling and tasty

Abba-Dabba 09-14-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13080567)
I need one of those forms.

Thanks for sharing.

Just buy a bacon press and dual use it.

BucEyedPea 09-14-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13080549)
That's the danger of a 'smash burger' They take the same amount of meat, but they aggressively press it into the grill to increase the surface area in contact with the grill. Increases the Maillard Reaction, so you get crispy umami bits all over instead of a crust with steamed meat inside. Sometimes you get see-through sections. So you buy a double or a triple.

Note, this video uses a form to keep the thickness, but Freddy's and Steak'n'Shake use a spatula and arm strength. So they get push through.

Had a Smashburger at the Newark airport, I think it was. I liked it—much more than Steak and Shake's.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 06:11 PM

Smashburger is overpriced bullshit

lewdog 09-14-2017 06:12 PM

Never had S&S but I judge a burger place more off the fries.

You can have an awesome burger, but if your fries suck, I won't go back. Maybe that's weird?

bevischief 09-14-2017 06:26 PM

Food and price good. But wait staff sucks. Metcalf and Shawnee Mission Parkway.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 06:27 PM

I've covered Smash Burger experience on CP a couple of times in the past. I got a burger that literally had chunks of grill scrapings on it. So perhaps it was just an off-day - however it's not near the value of S&S - Now I am NOT a fan of S&S fries - but they're not god awful - you almost have to luck out and get them fresh. Culvers fries are turd too.

Fire Me Boy! 09-14-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13081028)
Smashburger is overpriced bullshit

Smash burger is overpriced, but they're good. I prefer 5 Guys, though.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13081087)
Smash burger is overpriced, but they're good. I prefer 5 Guys, though.

me too!

Bugeater 09-14-2017 06:48 PM

I have still never experienced Steak and Shake. I wanted to hit one on the way out of Fayetteville last fall but I ended up going to Sonic instead for reasons I can't remember.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-14-2017 06:48 PM

Haven't eaten there in quite a while, but the bacon double w/ fries and cheese sauce is my shit. The cookies are usually really damned good, too. You can get all of that (w/ two cookies) for about $7.50 after tax.

Biggest issue I have with the food is that I feel like I need to use a Stridex pad after eating it. The wrapping on the burger transfers the grease everywhere and I feel like I've been perspiring oil once I'm done.

Bugeater 09-14-2017 06:50 PM

I have a Smashburger within a mile of my house and I've only been there once. There's better local hamburger joints around.

SAUTO 09-14-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13081031)
Never had S&S but I judge a burger place more off the fries.

You can have an awesome burger, but if your fries suck, I won't go back. Maybe that's weird?

I'm the same. Fries have to be good or i won't go back