ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs "not expected" to tag Poe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306308)

Direckshun 03-01-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12763277)
Tag for the DT position is 13 million.

I probably would have tagged him and then hoped to trade him.

Even if you only negotiate for a 2nd, still helps.

Tag-and-trade in the NFL is very, very difficult to do.

O.city 03-01-2017 12:07 PM

I just can't get on board overpaying a nt that headed such a bad run d.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

With the insane amount of cap money out there, this is a pretty reasonable position to take.

I'd have to think there's a team that would give up a 3rd for him if for no other reason than to get at/near the cap floor.

I don't think the Chiefs can afford to hang onto him but there are a ton of teams out there that would gladly give $13 million to him on a relatively low-risk 1-yr deal. For teams sitting on $60 million in cap space, who the **** cares about a $13 million cap charge?

Good point.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 12763281)

It was for awhile.

But we've never seen an era this flush with cap money and a demand that teams spend it.

Shit, aren't the Patriots sitting on $60 million? Why the hell wouldn't they give up a late 2nd for Poe?

I just don't think it would be as tough as we think in this environment.

Mr. Laz 03-01-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 12763281)

It's not really a tag and trade in the NFL.

Original team can negotiate a trade for a tagged player without actually signing the player to a contract first. The new team assumes the Tag value onto their salary cap and then can sign him to a new contract.

Pretty sure that's how it works.

Coogs 03-01-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

If we tag and trade, the 13.6 goes on the books this afternoon, yes? I'm not sure where we are cap wise today, but I am assuming that means more cuts to make room for Poe.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-01-2017 12:11 PM

I think the linebackers made Poe look bad. If his job is to swallow two lineman and for a linebacker to hit the gap, then it's not really his fault. Even in his prime in 2014, our run D was awful. Maybe it's Sutton's scheme to have patient linebackers to prevent the big plays from happening. Our red zone run defense was one of the best

raybec 4 03-01-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763287)
With the insane amount of cap money out there, this is a pretty reasonable position to take.

I'd have to think there's a team that would give up a 3rd for him if for no other reason than to get at/near the cap floor.

I don't think the Chiefs can afford to hang onto him but there are a ton of teams out there that would gladly give $13 million to him on a relatively low-risk 1-yr deal. For teams sitting on $60 million in cap space, who the **** cares about a $13 million cap charge?

Good point.

They would have had to get the trade done before the start of the league year, no? If they didn't already have an interested partner, that could have caused some problems. If they didn't even try though, they were remiss.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 12763293)
If we tag and trade, the 13.6 goes on the books this afternoon, yes? I'm not sure where we are cap wise today, but I am assuming that means more cuts to make room for Poe.

A team can spend a fair amount of time over the cap. I don't recall exactly when they have to be under it, but my memory is that it's sometime in June.

They'd have time to make a deal work and if they can't, then there are some emergency measures that could probably sneak him under (cutting Colquitt, Reid, Harris; a Houston re-structure, etc...).

It would be a little risky but the downside would be fairly minimal, IMO.

RunKC 03-01-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12763231)
**** that. You take your 1st this year and both of our 3rd round picks and trade up for Mahomes. I'm sick of his waiting around shit.

I'm banging that same drum, but let's be realistic...Dorsey isn't doing that. He values draft picks while Andy still loves Alex.

I'm hoping Mahommes is available around pick 20-22 bc it shouldn't cost that much to make the move. I think Houston is so desperate for a quality QB that they trade up for the kid in the teens. They can't go into next year with Brock, Savage and nothing else.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-01-2017 12:41 PM

All 3 of our ghys would start for Denver anyway. Even without Poe. With him....uh oh.

Coogs 03-01-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763340)
A team can spend a fair amount of time over the cap. I don't recall exactly when they have to be under it, but my memory is that it's sometime in June.

They'd have time to make a deal work and if they can't, then there are some emergency measures that could probably sneak him under (cutting Colquitt, Reid, Harris; a Houston re-structure, etc...).

I see. Thanks!

Mr. Laz 03-01-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763340)

March 9 (After 4:00PM ET)
2017 NFL league year begins, all 2016 contracts expire, free agency and trading opens.
All teams must be and stay under the ‘Top-51’ salary cap for 2017.

staylor26 03-01-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 12763279)
The bright spot here is that Andy Reid, better than almost anyone else, knows exactly when to cut a player loose.

So I do have faith in him to judge this, and Dorsey to replace him.

But that's a hell of a lift you're asking the front seven to do, to somehow replace Dontari Poe.

Howard can play NT. Why do you not understand this?

Mr. Laz 03-01-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12763530)
Howard can play NT. Why do you not understand this?

Which is why we drafted Chris Jones

Dorsey with another replacement draft pick

Howard to NT
Joes to RDE
Poe gone