ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 10 can disable pirated games and illegal hardware (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293949)

007 08-17-2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667246)
No, guys. See post #39. If you don't turn on Wifi Sense on your own network, other users don't have access to the password to give to anyone else. If you don't trust others with the password, then setup a guest wifi connection. Any OS stores a wifi password once entered. That's not specific to Wifi Sense. If you don't trust the person with the password, then your only option is to setup a guest network.

I don't have anyone I don't trust with my password but I also do not actually tell them the password. I enter it myself and keep it masked from them. I understand that once I enter it, that person can always access my network until 1) I change the password on my router or 2)they wipe the settings from their PC/device.

Your post sounds as if they can still share the password even though they have no idea what it is. My understanding is that they cannot share that password with anyone else unless I specifically tell them what the password is. Which I never do.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667250)
I don't have anyone I don't trust with my password but I also do not actually tell them the password. I enter it myself and keep it masked from them. I understand that once I enter it, that person can always access my network until 1) I change the password on my router or 2)they wipe the settings from their PC/device.

Your post sounds as if they can still share the password even though they have no idea what it is. My understanding is that they cannot share that password with anyone else unless I specifically tell them what the password is. Which I never do.

Yes, they can do that once you enter the password. But that is not a function of Wifi-Sense though in any manner. That's a function of the OS, which is present in Windows XP, and Windows 7 and Windows 8, and Windows 10. Along with mobile OSes. And OS X. That's not a new feature.

You've been doing it without realizing...

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667250)

That's my question as well.

I know they can go see the key themselves. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them being able to share it with all of their contacts by clicking a checkbox later that they likely won't understand the complications of.

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667257)
Yes, they can do that once you enter the password. But that is not a function of Wifi-Sense though in any manner. That's a function of the OS, which is present in Windows XP, and Windows 7 and Windows 8, and Windows 10. Along with mobile OSes. And OS X. That's not a new feature.

No, but what seems to be a new feature is giving them the ability, in a sense, to post your key (well, hash) on facebook by checking a single box.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667259)
That's my question as well.

I know they can go see the key themselves. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them being able to share it with all of their contacts by clicking a checkbox later that they likely won't understand the complications of.

Again, it's you who has control over that. When you setup your own wifi network, you have the choice of enabling Wifi-Sense on that connection. Not doing so completely prevents anyone else from sharing shit. If you don't enable Wifi-Sense, they don't have the option to share with contacts. You can even enable Wifi-Sense and still uncheck let others share your network...

http://i57.tinypic.com/15x50cy.jpg

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:15 AM

OK, so let me try and clarify my question a little.

Network with zero Windows 10 machines. No WiFi Sense enabled devices.

Key is then given to someone new with a WiFi Sense enabled. They can then share that network via WiFi Sense?

Or key is manually entered without checking the box. They can go back later and check the box to share the network?

007 08-18-2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667257)

OK, so the answer is I should never let anyone use my network at any time without a guest access setup on my router.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667277)
OK, so let me try and clarify my question a little.

Network with zero Windows 10 machines. No WiFi Sense enabled devices.

Key is then given to someone new with a WiFi Sense enabled. They can then share that network via WiFi Sense?

Or key is manually entered without checking the box. They can go back later and check the box to share the network?

It's dependent on the host of the wifi connection. If the host doesn't enable Wifi-Sense on their own network, then others can't share it even when given the password to get internet access. You can't use Wifi-Sense features if that is not enabled on the host in the first place. If you don't enable Wifi-Sense, then your wifi connection acts like a normal wifi connection. Maybe that's what people are missing..?

Fish 08-18-2015 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667285)
OK, so the answer is I should never let anyone use my network at any time without a guest access setup on my router.

No, don't be obtuse. You should just never enable Wifi-Sense on your own wifi network even if you have a Win10 computer. Problem completely solved.

007 08-18-2015 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667306)
No, don't be obtuse. You should just never enable Wifi-Sense on your own wifi network even if you have a Win10 computer. Problem completely solved.

I think you missed where I said I don't use wifi sense.

I'm backing out of the conversation. I was trying to help get clarity for unlurking but instead I'm just obtuse. LMAO

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667290)
It's dependent on the host of the wifi connection. If the host doesn't enable Wifi-Sense on their own network, then others can't share it even when given the password to get internet access. You can't use Wifi-Sense features if that is not enabled on the host in the first place. If you don't enable Wifi-Sense, then your wifi connection acts like a normal wifi connection. Maybe that's what people are missing..?

Yeah, you are confusing the shit out of me.

The WiFi connection host is the AP. The AP is not WiFi Sense aware. It is completely dependent on the clients that connect to the host. (Maybe semantics getting me here, just clarifying.)

If the SSID is appended with "_optout" at the AP, then that signals Microsoft not to share. Although it weirdly takes a few days based on some backend process, not something that Win10 itself is aware of. That's the only thing that can be done at the AP. Still no WiFi Sense awareness, but basically a robots.txt style optout function (where you put your trust in the spider/crawler).

The clients are the ones with WiFi Sense. So in essence, a dozen Win10 devices that are configured manually to connect to the AP (not connecting from somebody else's WiFi Sense sharing) could all share authentication methods for that network to the contacts on all dozen Win10 devices.

Am I getting that right?

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667312)

I'm backing out of the conversation. I was trying to help get clarity for unlurking but instead I'm just obtuse. LMAO

I get what you meant, but Fish's responses aren't quite as acute as I'd hoped.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667315)
Yeah, you are confusing the shit out of me.

The WiFi connection host is the AP. The AP is not WiFi Sense aware. It is completely dependent on the clients that connect to the host. (Maybe semantics getting me here, just clarifying.)

If the SSID is appended with "_optout" at the AP, then that signals Microsoft not to share. Although it weirdly takes a few days based on some backend process, not something that Win10 itself is aware of. That's the only thing that can be done at the AP. Still no WiFi Sense awareness, but basically a robots.txt style optout function (where you put your trust in the spider/crawler).

The clients are the ones with WiFi Sense. So in essence, a dozen Win10 devices that are configured manually to connect to the AP (not connecting from somebody else's WiFi Sense sharing) could all share authentication methods for that network to the contacts on all dozen Win10 devices.

Am I getting that right?

Bolded. Wifi-Sense is client based. You get that right? If a computer isn't running Win10, it isn't even capable of any Wifi-Sense capabilities. A wifi router isn't made "Wifi-Sense" capable. That's all strictly OS. And more strictly limited to Win10 client.

The clients are the ones with Wiif-Sense. The router is not. Hence, if the host computer never enables Wifi-Sense on it's own network, those features aren't available. It's the host computer Wifi-Sense connections that are used, not the router in any way.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667312)

Well if you don't use Wifi-Sense, then there is zero chance of anyone else sharing your SSID network key without you giving it to them. Problem solved.

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667338)
Well if you don't use Wifi-Sense, then there is zero chance of anyone else sharing your SSID network key without you giving it to them. Problem solved.

This is what I've been trying to get to.

Guru may not use it, but if he allows a guest to connect that does use it that guest can then share the connection via WiFi Sense.

So yes, his comment about never letting anyone access his network was a valid one since he likely cannot control whether a guest uses WiFi Sense.

It's not about Guru using WiFi Sense. It is about other clients using WiFi Sense.

EDIT:
I'm going to crash. But for now I'm just going to assume that this post is correct. I don't know how many more times I can re-word the question.