ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science NASA is making a big announcement about an exoplanet Thursday (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293525)

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11613718)
With the stage of modern technology where it's at, all we can do is watch anyways. :shrug:

This past century alone has introduced innovations that humankind could only dream of for thousands of years.

From electricity to telephone to automobiles, jet propulsion, microchips, cell phones, GPS, breaking the Sound Barrier and so on, let alone modern medicine, have changed the course of humanity.

Naysayers of traveling at the Speed of Light or "Warping" space for interstellar travel are extremely narrow-minded.

Discuss Thrower 07-23-2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11613871)
This past century alone has introduced innovations that humankind could only dream of for thousands of years.

From electricity to telephone to automobiles, jet propulsion, microchips, cell phones, GPS, breaking the Sound Barrier and so on, let alone modern medicine, have changed the course of humanity.

Naysayers of traveling at the Speed of Light or "Warping" space for interstellar travel are extremely narrow-minded.

FTL capability requires throwing out a lot of physics as we understand them. Either from just the mechanics of going from A to B as well as the ungodly amounts of power it would take to make those mechanics work.

eDave 07-23-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Factor in accelerating change and things are closer than they appear.

EM drives for example.

Further reading: https://www.searchlock.com/search?q=EM+drive

HemiEd 07-23-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11613349)
So about what I expected - they've got one out there that our models say is in the right zone where it could have water, and it's been around a lot longer than us - meaning that life has had plenty of time to develop compared to how long it took here.

Again, we haven't found aliens, but it's pretty exciting that they have a target out there like that to really study closely now.

I wonder if they still have racism and prejudice?

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11613897)
Factor in accelerating change and are things are closer than they appear.

EM drives for example.

Further reading: https://www.searchlock.com/search?q=EM+drive

EM drives are awesome

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11613889)
FTL capability requires throwing out a lot of physics as we understand them. Either from just the mechanics of going from A to B as well as the ungodly amounts of power it would take to make those mechanics work.

That's only today. There could be a breakthrough tomorrow that could once again change the course of human history.

It's naive to think that interstellar travel is impossible.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-23-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11613947)
That's only today. There could be a breakthrough tomorrow that could once again change the course of human history.

It's naive to think that interstellar travel is impossible.

Pour just one batch of boar semen in a rocket. Light year travel will be like horse and buggy days.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-23-2015 05:17 PM

BTW , I'm taking the family to Roswell next week. I'll check on them aliens.

threebag 07-23-2015 05:21 PM

Don't get probed

eDave 07-23-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 11614016)
BTW , I'm taking the family to Roswell next week. I'll check on them aliens.

Watch your cornhole bud.

Easy 6 07-23-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj2wr (Post 11613082)
If anything relevant is found, the public will be the last to know

mdchiefsfan 07-23-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

It was a one joke in response to another. Try not to take things too seriously there, bud. :thumb:

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11614036)
It was a one joke in response to another. Try not to take things too seriously there, bud. :thumb:

Sorry, I shouldn't have quoted you. I should have made a standalone post.

My bad! :D

mdchiefsfan 07-23-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11614044)
Sorry, I shouldn't have quoted you. I should have made a standalone post.

My bad! :D

No worries. Your points are very valid; just wanted to clarify.

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11614031)
Watch your cornhole bud.

LMAO