ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Hudson to Oakland (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291160)

Amnorix 03-09-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11370134)
There are teams out there like Oakland with reeruned cap money to spend and who need to overpay to get any free agent to go there.

We needed to lock up our players during the year and didn't get it done this time...

FYP. Teams like the Raiders, Jags and Titans are pretty clearly needing to overpay to get anyone to go there.

Antoher factor is state taxes. California taxes people who make more than $1MM per year 13% or something of the excess. When Florida and Texas have NO state income tax, it's a serious problem.

NFL seriously needs to think about whether a state income tax adjusted salary cap number makes sense. Teams in states with no income tax have a significant "recruiting" advantage over states that do, especially if it's higher. If the goal of the NFL is to have a level playing field for the teams to hunt talent, then they should probably consider it.

Of course, that would help teams in NY and California, so I'm not sure I'd personally support it. :D

Hoover 03-09-2015 08:06 AM

I know everyone likes to bitch about the line and Dorsey, but frankly I think he made the right calls by not over paying guys like Albert, Hudson, Asamoah, and Schwartz.

Albert: Five-year, 47 million deal with $25 million guaranteed. Started 9 games in 2014
Asamoah: Five-year, 22.5 million deal with $6 million guaranteed. Started 15 games in 2015
Schwartz: Four-year, $16.8 million deal with $6.2 million guaranteed. Started 2 games in 2014

Look at the money that's been paid to Chiefs offensive linemen, who besides Albert, don't have long distinguished track records in the NFL. Of all these guys, Asamoah is the guy me probably should have kept, but its not like he's some standout guard who would be difficult to replace.

It's going to suck to have to re-stock the oline in the upcoming draft but we don't really have a choice in the matter. This is why we must always use 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks on developmental linemen. It's a position you can't afford to ignore anymore because the big fatties are making bank.

Hoover 03-09-2015 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 11370212)
Not necessarily if we end up signing a number of free agents this year.

The Macklin signing makes it a wash.

KC_Lee 03-09-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 11370219)
FYP. Teams like the Raiders, Jags and Titans are pretty clearly needing to overpay to get anyone to go there.

Antoher factor is state taxes. California taxes people who make more than $1MM per year 13% or something of the excess. When Florida and Texas have NO state income tax, it's a serious problem.

NFL seriously needs to think about whether a state income tax adjusted salary cap number makes sense. Teams in states with no income tax have a significant "recruiting" advantage over states that do, especially if it's higher. If the goal of the NFL is to have a level playing field for the teams to hunt talent, then they should probably consider it.

Of course, that would help teams in NY and California, so I'm not sure I'd personally support it. :D

You might have defeated your own point. TN has no state income tax. So if this were such a great thing the Titans would not have to overpay (other than the team sucks balls and has zero direction) given this fact.

However, your point on the taxes and the salary cap is a good one but i highly doubt that the NFL would ever open that can of worms.

Hoover 03-09-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 11370230)
You might have defeated your own point. TN has no state income tax. So if this were such a great thing the Titans would not have to overpay (other than the team sucks balls and has zero direction) given this fact.

However, your point on the taxes and the salary cap is a good one but i highly doubt that the NFL would ever open that can of worms.

No way should the salary cap be indexed to account for state income tax rates. Will the cap be indexed to help KC deal with the fact that living in Kansas City is kind of boring compared to most over NFL cities? Doing something like that would only help teams like the 49ers, Seattle, NY Giants and Jets. Those teams don't have problems attracting players. The Raiders suck because their ownership is so bad they are like a third world country of the NFL.

Dave Lane 03-09-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 11370155)
I guess that's the plan if you want to see Alex Smith continue to get killed.

Personally I'm not sure that is a bad thing long term.

L.A. Chieffan 03-09-2015 08:35 AM

OL all day in the draft baby

The Franchise 03-09-2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11370205)
3rd round comp pick next year.

After signing Maclin? Doubtful.

Imon Yourside 03-09-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 11370185)
Fugging 9 mil per year? **** him.

That's about like 4.5 mil here, cuz cali

BigChiefFan 03-09-2015 08:46 AM

I'll take Maclin over Hudson.

BigMeatballDave 03-09-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 11370282)
OL all day in the draft baby

LMAO

Imon Yourside 03-09-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 11370302)
I'll take Maclin over Hudson.

Our GM would have to have his head examined if he paid 9 mil to Hudson.

DaWolf 03-09-2015 09:00 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Good player, upgrade at the position. But the Chiefs aren&#39;t losing sleep over losing him <a href="https://twitter.com/Big_Shirk">@Big_Shirk</a>: thoughts on Hudson signing?”</p>&mdash; John Middlekauff (@JohnMiddlekauff) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauff/status/574941937876099072">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-09-2015 09:16 AM

Can't blame Dorsey for that. Ridiculous money

Frosty 03-09-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 11370248)
No way should the salary cap be indexed to account for state income tax rates. Will the cap be indexed to help KC deal with the fact that living in Kansas City is kind of boring compared to most over NFL cities? Doing something like that would only help teams like the 49ers, Seattle, NY Giants and Jets. Those teams don't have problems attracting players. The Raiders suck because their ownership is so bad they are like a third world country of the NFL.

Washington doesn't have a state income tax either, so it wouldn't make any difference to Seattle.