ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Big Green Egg (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289826)

highBOLTage 01-10-2015 03:04 PM

I got a good deal on the Char griller akorn kamado a few years back at Lowes (~$100). Last year I won a big green egg. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these kamado style bbqs. My akorn is still doing awesome and I havent even opened the box of my big green egg. I doubt there is any significant performance difference. One will just probably last forever and the other 5-10 years based on weather/care. The other well built kamados probably last a long time too.

Bwana 01-10-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11255334)
I think thats my next purchase.

Yeah I know I had a big rant thread at one point about Traeger smokers. I bought one of those before I bought the Yoder and what a pile of crap that thing was. I guess at one point Traeger was all USA made and they were a very good product. Now a lot, if not all of the parts are manufactured over in China. I went through four heating rods and a complete computer hopper assembly in 5 weeks. I ended up loading the POS up into the back of my super duty, dumping it back over at Costco and getting my money back. I have had zero issues with the Yoder and it's 10 times the smoker.

The way I look at it is I spent a lot of money up front, but it's a lifetime smoker. I enjoy smoking so it was a now brainer for me.

O.city 01-10-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 11255362)
Yeah I know I had a big rant thread at one point about Traeger smokers. I bought one of those before I bought the Yoder and what a pile of crap that thing was. I guess at one point Traeger was all USA made and they were a very good product. Now a lot, if not all of the parts are manufactured over in China. I went through four heating rods and a complete computer hopper assembly in 5 weeks. I ended up loading the POS up into the back of my super duty, dumping it back over at Costco and getting my money back. I have had zero issues with the Yoder and it's 10 times the smoker.

The way I look at it is I spent a lot of money up front, but it's a lifetime smoker. I enjoy smoking so it was a now brainer for me.

Yeah, I don't mind spending on stuff like that because it will last. You get your money out of it.

Fire Me Boy! 01-10-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 11255340)
The Big Green Egg has no competition. It's a 160 lb cast iron oven. Nothing else on the market can maintain heat like the egg. It's the equivalent of your best skillet vs teflon. One you have to crank the heat on until you're done cooking and it cools down almost instantly.

The egg, like a good skillet, maintains heat with minimal fuel. It gets up to 700 degrees and you can cook pizza on it.

No, it's not. It's a 160-pound ceramic oven.

Bwana 01-10-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11255366)
Yeah, I don't mind spending on stuff like that because it will last. You get your money out of it.

Yeah likewise, it's absolutely justifiable.

Just Passin' By 01-10-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 11254729)
Been looking at these and may buy one this spring. I figure some of you grillmasters own one. Are they worth the $$$? What size do you recommend? I'm looking at the Large or XL. Anything you don't like about it? Do you have it in the nest, table, or some custom built island/kitchen thing?

How do they work as grills? Smokers?

Discuss. Any pics are welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by highBOLTage (Post 11255361)
I got a good deal on the Char griller akorn kamado a few years back at Lowes (~$100). Last year I won a big green egg. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these kamado style bbqs. My akorn is still doing awesome and I havent even opened the box of my big green egg. I doubt there is any significant performance difference. One will just probably last forever and the other 5-10 years based on weather/care. The other well built kamados probably last a long time too.

ILChief, meet highBOLTage.

Bwana 01-10-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11255443)
ILChief, meet highBOLTage.

No doubt could be a win/win depending on transport charges.

ILChief 01-10-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highBOLTage (Post 11255361)

What size egg did u win?

ILChief 04-25-2015 10:48 AM

Finally bought one yesterday. Cooked some burgers on it. Initially pulled them off too soon but once I cooked them a little longer, they were money. Any tips from any CP eggheads?

Great Expectations 04-25-2015 10:51 PM

I'm glad to help in any way I can. What is the next item you are going to cook?

Unsmooth-Moment 04-26-2015 05:20 AM

A couple of my favorites to cook in no particular order: pork tenderloin, tri tip, and pizza. Did you get a plate setter?

ILChief 04-26-2015 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 11459874)
A couple of my favorites to cook in no particular order: pork tenderloin, tri tip, and pizza. Did you get a plate setter?

Yes I have a plate setter

ILChief 04-26-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 11459751)
I'm glad to help in any way I can. What is the next item you are going to cook?

We have some pork chops that I will do next. After that, hopefully ribs

MahiMike 04-26-2015 07:31 AM

Still the best grill out there. Just grilled/baked some salmon. My son and friend (who don't really like fish) said it was the best they ever ate.

Great Expectations 04-26-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 11459896)
We have some pork chops that I will do next. After that, hopefully ribs

I keep the temp around 375 for pork chops. Car wash Mike has a very detailed rib cook. I also like the playing with smoke and fire blogspot.