ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music 2015 Rock Hall Of Fame Class Includes Lou Reed, Joan Jett, Green Day (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289195)

Baby Lee 12-19-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11201838)
Why does that story not surprise me, never liked those guys at all... they may have sold a lot of records, but first ballot HOFers?

Lest you forget

It's something unpredictable but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life.

Don't that make you want to exchange wistful glances with your HS chums?

Easy 6 12-19-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11202009)
Lest you forget

It's something unpredictable but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life.

Don't that make you want to exchange wistful glances with your HS chums?

LMAO it makes me want to pull my armpit hair out in painful handfuls, **** that song... those guys are the definition of cookie cutter, paint by numbers "rock".

Omaha 12-19-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11202038)
LMAO it makes me want to pull my armpit hair out in painful handfuls, **** that song... those guys are the definition of cookie cutter, paint by numbers "rock".

In summary:

Offspring < Metallica < Green Day < Joan Jett < peopleatyourlocalguitarcenteronanygivensaturday

Discuss.

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11201838)
KISS sold way more records and it took them forever to be let in... Green Day sucks ass.

KISS reportedly sold more than 100 million records but that's nonsense. Green Day's sold 85 million and counting.

The reason it's nonsense? Soundscan didn't exist in the 70's, while Soundscan counted every point of sale (save for a few Mom & Pop shops) since the early 90's. So, Green Day's sales figures are accurate and the KISS sales figures are not.

Why aren't the KISS sales accurate? The main reason is that the RIAA, the organization that awards Gold, Platinum and Diamond certifications doesn't award due to album sales. It awards on the amount of albums shipped.

Casablanca Records, the original record label of KISS, was absolutely notorious for over shipping records to get certifications. The old adage was "Ship Gold, Return Platinum". So in essentially, Casablanca would ship out 1 million copies of a KISS record so that the RIAA would certify it as a Platinum record. Then, Casablanca would allow (actually, all record labels allow) Returns of 25% or more (and in some cases, 50%). But since the records were shipped and a certification awarded, the label didn't care if they received 50% of the merch back because they'd just sell it off to PX and record clubs (which already have a 25% reduced royalty rate and street price) or trash it altogether.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify. I have no dog in this hunt, as I never cared for either band. But I should mention that any act capable of reaching one million people, let alone, hundreds of millions of units worldwide, deserves respect.

Dayze 12-19-2014 10:55 AM

I meat Joan Jett while staying at a hotel in Pensacola back in probably 2012.

I usually play this game with my wife where I'll see someone that looks like a celebrity, and I'll say "hey, check out XXXXX XXXX". then we laugh. This time i was literally in mid-sentence of "Hey, check out Joan Jett"......then realized it was indeed her.

she made eye contact with me, because I was obviously staring at her, and she says "hi, how are you"? I was flabergasted. Introduced my wife and I. She was VERY nice. offered to sign anything, which we declined. Then she chatted with us for probably 5 minutes while waiting for her car to be pulled around front.

The thing that was awesome was....she was dressed exactly as you would picture her when she was on stage. Black jeans, black tank top, etc.

GloucesterChief 12-19-2014 12:37 PM

Jann Wenner and friends don't like prog and metal. They love alternative and punk.

Still waiting for Priest, Maiden, or Deep Purple to get in.

Easy 6 12-19-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11202156)
KISS reportedly sold more than 100 million records but that's nonsense. Green Day's sold 85 million and counting.

The reason it's nonsense? Soundscan didn't exist in the 70's, while Soundscan counted every point of sale (save for a few Mom & Pop shops) since the early 90's. So, Green Day's sales figures are accurate and the KISS sales figures are not.

Why aren't the KISS sales accurate? The main reason is that the RIAA, the organization that awards Gold, Platinum and Diamond certifications doesn't award due to album sales. It awards on the amount of albums shipped.

Casablanca Records, the original record label of KISS, was absolutely notorious for over shipping records to get certifications. The old adage was "Ship Gold, Return Platinum". So in essentially, Casablanca would ship out 1 million copies of a KISS record so that the RIAA would certify it as a Platinum record. Then, Casablanca would allow (actually, all record labels allow) Returns of 25% or more (and in some cases, 50%). But since the records were shipped and a certification awarded, the label didn't care if they received 50% of the merch back because they'd just sell it off to PX and record clubs (which already have a 25% reduced royalty rate and street price) or trash it altogether.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify. I have no dog in this hunt, as I never cared for either band. But I should mention that any act capable of reaching one million people, let alone, hundreds of millions of units worldwide, deserves respect.

It would obviously be stupid of me to argue any of this, you are right in your wheelhouse on this subject... but even considering Bogarts shenanigans, its impossible for me to imagine GD selling more albums than KISS.

I'm just glad you dont like Green Day LMAO

Easy 6 12-19-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11202450)
Jann Wenner and friends don't like prog and metal. They love alternative and punk.

Still waiting for Priest, Maiden, or Deep Purple to get in.

For them to even be considering NWA before any of those guys is the height of idiocy.

Crying Ramtard 12-19-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11202603)
For them to even be considering NWA before any of those guys is the height of idiocy.

New White Attitude?

Crying Ramtard 12-19-2014 02:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ay5QvVHmq0

Quote:

1. Panic
2. The Boy With the Thorn In His Side
3. Heaven Knows I´m Miserable Now
4. Ask
5. Bigmouth Strikes Again
6. How Soon Is Now?
7. This Charming Man
8. What Difference Does It Make?
9. William, It Was Really Nothing
10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
11. Girlfriend In a Coma
12. Hand In Glove
13. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
14. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
15. That Joke Isn´t Funny Anymore
16. I Know It´s Over
17. Sheila Take a Bow
18. I Started Something I Couldn´t Finish
19. Still Ill
20. Shakespeare´s Sister
21. Shoplifters of the World Unite
22. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
23. Stop Me If You Think You´ve Heard This One Before

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11202599)
but even considering Bogarts shenanigans, its impossible for me to imagine GD selling more albums than KISS.

Well, I'm with you in that regard. I don't understand the appeal of Green Day, as they don't speak to me at all. Yet I've got friends the same age that absolutely love them.

I never cared for Nirvana, either. They're like a "dark" Cheap Trick. AIC and Soundgarden were my favorite artists during that period yet "Nevermind" sold more than 75 million records.

chiefs1111 12-19-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11197275)
Deep Purple's absence is a travesty, IMO, but they'll get in eventually, although it doesn't help that Ian Gillen has repeatedly said nasty things about the R&R HOF.

But it would be weird to actually visit that place and see Madonna but not the band that wrote and performed "Smoke on the Water".

This. They should have been in LONG ago.

Easy 6 12-19-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11202673)
I never cared for Nirvana, either.

YOU ARE A DEAD MFER TO ME... LEARN TO SWIM, BITCH.

But c'mon, I can see the Cheap Trick label being applied to a few songs on Nevermind simply because of the higher production values (which Kurt hated)... but the stuff off Bleach, In Utero, Muddy Banks of the Wishkaw was so far removed from that deal its crazy, all of that was raw as roadkill real deal punk.

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11202745)
YOU ARE A DEAD MFER TO ME... LEARN TO SWIM, BITCH.

But c'mon, I can see the Cheap Trick label being applied to a few songs on Nevermind simply because of the higher production values (which Kurt hated)... but the stuff off Bleach, In Utero, Muddy Banks of the Wishkaw was so far removed from that deal its crazy, all of that was raw as roadkill real deal punk.

Oh, I fully understand their appeal and think they were a great band but they weren't one of those artists in which I could listen to, repeatedly, for hours on end for years after their releases.

And like you, I enjoyed their earlier releases more than their Geffen releases.

Easy 6 12-19-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11202747)
Oh, I fully understand their appeal and think they were a great band but they weren't one of those artists in which I could listen to, repeatedly, for hours on end for years after their releases.

And like you, I enjoyed their earlier releases more than their Geffen releases.

STILL DEAD TO ME.

Interesting side note that I love... Kurt LOVED using Silvertone guitars because of their cheap quality and ratty sound. I've owned a Silvertone and he was right, they're the perfect punk guitar... "who needs a fuzz pedal? I've got a Silvertone".