ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals So what's the deal with Frank White? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287556)

Simply Red 10-18-2014 09:25 AM

http://i.imgur.com/kIUE6qv.jpg

milkman 10-18-2014 05:09 PM

I've mentioned before that Frank White was my favorite player on those 80s Royals team, but he was not good at all in the booth.

Rex Hudler sucks ass, though.

cosmo20002 10-18-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11025251)

1981 Donruss was a ****ed-up set. A bunch of the photos were blurry and like half the cards had errors. 1981 Fleer was pretty much the same.

That was the first year in a long time that other companies were allowed to compete with Topps, but they were not allowed to include gum in the card packs.
True story.

srvy 10-18-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11026116)
1981 Donruss was a ****ed-up set. A bunch of the photos were blurry and like half the cards had errors. 1981 Fleer was pretty much the same.

That was the first year in a long time that other companies were allowed to compete with Topps, but they were not allowed to include gum in the card packs.
True story.

Well Topps didnt put gum in with the cards either. I don't know what it was but gum no way. That stuff was hard and crunchy like a thicker potato chip. After crunching it up in your mouth finally you could work it into something chewable. My brother and I once put it in our pet white rat cage. Next morning it was still there untouched. Finally we would just chuck it in the trash after we couldn't give it away to my sister and her friends.

Demonpenz 10-18-2014 06:29 PM

Frank White was so dry that Ryan was the squirly guy on the broadcast. Also how tough was Splitt that he could cuss out the Royals basically on-air and get away with it. I think people were scared of him lol.

alnorth 10-18-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 11026234)
Frank White was so dry that Ryan was the squirly guy on the broadcast. Also how tough was Splitt that he could cuss out the Royals basically on-air and get away with it. I think people were scared of him lol.

Yeah, people who are saying Frank White got fired for being too negative need to explain Splitt to me. He wasn't exactly a cheerleader with velvet gloves.

Demonpenz 10-18-2014 06:41 PM

I think Splitt would throw them bows. I remember him calling Renelvous Hernandez fat LOL

wazu 10-18-2014 07:02 PM

I thought Frank was great in the booth. Part of it was his KC cred, but I also felt like I learned stuff fairly regularly from listening to him. This thread is literally the first time I have encountered anybody expressing a negative opinion of his work in the booth.

hawkchief 10-18-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 11024125)
Frank White and the Glass family hate each other.
That's pretty much it.

It'll be interesting when Frank becomes a Jackson County Commissioner. The stadiums are under the political thumb of Jackson County. Great soap opera brewing there....

Iif a Frank tries to jack with the Glass family when Commissioner, maybe Glass will move the team across the State Line and show him that a well-paid player that was extremely well paid while a player, but under-qualified to be manager and sucked as a broadcaster, should quit bitching and be thankful to an organization that paid him millions.

Sorry Frank, you've gotten plenty of respect from the a Royals and KC. If it's not enough fir you and Keitzman, tough shit.

cosmo20002 10-18-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 11026297)
I thought Frank was great in the booth. Part of it was his KC cred, but I also felt like I learned stuff fairly regularly from listening to him. This thread is literally the first time I have encountered anybody expressing a negative opinion of his work in the booth.

this

KCUnited 10-18-2014 07:44 PM

Chiefs should fire Dawson.

CoMoChief 10-18-2014 07:57 PM

From what I heard is that they didn't actually fire him from the broadcast, they cut his pay significantly and wanted him to make more appearances, and not just the TV broadcast. He (White) thought he should be paid more because he was going to be doing more and Glass family gave him an ultimatum of "accept the deal or we'll find a replacement". Frank White decided to not take the deal and he felt that he was disrespected and decided that he was completely done w/ the Royals and the Glass family.

srvy 10-18-2014 08:25 PM

Well there is pride and there is stupidity. Sometimes you bite the bullet and do what satisfies the organization. Or you go Franks route and get mad walk away and take a 10 grand a year job.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-18-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 11024029)
Just had 810 on and Kietzman was talking about trying to get Frank White to throw out the first pitch for one of the World Series games.

What is the issues between White and the Royals in the first place?

He set Tupac up outside of the Bad Boy studios in NYC, leading to him getting shot five times. Tupac survived and then cut the best dis track of all time.

tk13 10-19-2014 11:40 PM

Jeff Passan wrote a long article about this for Yahoo. A couple tidbits.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-roy...044453095.html

Quote:

Last week, the Royals extended an olive branch to White. If ever there were a time to make amends, it was heading into Game 3 of the ALCS against Baltimore, the first ALCS the Royals would host since the 1985 team that featured White, a sure-handed second baseman, filling the cleanup spot. The director of the Royals Hall of Fame, Curt Nelson, reached out to White. Others in the hall were coming to town for the occasion, and they were going to be on the field together, and the team wanted to let bygones be bygones, to have White join the group.

He said no.

"It wasn't right for me," White said, and it prompted some in the organization to wonder: If that wasn't right for him, can anything be?

---

Whether it was his criticism or the perception that he bad-mouthed the team to other organizations, the Royals told White they wanted to slash the salary of his community-relations job – essentially a perfunctory, appearance-making gig – from $150,000 to $50,000. The Bell hiring was one slight, the Hillman another. White saw this as too much, an insult. A year later, Fox Sports fired him from his announcing job and replaced him with Rex Hudler, an unabashed booster.

White joined the Kansas City T-Bones, a local independent team, as a coach, and worked in sales and marketing for a local roofing company. At public appearances, fans would ask when he was going to go back to the Royals, and White would smile and laugh, because that's how he hides his pain. And at the same time, the Royals grit their teeth at being cast as the bad guys, knowing that a six-figure annual golden parachute is the sort of luxury rarely given, believing that White's desire to be treated as Brett's equal fueled an animosity that needn't have existed.

"I'm not waiting for an apology at all," White said. "I've basically moved on. What happened with the Royals happened with the Royals. What happened with Dan Glass and his front office happened with him. My focus has been on rooting for the team and winning the race next month."