ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Should the NFL overtime rules be changed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286764)

Pasta Little Brioni 09-21-2014 09:36 PM

Again the BETTER TEAM WON

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 10937888)
Again the BETTER TEAM WON

agreed

kcpasco 09-21-2014 09:39 PM

Goodell will change the rules so both teams get 1 possession unless the first TD is from a Manning.

OldSchool 09-21-2014 09:43 PM

Hilarious. I bet that they change the rules during this coming off-season just to coddle Manning some more. Don't want the game to be decided by a "lucky flip" in overtime? Then win the ****ing game in regulation.

Demonpenz 09-21-2014 09:44 PM

the over and under has to be somewhat managable to vegas

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10937874)
It's not an advantage if the other team's defense is stronger than your offense, or if your defense is stronger than the other team's offense.

Granted, though, that the modern rules give offenses all sorts of advantages over defenses, so that's a factor.

Yes, and the easiest way to nullify these advantages is to simply have two possessions.

I just don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt over adding one extra possession. It's like I'm advocating genocide over here, what in the **** is getting everyone so riled up for? Fairer results are some how frowned upon?

tk13 09-21-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937857)
Your argument was if you can ram it down the oppositions throat and score a touchdown while the game is on the line, you deserve another possession.

I'm saying the Broncos technically did just that.

Yeah, but it still doesn't make sense. One happened during regulation, the other happened during OT. I never said if you allow a TD during regulation you deserve to lose the game.

You are never going to make it 100% fair. A team with a great offense can win the coin flip at the beginning of the game, go down and score and take the lead, and be playing from an advantageous position for the rest of the game. I've always argued as much as we argue about stuff on here, sometimes things come down to flat luck.

GoChargers 09-21-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937905)
Yes, and the easiest way to nullify these advantages is to simply have two possessions.

I just don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt over adding one extra possession. It's like I'm advocating genocide over here, what in the **** is getting everyone so riled up for? Fairer results are some how frowned upon?

How were the results unfair in any way? Did the Donks not have the opportunity to try to stop Seattle's offense? Hell, they didn't even need to get a stop, they could have even just forced them to settle for 3. Instead they let Seattle drive 80 yards for a touchdown. They deserved to lose.

Baby Lee 09-21-2014 09:51 PM

****ing ESPN saying 'new rules put extra emphasis on coin toss,' then go to forehead presser where he puts the OT loss on choosing the coin toss poorly.

Transparent.

eDave 09-21-2014 09:51 PM

Manning choked the coin toss.

/sorry if Q

Buck 09-21-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 10937638)
I thought the last time they changed it was because this happened to him...or maybe it was Favre. Can't remember.

Yep. The Manning Rule was created because of this game.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YKCKH5OhLUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcpasco 09-21-2014 09:52 PM

Instead of guaranteed possessions why not just play a 10 minute quarter.

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:53 PM

why not just let payton have the ball, or get 2 flips. That way errbody happy.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-21-2014 09:53 PM

seattletimes.com doesn't sound like a satire site, but in all honesty, are they serious?

People whined (rightfully so) about the overtime rules for years and years, and the league finally got it right. Now we're going to whine some more? Was Denver's defense not aware of the overtime rules going in?

Mama Hip Rockets 09-21-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 10937947)
Instead of guaranteed possessions why not just play a 10 minute quarter.

Or why not just leave the rules like they are now, since they're perfect?