ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games All Things Video Games & Game Reviews (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285969)

Gonzo 10-10-2014 06:24 PM

Hey all. Just got an email alert that my reserved copy of The Evil Within for my PS4 will be in Monday night at midnight.
If you haven't reserved it yet, I have a feeling this game is going to be ****ing epic.
After I pick up, I'll let you know what I think.

Kidd Lex 10-12-2014 06:11 PM

I haven't even heard this game mentioned prior to your mention. Looking forward to your review Gonzo.

Here's the link of the preview from IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...he-evil-within

kcxiv 10-12-2014 06:29 PM

Anyone play 7 days to die? Its on sale on steam and im thinking about possible getting it.

Gonzo 10-12-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 11009135)
I haven't even heard this game mentioned prior to your mention. Looking forward to your review Gonzo.

Here's the link of the preview from IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...he-evil-within

I'll be picking that bad boy up ASAP.
Planning on a burbon fuled evening of pants-shitting fun. Lol
I've really looked forward to this one. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Gonzo 10-12-2014 09:36 PM

Game Review: Telltale's The Walking Dead - Season 2 (Complete)

Let's start out with the following...

***SPOILER ALERT***

Well, I finally completed season two. I fully expected a sophomore slump this go around. I don't know why, for sure. Maybe it was the complete awesomeness of the first season? I was kind of thinking, "how can they make this poor kid go through even more terrible shit?"
Well... good for us, bad for Clementine. This poor kid has had a rough couple years.
Let's do a brief summary of season one as a refresher, shall we?
As I'm sure you're aware, telltale games does video games a little differently. It tells a story and let's you make decisions on how the primary characters interact with each other and the environment. These decisions effect how the game progresses. They've done this with several popular pop-culture titles, (Back to the Future comes to mind) and they've been somewhat popular with the indie crowd. The Walking Dead title was an instant hit over a year ago and went totally mainstream. They released five episodes that related to the comic more than the show. They showcased an entirely different cast of characters during the zombie apocalypse. However, they did a few cameos from the comic.
Season one centered around a character named Lee who was a convicted murderer on his way to prison. Zombie events ensue, he escapes custody and meets a little Asian girl named Clementine.
He ends up being a good guy, protects her throughout all five episodes and teaches her how to survive. *Spoiler* Lee does die at the end of season one and 'Clem' is on her own.
The first season was excellent. Just a gripping story that made me check to see if the next episode was available on a daily basis.
Season two picks up with Clementine about a year or two older. She's with two people from her previous group, Christa and Omid, (a married couple). A mistake is made by Clem and *Spoiler* Omid dies.
After that, things get more difficult for her. She notices all she can do is count on herself and she ends up alone again after being attacked by bandits.
Clem survives due to things Lee taught her. You can instantly tell she has matured beyond her years. She kills the undead without remorse or hesitation.
I have to admit, the first three episodes of season two really kept me glued. I would play each one two or three times to see which decisions or conversations were really pertinent to the story.
You can make Clem become a hard ass or you can try to have her keep some of her childhood innocence. She comes across another group and meets an old friend from season one that ends up being a very big part of the finale. I won't spoil who, just in case.
By episode four, I realized that this game was taking an even darker course. Telltale did an excellent job of really sticking to the comics' storyline of people being more dangerous than the undead and how terrible the human race can be to one another.
As I mentioned, the gameplay is very basic. Hit certain buttons to say certain things and make decisions. This isn't a game where you go around making head-shots on zombies. However, there's plenty of action and you'll stay entertained. Each episode will last about 1 or 2 hours. You can buy a season pass for both seasons for about 50 bucks, (check for special deals, I could be wrong). This will get you roughly 15 hours of gameplay.
You will find yourself immersed in the story wether you're a fan of the comics/series or not. The graphics are very artistic and comic/cartoon based. The characters and environments are very well drawn and colorful. The replay-ability is fairly good depending on how you would like the story to progress. I have a feeling that we are going to see at least two or three more seasons as well.
I played this via my PS3 and you can download it via their online store or buy the discs from GameStop.
The story is really very good and it'll be something you can enjoy when all your favorite TV shows are in reruns.
I give both seasons combined a solid 8. (Season 1 is a 9, Season 2 is a 7). The second seasons finale brought it down just a little for me but I'm still a little pissy about the decisions I made.
:D
BTW a cool feature of this game is after you complete an episode, you can see what percentage of the other players made the same decisions as you. There's also a pretty good add-on DLC episode that ties in to the main story. If you get it, play it before season 2.

I know it's been out a while but I fell behind a bit. If you're on the fence on this one, I recommend you give it a shot. There's a lot of YouTube vids out there but don't ruin the story by watching too much!

The Franchise 10-13-2014 09:32 AM

Have yet to olay Season 2.

Interested to see what "Tales from the Borderlands" looks like. Telltale Games is making a game based on the Borderlands universe.

ragedogg69 10-13-2014 09:42 AM

Can I just say that the reviews and discussion in this thread is by far the best I have read this year compared to gaming "sites." It is refreshing. Makes me want to beat some games, just so I can participate in this thread. The problem is, if I get stuck in a spot and die 3 or 4 times in a row, I move on to another game. It kinda takes me much longer to beat a game if at all. I give gamers credit that can lose their shit and power through even when the game makes them lose their mind:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pwNaJAH_8-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ThaVirus 10-13-2014 09:57 AM

I think you mentioned it in the TWD video game thread, Gonzo, but I also didn't like how they "changed" Kenny in the second season. Near the end I downright hated the direction they went with him..

Gonzo 10-13-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11010731)
I think you mentioned it in the TWD video game thread, Gonzo, but I also didn't like how they "changed" Kenny in the second season. Near the end I downright hated the direction they went with him..

I did mention that, yes. I hated it too. He was such a loveable guy, especially after trying to save Ben.
The way they portrayed him here really disappointed me. I tried siding with him throughout the entire series to see if he keeps from losing his shit, no. Still went bat shit.

Gonzo 10-13-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11010689)
Can I just say that the reviews and discussion in this thread is by far the best I have read this year compared to gaming "sites." It is refreshing. Makes me want to beat some games, just so I can participate in this thread. The problem is, if I get stuck in a spot and die 3 or 4 times in a row, I move on to another game. It kinda takes me much longer to beat a game if at all. I give gamers credit that can lose their shit and power through even when the game makes them lose their mind:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pwNaJAH_8-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks man, that's good to hear. I used to be that way, too. I remember losing my ****ing mind with the original Mario Bros.
I found that with the way games are made nowadays, I can't put them down at times. I really enjoy the storylines and creativity out into them.
If you really want a good game to beat and get totally immersed in, go with Uncharted 2 or 3.

The Franchise 10-13-2014 07:49 PM

Picking up Borderlands: The Presequel tomorrow. Too many games to ****ing play right now. Pretty sad that Destiny is just going to sit in my drawer for a while. It's not pressing me to play it.

Gonzo 10-13-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 11012060)
Picking up Borderlands: The Presequel tomorrow. Too many games to ****ing play right now. Pretty sad that Destiny is just going to sit in my drawer for a while. It's not pressing me to play it.

Let us know how it is, man. I'm curious.

Gonzo 10-13-2014 10:12 PM

I'll be picking up The Evil Within tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. I was going to grab it tonight but I need sleep.

The Franchise 10-14-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 11012370)
Let us know how it is, man. I'm curious.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Borderlands series. I easily put well over 100 hours into Borderlands and Borderlands 2. Only disappoint I have right now is that it's not available on next gen.

Mother****erJones 10-14-2014 09:25 AM

Hoping to get evil within today if not I will Friday! Can't wait