ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sporting KC The least viewed MLS Championship ever (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279369)

Demonpenz 12-10-2013 07:17 PM

I count FF as betting.

Reaper16 12-10-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10266652)
FYP (Note: Thoughts are not necessarily my own, just representing popular southern thought)

Something I've been wondering about of late: Is the MLS REALLY doing that much better and growing in the U.S.? Or is it just doing a better job of marketing itself to its hardcore fanbase?

Every Southern city and every Southern college town has a ton of dedicated soccer fans. You can't throw a rock in suburban Alabama without hitting a Messi jersey.

The MLS expansion into Orlando (and Miama and maybe Atlanta) is going to be a big deal for the league.

Reaper16 12-10-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10266705)

It won't be long before it's an official HS sport.

Wow, it isn't already? I guess I'm surprised by that for some reason.

-King- 12-10-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10266705)
Soccer is on the verge of a windfall.

I live in rural America and even here, in towns of 1000-4000 people, kids are playing soccer 2:1 over all the other youth sports combined.

It won't be long before it's an official HS sport.

Where the hell do you live that soccer isnt already a HS sport?

-King- 12-10-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan987 (Post 10266892)
I can't. I don't really understand why anyone pays attention to all those Monday/Thursday games the Chiefs aren't playing to be honest. 3 hours a week of Chiefs games is enough for me.

Cause football is the best thing on tv 99.999% of the time. Love it.

Valiant 12-10-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10266791)
Exactly. I mean, we all can watch the random Thursday or Monday night football game or even college. Who the hell watches a random Chivas USA vs. FC Dallas?

I agree, but you also do not watch a random aaa baseball or minor league football if it were on tv. Soccer fans watch European, that is the big leagues. As great as MLS is going towards skill level it will never overtake Europe..

It is dumb to compare viewership of the MLS to the big 3 or even college. Just like Bo, tons of stupid people just pass judgement without ever going to a game. Most of them I have a feeling learned it from their drunk dad who claimed he could throw a football over a mountain and soccer players are all bundle of stickss. Go to one sporting game and you will enjoy yourself.

On that, I love watching football over futbol. Playing is even more fun, oder Americans playing indoor soccer is basically football. If you try flopping I will hammer you the next time.

And even though I love sporting, I was watching MU football and basketball. I agree it would have done better the next weekend.

Eleazar 12-10-2013 07:41 PM

Why the need to run the MLS down since Sporting won the cup, anyway? They are a Kansas City team. They are successful. Why the hate?

Valiant 12-10-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10266954)

I am hoping that was sarcasm or maybe he lives in towns where they play 7v7 football.

Hell even in HS in the 90s girls started getting teams from IX.

Deberg_1990 12-10-2013 07:48 PM

Where was all this excitement back in 2000 and 2004 when KC played for the cup?

I dare someone to find me a thread on here from back then.

Valiant 12-10-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10266981)

If the thread is found, it shows people care then.

If it is not found, that means soccer is growing?

I kind of remember talking about the championship, not the loss though..

Reaper16 12-10-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10266981)

The new ownership group really revitalized the organization. This city has learned to love and understand soccer, in large part, only after the Hunts sold the team.

I want to pinpoint the win over Manchester United in a friendly as a turning point in the fanbase.

ChiefsCountry 12-10-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10266738)
It's a race to see which sport is more irrelevant in the US... Soccer or Hockey? And soccer just took the lead.

Hockey has 3 times the ratings soccer does. Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals was a 4.7 rating. Hell it averaged 3.3 rating.

The Blues regular season games are getting a 3.5 rating in St. Louis. Sporting KC for their championship game got a 4.5 rating in Kansas City.

tredadda 12-10-2013 08:01 PM

Pretty sure that has to do with the MLS's stupid decision to broadcast it on CFB Championship weekend. They literally started at almost the same time as the SECCG.

Chief Roundup 12-10-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10266723)
Soccer has been the #1 youth participation sport for decades. Literally...decades.

Of course, if you're to believe Chuck Klosterman (and I happen to in this case) it's because youth soccer is geared towards an outcast culture that doesn't like sports, and soccer is the least reprehensible of all options because you can float through the season anonymously, whereas uncoordinated people in other sports are singled out--batting in baseball, shooting/ball-handling/defense in basketball.

In most of the towns I have lived in Soccer is for the ones that are either too little to play another sport or aren't athletic/coordinated enough to play another sport. Which I believe skew those numbers making it the #1 youth sport.

Chief Roundup 12-10-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10266954)

It is not a high school sport in most rural or smaller towns. Springfield is the only city that I have lived in where soccer was a high school sport. IIRC not all the schools up there had soccer teams either. Springfield is the only city/town that I have lived in that was larger than 50,000 in population.