ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs New GM Dorsey brings energy, enthusiasm to first training camp with Chiefs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274667)

el borracho 07-21-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9824675)
You still appear to have lady parts

Are you hitting on me?

BradBigglestein 07-21-2013 01:01 AM

I don't know about Dorsey, but I do know that Andy Reid runs some of the most grueling training camps in the NFL. He's known for it. I know the rules have changed, but he likes to work guys to the bone and he will push the limit as far as he can without getting in trouble with the league. A lot of people who covered the Eagles over the years thought it might have something to do with the Eagles being a much better second half of the season team than a first half. As in they are beat up when camp is over, but get their second wind in November and are physically ready for the second half.

So for the fans who have no idea about Reid's camps, that is something to look for.

splatbass 07-21-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9823123)
I'm not sure I qualify as a fan anymore. For some reason I don't understand, the Chiefs organization continually fails to address the most important position in the game. It is fundamentally flawed.

They addressed it with the best available. There was no Luck or RGIII, nor was there any better veteran available.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 07-21-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9824753)
They addressed it with the best available. There was no Luck or RGIII, nor was there any better veteran available.

The address shouldn't have reached the condemned state of Cassel/Quinn/Stanzi. Or having to overpay for a temp stay at the Super 8 Orton Suite.

Red Beans 07-21-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9823481)
THIS.

Over time I have embraced the A. Smith trade. I hated losing out 2nd round pick last year, but I feel we have a legit QB or at least one that will no longer prevent us from winning. As I look at the rest of the roster, I don't see much in terms of needs. For the first time in years, I'm excited for the start of the season. I would have been nice had there be a QB worth the first overall pick, but there wasn't.

Goddamn your rational thought process. I'm with you though. The need to draft a QB has been so strong that almost any round peg would have been called for, even if all the holes are indeed square. The last draft was full of round pegs...

O.city 07-21-2013 06:56 AM

There are always needs.

The DL looks shaky, WR is the same. Depth at LB.

But it is getting to a point where we aren't just drafting to fill holes, but can start looking to upgrade positions.

milkman 07-21-2013 07:23 AM

I hated the Green trade.
We gave up too much for him, and I said so at the time.

We also gave up too much for Alex Smith.

I don't believe in overpaying for "best available".

And value isn't established by what you hope he might accomplish.
It's established by what he has already accomplished.

2 high pick for a mediocre, albeit efficient, game manager is overpaying, whether it's 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-21-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9824753)

There's the TRUE False Narrative of Chiefsplanet. Yep.

Mr. Laz 07-21-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9823091)
Is he bringing a legitimate QB? No? Then who cares?

don't look now but you Q'ed yourself ........ x1111111111111!!!eleventybillion

DaneMcCloud 07-21-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9824666)
I don't really care if the Smith trade appears better than the Green trade... unlike your stated 95%, I hated the Green trade. Green was set to become a free agent the following year. Apparently, Vermeil thought it was uber-important to have Green here to teach Snoop Minnis the offense. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Trent Green signed a four year, $16 million dollar deal in 1999. If he had played out his contract, he would not have been available until the 2003 season.

DaneMcCloud 07-21-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9824944)
There's the TRUE False Narrative of Chiefsplanet. Yep.

So you're stating that one QB equal to Luck or Griffin was available at the top of the draft?

LMAO

You need to stick to hating the Chiefs because you don't know dick about personnel.

Hammock Parties 07-21-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9825244)
So you're stating that one QB equal to Luck or Griffin was available at the top of the draft?

There's a guy like that in the draft 1 out of every 10 years.

DaneMcCloud 07-21-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9825247)
There's a guy like that in the draft 1 out of every 10 years.

You're missing the point, as usual.

There wasn't one NFL Ready QB in this draft.

The guy that YOU said in August would be a first rounder went UNDRAFTED.

Eleazar 07-21-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9825275)
You're missing the point, as usual.

There wasn't one NFL Ready QB in this draft.

The guy that YOU said in August would be a first rounder went UNDRAFTED.

At risk of being branded a true fan, why is it we'll defer to experience when our mechanic or dentist or whatever is involved - but when you have lifetime football guys like Reid and Dorsey, their opinion on who was the best option means nothing?

These guys actually draft and develop players and spend their entire working lives on those pursuits. Most of us have watched maybe a dozen complete games Alex Smith has played as a pro and none in college, and are just googling stats.

Reid and Dorsey are not trying to fail or developing blueprints to go 8-8 every year.

Do we really think Andy Reid doesn't want to finally win a Super Bowl?

Do we really think these guys, who are already fantastically wealthy, want to just play it safe to squeeze all the money out of this contract?

I don't get it. If Reid wanted to make easy money he'd be on ESPN, and Dorsey would be back in Green Bay.

DaneMcCloud 07-21-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9824868)
I hated the Green trade.
We gave up too much for him, and I said so at the time.

As did I. I was a huge proponent of Drew Brees.

Quote:

We also gave up too much for Alex Smith.

This is impossible to decide at this point. If Smith wins a few playoff games, giving up a draft choice for him won't have been an overpayment.

And once again, it's a single draft choice, not two, because the Chiefs would have undoubtedly given up a draft choice for a QB in this year's draft had an NFL-Ready QB been available.

Quote:

2 high pick for a mediocre, albeit efficient, game manager is overpaying, whether it's 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd.

See above.

And outside of maybe five guys, everyone else is a "Game Manager".