ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Countertops (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271257)

DJ's left nut 03-18-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9511452)
Appreciate it. A couple hours doesn't bother me if you have an interesting project with decent margins but I really don't make much on granite. We do low end, high end, and everything in the middle. In fact, we just did about a week's worth of repair to Brando's house in Waldo last week and it sold to the first person who looked at the thing on Saturday morning.

I'll certainly give you a ring when I build the 'grownup' homestead. I'll certainly be doing more than just 40 sq. feet of pretty standard countertop then.

Like I said; this is the $3k job I'm looking to do just to spruce up the kitchen for sale in a few years.

Phobia 03-18-2013 04:33 PM

You're doing it right, at least. I always advise my clients to fix up their homes a little at a time so they can enjoy it while they live there. So many people just dump a few grand into the house getting it ready for sale when they could have enjoyed better facilities all along.

DJ's left nut 03-18-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9511538)
You're doing it right, at least. I always advise my clients to fix up their homes a little at a time so they can enjoy it while they live there. So many people just dump a few grand into the house getting it ready for sale when they could have enjoyed better facilities all along.

I had to enlist my in-laws to finally convince my wife.

We've been there for 4 years already and every single time I try to improve something "well we're just going to move...."

Dammit, woman. We have to live here in the interim. And you burnt a !@#$ing hole in the bar with a stupid candle.

Her dad just dropped about 30K remodeling his kitchen so I got him to convince her how great the new countertops were so she'd finally listen. I just have to shake my head sometimes at that particular breed...

DaneMcCloud 03-18-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9511446)
The reason you've had so many troubles is because Lowes and Home Depot pay their contractors about 1/3rd of what I need to make on a job. I couldn't survive if I had to live off their labor wages. So, guess who you get working on those jobs? I'm not saying every one of my guys pisses clean but I make sure they aren't using crap on my job site.

It was just the one job but I'm glad that I used them because my experience with other contractors at the time was far worse. It's much different out here, especially at that time, when everyone was looking to flip houses, than in your area.

I've known plenty of people that have used Lowe's and Home Depot's contractors without a hitch. And I've known tons of people that have been royally ****ed over by their "legitimate" contractors.

After all of that, I've had the same contractor since 2004 and he's addressed any issues that we may have had after the work had been completed.

SAUTO 03-18-2013 05:11 PM

I've sure gotten ****ed by a contractor on my siding lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Ming the Merciless 03-18-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9511119)
Thanks man. Of course you did all the work. We love it.

i'm jealous

I spend my days remodelling for others yet my own house is stuck in the 80's

:deevee::drool::deevee:

Bob Dole 03-18-2013 05:23 PM

The best goldenrod formica that 1942 money could buy.

Phobia 03-18-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 9511115)
Soapstone FTW!!!!

I love the soapstone but that's fairly native to your neck of the woods. It gets more expensive in other areas of the country. What is the orange part of your backsplash? The copper farmer's basin is special too. I wouldn't even want to see that invoice.

Phobia 03-18-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9511577)
It was just the one job but I'm glad that I used them because my experience with other contractors at the time was far worse. It's much different out here, especially at that time, when everyone was looking to flip houses, than in your area.

I've known plenty of people that have used Lowe's and Home Depot's contractors without a hitch. And I've known tons of people that have been royally ****ed over by their "legitimate" contractors.

After all of that, I've had the same contractor since 2004 and he's addressed any issues that we may have had after the work had been completed.

It's a tough business. Very tough. I wish I could find something equally rewarding to pay my bills. But I think the housing market is finally coming back around here and my prices will fall more in line with what they used to be so I can finally buy a new truck after 8 years of driving the same rig.

SAUTO 03-18-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9511961)
I love the soapstone but that's fairly native to your neck of the woods. It gets more expensive in other areas of the country. What is the orange part of your backsplash? The copper farmer's basin is special too. I wouldn't even want to see that invoice.

I absolutely love those sinks.

I like them white though. My kitchen is next
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia 03-18-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9511988)
I absolutely love those sinks.

I like them white though. My kitchen is next
Posted via Mobile Device

Good thing you like it white. You just saved yourself like $2k.

SAUTO 03-18-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9511997)
Good thing you like it white. You just saved yourself like $2k.

I know. I have great taste lol.

That copper seems like it would be a total pain in the ass too.

But I really like the crisp white look
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990 03-18-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9511446)
The reason you've had so many troubles is because Lowes and Home Depot pay their contractors about 1/3rd of what I need to make on a job. I couldn't survive if I had to live off their labor wages. So, guess who you get working on those jobs? I'm not saying every one of my guys pisses clean but I make sure they aren't using crap on my job site.

Ive used Lowes a few times with no problems.......but yea, its the nature of your line of work. Its not exactly a profession that draws "high character" guys. No offense. Ill bet its tough finding dependable, hard working guys.

BigRedChief 03-18-2013 07:28 PM

Going to replace the countertops in our new place. We went and looked at top end granite/quartz counter top places last week. Went to Ikea. You can't get granite down here for $49 with installation. Unless its remnant or plain. Most are $59-$89. Quartz is $100.

We here negatives about every option.

Phobia 03-18-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9512036)
Ive used Lowes a few times with no problems.......but yea, its the nature of your line of work. Its not exactly a profession that draws "high character" guys. No offense. Ill bet its tough finding dependable, hard working guys.

Even the good ones I want to keep around have their fair share of issues. I mean, I do too but I'm not a drunk, druggy, felon, single-parent, no transportation, kind of guy. Every single laborer/carpenter/painter/drywaller/mason in this business has some kind of red-flag issue that makes them difficult to employ. It's brutal.