ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Russell Wilson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258337)

Direckshun 04-16-2012 08:52 PM

There's no better interview on Gruden's QB camp this year than Cousins.

Not saying I want him in Red & Gold, but facts are facts.

O.city 04-16-2012 08:54 PM

I didn't watch the interview, I did see him throwing and it wasn't pretty.

melbar 04-16-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8547157)
For me, Qbs in the NFL have to be exceptional at something to survive. Not good, but top shelf great.

Manning is smart and accurate. Brady has the same things with a little more arm strength. Rodgers has a cannon. Stafford has a mega cannon. Cam has talent oozing out of everywhere.

I don't see that with most of these smart qbs. I guess they bring smarts, which by all means is great but it's tough to get by on that alone.

This guy had the highest QB rating in the NCAA, and the highest TD to INT percentage. He's got a great arm and known to be deadly accurate. He's a little more than just cerebral.

O.city 04-16-2012 08:58 PM

He's short with not alot of arm strength that succeeded in a run heavy offense. I'm thinking you need to take the homer glasses off.

To me, he seems like a more athletic Chase Daniel.

melbar 04-16-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8547200)
He's short with not alot of arm strength that succeeded in a run heavy offense. I'm thinking you need to take the homer glasses off.

I could care less about wisconsin. Every analisis of the guy says he has a cannon and can "flick" the ball 50 yards on a scramble. Second only to RG3 in this draft.

O.city 04-16-2012 09:08 PM

He doesn't have a bad arm, but it's no Stafford. Of course, not many guys have those types of arms.

I just don't see him as being anything more than a backup.

Nightfyre 04-16-2012 09:10 PM

From what I've seen of the Cousins interview, it wasn't nearly as good as Wilson's. And I think O City is crazy if he thinks he lacks arm strength. He routinely chucks the ball 50 yards down field and hits receivers in stride. He also can put a ball on a rope. :shrug: Further, he played behind one of the biggest lines in college football. The chiefs line is smaller. I think his high release and ability to see the field will mitigate shortness.

melbar 04-16-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8547182)
There's no better interview on Gruden's QB camp this year than Cousins.

Not saying I want him in Red & Gold, but facts are facts.

Eager to see all of it. Cousins still doesnt have the arm, decision making or accuracy of Wilson. Great guy though.

O.city 04-16-2012 09:15 PM

Wilson was a great college quarterback. Had a great year at Wisconsin. He played baseball in the minors iirc, he has a good arm. It's nothing really special.

He's 5 foot 10 though.

Again, I see him as a slightly more talented Chase Daniel or Troy Smith. I think he will make a good backup and possibly be a guy that starts someday.

But thats pretty unlikely.

BryanBusby 04-16-2012 09:18 PM

Cousins is gonna be an awesome back up QB that comes in and throws checkdowns to preserve the win.

melbar 04-16-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8547243)
From what I've seen of the Cousins interview, it wasn't nearly as good as Wilson's. And I think O City is crazy if he thinks he lacks arm strength. He routinely chucks the ball 50 yards down field and hits receivers in stride. He also can put a ball on a rope. :shrug: Further, he played behind one of the biggest lines in college football. The chiefs line is smaller. I think his high release and ability to see the field will mitigate shortness.

Exactly. Gruden was agreeing that seeing lanes, knowledge of what the defense is doing and anticipation are the keys to success.

Urc Burry 04-16-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 8547271)
Exactly. Gruden was agreeing that seeing lanes, knowledge of what the defense is doing and anticipation are the keys to success.

Being 5'10 isn't.

Nightfyre 04-16-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8547257)
Wilson was a great college quarterback. Had a great year at Wisconsin. He played baseball in the minors iirc, he has a good arm. It's nothing really special.

He's 5 foot 10 though.

Again, I see him as a slightly more talented Chase Daniel or Troy Smith. I think he will make a good backup and possibly be a guy that starts someday.

But thats pretty unlikely.

Chase Daniels came from a pure spread system. Russell Wilson has mastered two pro-style systems in two years. Troy Smith threw with a 3/4 delivery and had a helluva windup. Troy Smith didn't read defenses, either. He just broke them down with his legs. This is why player comparisons are stupid. Evaluate each individual on his own merit.

melbar 04-16-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 8547279)
Being 5'10 isn't.

Not to split hairs, but 5' 10 7/8. Thats 1 1/8th shorter than Brees. pretty close to 5' 11

melbar 04-16-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 8547279)
Being 5'10 isn't.

Maybe I'm crazy, but "cant read defenses", "never ran a pro-offense" and "cant throw the ball 20 yards" are bigger issues.