ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money What would you do? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248829)

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7844204)
I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure of that. Good point, though.

It's almost certainly either debt forgiveness or straight income. Both of those are taxable.

DaFace 08-22-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7844209)
It's almost certainly either debt forgiveness or straight income. Both of those are taxable.

Yeah, you could be right. Still, it seems odd that a tax-supported program would be taxable. For example, we took advantage of the $8k tax credit for our house a few years back, and the $8k was NOT taxable.

Mike in SW-MO 08-22-2011 09:38 PM

If the program is loan forgiveness, then you should take option #1. You borrowed the money and you owe it. You should pay it back.

If the program is contracted benefit to attract a qualified employee, then go modified option 2 with payoff cash in an account ready to go. Debilitating injury/illness in year 4 would really stink. If this is from a locality watch out for severence right before they have to pay out.

I am big fan of free market. If they need that incentive to attract good people then go for it. If that is part of her compensation package, then she deserves every penny.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7844211)
Yeah, you could be right. Still, it seems odd that a tax-supported program would be taxable. For example, we took advantage of the $8k tax credit for our house a few years back, and the $8k was NOT taxable.

That's essentially a write-off. A tax deduction isn't taxable, but income (eg; SS benefits) is.

cdcox 08-22-2011 09:40 PM

According to this link, it probably would not be taxable:

http://www.finaid.org/loans/forgivenesstaxability.phtml

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO (Post 7844214)
If the program is loan forgiveness, then you should take option #1. You borrowed the money and you owe it. You should pay it back.

If the program is contracted benefit to attract a qualified employee, then go modified option 2 with payoff cash in an account ready to go. Debilitating injury/illness in year 4 would really stink. If this is from a locality watch out for severence right before they have to pay out.

I am big fan of free market. If they need that incentive to attract good people then go for it. If that is part of her compensation package, then she deserves every penny.

This isn't a handout. It's a way to attract qualified people to areas of need. You should absolutely take advantage of that. It's like the GI bill for teachers in low-income and/or high-need areas.

You wouldn't go through the military and then go "I really shouldn't let them pay for my college". That would be insane. It's part of the deal you signed onto.

DaFace 08-22-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO (Post 7844214)

The program is designed to get people to go into high-need areas, such as special education, math, and science, and it's especially targeted at high need schools as well. So yes, it's an incentive program. However, it didn't make any difference in her choice of school for the most part. She gets a kick out of helping the kids who need it most.

Still, I couldn't care less whether she "deserves" it or not. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm not a huge fan of stuff like this, but I pay for it in my own taxes, so I'm sure as hell not going to say no if it's to my financial advantage.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7844222)
The program is designed to get people to go into high-need areas, such as special education, math, and science, and it's especially targeted at high need schools as well. So yes, it's an incentive program. However, it didn't make any difference in her choice of school for the most part. She gets a kick out of helping the kids who need it most.

Still, I couldn't care less whether she "deserves" it or not. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm not a huge fan of stuff like this, but I pay for it in my own taxes, so I'm sure as hell not going to say no if it's to my financial advantage.

Why wouldn't you be a fan of it? It's simple supply and demand. There is more demand for certain positions than there is supply, so the price has to go up. Because of unions, the salaries can't go up directly, so they have to go about it a different way.

Working for 5 years in order to get $17,500 in extra compensation isn't like taking welfare. There's a reason that they can't fill these positions.

DaFace 08-22-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 7844217)
According to this link, it probably would not be taxable:

http://www.finaid.org/loans/forgivenesstaxability.phtml

Cool. Good to know.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7844236)
Cool. Good to know.

Woo Hoo

DaFace 08-22-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7844232)
Why wouldn't you be a fan of it? It's simple supply and demand. There is more demand for certain positions than there is supply, so the price has to go up. Because of unions, the salaries can't go up directly, so they have to go about it a different way.

Working for 5 years in order to get $17,500 in extra compensation isn't like taking welfare. There's a reason that they can't fill these positions.

Eh, her district is one of the highest-paying districts in the state already - partially due to the fact that they have such high demand. I'm just generally not a huge fan of subsidy programs in general. Nothing against this one in particular.

Buehler445 08-22-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7843565)
Cool - glad to hear someone else has thought about this same situation. And your point about setting it aside somewhere we can get to it is a good one. I suppose that, rather than socking it into an IRA or similar, we could put it into something a little more liquid just in case we needed to dump it in a hurry somewhere down the line.

This is what I would do. You can't have enough cash laying around. If you want to remodel you kitchen or your basement leaks or something stupid, you don't want all your money in an IRA.

wazu 08-22-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7844206)
Nothing is changed. You keep paying the monthly payment during those 5 years, so there is no reason for collectors to call. The question isn't whether or not he should stop paying. The question is whether he should just pay the whole thing off and be done with it.

Got it. I want to change my vote now.

KurtCobain 08-22-2011 10:50 PM

What would I do if I was you?

Get off Chiefsplanet and **** my hot wife.

Earthling 08-23-2011 03:28 AM

I would try to figure out what the talking heads and financial gurus would do if this was put in the context of a national debt. Then I would do the opposite.