ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Your Alaska trivia for the day. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228126)

Cntrygal 12-30-2018 06:11 AM

I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB back in the 90s and lived in Anchorage for awhile before moving to Eagle River.

JD10367 12-30-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cntrygal (Post 13993801)
I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB back in the 90s and lived in Anchorage for awhile before moving to Eagle River.

Were you the panicked guy on the speakerphone when the fake missiles hit in “War Games”?

Red Dawg2 12-30-2018 07:30 AM

I hate Alaska. Lived there for 4 years. Too cold and boring.

frozenchief 12-30-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cntrygal (Post 13993801)

You still live in ER?

frozenchief 12-30-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg2 (Post 13993846)
I hate Alaska. Lived there for 4 years. Too cold and boring.

I’m glad to see this. Your attitude helps keep the population down.

Cntrygal 12-30-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 13994402)
You still live in ER?

Sadly, no. :(

I'm currently in South Dakota. I often think about just packing up the truck and heading northwest though.

mr. tegu 12-30-2018 01:35 PM

We are looking to take an Alaska trip in the late summer. There is so much that we want to do so I’m thinking at least 10 days. Given that time frame it will definitely be more expensive than I was hoping. But we definitely are thinking Denali, Kenai, a train ride, a short cruise in Kenai, and the northern lights. Plus a variety of things like hiking and maybe kayaking. Can that be done in that time frame? We are thinking a car rental but I don’t really have a good sense of how long activities or travel between them would take.

scho63 12-30-2018 01:58 PM

If you stand on Sarah Palin's porch you can see Russia - that's pretty neat

Rain Man 12-30-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredSeniorChief (Post 13993725)
Longtime Lurker, First Post.

I retired from the Coast Guard here in Alaska. Seen a lot of the state from the N. Slope to the SE to the Aleutians from sea, land and air. Its not for everyone, you basically need to like the outdoors to live up here. I live for the summer, but enjoy the winter its quiet and peaceful; both the bears and the tourists are gone for the season. The high excitement for me today was the clearing of the 8 inches of overnight snow. BTW, grew up in Kansas and went to K-State (pre-Snyder).

I bet the bears like the peace and quiet as well.

Rain Man 12-30-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 13994480)
We are looking to take an Alaska trip in the late summer. There is so much that we want to do so I’m thinking at least 10 days. Given that time frame it will definitely be more expensive than I was hoping. But we definitely are thinking Denali, Kenai, a train ride, a short cruise in Kenai, and the northern lights. Plus a variety of things like hiking and maybe kayaking. Can that be done in that time frame? We are thinking a car rental but I don’t really have a good sense of how long activities or travel between them would take.

Three words: Kodiak bear tour.

It's one of the coolest things I've ever done.

frozenchief 12-30-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 13994480)

That’s a lot in 10 days and seeing northern lights in the summer is hard. Too much daylight. I’d think 2 weeks. PM me and I’ll help you set up your trip. I’ll give you good places to stay and to do.

MAG 12-30-2018 04:14 PM

I went to Alaska a few summers ago and it was amazing. Landed on a glacier, visited with an Iditarod dog team, saw grizzly bears, caught Salmon, and other manly shit. The only thing that would drive me crazy living there is the bizarre lighting. It would be midnight and totally sunny out.

TIED5573 12-30-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6754686)
If you've never been there, you should go. After going there, the Rockies and natural beauty in the lower 48 seem really, really inferior.

We went this year and you run out of adjectives trying to describe the beauty.