ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Should the Chiefs have drafted Aaron Rodgers over Derrick Johnson? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188932)

CoMoChief 08-11-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4908528)
Unless you think that Linebacker is the next Derrick Thomas, there is no way you can value an outside Linebacker over a potential franchise QB.

23 other teams passed on Rodgers. Derrick Johnson fell to the 15th pick which was a ****in miracle that happened.

When Detroit selected Mike Williams I jumped out of my chair knowing that DJ would fall to KC.

Demonpenz 08-11-2008 11:03 PM

The thing that sucks is every year a player is "just another guy" is another year closer to an acl tear or something that keeps him out a year. What was supposed to be a breakout years ends in pain and so and so is carted off the field, doctors say he may never be the player he was...even if that player wasn't that great

Buehler445 08-11-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4908773)
It's because of the value placed on that position, if you take a devalued position really high he has to be above the general player.

If you take a Guard in the first round he has to be Steve Hutchinson for the pick to be worth it.

That wasn't the question. The opening thread didn't ask if we should take a LB over a QB in 2005. The question asked if we are better with DJ than we would be with Aaron Rogers.

The guy has played one game, and broke his goddamned foot. If DJ has a Donnie Edwards type career and Aaron Rogers has a Joey Harrington type career, DJ is the better deal. Those aren't huge reaches for either player. But at this point, it doesn't matter one bit what position they were drafted or whether it is a devalued position or any of that shit. It's pretty simple IMO. If DJ contributes more to winning than does Rogers, he's the better deal. Who gives a flying feces if they were a devalued pick?

It doesn't matter at this point anyways. Rogers hans't done anything but break himself. To come to any conclusion now is rediculous.

crazycoffey 08-11-2008 11:07 PM

nuthooks...

Spicy McHaggis 08-11-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 4908506)
The 2005 Draft was a flop for just about everybody except a handful of teams.

God, you're right. Unless some of those guys turn it around soon that first round was awful.

Ugly Duck 08-12-2008 12:45 AM

Dang.... you ChiefsFanz is hard to please! Derrick freakin Johnson falls to you in the draft and you question the pick. Heck - I'd trade Thomas Horward for DJ straight up in a minute. Thomas Howard is what he is, DJ has way more up side. He has the talent potential to be a star. I think it would be fantastic for KC to give up on DJ at this point in his career! Just make sure you trade him outside the division....

JuicesFlowing 08-12-2008 01:55 AM

I'm glad the Chiefs drafted DJ.

mikey23545 08-12-2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4908521)
You have bad drafts placing need above all...

Oh, so taking Johnson was a reach?

You are so full of shit.

PhillyChiefFan 08-12-2008 05:08 AM

Hindsight's 20/20. I like Johnson, I think he will be a big leader along with Dorsey on the defense.

Rodgers will be a good QB, but personally I liked our pick then and I like it still.

blueballs 08-12-2008 07:11 AM

shit
after all the trouble we had with the last Aa

Deberg_1990 08-12-2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Duck (Post 4908886)
Dang.... you ChiefsFanz is hard to please! Derrick freakin Johnson falls to you in the draft and you question the pick. Heck - I'd trade Thomas Horward for DJ straight up in a minute. Thomas Howard is what he is, DJ has way more up side. He has the talent potential to be a star. I think it would be fantastic for KC to give up on DJ at this point in his career! Just make sure you trade him outside the division....

DJ is a solid player, but at this point he is not spectacular.

The question should be: Do you value a potential franchise QB over a solid outside linebacker?

Messier 08-12-2008 07:28 AM

I wouldn't want to have Aaron Rogers and no DJ. I don't think Rogers is that much better than Croyle. And this D is counting on DJ. He is now the best player on the defense.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-12-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4908692)
To be a LB like Johnson to make his pick worth it he has to become Keith Bulluck and Bulluck right now is one of the very best OLB's in the league.

Keith Bulluck is also entering into his 9th year in the league and didn't do squat his first couple seasons. Compared to what Bulluck did his first 3 years, DJ is WELL ahead. Who's to say that DJ won't continue to get better, just as it took Bulluck 3 years to even get major playing time.

RealSNR 08-12-2008 10:01 AM

Uhhh huhhhh. Right.

So I'd rather have Brodie Croyle than Aaron Rodgers at this point. What does that mean in relation to Johnson, who has started for how many consecutive years on this team and made great plays for equally as long?

el borracho 08-12-2008 10:01 AM

What has Aaron Rodgers done to date? Aaron Rodgers is so great that the pack drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round this year.