ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs GM: Eric Berry's battle with cancer going well (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291522)

gblowfish 03-26-2015 09:24 AM

The Chiefs have dealt with this admirably. I just hope EB can have a normal healthy life, really don't care if he ever plays football again. That's pretty low on the list right now.

DJ's left nut 03-26-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 11404278)
Dude, you have no compassion, no empathy for anyone judging by your posts over the years. A little emotion would do you good. And a better attitude.

And I have no recollection of you at all....ever.

So I'm okay here.

loochy 03-26-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11404280)

im not sure either

Hootie 03-26-2015 09:25 AM

I like how the Chiefs have handled it but clearly DJ has a point. That being said, I've lost my ability to debate this subject. Just don't care.

Mother****erJones 03-26-2015 09:27 AM

Berry is going nowhere. He's not being cut that's crazy. I'm not sure he'll ever play again but I'm just glad he's doing well.

loochy 03-26-2015 09:28 AM

Maybe they should have worked out some kind of thing like I have at work

short term disability = free 100% pay for the duration

long term disability = free 60% pay for the duration, or pay a bit out of my check every month to get 80% pay for the duration

BossChief 03-26-2015 09:32 AM

The Eagles had a situation like this with a player while Abdy Reid was there and they NFId him and paid him half.

O.city 03-26-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 11404271)
A lot of bad things happen every day using the excuse "it's a business". It's a BILLION DOLLAR business that can afford to pay a guy that has given the team so much.

And alot of businesses fail because they let emotion cloud judgement.

It's a bottom line business.

loochy 03-26-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11404307)
The Eagles had a situation like this with a player while Abdy Reid was there and they NFId him and paid him half.

That's quite a fair move in my view. The dude isn't left out there to rot and the organization isn't paying full price for a worker that isn't working.

DaneMcCloud 03-26-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11404251)
Why do you think Aflac exists?

If you're a truck driver and you get cataracts that blind you, making you completely incapable of driving a truck, just how many employers do you think are going to just pay you to sit at home? If you're a line worker and you end up getting paralyzed as a result of meningitis; how many companies are going to just keep sending you your paychecks more than a year later?

Pretty much none.

This isn't just an illness thing as it would be for you and I. This is an illness that makes you completely incapable of doing your job in any capacity. You can't compare this to you or I getting cancer - rather you have to have analogs similar to the ones above. If you're working in an environment with scarce resources (here it's cap, in the above analogs consider a break even profit margin), these are the decisions a business has to make.

There's an entire industry dedicated to paying people who come down with illness/injury that makes them incapable of doing their job on a long-term basis and you think I'm the one that's unreasonable?

You're welcome to let raw emotion cloud your judgment. You're right - you wouldn't be working for me.

Exactly.

When my wife was diagnosed with cancer and missed months of work, her employer didn't continue to pay her for not working. We had to file a claim with Hartford (which was a big pain in the ass because the office manager of the oncologist kept "forgetting" to file the paperwork properly) who covered her salary during the absence.

I'm sure that all Chiefs fans feel for Eric Berry, his diagnosis, treatment and recovery. But the Chiefs organization shouldn't be responsible for a non-football illness and lose valuable Salary Cap space because of his condition because it makes them less competitive to do so.

DaneMcCloud 03-26-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 11404271)
A lot of bad things happen every day using the excuse "it's a business". It's a BILLION DOLLAR business that can afford to pay a guy that has given the team so much.

Regardless of the business, it's not good business for the Chiefs to take a $5 million dollar cap hit because of Berry's situation.

It makes them less competitive to pay a man who can't play.

Discuss Thrower 03-26-2015 10:59 AM

Work out a deal with the sanction of the NFLPA and the 31 other teams where Berry receives the money he's guaranteed by his current contract but be exempted from the salary cap as long as Berry isn't capable of playing football.

DJ's left nut 03-26-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11404514)
Work out a deal with the sanction of the NFLPA and the 31 other teams where Berry receives the money he's guaranteed by his current contract but be exempted from the salary cap as long as Berry isn't capable of playing football.

Sean Taylor was murdered and the Skins got no cap relief.

The 31 other teams won't sign off on such a deal.

Discuss Thrower 03-26-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11404550)
Sean Taylor was murdered and the Skins got no cap relief.

The 31 other teams won't sign off on such a deal.

Not that it would happen, but the FO can claim the NFL is being hypocritical in doing the annual Pink fest for cancer but won't actually do anything for a player with cancer...

ToxSocks 03-26-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11404467)
Regardless of the business, it's not good business for the Chiefs to take a $5 million dollar cap hit because of Berry's situation.

It makes them less competitive to pay a man who can't play.

Then consider it a $5mill PR move and act of good faith.

It's ok to sometimes not treat people like a piece of property.

I understand that it's a business. But if a business wants to be charitable, then im fine with that too.