ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink CP Home Brewing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297099)

Groves 12-31-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 11987622)
My wife has some blackberry and raspberry bushes in the back yard, how many does it typically take for a 5 gal batch and what yeast do you use?

Depending on the body you want, you need 3-6lbs of berries per gallon of wine. I use Lalvin 1122 for my yeast.

It's easy enough to do just a 1 gallon batch if you want.

Strongside 12-31-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 11988119)
Same here. I'd like to know where he found it because they aren't exactly giving the stainless conical fermenters away.

If you're in KC, both Bacchus & Barleycorn and Grain to Glass carry them in stock.

Groves 12-31-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 11988119)
Same here. I'd like to know where he found it because they aren't exactly giving the stainless conical fermenters away.

They don't exactly give the plastic ones away either.

Down here in Springfield (Where all the good CP gatherings happen), we go to www.homebrewery.com in Ozark to get them.

DMAC 12-31-2015 07:05 PM

One Gallon at a time? You do all that shit for one damn gallon?

SON. Get an outdoor burner and a 7 gallon or so brewpot (turkey fryer set up works for me)

Get a 7 gallon fermenting bucket from a homebrew site.

AT LEAST!

Groves 12-31-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 11988705)
One Gallon at a time? You do all that shit for one damn gallon?

SON. Get an outdoor burner and a 7 gallon or so brewpot (turkey fryer set up works for me)

Get a 7 gallon fermenting bucket from a homebrew site.

AT LEAST!

Relax. The dude said, "My wife has some blackberry and raspberry bushes in the back yard." He may just not have 40lbs of berries to devote. Just letting him know he can start small if he wants.

Ever make 7 gallons of brew/wine that sucks? 1 gallon batches can prevent that if you want to make sure you're dialed in first.

I'm with you, I've never made 1 gallon batches, but lots of folks do.

Strongside 01-01-2016 01:45 AM

I like to experiment first. I'm past the pre made recipe kits, so locking in a solid recipe in a 1-gallon batch is crucial for me before brewing a bigger volume. I've never done wine, though.

DMAC 01-01-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groves (Post 11988716)
Relax. The dude said, "My wife has some blackberry and raspberry bushes in the back yard." He may just not have 40lbs of berries to devote. Just letting him know he can start small if he wants.

Ever make 7 gallons of brew/wine that sucks? 1 gallon batches can prevent that if you want to make sure you're dialed in first.

I'm with you, I've never made 1 gallon batches, but lots of folks do.

Hey. You relax. Buddy.

Marcellus 01-02-2016 09:09 AM

Here is my brewing set up. I have a counter flow chiller and a March pump to use for cooling and moving wart around.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g...sovsxycdd.jpeg

HLT n the left, boil kettle in the middle, and mash tun on the right.

Sorce 01-02-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11988278)
Soo, this thread has motivated me to get busy brewing. Where does everyone buy their supplies? Any good online shops for an extract kit?

I used to go to Lee's Summit but they closed a few years ago.

I go to grains an taps in Lee's Summit
http://grainsandtaps.com/

Some of the equipment I have shopped for online to get better deals.

Saccopoo 01-02-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11987142)
Also, hoppier stuff is going to fall off faster as far as shelf life.

?

Hops was primarily used as a preservative. They should last longer.

Marcellus 01-02-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11990880)
?

Hops was primarily used as a preservative. They should last longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 11987781)
Hops are a preservative, but dry hops add flavor and aroma that will dissipate over time. That doesn't change their preservative abilities but the flavor and aroma definitely go away fairly quick.

IPA's should be drank fairly quick. Thats why Stone has all those beers call "Enjoy By - X _Date".

Open a year old Hopslam and tell what it tastes like. You will wish you enjoyed it much much sooner.

The only beers that fare well aging are big beers with lower IBU and non dryhopped beers like barleywines, stouts, quads etc...

KCUnited 01-02-2016 11:58 AM

Now I understand the funny looks when checking for dates at the liquor store.

Wilson8 01-02-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11988278)
Soo, this thread has motivated me to get busy brewing. Where does everyone buy their supplies? Any good online shops for an extract kit?

I used to go to Lee's Summit but they closed a few years ago.

That business did close but now two local guys have been in business in downtown LS for a couple of years. They are on Douglas Street between the bike shop and the dance studio. It's a small place but you can buy brewing supplies, get advice on brewing, and get a craft beer and watch the Chiefs on TV.

cdcox 01-02-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 11990684)
Here is my brewing set up. I have a counter flow chiller and a March pump to use for cooling and moving wart around.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g...sovsxycdd.jpeg

HLT n the left, boil kettle in the middle, and mash tun on the right.

Nice set up.

From my very first batch I have only brewed all grain. It can be a royal pain with makeshift equipment. I got to the point that I was either going to get a set up like yours or drop out the hobby. I ended up dropping out and that was like 10 years ago.

Marcellus 01-02-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11991206)
Nice set up.

From my very first batch I have only brewed all grain. It can be a royal pain with makeshift equipment. I got to the point that I was either going to get a set up like yours or drop out the hobby. I ended up dropping out and that was like 10 years ago.

Yea its hard to do all grain without decent equipment. I actually got lucky and got both kegs for free.

That being said I probably still have probably $1000 in my brewing equipment. The quick disconnect fittings are the best investment I ever made but they weren't cheap.

Brew in a bag is actually fairly easy and takes about half the equipment but the efficiency is much lower. I still consider doing that ever now and then since its so simple.