ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****OFFICIAL 2013 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272221)

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-03-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9727922)
I'm not convinced he stays with the Heat...but it doesn't matter. He can win by himself. And the idea you think he's going to rapidly decline? Hahahahaha.

He's a freak of nature. One of a kind. Has he EVER been injured?

You're a joke.

LeBron is getting at least 5, and all in a row.

He may get 8 or 9. He's the best player since Jordan...if not better than Jordan.

And I'm a Jordan diehard.

This is a tad over the top.

One year Jordan averaged 37 PPG in a league that allowed hand checking on the perimeter. That would be like scoring 45 PPG in this NBA.

Hammock Parties 06-03-2013 11:20 PM

LeBron won't beat the Spurs, and won't ever win another championship.

Spurs in 5.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-03-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9727962)
Yeah, I'm quite sure he'll be gone if Wade and Bosh keep trending this way. Off to somewhere with younger secondary stars.

In the irony of ironies, the Cavs could not be a better fit for LeBron at this point, especially if they pick Noel and he ends up being an athletic 5 who can alter shots and rebound.

Pitt Gorilla 06-04-2013 12:36 AM

Trivia: Who is the all-time NBA leader in scoring average for Game 7's?

RealSNR 06-04-2013 12:45 AM

The moment Jordan retired, everybody and their mothers biiiiiiiiitched and bitched and bitched and bitched about the quality of the league. No studs. No stars. Nothing to watch. Bunch of overpaid guys who don't try hard. Not even Shaq and Kobe were good enough for some people.

Now we've got a league with all kinds of budding stars, led by Lebron freakin' James, and people still aren't impressed?

Look, the NFL doesn't have Barry Sanders or Walter Payton, but it DOES have Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles. Sports change. They adapt to trends and new winning strategies. Players change. They train differently. They learn the game differently.

Get over it.

ThaVirus 06-04-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9728065)
Trivia: Who is the all-time NBA leader in scoring average for Game 7's?

Lebron over MJ by .1 PPG if I remember the ESPN graphic correctly.

KC_Connection 06-04-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9728066)
The moment Jordan retired, everybody and their mothers biiiiiiiiitched and bitched and bitched and bitched about the quality of the league. No studs. No stars. Nothing to watch. Bunch of overpaid guys who don't try hard. Not even Shaq and Kobe were good enough for some people.

Now we've got a league with all kinds of budding stars, led by Lebron freakin' James, and people still aren't impressed?

Look, the NFL doesn't have Barry Sanders or Walter Payton, but it DOES have Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles. Sports change. They adapt to trends and new winning strategies. Players change. They train differently. They learn the game differently.

Get over it.

It's just nostalgia for an era gone past. In another 20 years, people will be looking back at this one in a similar way I'm sure.

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9727855)
Vegas has the Heat at 67% chance of winning the Finals.

no shit, I'd take that line

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9728071)
It's just nostalgia for an era gone past. In another 20 years, people will be looking back at this one in a similar way I'm sure.

Not nostalgia the skill level has dropped off and there isn't that many super stars compared to when I was growing up.

Deberg_1990 06-04-2013 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Why the Spurs are clearly the superior team

Hootie 06-04-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9728009)
This is a tad over the top.

One year Jordan averaged 37 PPG in a league that allowed hand checking on the perimeter. That would be like scoring 45 PPG in this NBA.

But that's not LeBron's game...Jordan forced shots, LeBron doesn't

Hootie 06-04-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9728018)
LeBron won't beat the Spurs, and won't ever win another championship.

Spurs in 5.

I'll bet you three months worth of thread starting privileges the Heat win at least three games.

tk13 06-04-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9729527)
But that's not LeBron's game...Jordan forced shots, LeBron doesn't

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here. When Jordan scored 37 PPG he was not a true perimeter player yet. Without handchecking he would've been unstoppable attacking the basket. His 37 PPG year he hit 12 threes the entire season, shot 48% from the field and attempted almost 1000 FTs. Imagine how many FTs he'd attempted if hand checking was a foul.

notorious 06-04-2013 07:42 PM

Jordan didn't flop.

He has that going for him, too.

ChiefsCountry 06-04-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9729571)
I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here. When Jordan scored 37 PPG he was not a true perimeter player yet. Without handchecking he would've been unstoppable attacking the basket. His 37 PPG year he hit 12 threes the entire season, shot 48% from the field and attempted almost 1000 FTs. Imagine how many FTs he'd attempted if hand checking was a foul.

I think Hootie is trying to say is Jordan always looked to score normally himself, LeBron always looks for the easiest way to score either through a shot or pass. LeBron has the Magic Johnson type apporach to the game.

tk13 06-04-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9728066)

Get over it.

I think there are plenty of good players and there's been a resurgence of talent. But I feel like some more guys need to take the next step and challenge LeBron. That's why Hootie's argument has some merit. I think at this point it's LeBron's league... but I'd never count out any team with Durant.

Part of it is probably the lack of big men. Robinson, Olajuwon... Shaq. Those guys would destroy this league today. Dwight Howard could be that good but he's too much of a headcase. Blake Griffin has the physical talent, but I don't know. The Clippers find a way to screw things up.

Hootie 06-04-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9729571)

dude you're not going to hear me ever bash Jordan

he's my all-time favorite athlete ever

now...I wasn't exactly privied to anything but his highlights of his 80's career.

I remember him being larger than life when I was FIRST old enough to retain memories during the Portland series in 1992.

and then I have my 10-13 year old memories of his 'mature' years...

so you're right...I didn't really get to athletic freak of nature Jordan at the peak of his prime because I was too young.

All I'm saying is...whatever I'm seeing with LeBron is the most physically gifted basketball player I've ever seen...

and I've always said in regards to arguing the NFL that I don't argue about Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana because I couldn't formulate my OWN opinion on those guys since I don't remember them playing (Montana I do, but not the REAL Montana).

I do know that all of the Kobe ballwashers on here are ****ing crazy and that Kobe isn't even in the same ****ing universe as either LeBron or Jordan.

Hootie 06-04-2013 07:56 PM

I just watch LeBron play and his vision impresses me more than any other aspect of his game...

oh that and the fact he's 6'8" and one of the fastest ****ing players on the court...or quickest...or both

he'll see a fast break developing and he'll be behind the break and before you know it he's there and he's getting the ally oop

it's ****ing ridiculous

but yeah, back to the vision...like I said, I don't remember Magic in his prime...or Magic Magic

but if he had THAT vision...or better vision than LeBron? JFC

LeBron makes passes that are just marvelous. It's just amazing to watch. I hate LeBron and the decision...I thought it was the worst ****ing thing I ever saw and I loved him choking/them losing that first year...

but he worked his ass off and developed his post game and his three pointer...and now he's just amazing to watch

he literally makes basketball exciting...him, Steph Curry and Durant are truly fun to watch...but LeBron is in a league of his own...he brings me back to my youth/Jordan days

lcarus 06-04-2013 07:57 PM

I hate Lebron with a passion, but I'm not gonna sit here and say he isn't one of the best athletes I've ever seen play the game. He's just a specimen.

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9729629)

but yeah, back to the vision...like I said, I don't remember Magic in his prime...or Magic Magic

That's right "JFC" Bird and Magic with their floor general skills were jaw dropping.

Pitt Gorilla 06-04-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9729629)
I just watch LeBron play and his vision impresses me more than any other aspect of his game...

oh that and the fact he's 6'8" and one of the fastest ****ing players on the court...or quickest...or both

he'll see a fast break developing and he'll be behind the break and before you know it he's there and he's getting the ally oop

it's ****ing ridiculous

LeBron makes passes that are just marvelous. It's just amazing to watch. I hate LeBron and the decision...I thought it was the worst ****ing thing I ever saw and I loved him choking/them losing that first year...

but he worked his ass off and developed his post game and his three pointer...and now he's just amazing to watch

he literally makes basketball exciting...him, Steph Curry and Durant are truly fun to watch...but LeBron is in a league of his own...he brings me back to my youth/Jordan days

magic was an insane passer.

tk13 06-04-2013 08:21 PM

No disagreement from me. LeBron is one of the best specimens of an athlete to play any major sport ever. I'd agree he's more of a pass first guy than Jordan for sure. But he doesn't have Magic or Bird's court vision. But no one does. That's not fair.

Of course the guy who gets left out of these discussions is John Stockton, which is too bad. LeBron is probably closer to Stockton... at least in style of play. Although that's tough to compare, Stockton was amazing.

notorious 06-04-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9729687)
No disagreement from me. LeBron is one of the best specimens of an athlete to play any major sport ever. I'd agree he's more of a pass first guy than Jordan for sure. But he doesn't have Magic or Bird's court vision. But no one does. That's not fair.

Of course the guy who gets left out of these discussions is John Stockton, which is too bad. LeBron is probably closer to Stockton... at least in style of play. Although that's tough to compare, Stockton was amazing.

Stockton had 2 HOF careers. Malone should thank John Stockton every day for his career.

KevB 06-04-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9728076)
Not nostalgia the skill level has dropped off and there isn't that many super stars compared to when I was growing up.

Ridiculous. Skill level is as high as it's ever been. The reason there aren't as many "stars" is that the differential in talent from the best players to the worst players is much closer today than it was during the time we were growing. Thus, it's more difficult to stand out as elite. Guys like Dave Corzine couldn't play in the NBA today, but was a starter for the Bulls early in Jordan't career.

Hootie 06-04-2013 08:30 PM

that's another thing

today's athlete is no doubt (and a lot of this has to do with the popularity MJ had with these stars in today's NBA) better than the typical athlete Jordan was facing in Jordan's prime

and you can say that about the NFL, too

which makes it really hard to compare everything...almost to the point that comparing eras is just impossible and we might as well just appreciate MJ for being MJ and LeBron for being LeBron (which is 100 X better than Kobe Bryant)

tk13 06-04-2013 08:31 PM

That's a great example. I guess that's what I mean. There are definitely more good players today. But if guys like Drexler, Stockton, Ewing, Robinson, Gary Payton, etc. won titles you wouldn't have been shocked by it. They were amazing players on the floor. I think right now we're kind of in that waiting area to see if guys like Chris Paul, Griffin, Paul George, Derrick Rose can reach that level.

lcarus 06-04-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9729708)
Ridiculous. Skill level is as high as it's ever been. The reason there aren't as many "stars" is that the differential in talent from the best players to the worst players is much closer today than it was during the time we were growing. Thus, it's more difficult to stand out as elite. Guys like Dave Corzine couldn't play in the NBA today, but was a starter for the Bulls early in Jordan't career.

It also seems like maybe there are more second-tier stars today. Guys that aren't quite elite. I don't remember everything about the 80s and 90s, and certainly don't know a ton about decades prior to that. So don't quote me on that one lol.

Deberg_1990 06-04-2013 08:31 PM

It will be interesting to see if they put Lebron on Parker. Parker struggles against bigger guards. If Parker gets loose the Spurs tend to win. if you keep him in check, the Spurs will struggle. This has the potential to be an all time series. I won't predict a winner, but I predict 7 games. Spurs split in Miami, Miami wins 1 in San Antonio. Miami wins game 6...then anything goes in game 7.

Hootie 06-04-2013 08:38 PM

that's what I said the last few days to my friends

**** it

put LeBron on Parker...I WATCHED with my own two eyes him shutdown MVP Derrick Rose when Derrick Rose was BEASTING through the playoffs...they put LeBron on him...and it was over. LeBron PWNED him.

Rose is quicker than Parker, so I know LeBron can do it. LeBron takes Parker out of this series? Heat win in 5.

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9729708)

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, either you have alzheimers or are delirious , the athletes are the same but the relative skill level isn't. For Example the Real Dream Team in 1992, yeah a who's who in HOF talent on one team outside of Lattener

Hootie 06-04-2013 08:45 PM

I'm sorry...

A LeBron led dream team right now with the right pieces around him could have beat that '92 dream team.

At the very least, it would have been a fight to the death.

Their only edge would have been Jordan's killer instinct. The only way they win a best of series was if THEN PRIMED Jordan just decided he wasn't going to lose no matter what.

Deberg_1990 06-04-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9729760)
What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, either you have alzheimers or are delirious , the athletes are the same but the relative skill level isn't. For Example the Real Dream Team in 1992, yeah a who's who in HOF talent on one team outside of Lattener

The 92 dream team was special and elite no doubt. But we tend to over romanticize players from the past because well.....it's the past. I'll bet there will be plenty of Hall of Fame players from the 2012 dream team as well.

dirk digler 06-04-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9729772)
I'm sorry...

A LeBron led dream team right now with the right pieces around him could have beat that '92 dream team.

At the very least, it would have been a fight to the death.

Their only edge would have been Jordan's killer instinct. The only way they win a best of series was if THEN PRIMED Jordan just decided he wasn't going to lose no matter what.

If you are comparing the 2012 team vs the 92 team I think the 92 wins mostly because the bigs of the 92 team would own the 2012 bigs.

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9729774)
The 92 dream team was special and elite no doubt. But we tend to over romanticize players from the past because well.....it's the past. I'll bet there will be plenty of Hall of Fame players from the 2012 dream team as well.

If you look at the lineups it isn't romanticizing at all. This was the way back when I knew all the players stats up and down. That's how much impact that the players of yesteryear had on the game. Now, it's eroding new defensive rules like zone being allowed, and the lost art of making FTs that's where I notice it most when the basics are being ignored. Players aren't as mentally tough in comparison to the stated players.

KC_Connection 06-04-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Nostalgia again.

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9729793)
Nostalgia again.

That's your rebuttal nice, name as many all-stars today that could take on the stars of the past on top of your head without looking it up.

dirk digler 06-04-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9729754)

**** it

put LeBron on Parker...I WATCHED with my own two eyes him shutdown MVP Derrick Rose when Derrick Rose was BEASTING through the playoffs...they put LeBron on him...and it was over. LeBron PWNED him.

Rose is quicker than Parker, so I know LeBron can do it. LeBron takes Parker out of this series? Heat win in 5.

Lebron said last night he might have to guard Parker but they are starting out putting Chalmers on him. Looking at it from a Heat perspective I just don't think you want Lebron chasing Parker all over the court

notorious 06-04-2013 09:02 PM

Let's not let emotion cloud true history. The Bulls got pushed to the brink a few times, and Jordan miss shots.

A lot of shots.

I was a huge Bulls fan, too.

I have been a Bulls fan since the Wooridge and Sellars days. Satellite TV was new to our house, and wild feed/unscrambled Chicago games were awesome.

No announcers, just Basketball and close-up shots of hot bitches in the crowd during TO's.

Most people have a hard time looking back and seeing how things really were.

-King- 06-04-2013 09:04 PM

Why would you put Chalmers on Parker? Parker will have 15 points in the first. I'd really consider starting Norris. He's 100% better defensively and his offense isn't that much worse than Chalmers.

KC_Connection 06-04-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9729812)
Why would you put Chalmers on Parker? Parker will have 15 points in the first. I'd really consider starting Norris. He's 100% better defensively and his offense isn't that much worse than Chalmers.

Chalmers' D is significantly better than Norris Cole (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2013.html), but neither can guard Parker. If they actually want to have a chance at stopping him, LeBron will have to do it (and I'm sure he will at the end of the game).

Hootie 06-04-2013 09:13 PM

I just ****ing put LeBron on him from the get go and say "game on"

it's the ****ing Finals

tk13 06-04-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9729809)
Let's not let emotion cloud true history. The Bulls got pushed to the brink a few times, and Jordan miss shots.

A lot of shots.

I have been a Bulls fan since the Wooridge and Sellars days. Satellite TV was new to our house, and wild feed/unscrambled Chicago games were awesome.

No announcers, just Basketball and close-up shots of hot bitches in the crowd during TO's.

I 100% agree with you. That works both ways though. People act like 20 years ago guys were a bunch of slow stiffs who could not handle today's athleticism. It's not true. Someone like Hootie would go on about how John Stockton would get run over today... it's not true. They just don't understand the game. Go ask Gary Payton about that. He was one of the best defensive guards of all time, still would be today... and I've seen multiple interviews where he said Stockton was the toughest player he played against. And he guarded Jordan and Kobe. Those guys would hold their own. And I like Tyson Chandler and Kevin Love, very good players... but they would get beat up by a Barkley/Malone/Ewing/Robinson frontcourt. That'd actually be the real problem with a dream team matchup, not LeBron vs. Jordan.

KC native 06-04-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

**** it

The Spurs movement on offense will prevent LeBron from taking Parker completely out of the series.

Hootie 06-04-2013 09:28 PM

dude that's fine...and I don't disagree

you have to understand...when I was 8-13 years old...the NFL was an afterthought for me...I used to watch every Bulls game on WGN and I'd get pumped for the weekend and the NBA on NBC...I'd ****ing sit in my living room and watch the games all day and shoot socks into a ****ing laundry hamper and pretend I was Michael ****ing Jordan

I'm just realistic. There were a billion black kids that would see MJ on TV from their shitty little projects and be like "holy ****" and now all of those kids have grown up (I'm 28) and the ones that wanted to emulate MJ and saw the NBA boom MJ caused have just turned into SUPER ****ING FREAKS...

I'm not saying the players today are better basketball players...fundamentally, it isn't close. I'm saying they are most likely far better athletes.

Again though...I think it's amazingly unfair to compare eras...and I don't like doing it. I appreciate the differences of both eras.

-King- 06-04-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9729831)
Chalmers' D is significantly better than Norris Cole (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2013.html), but neither can guard Parker. If they actually want to have a chance at stopping him, LeBron will have to do it (and I'm sure he will at the end of the game).

Don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at there but... http://www.nba.com/heat/news_recap/g...t-guarding-you

chiefzilla1501 06-04-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9729802)
Lebron said last night he might have to guard Parker but they are starting out putting Chalmers on him. Looking at it from a Heat perspective I just don't think you want Lebron chasing Parker all over the court

He's not going to guard him all game. He is going to get flat-out gassed. He could afford to do that with Rose because nobody else on the Bulls can score.

chiefzilla1501 06-04-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9729809)

A lot of shots.

Jordan hit 50% of his buzzer beaters and in his peak, he averaged 34-35 points per game in the playoffs. And he did that against a loaded Eastern Conference in a league where he played elite defenders with loose handchecking rules.

Jordan's playoff performance is probably untouchable. If he didn't play college ball and didn't quit basketball, he could have won more championships and possibly 8 straight.

Buck 06-04-2013 10:51 PM

So do you guys think that Lebron will be above or below whatever his current average in this postseason is for points?

I'm pretty excited that Kawhi is going to get a chance to cover Lebron in the finals. Kawhi is my favorite player in the NBA and the only reason I have an interest in any team other than the Lakers...

KC_Connection 06-04-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9729946)
Don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at there but... http://www.nba.com/heat/news_recap/g...t-guarding-you

DRtg and defensive win shares. Chalmers is significantly better in both than Cole (and has been the last two years). He's also the far superior offensive guard to him as well, so more minutes definitely should be going to him.

Not that either one of them has a chance at competing with Tony Parker this series.

KC_Connection 06-04-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9730043)
So do you guys think that Lebron will be above or below whatever his current average in this postseason is for points?

I'm pretty excited that Kawhi is going to get a chance to cover Lebron in the finals. Kawhi is my favorite player in the NBA and the only reason I have an interest in any team other than the Lakers...

About the same (26-27), I'm sure. Leonard will be no match defensively for LeBron (no shame in that, nobody is), but LeBron's best offensive games aren't always about how many points he scores.

Hammock Parties 06-04-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

What was cool was when LeBron couldn't stop Dirk from DESTROYING HIS WORLD.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/dirklebron.gif

KevB 06-04-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

I'm not arguing that the elite players from that era weren't great. They were, and they'd be great in any era generally speaking. However, their relative greatness has something to do with the fact that the depth of the league back then isn't close to what it is today. The bottom half of the league today is much better than it was then, so comparing the group of elite players is more difficult.

As for skill level, that's overhyped. Kids today, once they get to that level and spend a couple of years in the league, are every bit as skilled. The difference is that players back then spent more time in college than the elite players today, so the guys you're talking about were more mature to kick off their careers. Think about all the basketball junior high/high school guys play today - they get more coaching than ever. If anything, the league is more dependent on skills now than it was back then. This era expects their bigs to step out and hit perimeter shots, whereas big men back then sat on the block.

As has been stated, it's hard to compare eras for any number of reasons, but I've seen you talk about the league back then and it's clear dominance. While I give it the nod, I don't think the gap is what you think it is.

Hammock Parties 06-04-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Remember when Queen James got his ass Kinged by Jason Terry?

http://nsa28.casimages.com/img/2011/...2930416927.gif

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730083)
I'm not arguing that the elite players from that era weren't great. They were, and they'd be great in any era generally speaking. However, their relative greatness has something to do with the fact that the depth of the league back then isn't close to what it is today.

You are kidding me right, kids are one and done in college and expect to be Jordan and not polished at all. The depth and talent are all the same. I posted all the greats I named on top of head without looking from the 80's and early 90's without looking it up on the internet. You say the depth of talent isn't their but can machine gun all the modern day stars or as much as possible that could compete the guys of the past? People say well, the guys now would destroy the guys in the past because of competition. I immediately say name them all "right now" because I could name at least 20 on sheer memory that would still OWN the NBA.

KC native 06-04-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9730043)

Below. Kawhi's defense is stout. He won't stop LeBron but I don't think he'll be pulling more than one 35+ point game in the series.

chiefzilla1501 06-04-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730083)
I'm not arguing that the elite players from that era weren't great. They were, and they'd be great in any era generally speaking. However, their relative greatness has something to do with the fact that the depth of the league back then isn't close to what it is today. The bottom half of the league today is much better than it was then, so comparing the group of elite players is more difficult.

As for skill level, that's overhyped. Kids today, once they get to that level and spend a couple of years in the league, are every bit as skilled. The difference is that players back then spent more time in college than the elite players today, so the guys you're talking about were more mature to kick off their careers. Think about all the basketball junior high/high school guys play today - they get more coaching than ever. If anything, the league is more dependent on skills now than it was back then. This era expects their bigs to step out and hit perimeter shots, whereas big men back then sat on the block.

As has been stated, it's hard to compare eras for any number of reasons, but I've seen you talk about the league back then and it's clear dominance. While I give it the nod, I don't think the gap is what you think it is.

Players in the 80's were awesome fundamental players who could play all facets of the game (your guards were tremendous passers, defenders, decent rebounders, and effective enough scorers. Your bigs were terrific defenders, rebounders, and very effective post players). The 90's had lots of tremendous talent that could easily play today, and most of them were very well rounded.

If anything, I think players have gotten worse. Too many key players who refuse to play defense or can't pass or rebound worth a shit. Too many players who hold onto the ball for a century before getting rid of it. It should be no surprise that the 4 best teams in the NBA were "fundamentals" teams versus a collection of superstars. Many teams in the 80's and 90's were built like the Spurs and Pacers.

KevB 06-05-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9730104)
You are kidding me right, kids are one and done in college and expect to be Jordan and not polished at all. The depth and talent are all the same. I posted all the greats I named on top of head without looking from the 80's and early 90's without looking it up on the internet. You say the depth of talent isn't their but can machine gun all the modern day stars or as much as possible that could compete the guys of the past? People say well, the guys now would destroy the guys in the past because of competition. I immediately say name them all "right now" because I could name at least 20 on sheer memory that would still OWN the NBA.

If you think the depth and talent top to bottom is equal, not just the elite in each era (you've created a straw man here, I'm not arguing this point), then there's really no reason for us to discuss further.

In 5 to 10 years, when this "class" of players finishes their careers, you're going to find that the number of HOF players is going to be roughly equal to the era you're touting. Are we comparing 90's and 2000's? If I get the 2000's, I'll shotgun Duncan (best PF of all time), Kobe (top 10 all time), Shaq (arguably top 10 all time), LeBron (will be top 3 when he's done), Durant (sky is the limit), Paul (will be one of top 5 PGs all time), Garnett, Pierce, Ray Allen (best shooter all time), Wade, Dirk, Melo, Westbrook, Howard, Rose, Parker, etc. And there's plenty more young talent that could ascend like Curry, Kyrie, Love, Harden, George among others.

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730148)
If you think the depth and talent top to bottom is equal, not just the elite in each era (you've created a straw man here, I'm not arguing this point), then there's really no reason for us to discuss further.

In 5 to 10 years, when this "class" of players finishes their careers, you're going to find that the number of HOF players is going to be roughly equal to the era you're touting. Are we comparing 90's and 2000's? If I get the 2000's, I'll shotgun Duncan (best PF of all time), Kobe (top 10 all time), Shaq (arguably top 10 all time), LeBron (will be top 3 when he's done), Durant (sky is the limit), Paul (will be one of top 5 PGs all time), Garnett, Pierce, Ray Allen (best shooter all time), Wade, Dirk, Melo, Westbrook, Howard, Rose, Parker, etc. And there's plenty more young talent that could ascend like Curry, Kyrie, Love, Harden, George among others.

80s to early 90's and Shaq he'd be in my player range category

KevB 06-05-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9730143)
Players in the 80's were awesome fundamental players who could play all facets of the game (your guards were tremendous passers, defenders, decent rebounders, and effective enough scorers. Your bigs were terrific defenders, rebounders, and very effective post players). The 90's had lots of tremendous talent that could easily play today, and most of them were very well rounded.

If anything, I think players have gotten worse. Too many key players who refuse to play defense or can't pass or rebound worth a shit. Too many players who hold onto the ball for a century before getting rid of it. It should be no surprise that the 4 best teams in the NBA were "fundamentals" teams versus a collection of superstars. Many teams in the 80's and 90's were built like the Spurs and Pacers.

How about Magic? Was he a stout defender? Bird, great defender? Dantley, Gervin, Alex English, Dominique, Barkley.....??? There were plenty of premier players back then who weren't well-rounded, and defense was a rumor.

The biggest difference is that today's big guys aren't generally skilled as post scorers --- I'll agree on that point. But they're also generally more athletic and have the ability to hit perimeter shots. Karl Malone was considered a premier big man with his biggest weapon being the ability to consistently hit the 15 footer on the pick and pop. We have bigs today who are expected to consistently step out and knock down 20 footers. Guys like Garnett, Aldridge, Gasol, Dirk, etc. Just a bit different game in that respect.

chiefzilla1501 06-05-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

You have a pretty loose standard for what a hall of famer should be. No offense, but the majority of those shouldn't be hall of famers. And a bunch of those guys were every bit a part of the 90's era as they were in today's.

KevB 06-05-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9730150)
80s to early 90's and Shaq he'd be in my player range category

Shaq played from 92 to 08

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

http://work.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...postcount=3049

here's mine I won't name more because I've had more time to think about it.

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730154)
Shaq played from 92 to 08

yep still in my range, hell I was in 4th grade when Shaq came up

chiefzilla1501 06-05-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730152)
How about Magic? Was he a stout defender? Bird, great defender? Dantley, Gervin, Alex English, Dominique, Barkley.....??? There were plenty of premier players back then who weren't well-rounded, and defense was a rumor.

The biggest difference is that today's big guys aren't generally skilled as post scorers --- I'll agree on that point. But they're also generally more athletic and have the ability to hit perimeter shots. Karl Malone was considered a premier big man with his biggest weapon being the ability to consistently hit the 15 footer on the pick and pop. We have bigs today who are expected to consistently step out and knock down 20 footers. Guys like Garnett, Aldridge, Gasol, Dirk, etc. Just a bit different game in that respect.

You are talking about the exception, not the rule. There were a hell of a lot better fundamentals guys, defensive players, and passers in the 80's and 90's than there are today.

KevB 06-05-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9730153)
You have a pretty loose standard for what a hall of famer should be. No offense, but the majority of those shouldn't be hall of famers. And a bunch of those guys were every bit a part of the 90's era as they were in today's.

You seriously going to judge their credentials as they stand today? I'm going to go ahead and make the leap that 24 year olds like Durant, Rose, Westbrook, etc. may do some things between now and when they retire that will warrant some consideration beyond what they've currently accomplished.

As for the players I included....only Shaq isn't still playing. It's the year 2013. TW is talking about the 80's and 90's. If a guy is still playing, I'm going to say he's in my group. TW is cherry picking with roughly 20 years, with every player having already finished his career (and thus we know what's been accomplished). My group has 13 years, and there's plenty of young guys who are just beginning to move into their peak years.

KevB 06-05-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9730157)
You are talking about the exception, not the rule. There were a hell of a lot better fundamentals guys, defensive players, and passers in the 80's and 90's than there are today.

I picked from a top 20 list of the best players of the 1980's --- it's not as if I picked a bunch of no name guys. They weren't exceptions. Teams were generally offensive by nature in the 80's, and the best players of that decade make that clear.

KevB 06-05-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9730155)
http://work.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...postcount=3049

here's mine I won't name more because I've had more time to think about it.

It's a nice list of really good players. Give me 5 to 10 years when my list has also retired, and we'll see where we are. Many of the guys on your list are just guys, there's players in every era that match up. Daugherty, Price, Drexler, LJ, and Walton come to mind. Really good players, but not elite to the point that they stand above what came before or after them.

The irony here is that I guarantee nobody on this board watched more NBA games in the 80's and 90's than I did. I was an only child with cable television, a VCR and unhealthy love of sports. I have a profound respect and understanding of how good those players were. I just think people are undervaluing the quality of today's players.

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730162)
It's a nice list of really good players. Give me 5 to 10 years when my list has also retired, and we'll see where we are. Many of the guys on your list are just guys, there's players in every era that match up. Daugherty, Price, Drexler, LJ, and Walton come to mind. Really good players, but not elite to the point that they stand above what came before or after them.

The irony here is that I guarantee nobody on this board watched more NBA games in the 80's and 90's than I did. I was an only child with cable television, a VCR and unhealthy love of sports. I have a profound respect and understanding of how good those players were. I just think people are undervaluing the quality of today's players.

way back when I doubt that

chiefzilla1501 06-05-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730158)
You seriously going to judge their credentials as they stand today? I'm going to go ahead and make the leap that 24 year olds like Durant, Rose, Westbrook, etc. may do some things between now and when they retire that will warrant some consideration beyond what they've currently accomplished.

As for the players I included....only Shaq isn't still playing. It's the year 2013. TW is talking about the 80's and 90's. If a guy is still playing, I'm going to say he's in my group. TW is cherry picking with roughly 20 years, with every player having already finished his career (and thus we know what's been accomplished). My group has 13 years, and there's plenty of young guys who are just beginning to move into their peak years.

Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe aren't in this era. They are going to be in the HOF 10 years before most of the guys on this list. They are only on the list because they lasted a long time. More than anything, that's a testament. to superior rehab.

You are basing this entirely on PPG in an era where those stats are inflated by horrible defense and very strict rules on handchecking. Melo is not a hall of famer. He is our generation's Glen Rice. Wade and Pierce are borderline. They are the 90's version of Mitch Richmond. CP3... maybe, if he starts playing well in the playoffs. Ray Allen is not a hall of famer -- he is a worse version of Chris Mullen, who was a better scorer. Westbrook is this generation's version of Tim Hardaway. Howard is not a hall of famer. This era has some talent, but you're using a pretty loose standard for what constitutes a hall of famer. A good number of hall of famers will make it, but if you spread them out over when they are expected to retire, it's not like there's an unusual amount.

When you look at the hall of fame classes of the 90's and some of the really good snubs (Hardaway, Zo, Richmond, KJ, Aguirre, and more), there was plenty of talent in that era.

RealSNR 06-05-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9729615)
I think there are plenty of good players and there's been a resurgence of talent. But I feel like some more guys need to take the next step and challenge LeBron. That's why Hootie's argument has some merit. I think at this point it's LeBron's league... but I'd never count out any team with Durant.

Part of it is probably the lack of big men. Robinson, Olajuwon... Shaq. Those guys would destroy this league today. Dwight Howard could be that good but he's too much of a headcase. Blake Griffin has the physical talent, but I don't know. The Clippers find a way to screw things up.

Three words:

Nikola.

****ing.

Pekovic.

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9730165)
Three words:

Nikola.

****ing.

Pekovic.

Yep, Divac's old buddy who got shot and killed ( again on pure memory) correction that was Drazen Petrovich and just remembered that too

chiefzilla1501 06-05-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9710806)
MJ, Larry Magic, Worthy, Drexler,Ewing,Barkley,Drexler,Pippen,Mullen,Wilkins,Robinson, Reggie Miller, Walton, Olajuwon,Mourning,Isaih Thomas, Kenny Johnson, Larry Johnson before his knee injury,Brad Daugherty, Mark Price, Stockton, and Malone

that's literally is off of pure memory without looking it up and cheating.

Two parts of Run TMC (Hardaway, Richmond), Mark Aguirre, Joe Dumars (incredible defender), Glen Rice (their version of Melo), Horace Grant, Kevin McHale, Iverson, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Mutombo, Chris Webber, Sprewell,

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9730167)
Two parts of Run TMC (Hardaway, Richmond), Mark Aguirre, Joe Dumars (incredible defender), Glen Rice (their version of Melo), Horace Grant, Kevin McHale, Iverson, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Mutombo, Chris Webber, Sprewell,

Detlef Schrempf and Derek Coleman too

KevB 06-05-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9730164)
Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe aren't in this era. They are going to be in the HOF 10 years before most of the guys on this list. They are only on the list because they lasted a long time. More than anything, that's a testament. to superior rehab.

You are basing this entirely on PPG in an era where those stats are inflated by horrible defense and very strict rules on handchecking. Melo is not a hall of famer. He is our generation's Glen Rice. Wade and Pierce are borderline. They are the 90's version of Mitch Richmond. CP3... maybe, if he starts playing well in the playoffs. Ray Allen is not a hall of famer -- he is a worse version of Chris Mullen, who was a better scorer. Westbrook is this generation's version of Tim Hardaway. Howard is not a hall of famer. This era has some talent, but you're using a pretty loose standard for what constitutes a hall of famer. A good number of hall of famers will make it, but if you spread them out over when they are expected to retire, it's not like there's an unusual amount.

When you look at the hall of fame classes of the 90's and some of the really good snubs (Hardaway, Zo, Richmond, KJ, Aguirre, and more), there was plenty of talent in that era.

Shaq is arguable as he got started in the early 90's, but Duncan and Kobe had most of their success in the 2000's. How many years do I get to choose from.....5? You're pulling from 20-25 years?

As to your player comps, you're not making sense. When all is said and done, Melo will probably be this generation's Dominique Wilkins. Prime time scorer, never actually won anything. Their career stats are almost identical.

Wade and Pierce are borderline? Wade's career averages are 25/6/5/2/1 and he'll have at least four rings when all is said and done. Pierce is one of the greatest Celtics of all time.

Ray Allen is the best shooter the league has ever seen and has more 3's than anyone in history. Given his ring(s) and his stats through his peak years, he's a shoe in HOF guy. Oh, and go check the stats on Allen and Mullin at Basketball Reference and then get back to me.

CP3 does need more post-season success, but he's an historically elite PG who is still just 28.

Westbrook is Tim Hardaway? You have to be trolling at this point. Westbrook is 24 years old and he's already a better all-around player.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-05-2013 10:17 AM

Well a team that I hate is going to win yet another Championship. Time to start looking towards next year.

Rockets looking like they are passing LA as the favorite for Dwight Howard. T-Rob trade didn't work out as planned, but he has to have some value still, right? Still only lost Patrick Patterson, so no big deal. If they manage to get T-Rob off the books and land Howard, maybe they trade Asik (who deserves to start somewhere) and the Rockets could get a quality 4 for next year.

My preference might be Asik for KG. This would allow Terrance Jones (21), Montiejunas (23), and Greg Smith (22) to continue their growth off the bench. They all showed flashes and combined for nearly 2,000 minutes last year, but none are yet starters on a team that will want to contend for a title. KG with 25-30 minutes/game and the rotation of bigs will do just fine.

They could explore getting another vet. min guard for the Lin/Harden/Beverley rotation, but I think James Anderson could fill this role. He could play a little SF too. He needs to improve his 3-point shooting a little bit, but I like him as a player if they ask him to expand his role.

10-man rotation

PG- Lin/Beverley
SG- Harden/Anderson
SF- Parsons/Anderson/T. Jones
PF- KG/T. Jones/Motiejunas
C- Howard/G. Smith

Plan B
Howard stays in LA or goes to Dallas or something

Sign Josh Smith (meh)
Trade T-Rob
Add another shooter

PG- Lin/Beverley
SG- Harden/Anderson
SF- Parsons/FA/T. Jones
PF- J. Smith/T. Jones/Motiejunas
C- Asik/G. Smith

chiefzilla1501 06-05-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9730313)
Shaq is arguable as he got started in the early 90's, but Duncan and Kobe had most of their success in the 2000's. How many years do I get to choose from.....5? You're pulling from 20-25 years?

As to your player comps, you're not making sense. When all is said and done, Melo will probably be this generation's Dominique Wilkins. Prime time scorer, never actually won anything. Their career stats are almost identical.

Wade and Pierce are borderline? Wade's career averages are 25/6/5/2/1 and he'll have at least four rings when all is said and done. Pierce is one of the greatest Celtics of all time.

Ray Allen is the best shooter the league has ever seen and has more 3's than anyone in history. Given his ring(s) and his stats through his peak years, he's a shoe in HOF guy. Oh, and go check the stats on Allen and Mullin at Basketball Reference and then get back to me.

CP3 does need more post-season success, but he's an historically elite PG who is still just 28.

Westbrook is Tim Hardaway? You have to be trolling at this point. Westbrook is 24 years old and he's already a better all-around player.

Hard to judge these things by PPG averages. It's like measuring home runs hit in a juiced ball era or qbs in the loose PI rules era. Joe Montana isn't going to put up drew brees numbers during the 90s,but Montana would still be a hall of fame QB in our modern era. As would elway.

Scoring averages are much more meaningless. As is offensive dominance. You can't take a pure shooter like ray Allen and compare him to guys who are not only shooters, but terrific shot creators like bird, reggie miller, Glenn rice, and Mullin. Tim Hardaway in his prime was averaging 20 points, 10+ assists per game. Is not in the hall of fame. Pierce and wade are terrific, but their scoring averages are padded because they play in an offensive era and the reason you brought them up is to imply that these players are much better than the previous generation. With tighter hand checking rules, these guys would be on par with most fringe or barely made it hall of famers.

Your list does not include an overwhelming number of surefire hall of famers. They are mostly fringe hall of famers regardless of generation. Which doesn't prove that this is a far more talented generation. Like the previous generation, you have a few outrageous superstars like kobe and lebron, a few guys like garnett and Duncan who are terrific players and surefire hall of famers, and you have lots of fringe guys like Pierce and wade who are probably hall of fame but could easily be considered on the fringe.

KevB 06-05-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9730805)
Hard to judge these things by PPG averages. It's like measuring home runs hit in a juiced ball era or qbs in the loose PI rules era. Joe Montana isn't going to put up drew brees numbers during the 90s,but Montana would still be a hall of fame QB in our modern era. As would elway.

Scoring averages are much more meaningless. As is offensive dominance. You can't take a pure shooter like ray Allen and compare him to guys who are not only shooters, but terrific shot creators like bird, reggie miller, Glenn rice, and Mullin. Tim Hardaway in his prime was averaging 20 points, 10+ assists per game. Is not in the hall of fame. Pierce and wade are terrific, but their scoring averages are padded because they play in an offensive era and the reason you brought them up is to imply that these players are much better than the previous generation. With tighter hand checking rules, these guys would be on par with most fringe or barely made it hall of famers.

Your list does not include an overwhelming number of surefire hall of famers. They are mostly fringe hall of famers regardless of generation. Which doesn't prove that this is a far more talented generation. Like the previous generation, you have a few outrageous superstars like kobe and lebron, a few guys like garnett and Duncan who are terrific players and surefire hall of famers, and you have lots of fringe guys like Pierce and wade who are probably hall of fame but could easily be considered on the fringe.

You're making things up. I never said this group today is better than the previous generation. I refuted the claim from TW that this group couldn't hold the previous group's jock.

And I've never once referenced ppg as the only unit of measure. Feel free to compare rebounds, assists, percentages, etc. Everything I've said holds up. How can you say Reggie Miller and Glenn Robinson were shot creators? I have to question if you ever saw some of these guys play. They were pure gunners, plain and simple. I'm trying to figure out how Glenn Robinson has found his way into any conversation that compares the best players from any generation. Pierce and Wade are sure fire Hall of Famers, there's absolutely no doubt. I guess we won't agree, so I'm done....anything more would just be repetition.

chiefzilla1501 06-05-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9731652)
You're making things up. I never said this group today is better than the previous generation. I refuted the claim from TW that this group couldn't hold the previous group's jock.

And I've never once referenced ppg as the only unit of measure. Feel free to compare rebounds, assists, percentages, etc. Everything I've said holds up. How can you say Reggie Miller and Glenn Robinson were shot creators? I have to question if you ever saw some of these guys play. They were pure gunners, plain and simple. I'm trying to figure out how Glenn Robinson has found his way into any conversation that compares the best players from any generation. Pierce and Wade are sure fire Hall of Famers, there's absolutely no doubt. I guess we won't agree, so I'm done....anything more would just be repetition.

I said Glenn Rice, not Glenn Robinson. Glenn Rice played shitty defense but was probably one of the best pure shooters of his generation.

Apart from that, I'm sorry dude. I ****ed up. You weren't saying one generation was better than the other. I misread it. Completely my bad.

KevB 06-05-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9732177)
I said Glenn Rice, not Glenn Robinson. Glenn Rice played shitty defense but was probably one of the best pure shooters of his generation.

Apart from that, I'm sorry dude. I ****ed up. You weren't saying one generation was better than the other. I misread it. Completely my bad.

Yeah, Rice was a nice player. Really fun to watch when he had it going. Maybe the best individual tourney I've ever seen, save for maybe Manning. TW said Glenn Robinson in an earlier post, so still had him on the brain.

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9732206)
Yeah, Rice was a nice player. Really fun to watch when he had it going. Maybe the best individual tourney I've ever seen, save for maybe Manning. TW said Glenn Robinson in an earlier post, so still had him on the brain.

David Robinson, never said Glenn