ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

blaise 09-19-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5033832)
My expectations were really low on this one with all of the recent heist type of flicks but I ended up enjoying it. I am really worn out of the random band of guys setting up a complex robbery at this point and unfortunately it is kind of souring me on some of the classics.

Agreed. It just seems like a vehicle for these actors getting together and kissing each other's asses.
I particularly hate how they desperately try to give each guy his own special quirk. Like in the Italian Job where the one guy (Mos Def or Taye Diggs, whoever it was) hates dogs. Oh Oh! I wonder if he'll encounter dogs later! Why not just flash foreshadowing across the screen when he says he hated dogs?

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5034030)
well, it IS supposed to be based on a true story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bank_Job

Oh, I know that.

But that simple fact doesn't make the movie flow any better.

And the whole Princess Caroline thing was made up by the screenwriter as the reason for the robbery.

Anyway, I found it extremely boring, slow, and terribly paced.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5033940)
Ruby Dee being nominated was kind of a joke too. She had like maybe 3 or 4 lines the entire movie. She got nominated for slapping Denzel.

I completely agree.

As I stated earlier, it was a very weak field.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-19-2008 03:44 PM

I watched "Smart People" earlier this week.

It was a pretty shitty movie that Thomas Haden Church tried to save, but couldn't. Dennis Quaid was a stereotypical tweed suit wearing, uptight New Classicist Lit Professor, Ellen Page played his daughter, a young Republican with a 12 foot stick up her ass, and Sarah Jessica Parker was the love interest, interested in someone with no redeeming qualities.

Aside from the irony that a movie whose protagonist is a lit professor suffered from horrendous underdevelopment, there really wasn't much to recommend aside from THC, who carried every scene he was in.

L.A. Chieffan 09-19-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5035444)

It was a pretty shitty movie that Thomas Haden Church tried to save, but couldn't. Dennis Quaid was a stereotypical tweed suit wearing, uptight New Classicist Lit Professor, Ellen Page played his daughter, a young Republican with a 12 foot stick up her ass, and Sarah Jessica Parker was the love interest, interested in someone with no redeeming qualities.

Aside from the irony that a movie whose protagonist is a lit professor suffered from horrendous underdevelopment, there really wasn't much to recommend aside from THC, who carried every scene he was in.

I felt the same way especially about THC. The movie was way too pretentious and full of it self even considering the subject matter. The goddamn acoustic guitar in every scene made me want to slice open a ****ing shar pei right in front of it's queer owner.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5035444)

I officially hate Ellen Page.

She's a slightly more attractive version of Jeanine Garofalo.

Deberg_1990 09-19-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5035603)
I officially hate Ellen Page.

She's a slightly more attractive version of Jeanine Garofalo.

Shes going to get typecast as that smartass Juno character forever....

Deberg_1990 09-19-2008 06:11 PM

I watched "The Love Guru" last night.....haha...i know what your thinking...

But hey, i laughed. Mike Myers makes me laugh. Its not high art, but its funny to me.

Miles 09-20-2008 01:47 AM

Just finished watching "The Lives of Others" which won best foreign film two years ago and it was outstanding. Highly recommend this one.

DeepPurple 09-20-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

When I saw Smart People it made me think I was watching Sideways 2 and Juno 2 put together, which was OK for me and I didn't mind Dennis Quaid because I never liked him anyway. In fact, I wish they did make a Sideways 2, when that was in regular rotation on HBO I must of seen it 25 times. Jack and Miles take another road trip through the wine country.

DaneMcCloud 09-20-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 5037408)
When I saw Smart People it made me think I was watching Sideways 2 and Juno 2 put together, which was OK for me and I didn't mind Dennis Quaid because I never liked him anyway. In fact, I wish they did make a Sideways 2, when that was in regular rotation on HBO I must of seen it 25 times. Jack and Miles take another road trip through the wine country.

Maybe this time, they can hook up with hotter chicks.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-20-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5038215)
Maybe this time, they can hook up with hotter chicks.

It was at least realistic. Paul Giamatti isn't going to be pulling top shelf ass. Hell, even that was a huge over pull for him.

Sandra Oh is disgusting, however.

DaneMcCloud 09-20-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5038219)
It was at least realistic. Paul Giamatti isn't going to be pulling top shelf ass. Hell, even that was a huge over pull for him.

Sandra Oh is disgusting, however.

Oh, I know.

But I was just hoping that since it's a movie and people like Kevin James pull primo ass on TV and in movies, they could stretch the truth a bit so I wouldn't have to look at Sanda Oh's gnarled up, crusty face again.

Or anything that resembles that "chick".

NewChief 09-20-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5035746)
I watched "The Love Guru" last night.....haha...i know what your thinking...

But hey, i laughed. Mike Myers makes me laugh. Its not high art, but its funny to me.

One of my friends from high school cowrote that script with Myers. He was sort of working as Myers assistant and protege. They had an immense falling out shortly afterwards, and he's since moved back to Arkansas.

NewChief 09-20-2008 09:39 PM

Just watched Lars and the Real Girl. First movie I've watched in a while that had me hitting the bonus features and the first movie I've watched in a while that I'll be able to answer immediately when people ask me, "Watched any good movies lately?"

I really, really enjoyed this movie.