ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Somebody's gotta have the inside scoop on Google Fiber launching tomorrow..?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261759)

Fish 09-22-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11747955)
I know this, the Google lady I was talking to was writing feverishly and asked if it would be OK if a manager and senior engineer could call me "offline" to discuss some of these things. So I fear they're either interested in my questions, or about to snap my fiber! LMAO

I'm sure they're super interested in all your opinions.

GloryDayz 09-22-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11748123)
I'm sure they're super interested in all your opinions.

Who said "super" you ****ing illiterate idiot?

Hootie 09-22-2015 11:08 AM

I've never used, or wanted to use, picture in picture in my life

GloryDayz 09-22-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11748324)
I've never used, or wanted to use, picture in picture in my life

My dad said the same about a cell phone in 1995, then a smart phone in 2008. He progressed and loves the wonders it brings to his life. But hey, to each their own I guess, it's certainly gone now.

morphius 09-22-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11748608)
My dad said the same about a cell phone in 1995, then a smart phone in 2008. He progressed and loves the wonders it brings to his life. But hey, to each their own I guess, it's certainly gone now.

I loved PiP, it is great for baseball and other slower sports.

RedDread 09-22-2015 02:45 PM

If you feel that PIP is an essential feature of a TV service, get a second TV. You'll be happier for it.

BWillie 10-02-2015 05:41 PM

So, Google Fiber TV apparently doesn't have AMC. That could be a real issue. I love Better Call Saul & also watch FTWD. I assume it automatically comes with Fox Sports Kansas City but I don't think it has Jayhawk TV or the Time Warner Sports Channell that Comcast and Time Warner have that airs all of the smaller Kansas games. When I look at their website they don't seem to have different tiers of channels like cable and Direct TV does.

GloryDayz 10-02-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11771083)
So, Google Fiber TV apparently doesn't have AMC. That could be a real issue. I love Better Call Saul & also watch FTWD. I assume it automatically comes with Fox Sports Kansas City but I don't think it has Jayhawk TV or the Time Warner Sports Channell that Comcast and Time Warner have that airs all of the smaller Kansas games. When I look at their website they don't seem to have different tiers of channels like cable and Direct TV does.

No AMC (which I hardly ever watched), and no BEin Sports either (which sucks balls). Oh, and no PIP either! LMAO

But you get 975/980Mbps up and down during speed tests!!!

I had 60Mbps with TWC and all hype aside, I've not seen anything really faster in day-to-day use and teleworking. Well, other than the results of speed test of course...

If nothing else, the good news is it's cheaper.

DRU 10-02-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11771083)

This page lists the channels that come by default as well as upgrade packages: https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/channels/

Anything that isn't available can be downloaded in a few minutes with a good torrent.

GloryDayz 10-02-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 11771101)
This page lists the channels that come by default as well as upgrade packages: https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/channels/

Anything that isn't available can be downloaded in a few minutes with a good torrent.

What torrent do you use?

DRU 10-02-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11771100)
No AMC (which I hardly ever watched), and no BEin Sports either (which sucks balls). Oh, and no PIP either! LMAO

But you get 975/980Mbps up and down during speed tests!!!

I had 60Mbps with TWC and all hype aside, I've not seen anything really faster in day-to-day use and teleworking. Well, other than the results of speed test of course...

If nothing else, the good news is it's cheaper.

Most servers online can't feed you data any faster than what TW or anybody else was providing already. Indeed, the day-to-day usage of the internet isn't going to be much faster for you.

Torrents are where it really kicks in, though, or direct connections with other fiber users. The shared bandwidth on torrents allows you to pull some data fast.

The usual torrent sources are still out there. piratebay, isohunt, demonoid, etc.

BWillie 10-02-2015 05:56 PM

I guess I'm going to pay $70 for the Google Fiber internet & separate for the Time Warner Cable.

GloryDayz 10-02-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 11771113)
Most servers online can't feed you data any faster than what TW or anybody else was providing already. Indeed, the day-to-day usage of the internet isn't going to be much faster for you.

Torrents are where it really kicks in, though, or direct connections with other fiber users. The shared bandwidth on torrents allows you to pull some data fast.

The usual torrent sources are still out there. piratebay, isohunt, demonoid, etc.

It's been a while since I did the torrent thing, will try, thanks... Specifically looking for the Bein soccer stuff.

Mr. Laz 10-02-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11771114)
I guess I'm going to pay $70 for the Google Fiber internet & separate for the Time Warner Cable.

I thought they had cheaper options?

GloryDayz 10-02-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11771114)

Is your house pretty well wired with Cat5?