ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

DaneMcCloud 04-13-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11435556)
He had a great turn on Kimmy Schmidt

Perfect example

Baby Lee 04-13-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11435603)
Perfect example

Why?

DaneMcCloud 04-13-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11435607)
Why?

Little known Netflix show as opposed to toplining a major AMC cable network show. His Disney film was a flop and people are running the other way from him.

It's nice that Tina Fey didn't reject him but it that was long before rehab.

Baby Lee 04-13-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11435611)
Little known Netflix show as opposed to toplining a major AMC cable network show. His Disney film was a flop and people are running the other way from him.

AMC wished it were Netflix before Mad Men and Breaking Bad came along.

OitNB, House of Cards, Daredevil. They're putting out quality work and people notice. Cable is grandpa land. Netflix carries over a third of all internet traffic. Not to mention HBO Now and Hulu and the like.

DaneMcCloud 04-13-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11435620)
AMC wishes it were Netflix before Mad Men came along.

OitNB, House of Cards, Daredevil. They're putting out quality work and people notice. Cable is grandpa land. Netflix carries over a third of all internet traffic.

Going from a star turn to a streaming service isn't exactly climbing the ladder.

What studio is going to bank on Hamm as a lead performer again?

Baby Lee 04-13-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11435623)
Going from a star turn to a streaming service isn't exactly climbing the ladder.

What studio is going to bank on Hamm as a lead performer again?

That's not his only gig, and streaming original content isn't exactly regional dinner theater. Kevin flipping Spacey is on the same service, in a high profile manner.

I'm sure also that SNL would be more than glad give him a shot in the arm if things were that dire. He's already in what, the 5-timers club.

Bruce Willis was in flipping Hudson Hawk. RDJr was drunk in some stranger's kid's bedroom.

Pitt Gorilla 04-13-2015 10:32 PM

Don's probably going to die, but I could also see him and Megan giving it one last shot.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2015 10:45 PM

Don will end up happily ever after with Peggy before he'll get back with Megan.

She gone.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-14-2015 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11435611)

of course a big Hollywood guy like you knows it was an NBC show that was sold off to Netflix after production

DJ's left nut 04-14-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11435681)
Don will end up happily ever after with Peggy before he'll get back with Megan.

She gone.

Yup - they're going to go with the 'loose end of the week' approach.

Cosgrove and Meagan were fairly easy to dispatch. I suspect we'll see something happen with Chaough because they can probably tie him off fairly easily. Hell, we might have just gotten as much of a Betty sendoff as we're likely to get (and as much as we need). There's nowhere near enough time for them to waste any more of it on Megan.

They're narrowing the focus as it winds down and that's exactly what they needed to do. They really can't put a bow on Don, Roger, Joan, Pete or Peggie but they could essentially point them in a direction and send them down the road. Maybe Don or Peggy get called to the 'big leagues' by McCann or something. Maybe Roger calls it a career.

DaneMcCloud 04-14-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11435812)
of course a big Hollywood guy like you knows it was an NBC show that was sold off to Netflix after production

Of course but what does that have to do with Jon Hamm's falling star? BTW, NBC Universal still owns the show, they just chose to bypass airing it on NBC.

His Disney movie underperformed at the box office, then he hit rehab, then it was revealed he helped to beat a guy to a pulp as part of a hazing ritual at the University of Texas.

This is not exactly his shining moment.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-14-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11435962)
Of course but what does that have to do with Jon Hamm's falling star? BTW, NBC Universal still owns the show, they just chose to bypass airing it on NBC.

His Disney movie underperformed at the box office, then he hit rehab, then it was revealed he helped to beat a guy to a pulp as part of a hazing ritual at the University of Texas.

This is not exactly his shining moment.

I had never even heard of his Disney movie. I'm not sure what genius cast a man known for his drinking and womanizing character as a lead in a kids movie. Based on the reviews I read, Hamm was not the problem.

DaneMcCloud 04-14-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11436085)
I had never even heard of his Disney movie. I'm not sure what genius cast a man known for his drinking and womanizing character as a lead in a kids movie. Based on the reviews I read, Hamm was not the problem.

I've seen the movie. Hamm was just Hamm. Having seen him in various roles, it's hard for me to see him as anyone other than John Hamm, who most people believe to be Don Draper.

He has limited acting ability and it will be difficult for him to find success, IMO.

It's the Tony Soprano syndrome.

Reaper16 04-14-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11436200)
I've seen the movie. Hamm was just Hamm. Having seen him in various roles, it's hard for me to see him as anyone other than John Hamm, who most people believe to be Don Draper.

He has limited acting ability and it will be difficult for him to find success, IMO.

It's the Tony Soprano syndrome.

I want to agree with this post in spirit, because I do think that Hamm is dramatically limited in certain ways (even though I think he's pretty great as Don Draper). And I want to agree somewhat with the idea that actors known for a lead TV role that becomes a cultural phenomenon won't ascend past that level of success. Because I recognize how James Gandolfini never climbed higher, and the same is going to be said for Bryan Cranston. Age is a factor too, and Hamm is young enough to break that mold. But it looks like he won't.

But I can't agree with what's actually written in the post. Hamm's comedic roles can't be discounted here. And Gandolfini was not a limited actor. That dude was capable of tremendous work, most of which was less showy than Tony Soprano.

DaneMcCloud 04-14-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 11436217)
But I can't agree with what's actually written in the post. Hamm's comedic roles can't be discounted here. And Gandolfini was not a limited actor. That dude was capable of tremendous work, most of which was less showy than Tony Soprano.

I agree that Gandolfini wasn't a limited actor, not in the least. But it was difficult for him to escape Tony Soprano, which is why his last film (unfortunately) was so different, yet effective. Enough time had passed that he could finally escape that persona, then sadly, he passed away.

As for Hamm, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I just haven't seen any range from him. It's just a variation of John Hamm, even in his comedic bits.