ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

DaKCMan AP 12-17-2008 11:35 AM

3/4 of the way through Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. Interesting read.

Hammock Parties 12-28-2008 10:14 PM

Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Nazis-Occult-F...0523436&sr=8-6

Reaper16 12-28-2008 10:36 PM

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

Best American Travel Writing 2008; Guest Editor: Anthony Bourdain

ziggysocki 12-31-2008 04:10 PM

I recently finished Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire", well at least all that are out... It was freaking awesome. But it is also massive, so I decided to go back to some American "classics" That I had somehow missed along the way. Here are the recent that I have read:

"Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut -- Really kind of weird deal with your demons kind of book... recommend it.

"The Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger -- Kinda got sick of the teenage angst angle, but could associate on some levels with Holden... I'm not nearly as negative though. Recommend it.

"The Great Gatsby" by F.S. Fitzgerald -- Kinda a loss of innocence, death of the American dream kinda theme, set way back, but almost fits with current political climate. Recommend it.

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck -- Poor Lennie. Reminds me of me sometimes...Can I tend the rabbits? Recommend it... quick read too...

So now I hit some high school required reading...now I want to go to something fast pace, mindless action, fantasy, sci-fi, adolescent power fantasy type shit. Any suggestions?

raybec 4 12-31-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5344727)
I recently finished Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire", well at least all that are out... It was freaking awesome. But it is also massive, so I decided to go back to some American "classics" That I had somehow missed along the way. Here are the recent that I have read:

"Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut -- Really kind of weird deal with your demons kind of book... recommend it.

"The Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger -- Kinda got sick of the teenage angst angle, but could associate on some levels with Holden... I'm not nearly as negative though. Recommend it.

"The Great Gatsby" by F.S. Fitzgerald -- Kinda a loss of innocence, death of the American dream kinda theme, set way back, but almost fits with current political climate. Recommend it.

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck -- Poor Lennie. Reminds me of me sometimes...Can I tend the rabbits? Recommend it... quick read too...

So now I hit some high school required reading...now I want to go to something fast pace, mindless action, fantasy, sci-fi, adolescent power fantasy type shit. Any suggestions?

I'm reading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. It's got a lot of action, violence, killing etc. It's actually set in the 19th century west but it is about a teenage boy.

chiefs1111 12-31-2008 04:16 PM

I just finished Duma Key by Stephen King,fairly enjoyable. Going to start reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon tomorrow

Bowser 12-31-2008 04:18 PM

Halfway through Trunk Music by Michael Connelly. A cop suspense story. Decent read so far.

ziggysocki 12-31-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 5344741)
I'm reading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. It's got a lot of action, violence, killing etc. It's actually set in the 19th century west but it is about a teenage boy.

Sounds kinda like Grand Theft Auto set in Old West. Excellent I will see if I can find the E-book. Thanks! REP

Baby Lee 12-31-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Started The Road, read for about an hour, realized I was halfway done.

Very dour, thus far, stark might be a better word. Noticed that the man and his boy are 'carrying the fire' as in NCFOM.

Frosty 01-01-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 5344748)
I just finished Duma Key by Stephen King,fairly enjoyable. Going to start reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon tomorrow

Swan Song is one of my favorite books. Very much in the vein of The Stand.

I just read Duma Key also. Like most King books lately, it was well written but I was kind of "meh" when finished.

ClevelandBronco 01-01-2009 03:03 AM

I haven't participated until now, but I read Fyodor Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment" recently.

It was laughable.

I usually read nonfiction. I think I'll continue.

Delano 01-01-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Influenced by true events and characters no less.

There are a few companion books out there that are great to reference every now and then (especially if you don't know the spanish).

Delano 01-01-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 5346292)
I haven't participated until now, but I read Fyodor Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment" recently.

It was laughable.

I usually read nonfiction. I think I'll continue.

Please explain why it was laughable.

blaise 01-01-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 5346401)
Please explain why it was laughable.

Yeah, please, I think he's an outstanding writer.

HC_Chief 01-01-2009 10:15 AM

<i>Breakfast of Champions</i> - Kurt Vonnegut

And now I remember why it had been so long since I last read Vonnegut.... I hate bitter complainers w/ negative attitudes. Vonnegut is their poster child. (though he does come up with some hilarious satire at times; too bad it usually devolves to denigration)