ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

bevischief 05-20-2013 11:37 AM

This why I wait and buy the DVD.

keg in kc 05-20-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9694187)
so i'm going to offer a bit of a mea culpa to the fanbois...

i spent some time discussing the film with a friend, a fan with fairly encyclopedic knowledge of the series, who really laid out how bad he thought they misused Kahn's storyline...

i still found the movie highly entertaining (and I'm generally averse to 'just' being entertained), but i can now see why people are disappointed in it...

I've seen every episode of every series not named "voyager" and multiple times for TOS, TNG and DS9. While I've never done cosplay, I have owned tech manuals, the Science of Star Trek, built models, played games, read expanded universe novels (mostly in the 90s), so on and so forth. The problem with most fanboys (and that goes for comics in general, as much as for trek) is that they often lack imagination where "canon" is concerned. They want slavish devotion the story they know. And they really have a hard time dealing with a rebooted universe where things don't occur exactly the way they're used to. Kahn in the movie was not the Kahn from Space Seed. He was discovered 5 or 6 years before Kirk found the Botany Bay in the original timeline, there was no McGivers, there was only Admiral Marcus (or whoever was involved with Section 31). Meaning he was found by a military vessel and not an exploratory craft. He was woken alone and his companions were used as leverage to gain his cooperation. So there are some reasons for thinking his behavior might differ under the individual circumstances. Kahn prior to his exile was a warlord responsible for subjugating and/or killing millions. In the 90s (heh, note the movie didn't mention the Eugenics Wars or its dates). So I don't think it was a stretch having Marcus trying to use his "savagery" as they put it in the movie.

Not that there weren't some issues. Magic space blood? Really?

I liked Trek into Darkness primarily because to me it actually did embody many of the original themes of Star Trek. Exploration versus militarism. Spock continuing to seek the balance between logic and emotion. Kirk growing up. Beyond that there are modern day parallels to the events in the movie, for all the talk about it being a "remake of WoK". Which it was not really. If anything I thought it was truer to the franchise than just about anything from the 2009 film.

Just one fanboy's opinion...

RealSNR 05-20-2013 12:30 PM

Saw it last night. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler!

That being said...

It was entertaining. There were some good parts. I have a couple of other friends who want to see this movie, and I'll likely go see it with them. Multiple times.

I was pretty high on Star Trek (2009). I liked that movie. This one gets a final grade of "meh". Too much lazy shit that got slapped together with JJ Abrams' own diarrhea.

Star Wars is his first love? Yeah, it probably is. ****ing moron. At least that body has already been raped by Lucas, so whatever "revival" he does of it will be hard to disappoint fans of Star Wars. They've already seen the worst.

Hammock Parties 05-20-2013 12:33 PM

Agree about Spock. I can't stand Quinto's portrayal. It's completely different than Nimoy's Spock to be honest.

Spock seems like a high strung lil bitch in this.

SNR's review is on point. This film is pissing off a lot of hard core Trekkies.

the Talking Can 05-20-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9694333)
I've seen every episode of every series not named "voyager" and multiple times for TOS, TNG and DS9. While I've never done cosplay, I have owned tech manuals, the Science of Star Trek, built models, played games, read expanded universe novels (mostly in the 90s), so on and so forth. The problem with most fanboys (and that goes for comics in general, as much as for trek) is that they often lack imagination where "canon" is concerned. They want slavish devotion the story they know. And they really have a hard time dealing with a rebooted universe where things don't occur exactly the way they're used to. Kahn in the movie was not the Kahn from Space Seed. He was discovered 5 or 6 years before Kirk found the Botany Bay in the original timeline, there was no McGivers, there was only Admiral Marcus (or whoever was involved with Section 31). Meaning he was found by a military vessel and not an exploratory craft. He was woken alone and his companions were used as leverage to gain his cooperation. So there are some reasons for thinking his behavior might differ under the individual circumstances. Kahn prior to his exile was a warlord responsible for subjugating and/or killing millions. In the 90s (heh, note the movie didn't mention the Eugenics Wars or its dates). So I don't think it was a stretch having Marcus trying to use his "savagery" as they put it in the movie.

Not that there weren't some issues. Magic space blood? Really?

I liked Trek into Darkness primarily because to me it actually did embody many of the original themes of Star Trek. Exploration versus militarism. Spock continuing to seek the balance between logic and emotion. Kirk growing up. Beyond that there are modern day parallels to the events in the movie, for all the talk about it being a "remake of WoK". Which it was not really. If anything I thought it was truer to the franchise than just about anything from the 2009 film.

Just one fanboy's opinion...

ha, you and my friend would be friends...

not having any of this knowledge, my experience of the movie was that is was well balanced in the way that is near impossible for blockbusters...they have to be funny/sad, serious/light, smart/dumb etc...

i kind of like that they turned the volume down on the 'militarism'/terror as the movie progressed, but it was established enough to be in your mind...i'm worn out on the 'heavy' a la the 3rd Nolan Batman, which was - to me - a total sludge

i surprised myself, as I am generally pretty cynical about mega-budget movies, but this one caught me on the right day I guess...and totally agree about the 'magic blood'...which does then lead to some questions about committing to the spock/kirk WoK reversal...but

siberian khatru 05-20-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9694383)
Saw it last night. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler!

That being said...

It was entertaining. There were some good parts. I have a couple of other friends who want to see this movie, and I'll likely go see it with them. Multiple times.

I was pretty high on Star Trek (2009). I liked that movie. This one gets a final grade of "meh". Too much lazy shit that got slapped together with JJ Abrams' own diarrhea.

Star Wars is his first love? Yeah, it probably is. ****ing moron. At least that body has already been raped by Lucas, so whatever "revival" he does of it will be hard to disappoint fans of Star Wars. They've already seen the worst.

Agree with most everything there.

TOTALLY agree on Spock, and on Kirk. I disagree on Scotty -- Pegg just doesn't work for me, it seems like he's doing a parody of Doohan. Doohan always had a serious side, too, and I haven't seen that with Pegg (that I can recall).

I also HATE the Uhura and Spock romance. Not sure why, maybe I'm just racist.

The one character and actor I really like in the two films is Urban as McCoy. To me, he nails it.

Fire Me Boy! 05-20-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9694392)
Agree about Spock. I can't stand Quinto's portrayal. It's completely different than Nimoy's Spock to be honest.

Spock seems like a high strung lil bitch in this.

SNR's review is on point. This film is pissing off a lot of hard core Trekkies.

Aren't they "Trekkers" now?

Hammock Parties 05-20-2013 12:52 PM

I don't get into that.

If you like Star Trek, you're a Trekkie. Period.

siberian khatru 05-20-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9694443)
Aren't they "Trekkers" now?

I think they have been almost since the beginning. I remember reading as a kid in the 70s fans bristling at the "Trekkie" moniker, preferring "Trekker."

siberian khatru 05-20-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9694445)
I don't get into that.

If you like Star Trek, you're a Trekkie. Period.

It never bothered me either. "Trekker" complaints are pretentious, IMO.

keg in kc 05-20-2013 12:58 PM

Sorta hits on something I said earlier: people have a hard time wrapping their brains around this not being the Spock they grew up with. This one saw Vulcan destroyed and met an all but ancient version of himself from another reality. He's like ****ed-in-the-head Spock 2.0, and younger than we've ever seen to boot, since all these events occurred years prior to the date of TOS pilot.

That said, the Uhura romance has never made any sense to me. But I have an eternal boner for Zoe Saldana so it slides.

And in a practical sense, he ain't Leonard Nimoy, so it ain't ever going to be the same. Just isn't possible. I'd argue his character is more iconic than Shatner's.

siberian khatru 05-20-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9694461)
Sorta hits on something I said earlier: people have a hard time wrapping their brains around this not being the Spock they grew up with. This one saw Vulcan destroyed and met an all but ancient version of himself from another reality. He's like ****ed-in-the-head Spock 2.0, and younger than we've ever seen to boot, since all these events occurred years prior to the date of TOS pilot.

That said, the Uhura romance has never made any sense to me. But I have an eternal boner for Zoe Saldana so it slides.

Speaking of ...

Spoiler!

keg in kc 05-20-2013 01:01 PM

Spoiler!

Donger 05-20-2013 01:09 PM

So, it sucks? I was going to take the wife to see it in a theater.

Fire Me Boy! 05-20-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9694489)
So, it sucks? I was going to take the wife to see it in a theater.

It sucks for one out of 10 viewers.

A movie doesn't get 86% fresh from critics and 89% fresh from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes by sucking. That based on damn near 79,000 reviews, by the way.