ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

ziggysocki 10-16-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4654073)
I just started rereading "A Game of Thrones", first in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire".

I really liked the series the first time I read it. On this second go-through, I'm about 325 pages in, and I'm not sure this isn't the best fantasy book I've ever read. And that's with about 500 pages to go...

lol I should have known that after this many posts I wouldn't have been the first. Great great books.:clap:

QuikSsurfer 10-16-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 5123190)
I saw it at Hastings and thought about picking it up, but I was reading three other things at the time. Worth a shot?

It is definitely worth a shot. It will take you over a month to complete it though. Anyone interested in this book should research it - there is a huge cult following.
The book can be very intimidating at first glance because your just not too sure how to read it with all the different fonts, page breaks, unique writing blocks, and citations.
I'm loving it though.

Baby Lee 10-17-2008 06:44 AM

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

phisherman 10-17-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 5123149)
I know what you mean. I didn't read those books, I devoured them.

yes, the Drizzt books are easy to just plow through.

anyone read the new one The Pirate King yet?

TrickyNicky 10-17-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5123197)
lol I should have known that after this many posts I wouldn't have been the first. Great great books.:clap:

Also, he has two short stories called The Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword that involve some interesting backstory into the history of Westeros. They are great stories as well.

irishjayhawk 11-17-2008 10:52 PM

Finally finished In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. It was pretty informative and overall a good read. I just wish I hadn't had a zillion things come up and disjoint the reading.

Tomorrow, I plan on picking up Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers which looks awesome. And if you've read The Tipping Point or Blink, you'll know what I'm talking about. Here's an excerpt.

Aside from that, I'm starting some screenwriting books as I'm trying to churn out an screenplay idea I've had for a while.

Reaper16 11-17-2008 10:59 PM

I re-read Watchmen on Saturday.
I'm re-reading David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster right now (R.I.P., DFW).
I picked up a hardcover of Isabel Allende's Ines of My Soul for $4 at a bookstore; she's a fantastic author, and this should be another solid work of magical realism/historical fiction.

I'm about finished with the grad school applications process. Once I finish I plan on celebrating by reading the brand-new "Best Food Writing 2008" anthology. I also plan to soon read New Religion in Mecca: Memoir of a Renegade Brewer in St. Louis by Tom Schlafly, which is about the formation of Schlafly Beer.

irishjayhawk 11-17-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5228854)
I re-read Watchmen on Saturday.
I'm re-reading David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster right now (R.I.P., DFW).
I picked up a hardcover of Isabel Allende's Ines of My Soul for $4 at a bookstore; she's a fantastic author, and this should be another solid work of magical realism/historical fiction.

I'm about finished with the grad school applications process. Once I finish I plan on celebrating by reading the brand-new "Best Food Writing 2008" anthology. I also plan to soon read New Religion in Mecca: Memoir of a Renegade Brewer in St. Louis by Tom Schlafly, which is about the formation of Schlafly Beer.

OT: What field you going into?

Reaper16 11-17-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5228859)
OT: What field you going into?

M.F.A. in creative writing (for creative nonfiction, specifically).

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-18-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarowheadnation (Post 3082968)
How to Ruin an NFL Franchise in 10 Days - by Carl Peterson

On the real though....I'm reading "Michael Jordan: Driven from Within"

ROFLROFLROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-18-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 3084963)
Just opened up Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.

Up next - Stephen King's Cell. Looks interesting, even if it turns out to be a ripoff of The Stand.

That's a good one.

KCCHIEFS27 11-18-2008 12:21 AM

Henry Adams: Democracy

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-18-2008 12:26 AM

"Birkenstock's, Phish, and Honk For Hemp; A Guide To Lawrence Ks Douchebaggery"-I.M Knobbingobbler.

teedubya 11-18-2008 02:40 AM

I picked up Aldous Huxley's Brave New World Revisited from 1962.

Egonomics, business personal development book
and Made to Stick, a marketing book

TAGS: Brave New World, Made to Stick, Frazod loves Denver, Egonomics

irishjayhawk 11-18-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs (Post 5229161)
I picked up Aldous Huxley's Brave New World Revisited from 1962.

Egonomics, business personal development book
and Made to Stick, a marketing book

TAGS: Brave New World, Made to Stick, Frazod loves Denver, Egonomics

Let me know what you think of Made to Stick. I've been contemplating reading it for a while.