ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012-2013 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265263)

Buehler445 11-16-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9122984)
Losing Manning will hurt to some degree, but I am assuming you are talking about the freshman. This was only their 2nd "real" game, 4th overall. You can't make that determination so quickly.

As far as Withey goes, he's just in an unfortunate spot. He really needs an athletic scoring big opposite him to be effective on the offensive side of the ball.

On a more optimistic note, the effort was there yesterday. Much more than it had been at all this year. Additionally, he was snagging quite a few DREB. Last year, he let TRob do all that. It might not be so easy against the big 12 bigs, but I'm looking at it as progress.

Lzen 11-16-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9122900)
seems like the fundamentals of our bigs isn't as sharp. It doesn't mean they won't develop, just that maybe without Manning they aren't developing as quickly.

Yeah, because Wayne Simien sucked so bad. :rolleyes::spock:

Saul Good 11-16-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9122984)
Losing Manning will hurt to some degree, but I am assuming you are talking about the freshman. This was only their 2nd "real" game, 4th overall. You can't make that determination so quickly.

As far as Withey goes, he's just in an unfortunate spot. He really needs an athletic scoring big opposite him to be effective on the offensive side of the ball.

Withey's a doofus. He should have left after last season. His stock is never going to be that high again. Robinson freed him up to do what he does best. Without that presence on the opposite block, Withey is just a guy.

Silock 11-16-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9123074)
Withey's a doofus. He should have left after last season. His stock is never going to be that high again. Robinson freed him up to do what he does best. Without that presence on the opposite block, Withey is just a guy.

A seven foot guy that still blocks shots.

Ceej 11-16-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9123079)
A seven foot guy that still blocks and alters shots.

FYP.

Saul Good 11-16-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9123079)
A seven foot guy that still blocks shots.

Against a team with a 6'5 power forward.

Ceej 11-16-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9123095)
Against a team with a 6'5 power forward.

Don't be obtuse.

Saul Good 11-16-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9123096)
Don't be obtuse.

He's a useful college player for sure. He just doesn't look like an NBA player without Robinson.

Mr. Plow 11-16-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9123002)
On a more optimistic note, the effort was there yesterday. Much more than it had been at all this year. Additionally, he was snagging quite a few DREB. Last year, he let TRob do all that. It might not be so easy against the big 12 bigs, but I'm looking at it as progress.

That is true.

Mr. Plow 11-16-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9123107)
He's a useful college player for sure. He just doesn't look like an NBA player without Robinson.

No, he probably isn't, but I don't really care about NBA anyway. Like I said, he needs an athletic scoring big on the opposite side to be an offensive threat. But he is still a good defensive player and that will be important.

Saul Good 11-16-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9123116)
No, he probably isn't, but I don't really care about NBA anyway. Like I said, he needs an athletic scoring big on the opposite side to be an offensive threat.

Right. It works out well for Kansas that he came back. I tend to think he went from NBA player with guaranteed contract to insurance salesman when he chose to come back.

Ceej 11-16-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9123107)

I agree with that. But you mentioned his performance last night. When last year against top competition he set the NCAA Tournament record for blocked shots.

If he can continue to be a defensive presence, rebound the ball and score between 10-15 a game, as a fan, I will be content.

Mr. Plow 11-16-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9123125)
I agree with that. But you mentioned his performance last night. When last year against top competition he set the NCAA Tournament record for blocked shots.

If he can continue to be a defensive presence, rebound the ball and score between 10-15 a game, as a fan, I will be content.

I'd be happy with that. As long as I get to keep yelling "Damnit Withey!"

Saul Good 11-16-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9123125)

That's my point. He did that LAST YEAR...when he had Robinson.

He's never going to be asked to score in the NBA. He's going to be asked to come off the bench for defense and rebounding.

Against bums, he is averaging 14 points, 11 boards, and 6 blocks. Scouts aren't going to care how many boards and swats he gets against teams who start 6'5 power forwards.

Against MSU, a team with legit size, he had 8 points, 7 boards, and 2 blocks. Yawn

Ceej 11-16-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9123141)
That's my point. He did that LAST YEAR...when he had Robinson.

He's never going to be asked to score in the NBA. He's going to be asked to come off the bench for defense and rebounding.

Against bums, he is averaging 14 points, 11 boards, and 6 blocks. Scouts aren't going to care how many boards and swats he gets against teams who start 6'5 power forwards.

Against MSU, a team with legit size, he had 8 points, 7 boards, and 2 blocks. Yawn

I'm not quite sure why you keep referencing the NBA. You and I haven't spoke about the NBA or his NBA potential.

If he can do what I mentioned in my previous post I will be content. And he will probably get drafted in the NBA based on his size. What numbers he puts up in the NBA is pretty irrelevant to me.