ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

Three7s 07-05-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10731921)
If you want to get worse, by all means replace Jarrod Dyson (2.3 WAR) with Byrd (0.8 WAR).

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...50&position=OF

Byrd has a good average and has power. Isn't that what everyone wants?

Prison Bitch 07-05-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10731978)
Fangraphs hates Marlon Byrd for some reason, but Baseball Reference has him as a 1.8 WAR guy,

Fine, they have Dyson at 2.4. Still much higher than Byrd given how there's another half of baseball to play.

Quote:

and I trust their WAR formula more than Fangraphs.
I have no earthly idea why you keep saying that. Because of Jeremy Guthrie? Every serious mathematician focuses on repeatable experiements and datasets that hold trends. What should have happened is far more telling than what actually did. Focusing on outliers is seriously ancient thinking.

Quote:

Dyson has provided a lot of value with his defense and baserunning, but at the end of the day remains a guy who can't play everyday because of his struggles against LHP and who is more likely to regress to his mean offensively given extended time ( which is .260/.330/.340). If he could post a .700 OPS with his defense and baserunning as an everyday player, that probably plays up. But just like last year, I'd expect his offensive numbers to come down given more at-bats (and more towards his career averages).
You should apply this logic to Gordon then, since he's hit the shitter offensively. 2-41 slump? As you say, you can stop runs or create them. Hopefully both. Dyson stops them - Byrd creates them. A wash.

Quote:

For a team that desperately needs more offense, especially RH hitters AND power, Byrd would be a very nice fit at a very affordable cost (both in prospects and salary.) Dyson is proving to be a very reliable No. 4 OF, but he's not a guy you want to start for a winning team (especially since Cain is not going to give you the power out of RF that you really want).

It's a good move for next season, too, when Byrd would provide a very affordable option who can be swung between RF, LF and DH.

Here's the meat of the argument: creating value by replacing X player. And that X is clearly Fat-Ass at DH. Get rid of Dyson and you gain nothing. Get rid of Fat-Ass, and you probably pick up 2 wins. Is that enough? It might be.

Prison Bitch 07-05-2014 07:57 PM

I had the radio on and just heard how it ended. Faux-Hawk has bases loaded down 7-3 and the f-ing POS swings first pitch and GIDP to end it. I cannot imagine how his teammates continue to put up with his atrocious play but worse, his atrocious stupidity about game situations.

He's probably the biggest disappointment I've ever seen come through KC. Because he legitimately has talent. He's just too stupid or too arrogant to use it.

Three7s 07-05-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10732230)
I had the radio on and just heard how it ended. Faux-Hawk has bases loaded down 7-3 and the f-ing POS swings first pitch and GIDP to end it. I cannot imagine how his teammates continue to put up with his atrocious play but worse, his atrocious stupidity about game situations.

He's probably the biggest disappointment I've ever seen come through KC. Because he legitimately has talent. He's just too stupid or too arrogant to use it.

He has no plan at the plate. He's like Gordon during his first couple of years.

He just goes up there swinging and expects the ball to be hit to the moon.

New World Order 07-05-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10732230)

He sucks

Prison Bitch 07-05-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 10732235)
He has no plan at the plate. He's like Gordon during his first couple of years.

He just goes up there swinging and expects the ball to be hit to the moon.

That's what's so amazing: he hasn't hit the ball to the moon all year. Why would he still be under the delusion he can do it on a given at-bat?

Don Corlemahomes 07-05-2014 11:38 PM

Javier Baez or Starlin Castro for Duffy, straight up.

Prison Bitch 07-06-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist (Post 10732390)
Javier Baez or Starlin Castro for Duffy, straight up.

You want a SS? What the hell for?

Al Bundy 07-06-2014 08:57 AM

David Price being traded for Joey Votto? Not Royals related... but still.

lewdog 07-06-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 10732545)

Whoa, really?!

Archie F. Swin 07-06-2014 09:05 AM

Butler just seems to be a different player altogether. Even when he wasn't hitting for power last season, his plate discipline was still there. He would get walks. Today, he takes 2nd and 3rd strikes, swings at balls....just a disaster.

Al Bundy 07-06-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10732546)
Whoa, really?!

Well maybe not afterall.

TLO 07-06-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 10732545)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 10732566)
Well maybe not afterall.

:doh!:

Chiefs Pantalones 07-06-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 10732554)
Butler just seems to be a different player altogether. Even when he wasn't hitting for power last season, his plate discipline was still there. He would get walks. Today, he takes 2nd and 3rd strikes, swings at balls....just a disaster.

All in a contract year. He must be in a food coma and no signs of coming out.

Bowser 07-06-2014 09:51 AM

Butler and Gordon both getting a day off today. Ibanez hitting cleanup??