ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

keg in kc 11-01-2020 01:05 PM

Wasn't she announced as part of the Section 31 spin-off?

Either they go back to their timeline or she starts a new version in the future.

BigRedChief 11-01-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15287948)
Watch it for Pike and Spock if nothing else. Especially Pike.

agreed. Last year when Pike got more involved in the series, it took off on the quality.

Lzen 11-02-2020 01:57 PM

This guy is no fan of Discovery

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cIpCThuPg6o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC_Connection 12-15-2020 01:39 AM

I finally got around to watching Season 2 of Discovery after being so annoyed by Season 1 that I took a serious break from it.

It was better. Still not great and full of bad writing choices/decisions, but there were some good episodes early in the season like the one dealing with the human community out on a planet in the middle of nowhere and those dealing with Saru's character development on his own world). The early season intrigue re the "Red Angel" didn't really pay off in the end and it kind of dissolved into pure good v. evil mindless action in the final third but at least it didn't annoy the hell out of me like S1's final few episodes.

Pike/Spock were truly the best part of the season, though, so I'm reluctant to start watching S3 when I know they're no longer on the cast.

KC_Connection 12-15-2020 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15288110)
Kirk would have died at least a dozen times if not for Spock. It was usually the two of them working in tandem that defeated whatever was opposing them. Burnham is like a Kirk/Spock combination that can solve any problem after everyone else gives up and she has a good cry about it.

As for Tilly, she's bad, but I loathe Stamets. He's the Jar Jar of Star Trek.

I'll take Stamets over Ash Tyler. What a waste of space his character was in those two seasons.

Not counting Spock/Pike, I think the only one on the regular cast now (first 2 seasons) who doesn't annoy me to some degree is Saru (especially post losing his ganglia). Burnham might be next (which says a ton about the other options) but she's so melodramatic about everything and Martin-Green has a tendency to over act (maybe she's being asked to, but it's too much). I have a feeling S3 is gonna be a tough watch.

listopencil 12-15-2020 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15399647)
I'll take Stamets over Ash Tyler. What a waste of space his character was in those two seasons.

Not counting Spock/Pike, I think the only one on the regular cast now (first 2 seasons) who doesn't annoy me to some degree is Saru (especially post losing his ganglia). Burnham might be next (which says a ton about the other options) but she's so melodramatic about everything and Martin-Green has a tendency to over act (maybe she's being asked to, but it's too much). I have a feeling S3 is gonna be a tough watch.

I have tried watching episodes of season three but it was just too much. It's horrible. There is an eventful reunion (don't wanna spoil) and they spend a chunk of the end of one episode dealing with it...then they spend the first 10 or so dragging minutes of the next episode dealing with it again. I mean they all stand around and emote for 10 minutes. ****ing awful. I gave up.

Jamie 12-15-2020 02:59 AM

Yeah, I've stuck through the season so far, but I'm ready to give up. Sending them to the future seemed like a good idea, but the show is somehow worse now than it's ever been.

KC_Connection 12-15-2020 03:08 AM

Honestly the end of S2 felt like they almost wrote it as a series finale (maybe in case they were cancelled?). Sounds like that would have been the better choice.

Frazod 12-15-2020 03:52 AM

I somehow got through the first episode of Season 3, but only made it a few minutes into the second episode before bailing.

I just hate the entire crew. It's almost like they were specifically created to make me hate them. **** this show. I'd sooner watch Lynch's Dune and Phantom Menace back-to-back before enduring another second of this shit.

Holding out for Pike, and I guess the next season of Picard, which isn't great but is exponentially better than Discovery.

listopencil 12-15-2020 04:29 AM

The Captain Pike, Spock, and Number One thing was pretty much spot on. The modern version of the ol' Enterprise was an understandable upgrade (even though it annoys me) because the TOS set was done more like an old teleplay. Lots of empty space and not much money. So I'm picking nits to complain about the look especially since everything else was really great. Unfortunately that little bright spot of everything seeming so right just made Discovery seem even more wrong by comparison.

listopencil 12-15-2020 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15399683)
I somehow got through the first episode of Season 3, but only made it a few minutes into the second episode before bailing.

I just hate the entire crew. It's almost like they were specifically created to make me hate them. **** this show. I'd sooner watch Lynch's Dune and Phantom Menace back-to-back before enduring another second of this shit.

Holding out for Pike, and I guess the next season of Picard, which isn't great but is exponentially better than Discovery.

ST:Disco is shit. It's just ****ing garbage. They're rolling out every cliche and every trope and every tired premise ever excreted onto a TV screen while the entire cast just stands around and cries.

Bowser 12-15-2020 12:49 PM

There have been cool moments scattered throughout (Voyager-J, USS Nog, Book's ship, going to Vulcan), but it's just not good no matter how shiny everything looks. And if they make The Burn out to be something that happens to Red Angel in transit trying to signal Spock, that will be some of the most unoriginal writing in Trek history, and that is saying something.

bowener 12-16-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15400269)
There have been cool moments scattered throughout (Voyager-J, USS Nog, Book's ship, going to Vulcan), but it's just not good no matter how shiny everything looks. And if they make The Burn out to be something that happens to Red Angel in transit trying to signal Spock, that will be some of the most unoriginal writing in Trek history, and that is saying something.

The moment they mentioned the Terran Empire in Season 3, and that ****ing painfully stupid scene where hammy evil girl blinks her ****ings eyes and breaks tech from 900 years in her future ****! Anyway, I assumed that the Terran Empire would be the cause of the burn by trying to invade the prime universe.

Spoiler!

Bowser 12-16-2020 04:57 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/ftdF4Z...c4b5/giphy.gif

(just watched the latest episode, can confirm)

lawrenceRaider 12-17-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15399683)

I think it would be a hell of a lot better without Burnham. I didn't mind her character as much in previous seasons, but she is incredibly annoying thus far. The whole "I know better than everyone" has always been there, but has been amped up to 15 in season 3. I think I've made it to episode 7, but only by sheer perseverance.