ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

jspchief 09-20-2008 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5025181)
If I had had them all at one time, I might have read them all. I was reading them as they came out, though. After about the 7th one, I'd wait and wait and wait for a new one to come out. A new 800 page book would come out in the series, and it seemed like nothing had really happened at the end of the 800 pages. As such, I stopped reading it on about the 8th one. I might go back and reread them all again some day, though.

I had the same experience. It was just too much reading for not enough advancement of the story.

NewChief 10-16-2008 07:13 PM

I've read a ton lately, but the one that stands out is Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. It's the first fantasy/sci-fi I've read in a long while, and I highly recommend it. It's really more steampunk than any other subgenre, but the writing is pretty damned good. Mieville is ambitious. Not of the caliber of Neal Stephenson, but he tells a damned good tale and the dark, gritty feel of New Corbuzon is exactly what I look for in my fantasy/scifi. It is long and tends to drag at times, but I'd encourage folks to give it a try.

If your tastes range toward: Neal Stephenson, King's Dark Tower series, William Gibson, Frank Herbert, or the Thieves World series of books, you'll probably like this one.

Frazod 10-16-2008 07:19 PM

I just finished Paul of Dune - another of the filler books written by Frank Herbert's son. This one focuses on events that happen immediately prior to and immediately after the original Dune.

It's pretty much more of the same - entertaining, but minor compared to the original. Still, if you like Dune, you'll probably enjoy it.

Fairplay 10-16-2008 07:28 PM

Frazod,

I meant to tell you that I read Jeff Shaara's Steel Wave.

I was overall disappointed in it. Which i have always liked his works. Maybe i am expecting to much out of him this time.
Seemed like the story wasn't picking up steam to build up and get going.

But i will read his next one anyway i am sure.

Did you read it?

ziggysocki 10-16-2008 07:31 PM

I'm working on "Clash of Kings" by George R.R. Martin. It's the second book from the series "A Song of Ice and Fire". Excellent... addictive. It is long and pretty wordy, but necessarily so due to the high number of excellent charachters and intertwined story lines. If you like medieval historical fiction these are must reads... referred by a friend who rarely leads me astray.

TrickyNicky 10-16-2008 07:32 PM

That is a great series Ziggy. Your friend has good taste then.

Fairplay 10-16-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5026134)
Constitutional Law for a Changing America: Institutional Powers and Constraints - Lee Epstein and Thomas G. Walker

:ZZZ::ZZZ::ZZZ:

Frazod 10-16-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 5123091)
Frazod,

I meant to tell you that I read Jeff Shaara's Steel Wave.

I was overall disappointed in it. Which i have always liked his works. Maybe i am expecting to much out of him this time.
Seemed like the story wasn't picking up steam to build up and get going.

But i will read his next one anyway i am sure.

Did you read it?

Not yet. I still have his first WWII book but haven't started reading it yet.

ziggysocki 10-16-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 5123105)
That is a great series Ziggy. Your friend has good taste then.

The last series he set me on was the Dark Elf books... Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn. Drizzt is awesome... I never really read much high fantasy other than LOTR, but I really liked it. That's another series I would recommend. Now I sleep about 3 hours a night cause I can't get enough of Tyrion Lannister.

QuikSsurfer 10-16-2008 07:36 PM

"House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski

This is an AMAZING book. Has anyone else read this? Very unique writing format with some segments requiring you to hold the book up to a mirror to read.
Very, very creepy so far.

http://www.culturevulture.net/Books/...seofleaves.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...vesPage134.gif

Fairplay 10-16-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5123112)
Not yet. I still have his first WWII book but haven't started reading it yet.

I liked the first one. Especially Rommel's side.
Patton is cool also.

This last book has a lot of Eisenhower politics and pre-invasion plans.

TrickyNicky 10-16-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5123123)
The last series he set me on was the Dark Elf books... Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn. Drizzt is awesome... I never really read much high fantasy other than LOTR, but I really liked it. That's another series I would recommend. Now I sleep about 3 hours a night cause I can't get enough of Tyrion Lannister.

I know what you mean. I didn't read those books, I devoured them.

ziggysocki 10-16-2008 07:46 PM

The Dark Tower series is another great epic story. If I started a thread like: The Dark Tower series by Stephen King - Love or Hate the Ending? would it be a repost?

memyselfI 10-16-2008 07:48 PM

Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner. Chick lit.

TrickyNicky 10-16-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5123124)
"House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski

This is an AMAZING book. Has anyone else read this? Very unique writing format with some segments requiring you to hold the book up to a mirror to read.
Very, very creepy so far.

I saw it at Hastings and thought about picking it up, but I was reading three other things at the time. Worth a shot?