ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Eric Berry ‘a bit surprised’ on lack of extension progress (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300780)

BryanBusby 07-16-2016 01:53 PM

Berry has every right to try to be the top paid S in the NFL. It's not about being a dick, it's business.

The Chiefs have every right to try and protect themselves. I think he hits UFA next March and realizes his worth isn't as much as he thought.

Bowser 07-16-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12318425)
Berry has every right to try to be the top paid S in the NFL. It's not about being a dick, it's business.

The Chiefs have every right to try and protect themselves. I think he hits UFA next March and realizes his worth isn't as much as he thought.

Berry is unquestionably one of my favorite current Chiefs, but unless he has a 12 INT, 4 TD, 80 tackle kind of season, he isn't getting paid anything close to what he thinks he's worth next year. From us or anybody.

ThaVirus 07-16-2016 02:31 PM

He'll get paid somewhere. They always do.

What's Atlanta's cap situation looking like?

staylor26 07-16-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12318448)
He'll get paid somewhere. They always do.

What's Atlanta's cap situation looking like?

They aren't in remission.

How do some of you not realize this is a unique situation, and it's very unlikely that Dorsey isn't willing to give him a fair market deal with safety measures every other team would want to take? It's pretty clear Berry and his agent are probably being unreasonable.

ThaVirus 07-16-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12318450)
They aren't in remission.

How do some of you not realize this is a unique situation, and it's very unlikely that Dorsey isn't willing to give him a fair market deal with safety measures every other team would want to take? It's pretty clear Berry and his agent are probably being unreasonable.

Most of them aren't arguably the best at their position either.

He'll get paid somewhere and it'll be a very large contract.

staylor26 07-16-2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12318460)
Most of them aren't arguably the best at their position either.

He'll get paid somewhere and it'll be a very large contract.

He will be 29 next Decemeber and still in remission. He's not getting as much as you, him, or his agent think. Especially not without protection.

How the **** can some of you ignore the fact that his cancer can come back at any moment, and that is a big reason why this deal didn't get done?

ThaVirus 07-16-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12318463)
Hw will be 29 next Decemeber and still in remission. He's not getting as much as you, him, or his agent think. Especially not without protection.

I see you've borrowed RustShack's crystal ball and peeked into the future.

Tell me, Weatherman, how much will he get?

staylor26 07-16-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12318464)

Tell me, Weatherman, how much will he get?

Do you really think some team is going to ignore the fact that his cancer can come back at any moment for the rest of his prime?

A 29 year old safety in remission for 3 more years is very unlikely to break the bank. I just have a hard time believing he will, and I'm sure Dorsey does too.

DaneMcCloud 07-16-2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12318464)

Wait a minute: You just said that he'd get a large contract.

Isn't your followup statement hypocrisy at its finest?

The bottom line is that unfortunately, cancer doesn't always stay in remission. Berry hasn't had a occurrence in a year, which is great for him, but he won't be considered "Cancer Free" until it's been in remission for five years.

That has to be on the mind of every GM and owner in the league.

Chief Roundup 07-16-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12318306)
I read the Chiefs were willing to give Berry a long term big money deal as long as he took out an insurance policy for 20m with the team as the beneficiary in case the cancer returned and Berrys agent said no way.

I surely don't blame Dorsey for requiring that and it shows that cancer returning is a major concern in getting the deal done.

I seen several analysts including Rand Getlin on NFL Network saying that we were not close on base salary or guaranteed dollars in the contract and that the Chiefs wanted Berry to take out an insurance policy, pay for it, naming the Chiefs as the beneficiary which is unusual. It is normally the team that pays if they want to be named the beneficiary.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-16-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12318425)

And then there's always stupid teams like the Raiders out there.

DaneMcCloud 07-16-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 12318474)
I seen several analysts including Rand Getlin on NFL Network saying that we were not close on base salary or guaranteed dollars in the contract and that the Chiefs wanted Berry to take out an insurance policy, pay for it, naming the Chiefs as the beneficiary which is unusual. It is normally the team that pays if they want to be named the beneficiary.

And the Chiefs didn't need to pay the remainder of Berry's 2014 salary after he was placed on the NFI list, but they did pay it.

Berry's camp is being unreasonable.

ThaVirus 07-16-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12318467)
Do you really think some team is going to ignore the fact that his cancer can come back at any moment for the rest of his prime?

A 29 year old safety in remission for 3 more years is very unlikely to break the bank. I just have a hard time believing he will, and I'm sure Dorsey does too.

Not even a little bit, but I'm betting that won't stop some dumbass team from signing him to some ridiculous contract.

ThaVirus 07-16-2016 03:08 PM

Eric Berry ‘a bit surprised’ on lack of extension progress

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12318475)
And then there's always stupid teams like the Raiders out there.

This is what I've been saying. Staylor and Dane are just unstable weirdos. "YOU REALLY THINK SOME TEAM'S GOING TO PAY HIM A LOT OF MONEY!?! SRSLY BRO!?!"

Someone will overpay for him.

staylor26 07-16-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12318483)
This is what I've been saying. Staylor and Dane are just unstable weirdos. "YOU REALLY THINK SOME TEAM'S GOING TO PAY HIM A LOT OF MONEY!?! SRSLY BRO!?!"

Someone will overpay for him.

So, basically you tapped that logic is on our side, and you're the idiot with the crystal ball and a bold prediction.