ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ***The Official MMA Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230465)

SAUTO 06-05-2016 05:29 PM

I just can't believe lesnar is going dual and the ufc somehow feels good about it.

I think they are trying to cash in as big as they can before selling it.

TimBone 06-05-2016 05:30 PM

And it's definitely a sellout move by the UFC. All the people that seem to be hyped about it are the same WWE fans that were hyped about it the first time he came to the UFC. All of my friends on FB that are WWE fans are sharing the promo and going nuts. Meanwhile, people that I know are actual MMA fans don't seem to care. Money grab for Dana and Zuffa, but kinda crappy for fight fans.

SAUTO 06-05-2016 05:32 PM

And might hurt the sport forever, last thing they need is people thinking it's set up.

If they actually care about the sport.

Easy 6 06-05-2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12261417)
I honestly don't care to see Lesnar in the UFC.

Had the guy stuck around and put in the time to refine his game, he might have really accomplished something

But this one off deal sounds like a complete clown show... has he even been training for UFC competition the last several years?

BigCatDaddy 06-05-2016 05:50 PM

Just a name to grab PPV buys and I have no issue with it. The UFC is a business designed to make profits not prevent MMA purest from being butt hurt.

TimBone 06-05-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12261516)
Just a name to grab PPV buys and I have no issue with it. The UFC is a business designed to make profits not prevent MMA purest from being butt hurt.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is particularly upset about it. It's just hard to care or get excited about him returning.

SAUTO 06-05-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12261531)
Yeah, I don't think anyone is particularly upset about it. It's just hard to care or get excited about him returning.

It's just ignorant.

BigCatDaddy 06-05-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12261531)

For some reason I do enjoy watching his freakish athletic ability on display even though he lacks true MMA skills. He is a nice add for 200... just not as a top 2-3 fight. I think he gets a tomato can anyways.

alnorth 06-05-2016 06:46 PM

Kevin Iole just dropped this article on the Ariel Helwani situation. As always, its very well written and insightful.

alnorth 06-06-2016 09:16 AM

Brock Lesnar is going to fight Mark Hunt.

Unless there's something wrong with Hunt.... thats probably not going to work out very well for Brock.

raybec 4 06-06-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 12262351)

Unless there's something wrong with Hunt.... thats probably not going to work out very well for Brock.

I hope the super Samoan makes quick work of this sideshow

BigCatDaddy 06-06-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 12262351)

Shocked Brock took that fight. Horrible match-up for him.

alnorth 06-06-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12262402)
Shocked Brock took that fight. Horrible match-up for him.

Indeed, its tough for me to think of a worse matchup. Mark Hunt is like the fantasy fighter I would design in a video game to beat Lesnar. Basically push the sliders for rock-hard chin, stamina, takedown defense, and punches harder than hell as high as the game will let you go, and forget everything else.

It kinda feels like the UFC is using Brock Lesnar (since this is just a one-time thing on loan from WWE) to set up Hunt for a title shot, which makes good business sense. Having someone from the Australian/New Zealand area be the heavyweight champ is a good way for them to grow that market, just like Bisping is probably going to help them out now in the UK.

alnorth 06-06-2016 01:02 PM

....and the MMA hour is done, Ariel spent 2 hours talking about quite a lot. He mostly held it together for about an hour 45 minutes, but the last 15 minutes are difficult to listen to.

alnorth 06-06-2016 01:08 PM

This guy is the managing editor for NBC sports, and almost never covers MMA

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ariel Helwani says UFC told him not only that he was banned but that they would &quot;do everything to ruin my career.&quot; True, <a href="https://twitter.com/danawhite">@danawhite</a>?</p>&mdash; Michael David Smith (@MichaelDavSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/739891719760707587">June 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>