ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

DJ's left nut 06-25-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9774789)
He hasn't thrown his changeup much this year.

Last year that thing was devastating.

He still throws it 23% of the time vs. 28% of the time last year.

And honestly, that's probably not because of design but because of pitch sequencing.

Like most guys with a devastating changeup, Herrera uses his has a putaway pitch and often when he's ahead in the count. If he can't get to a putaway count, he won't likely throw that changeup as often.

Looking through his situational stats, it looks like he starts about 1/2 the batters he faces with a ball. If you start from behind in the count, you're going to constantly be fighting to get out of 'fastball' counts to allow you to go to your off-speed stuff.

It looks to be a simple control issue to me. He can't get ahead of batters. Now even when he does, he's giving up a .316 BA and .887 OPS, but when he's behind his OPS jumps to a staggering 1.297 based largely on the strength of a near .800 Slg%.

When the guy falls behind, he gets crushed. And he's just falling behind way too much.

So you may be right in that his lack of changeup use is a problem. However, his lack of changeup use is a symptom, not the disease. The disease is erratic control that keeps him from getting into positive counts that allow him to go to his off-speed stuff. That control keeps him from using his best pitch and allows batters to tee off on him when he's forced to come to them rather than work the corners.

Prison Bitch 06-25-2013 04:07 PM

Most fans probably missed Dayton's craziest rant of the year (which is saying something!). That's when he tried to explain in the KC Star that sending Herrera down made sense but keeping Moose up was different. Why? Because "hitters need to face MLB pitching. There's no substitute."

One might have been thinking, well then what's the substitute for pitchers facing MLB hitting? And of course this would be sane. But sane is not how Dayton thinks. He makes shit up as he goes.

Three7s 06-25-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9774883)
Most fans probably missed Dayton's craziest rant of the year (which is saying something!). That's when he tried to explain in the KC Star that sending Herrera down made sense but keeping Moose up was different. Why? Because "hitters need to face MLB pitching. There's no substitute."

One might have been thinking, well then what's the substitute for pitchers facing MLB hitting? And of course this would be sane. But sane is not how Dayton thinks. He makes shit up as he goes.

He hates bad pitching. He doesn't mind a bad offense.

Ceej 06-25-2013 04:22 PM

@DJ

i based that off of my own opinion. I thought before he was originally demoted he wasn't throwing it nearly as often.

Maybe it isn't nearly as effective as last year's.

But, him overthrowing has been blatant this year. Overthrows, falls behind in the count, then throws a high 90s meatball right down the middle.

Boom.

KCGal 06-25-2013 09:19 PM

Ned must go. He babies them. He expects development not winning. He gets what he expects. If I hear him talk about the "kids" one more time I'm going to lose it. Kids don't get millions of dollars to play freaking baseball. We're never going to get past .500 with him in charge.

GloryDayz 06-25-2013 09:54 PM

How much does the owner make "no matter how many games they lose"? That's all you need to know when you ask yourself why so many of these clowns are still around in this organization...

\thread

Sure-Oz 06-25-2013 09:56 PM

Pretty sure Dan Glass still thinks Myers is on the Royals

Sure-Oz 06-25-2013 09:57 PM

Royals have the exact same record as last year at this time.

SOB

Mama Hip Rockets 06-25-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9774778)
The WBC is what happened. Herrera, Rodney and Strop all look like crap this year.

What about Miguel Cabrera, Yadier Molina, David Wright, Joe Mauer, Adrian Gonzalez, Nelson Cruz, Robinson Cano, Derek Holland, Gio Gonzalez, Wandy Rodriguez, Santiago Casilla, etc.?

AussieChiefsFan 06-26-2013 12:18 AM

Shame they couldn't eak out a win there. Is be happy with winning just one, if we can get the win tomorrow.

Archie F. Swin 06-26-2013 06:45 AM

Wow....I just looked at the July schedule. Surely by the end of next month we'll know for for sure of this Royals team is contender or pretender.

chefsos 06-26-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9776206)
Wow....I just looked at the July schedule. Surely by the end of next month we'll know for for sure of this Royals team is contender or pretender.

I don't know how to say this without looking like a troll, but I think pretender is a couple levels up from where they are right now. That's a team that needs a spark (drill sgt. manager maybe?) in the worst way.

Archie F. Swin 06-26-2013 07:17 AM

So, is July 31st GMDM's deadline to make a move for a bat, or is it earlier?

Prison Bitch 06-26-2013 08:27 AM

All moot, the team can't hit the ball out of the infield. Not remotely competitive with legit teams. We're basically a Seattle.

WhawhaWhat 06-26-2013 01:31 PM

Bob Dutton ‏@Royals_Report
#Royals vs. ATL LHP Minor: Gordon 7, Escobar 6, Hosmer 3, Butler DH, Perez 2, Cain 8, Moustakas 5, Francoeur 9, Tejada 4 and Mendoza 1.

Lineup of doom.