ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306961)

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 12942684)
I think we're ok with Duffy/Vargas/Kennedy ... but throwing another similar caliber pitcher into that mix would certainly do wonders.

It's too bad Dayton couldn't look into his crystal ball and resign Holland - a Minor/Soria/Herrera/Holland bullpen looks pretty elite to me.

They tried before signing Minor.

Basically, the contract Minor got is what they offered Holland. He wanted a guarantee to close when he came back.

They also looked hard when he was rehabbing this winter, but between the relationship cooling and him not telling people what was going on, too much damage to the relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROYC75 07-04-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12942587)
Sonny Gray available from the A's?

I wish we could afford to get him.

tk13 07-04-2017 11:13 AM

Moose and Justin Turner lead the Final Vote tally so far. Bogaerts is in 2nd though, going to have to fend off the Red Sox fans for the next two days.

penbrook 07-04-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 12942953)
Moose and Justin Turner lead the Final Vote tally so far. Bogaerts is in 2nd though, going to have to fend off the Red Sox fans for the next two days.

Yea all of Canada is going for Xander

Mama Hip Rockets 07-04-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12942955)
Yea all of Canada is going for Xander

What? Why? Blue Jays fans hate the Red Sox.

penbrook 07-04-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 12942975)
What? Why? Blue Jays fans hate the Red Sox.

No idea but last I saw Xander had 40% of the vote and Moose only had 10%

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 11:52 AM

*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 12942953)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ddd2d99971.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...11c37ae428.png

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 12942884)
I wish we could afford to get him.

He's not a real ace but will command ace prices.

Just lacks that dominant put-away pitch. He's a really nice no. 2/3 starter, but not as good as James Shields was when KC traded for him, for example.

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 12:21 PM

Cubs going after Verlander?

MLB Trade Deadline Rumors: Cubs reportedly eyeing Tigers' Verlander, Avila

The reigning World Series champion Cubs are a disappointing 42-40 on the season (through Monday night), but thanks to the surrounding mediocrity in the NL Central they're still very much in the race. They do, however, need roster improvements, and that's why they're expected to be an active buyer leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. On that point ...

#Cubs inquired to #Tigers on availability of Justin Verlander and Alex Avila, sources say, but sides have not engaged in trade negotiations.

— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 4, 2017
Needless to say, the Cubs dealing for Justin Verlander and Alex Avila would qualify as a blockbuster.

The Cubs indeed need help in the rotation. At present, they rank seventh in the NL in rotation ERA and ninth in rotation WAR. Those aren't necessarily dismal numbers, but it's certainly something a team that aspires to make the postseason should seek to improve. As for Verlander, he has had a disappointing season. The 34-year-old has an ERA of 4.96 (87 ERA+) through 17 starts and his K/BB ratio of 1.96 is his worst such mark since 2008. Obviously, the Cubs wouldn't deal for Verlander unless they project significant improvement going forward. Also worth noting is that Verlander still has at least $70 million or so left on his contract. That is, if the Tigers want anything of long-term value in return, they'll need to throw in a lot of cash.

As for Avila, he's enjoying a career year at the plate thanks in part to some mechanical changes to his swing. After cutting bait on Miguel Montero, the Cubs might be looking for some additional catching depth. Avila could also spell Anthony Rizzo at first base on occasion.

Developing, possibly.

penbrook 07-04-2017 12:24 PM

Eh Verlander has been ass this year. Avila would be a good get for the Cubs

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 12:25 PM

According to the 2011 BA prospect book, Royals had settled on Josh Vitters #2 overall in 2007 before switching to Moose the day of the draft. I had never heard that. Any insights?

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 12:26 PM

How about Neshek for the Royals pen?

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 12:30 PM

MLB Draft 2017: Q&A with Royals’ first-round pick Nick Pratto

Leading up to Day 1 of the MLB Draft on June 12, we will be conducting Q&A interviews with many prospects who are projected to be first-rounders. For a complete listing of these interviews, click here.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Next is Huntington Beach (Calif.) HS first baseman Nick Pratto, a 6-foot-1, 193 lb. Southern California commit. Pratto, who won the 2011 Little League World Series in Williamsport, is one of the best pure high school bats in the country and is expected to focus on hitting after entering the year as a two-way player.

Pratto’s projections vary a bit, with some reports noting he has a chance to be a top-10 pick. Baseball America (12th-Pirates), MLB.com (20th-Mets) and ESPN (24th-Red Sox) all project him as a mid-to-late first-rounder at the moment. Be sure to check out Pratto’s full scouting report over at SB Nation’s Minor League Ball.

When did you first get into baseball as a kid and realized how much you loved the game?

“I’d have to say I was about 8 years old. It was my first little taste of travel ball and playing a lot of games at one time. For me, that was so much fun and really where I learned to love the game.”

Did you have a favorite team growing up? A favorite player?

“I never had one specific favorite player, but I was always a Dodgers fan.”

For you, was there a turning point moment when you realized you could become a first-round draft pick?

“Going into this season, I kind of had my own expectations. I always thought I was gonna go in the first round, whether other people said it was the second or the first, I thought I was borderline coming in. I think it was the beginning of the preseason where I believed I had solidified myself.”

What led to your decision to commit to play for Southern California?

“I’ve grown up a USC fan my whole life. I had a lot of faith in their program and their coach. I was just really comfortable around that campus.”

You were a member of the team that won the Little League World Series six years ago. How has your life changed since that experience?

“So much. That’s really where I learned to compete on the big stage, and just become a team. It was a bunch of kids from my hometown. We started from normal, average kids and became champions. That was a big step for Hagen [Danner] and I to learn how to play the game on the big stage.”

In the LLWS, you hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the 6th with the bases loaded and two outs to clinch the championship. Looking back at that, it must have been a ton of pressure for an 11-year old. Are you ever afraid of stepping out on the field after something like that so young?

“It was a weird moment for me because I remember not expecting to get up. I was the last possible hitter to be able to get up. I remember walking up to the plate surprised that I even got that opportunity. I was waiting in the dugout just wanting it. I walked up to the plate and it wasn’t even like the stage mattered. I just walked up like it was a normal at-bat.”

You mentioned Hagen Danner, one of your high school teammates who is also a projected first- or second-round pick this year. How have you guys fed off each other as this process has gone on?

“It’s always good having somebody going through it with you. Hagen and I have done a good job of keeping each other up and helping each other grind through this.”

What would you characterize as your biggest strength on the field?

“I’d have to say my competitiveness and leadership. Every team I’ve been on, it seems like I’ve taken on that kind of role. I’ve always pushed everybody to be at their best.”

On the other side of that, what do you want to work on the most at the next level?

“Just really hitting the ball. If you hit, you’ll play. That’s what my main focus will be.”

What factors will go into your decision in a couple weeks when it’s time to either go pro or go to school at USC?

“There are all kinds of things that factor into it. Which team, where, and the money, obviously. You need to be able to start a life. All those contribute to my decision-making.”

Historically, there haven’t been a ton of high school first baseman be successful major-leaguers after being picked high in the draft. What makes you different? Why will you be a guy who breaks that trend.

“The makeup. That really sums it all up. Anybody who knows me would say that I work extremely hard. I wouldn’t let failure be something that would happen.”

You had the unique experience of transferring in the middle of high school, from Mater Dei to Huntington Beach. Take me through that decision?

“Coming to Mater Dei, they were coming off an extremely good year with talent on the team. I came with really, really high expectations and the program didn’t meet my expectations. I wasn’t having a good time and it was time for me to go back. Time to just go play with the original guys.”

If you had to pick a major-league comp for yourself, who would it be and why?

“I’d have to say Anthony Rizzo right now. I think the approaches and the swings are similar. I expect that’s how I’m gonna be in the major leagues right now.”

What advantages do you have as someone who grew up in an amateur baseball hotbed like southern California?

“We separate ourselves from the others just being the best all-around baseball players. Just knowing how to adjust and get out there everyday against really good competition.”

You were formerly thought of as a two-way talent, with some thinking you could pitch in the pros as well. How does your experience as a pitcher help you in the batter’s box?

“It creates the best ballplayer. Having experienced both sides of the ball, it comes easier what to expect from pitchers and how to position yourself on the field. It’s just baseball IQ.”

What’s it like going through this very important process as a high school senior... having something like prom three days before getting drafted?

“It’s been hectic. Once the season ended, the workouts and the phonecalls and the meetings. It’s hectic, but it’s a tradeoff and reward.”

Heading into the draft, any expectations as to where you’ll fall on the draft board? Any goals?

“No, I’m just going into it expecting the best and just seeing what happens.”

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12943038)

Would be a nice fit. Really having a great year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12943037)
According to the 2011 BA prospect book, Royals had settled on Josh Vitters #2 overall in 2007 before switching to Moose the day of the draft. I had never heard that. Any insights?

I vaguely remember them being connected to Vitters. Believe Moustakas put on an impressive display of raw power in their last look and won him over.

penbrook 07-04-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Would but what will it cost

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12943050)
Would be a nice fit. Really having a great year.

I vaguely remember them being connected to Vitters. Believe Moustakas put on an impressive display of raw power in their last look and won him over.

Seems odd. He set the CA record for homers, what more would they need to see?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...gue/376407001/
Edit: great article on Vitters here. For all the misses we have had, we have hits too, and this miss would've kept us from winning the WS

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12943052)
Would but what will it cost

Not THAT much for a non-closer in his late 30s who is a FA following the season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12943058)
Seems odd. He set the CA record for homers, what more would they need to see?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...gue/376407001/
Edit: great article on Vitters here. For all the misses we have had, we have hits too, and this miss would've kept us from winning the WS

That's why I am willing to defend Moore's draft record. It has misses, but he has garnered a useable player from his top pick more often than not.

RealSNR 07-04-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Brandon Moss straight up trade!!!!!!!111

But seriously... what duncan said. Shouldn't be hard to find a random prospect to deal. We wouldn't even have to touch our Omaha guys, I don't think.

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12943090)
Not THAT much for a non-closer in his late 30s who is a FA following the season.

That's why I am willing to defend Moore's draft record. It has misses, but he has garnered a useable player from his top pick more often than not.

He got Duffy in the 3rd that year and Holland in the 11th. That's a monster haul and he could've missed on Moose and still had a good draft (but no ring obv)

Funny looking at that draft, the Cubs missed on Vitters but hit on some dude named Josh Donaldson in the supplemental round. Of course, he was a C at Auburn and in true Cubs fashion was traded to Oakland.

If DM blew the Colon pick in 2010 at 4 overall, he had already made up for it taking Wil Myers 3rd round the year before. So just switch them and that's their fair draft value

BWillie 07-04-2017 01:33 PM

Dick Lovelady

Hitting 100 mph, throws a mean slider. Absolutely dominating in the minors so far as a reliever.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2017/ALL

0.99 ERA this year, 4bb, 46ks. Currently in AA.

TomBarndtsTwin 07-04-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12943118)
Dick Lovelady

Hitting 100 mph, throws a mean slider. Absolutely dominating in the minors so far as a reliever.

Never heard of him, but that's some pretty damn impressive numbers so far in the minors . . . . . and he's a lefty!

Mama Hip Rockets 07-04-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Dick Lovelady

Wow.

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Dick Lovelady

With a name like that he is bound to be great.

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 12943126)
Never heard of him, but that's some pretty damn impressive numbers so far in the minors . . . . . and he's a lefty!

He goes by Richard.

Next time I do a prospects write up, I'll have it added to the OP in the thread.

Chiefspants 07-04-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12943174)
He goes by Richard.

Next time I do a prospects write up, I'll have it added to the OP in the thread.

Shoot me a PM and I'll happily add any of your content at any time.

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 12943176)
Shoot me a PM and I'll happily add any of your content at any time.

Permapost link probably works better. I'll get a new one list up this week.

gblowfish 07-04-2017 03:04 PM

Nice to see Duffy back tonight.

BTW: Three former Royals pitchers make the NL squad for the 2017 ASG. Greinke, Holland and Wade Davis.

I'm afraid in the next few years we'll see more ex-Royals in the ASG as well.

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 03:48 PM

I texted my wife this AM asking her if she wanted me to grab her a coffee and my auto-correct changed it to "Duncan donuts"

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12943307)
I texted my wife this AM asking her if she wanted me to grab her a coffee and my auto-correct changed it to "Duncan donuts"

Say my name.

Be careful though- you say it 3x and I show up in your house and destroy all the KU gear I can find. [emoji197]

penbrook 07-04-2017 04:22 PM

Any chance if we win the World Series this year Moose, Cain, and Hos have a higher chance of staying?

DaneMcCloud 07-04-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12943356)
Any chance if we win the World Series this year Moose, Cain, and Hos have a higher chance of staying?

No

duncan_idaho 07-04-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Is David Glass going to green light having a salary for the MLB team north of $170 million? That's what it would take.

RealSNR 07-04-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12943421)
Is David Glass going to green light having a salary for the MLB team north of $170 million? That's what it would take.

Hootie was going on about that last night LMAO

dlphg9 07-04-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

I mean he could. He sees all the money coming in when this team is playing good and the TV contract will be substantially better when it is renewed.

lewdog 07-04-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Hootie said that's an absolute yes.

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Probably lowers the chance.

Coach 07-04-2017 07:16 PM

Side note, but somewhat related to the HR derby....

The fact that Gary Sanchez (13 HR's) is on there instead of Logan Morrison (24) is kind of a joke.

lewdog 07-04-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 12943705)

The fact that Gary Sanchez (13 HR's) is on there instead of Logan Morrison (24) is kind of a joke.

He missed almost an entire month with an injury (why his HR total is lower) and is considered more of a masher than Morrison. Not to mention from a bigger market.

But really, **** the Yankees.

Coach 07-04-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12943713)
He missed almost an entire month with an injury (why his HR total is lower) and is considered more of a masher than Morrison. Not to mention from a bigger market.

But really, **** the Yankees.

That's fine, but injuries happen. Still Morrison is more deserving of this than Sanchez anyways.

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 12943705)

That's why I'm surprised that Moose made it.

Coach 07-04-2017 07:42 PM

3 games over .500 and another series won.

I'm definitely leaning hard that April was just a anomaly. From May 1 to now is what the REAL Royals looks like.

penbrook 07-04-2017 07:43 PM

Morrison could of declined it

penbrook 07-04-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 12943764)
3 games over .500 and another series won.

I'm definitely leaning hard that April was just a anomaly. From May 1 to now is what the REAL Royals looks like.

Told you all we would be buyers and be in the playoffs but what do I know? Everyone here was saying sell sell sell

KChiefs1 07-04-2017 08:28 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...500c17c5b9.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...72a40e61c1.png

penbrook 07-04-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12943838)

1.5 games back!

TLO 07-04-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Speaking of the World Series, I believe we're currently 40:1 to win. Not sure how updated those odds are now.

BWillie 07-04-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12943770)
Told you all we would be buyers and be in the playoffs but what do I know? Everyone here was saying sell sell sell

Hope we stand pat and not give any prospects up unless someone wants Ashe Russell

penbrook 07-04-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12943849)
Hope we stand pat and not give any prospects up unless someone wants Ashe Russell

We might need some more bullpen help

Coach 07-04-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12943852)
We might need some more bullpen help

I think an another good flame thrower would be great but so far, the pen has been holding it together and they had less meltdowns as of lately.

I'm more interested in seeing if there is a solid #4/5 pitcher or a DH help.

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 09:19 PM

17-5 run

Obv we aren't that good but it's been nice

Will have to play Cleve tough obv when we get those chances

penbrook 07-04-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12943906)
17-5 run

Obv we aren't that good but it's been nice

Will have to play Cleve tough obv when we get those chances

We are that good. Everyone in the lineup is hitting. Our starting pitching is 3rd in the AL in ERA and the bullpen has improved. We've always had the talent and the never give up mentality. Royals could be down 12-0 and I would believe they could come back and win. Everyone has the physical side down but baseball is 90% mental. I'm glad the Royals found there spark back

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 09:37 PM

Before today FG odds were 30% playoffs, 2% pennant, 1% title

Not too shabby. If we ever get to 50% playoff it would mean we are leading, because their projections don't like us

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

There are still dumbasses wanting to sale at this point.

Coach 07-04-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12943920)
We are that good. Everyone in the lineup is hitting. Our starting pitching is 3rd in the AL in ERA and the bullpen has improved. We've always had the talent and the never give up mentality. Royals could be down 12-0 and I would believe they could come back and win. Everyone has the physical side down but baseball is 90% mental. I'm glad the Royals found there spark back

That's how I felt in April, that there was just something missing. I figure with the loss of Ventura, the Dyson trade, and the new additions to the team, the chemistry part was just lacking and (also with hitting the ball) contributed to the April disaster.

But I'm more confident (and I rarely agree with Rany, but his comment about April being an anomaly, I would tend to agree with, because the numbers backs it up, and it does pass the eye test) from May to now, this is the Royals that we expected to see.

I will say this, it's a good thing it was only 7-16 instead of 8-20 (in terms of # of games).

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 09:40 PM

Flynn would be nice addition to the pen. Had a sub 3 with us last year I believe.

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 09:41 PM

We've been leading by so much we haven't had Kelvin tossing any gasoline on the fire and wrecking games

BWillie 07-04-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12943933)
There are still dumbasses wanting to sale at this point.

If we arent planning to sign any of our guys count me as one of the dumbasses. Yes, we would be sacrificing this year. Yes, I understand we have a shot at the playoffs. I just dont want to go thru TWO ****ing decades of garbage nonrelevant baseball again. And yes I realize at this point there is no chance that Dayton will do that. And I cant fault him for believing in the squad either

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 09:48 PM

Two decades????

Hyperbole much?

Cleve has done like 3 rebuilds in 15 years

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Id prefer to not resign Cain. In the wrong side of 30 and just looks like he will break down eventually.

Id back up the brinks truck for Moose..

I wouldn't go to crazy in on Hoz. Avg to above avg 1st baseman.

penbrook 07-04-2017 09:51 PM

We're averaging about 5 runs a game after the first 31 games of the season and we also have the best record in the AL since June 1. Yes even better than the Astros

Bearcat 07-04-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

No surprise, some of the miserable ****s here didn't believe they were good enough when they were going to World Series.

And selling doesn't guarantee anything more than buying, of course it's not "a chance at playoff success or 100 loss seasons until the end of time." As a fan, I'll take a down year or two for one more shot with this team and players that have done it before... after that, WTF knows what happens, buy or sell.

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12943951)
If we arent planning to sign any of our guys count me as one of the dumbasses. Yes, we would be sacrificing this year. Yes, I understand we have a shot at the playoffs. I just dont want to go thru TWO ****ing decades of garbage nonrelevant baseball again. And yes I realize at this point there is no chance that Dayton will do that. And I cant fault him for believing in the squad either

This has been discussed and just a horrible way of thinking. You likely still get comp picks for all 3. Maybe not what you get for half a year rental but maybe 2/3 the return instead of trading them in exchange for trying to win. The Royals also spend money these days and have a good GM. Relax.

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12943973)
No surprise, some of the miserable ****s here didn't believe they were good enough when they were going to World Series.

And selling doesn't guarantee anything more than buying, of course it's not "a chance at playoff success or 100 loss seasons until the end of time." As a fan, I'll take a down year or two for one more shot with this team and players that have done it before... after that, WTF knows what happens, buy or sell.

Imagine ever trying to sell tickets again if you pulled the rug out on his team, in contention, after all they've done for this franchise and fanbase

penbrook 07-04-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12943991)
Imagine ever trying to sell tickets again if you pulled the rug out on his team, in contention, after all they've done for this franchise and fanbase

Exactly. The fans deserve one last run if this is the last year for the core. I still think they can sign Moose and Hos

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 10:02 PM

Ive never seen a fanbase that wants to throw in the towel as bad this one does at times.. not here but the FB fan page is full of dip shits.

penbrook 07-04-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12944003)
Ive never seen a fanbase that wants to throw in the towel as bad this one does at times.. not here but the FB fan page is full of dip shits.

Wait so Facebook is worse than CP

Prison Bitch 07-04-2017 10:07 PM

I pray I never get my royals info from lamebook

mr. tegu 07-04-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

It's strange. They think selling guarantees something because of what happened when we sold Greinke and Myers. But those players were not half year rentals whereas all of these would be.

You play to win now with proven winners when you have a chance because even if you build a regular season juggernaut in three years that doesn't mean a whole lot come playoff time. Plenty of teams know all about that.

penbrook 07-04-2017 10:10 PM

The one good thing is that as of right now it looks like we won't have to face Bumgarner in the playoffs. And you know what that means... 2017 World Series Champions baby!!!

BWillie 07-04-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

That is surprising. Most people on Facebook would lose their shit if they sold anything and want this team to buy as much as they can. Selling is a logical proposition. I don't expect it to be a popular one. In a vacuum, I think it would be the best thing for the team to do in the long run. But nothing is in a vacuum, and you run the risk pissing off your fanbase. You really can't explain selling to the common fan if you are in a current WC spot. But, the Royals sure alienated this fan base for two decades. I remember, back in 2011. Nobody around here gave any shits about the Royals. They didn't even know the 3rd best player on the team. The avg fan knew nothing about baseball, they just went to occasional games to eat hot dogs and hope for free Krispy Kreme donuts.

From 1990 to 2012 this team didn't win more than 83 games one year. And from 1997 to 2012 was even worse, and I started really following this team around 1998 when I hit high school or so. It was a long long ****ing journey. I sure as shit don't want to endure garbage again.

tk13 07-04-2017 10:25 PM

One huge catch to selling is the general belief is that pitchers are going to be more in demand than position players. Would it have played out that way? I don't know. But what happens if we had to sell and didn't get good enough deals for any of our guys? That could be ugly.

The Dodgers and Cubs definitely don't need position players, they are loaded as it is. The Nationals need bullpen help badly, as everyone knows. The Red Sox and Astros probably could go for a 3B. The Rockies definitely don't need a 3B. The Yankees could use a 1B if Bird isn't coming back. It doesn't look like there'll be a huge bidding war at some of these key positions, but we'll see. Even the big money teams have all started developing their own players and have a pretty good core group of guys they don't want to block and/or trade away. Meanwhile almost every one of them could use pitching.

penbrook 07-04-2017 10:28 PM

Pitching is key when it comes to winning games in the playoffs. I think we should be good with our current group as is Vargas, Duffy, Kennedy, Hammel or Wood come playoff time. That's actually not bad considering Kennedys improvement. I would like another bullpen arm though

penbrook 07-04-2017 10:32 PM

Damn I didn't know Whit was older than Hos and Salvy.

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12944014)
I pray I never get my royals info from lamebook

It has some cool fan made videos and such but yeah the opinions and discussion are cringe worthy on that page.

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12944016)
It's strange. They think selling guarantees something because of what happened when we sold Greinke and Myers. But those players were not half year rentals whereas all of these would be.

You play to win now with proven winners when you have a chance because even if you build a regular season juggernaut in three years that doesn't mean a whole lot come playoff time. Plenty of teams know all about that.

Just look at what the guys are doing that we gave up for Zobrist and Cueto... jack shit.

penbrook 07-04-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12944056)
Just look at what the guys are doing that we gave up for Zobrist and Cueto... jack shit.

Eh Mananea is doing decent

BigCatDaddy 07-04-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12944064)
Eh Mananea is doing decent

My bad.. yeah he has been solid this year. The Cueto guys not so much. So we have up a middle of the ration guy... would we be hapoy with getting that back trading 2 of the big 3? Worth not going for it?

penbrook 07-04-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12944067)
My bad.. yeah he has been solid this year. The Cueto guys not so much. So we have up a middle of the ration guy... would we be hapoy with getting that back trading 2 of the big 3? Worth not going for it?

No you don't trade any of the big 3 unless it's there #1 or #2 prospect. You can probably trade Herrera to the Nats for a good return piece

duncan_idaho 07-05-2017 02:32 AM

I just refuse to buy the doom and gloom if Kansas City doesn't sell. That doesn't automatically mean another huge wandering in the wilderness.

Duffy, Perez, Kennedy, Hammel, Merrifield, Cuthbert, Strahm, Alexander, Karns is not a bad core. This team isn't returning to losing 100 games. There are good players to build around - and if one of Soler/Mondesi turns into the star they have the talent to be, it also transforms the look.

Lex Luthor 07-05-2017 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12944034)
That is surprising. Most people on Facebook would lose their shit if they sold anything and want this team to buy as much as they can. Selling is a logical proposition. I don't expect it to be a popular one. In a vacuum, I think it would be the best thing for the team to do in the long run. But nothing is in a vacuum, and you run the risk pissing off your fanbase. You really can't explain selling to the common fan if you are in a current WC spot. But, the Royals sure alienated this fan base for two decades. I remember, back in 2011. Nobody around here gave any shits about the Royals. They didn't even know the 3rd best player on the team. The avg fan knew nothing about baseball, they just went to occasional games to eat hot dogs and hope for free Krispy Kreme donuts.

From 1990 to 2012 this team didn't win more than 83 games one year. And from 1997 to 2012 was even worse, and I started really following this team around 1998 when I hit high school or so. It was a long long ****ing journey. I sure as shit don't want to endure garbage again.

Dude. We ****ing get it. You're scared shitless that the Royals are going to suffer through two decades of pure hell if they don't immediately dismantle this team. You've posted the same bullshit at least a hundred ****ing times. Give it a rest.

What part of "selling doesn't guarantee ANYTHING" don't you understand? The Royals aren't going to flip any of their half-season rentals into a bunch of fantastic prospects. It's already been pointed out to you that we don't have Greinke and Will Myers with several years of control as trading chips. With the exception of Herrera, all of these guys are going to be free agents. We aren't going to flip these guys for younger versions of Cain, Escobar, Shields, and Davis. It's not going to happen.

Just stop with the repetitive history lessons. I've been a Royals fan a hell of a lot longer than you have. I've been a fan ever since this team played its very first game in 1969. NOBODY in this world has been a Royals fan LONGER than I have, and I have endured every losing season this team has ever had. I endured all of the horrible years when this team was the laughingstock of major league baseball and every season was not just a losing season, it was a lost season because no progress was ever made towards long-term improvement.

What you are completely ignoring is the fact that this team went into the toilet because Ewing Kauffman died, the team didn't even have an owner for several years, and the farm system was completely obliterated during that time period. This team had no vision and it had no leadership.

Things are completely different now. We have an owner who has been doing all of the right things for over a decade. We have a GM who completely transformed the farm system from a shitty one into a great one. The farm system obviously isn't as deep as it was when Hosmer, Moose, Cain, Duffy, Herrera, Myers, Perez and all of the others were in it because by every measure that farm system was historically good. No farm system is as good as that one was. That doesn't mean today's farm system sucks.

So please SHUT THE **** UP with all of your gloom and doom predictions. It's getting really ****ing old. Relax and enjoy the ride. This team is starting to look a lot like the 2014 team that shocked the world by making it to the World Series. They win games in a completely different way from that team, and they depend upon home runs instead of cyborgs in the bullpen, but this team has shown an incredible amount of heart and resiliency.

So just stop with all of your hand-wringing and your insistence that this team should be dismantled. I appreciate the fact that you care about this team, but you need to ****ing relax.